NWQA9y4fvqTQ9rz5lZU0Ky7avuunQd0OpkNmfOuq
Bookmark
📣 IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THE ADS ON THIS WEB, YOU CAN JUST USE AD-BLOCK, NO NEED TO YAPPING ON DISCORD LIKE SOMEONE, SIMPLE. | JIKA KALIAN TIDAK NYAMAN DENGAN IKLAN YANG ADA DIDALAM WEB INI, KALIAN BISA MEMAKAI AD-BLOCK AJA, GAK USAH YAPPING DI DISCORD KAYAK SESEORANG, SIMPLE. ⚠️

[ENG] Wai no hontō no shokugyō ga [-sei kishi] toka ienai Volume 2 Chapter 5

 

Chapter 5: An Incognito Date in the City



"Yawn... I feel incredibly refreshed for some reason."

Oh, my returning libido is saying hello.

To think I fully recovered after just a single night of sleep, despite releasing so much sexual energy (if you catch my drift) yesterday. I've gotta admire my own libido's resilience. The only problem is that the only outlets for it are either myself or my skills. It's leaning heavily toward the latter lately, though, which is a bit of a shame.

"Sir Holy Knight-sama, you overslept!"

"Hmm? Ah, did I sleep that long? My bad, my bad."

As I blinked away the sleepiness, Rowen was leaning leaning over me, waking me up.

Hmm, I'm usually on edge during escort duty so I shouldn't be oversleeping... but I guess even I'd let my guard down by the eighth day of the pilgrimage. I need to reflect on this.

A single mistake leading to "I couldn't protect Luna" is no laughing matter. I'd never be able to show my face to Mei and Reese again. Or rather, before that even happens, I'd get the death penalty for failing to protect her.

"I believe we will be arriving at the Commercial City, Iriastella, around noon today. This city is famous for enshrining the Hero-sama, you see."

"Oho, the Hero-sama, huh..."

The Hero... the one who led the legendary party that defeated the Demon King in the past.

Nowadays, the name value and achievements of the [Saint] are considered higher, but the accomplishment of defeating a very real, monumental threat—the "Demon King"—was immense. There are still many people who revere him.

...And, speaking of which, I'm just an ordinary guy who supposedly received the same [Holy Knight] class as the one in that Hero's party... Yep.

Every time Rowen calls me "Sir Holy Knight-sama!" with those sparkling eyes, I feel a slight twinge of guilt. But hey, everyone values their own life, Rowen-kun.

I don't wanna die, so as long as I don't get caught, I'll keep being a [Holy Knight]... Though, I wouldn't be completely opposed to dying for a cute girl's sake.

"You might even feel some sense of nostalgia yourself, Sir Holy Knight-sama. After all, it's said that the Hero-sama, the Holy Knight-sama, and the Saint-sama of the past were all from Iriastella!!"

"Y-Yeah. I g-guess so."

Why the hell would I feel anything, you idiot!!! I'm a Sexual Knight.

Dammit, his words are 100% goodwill and respect, so I can't say a damn thing...!!


◇◆◇


The Commercial City—Iriastella.

Characterized by a circular outer wall that enclosed the entire city, it was so massive it could easily rival the Royal Capital.

Living up to its name as a Commercial City, it's famous for a thriving array of trades and businesses.

Rare foods and goods imported from other countries... and apparently, the brothel that I decided to hold back tears of blood and completely avoid, is also the largest in the country... or so I heard.

Well, all of this is info from Rowen, but—

"I'm sure you have no interest in a place like that, right, Holy Knight-sama!"

Since he just had to needlessly stab at my past with a comment like that, all I could do was keep a straight face and say, "Y-Yeah, totally." I haven't even gone yet, give me a break.


"—Tomorrow, then? Understood~"

The person Luna was scheduled to meet for her official duties this time was the elderly guild master overseeing the commercial guild of Iriastella—however, according to the guild master's messenger who greeted us when we arrived at the inn, a sudden issue had come up, and he couldn't make the time for us today.

Well, things never go perfectly 100% of the time, anyway. We had built some buffer days into our schedule, so a one-day delay was no big deal.

"—Since that is the case, please remain on standby at the inn for today~"

Kalmia relayed the situation with a slightly troubled expression.

While Rowen, Galia, and I nonchalantly nodded, Luna, who had been quietly listening, asked Kalmia a question with a slightly restless demeanor.

"Um... What about looking around... the city...?"

"Out of the question."

"...!"

Kalmia flatly shot down Luna's suggestion. Faced with such an absolute refusal that left no room for argument, Luna shrank back as if overwhelmed, weakly nodding while gripping the edge of her dress tightly.

Noticing her reaction, Kalmia crouched down to meet Luna's gaze and spoke to her in an exceedingly gentle tone.

"This is a city where people from other nations come and go. Even if they don't realize you are the Saint-sama, there's no telling if ruffians or dangerous individuals with vile intentions might try to target you, you see~"

"...Okay."

Put like that, Luna had no choice but to agree.

Kalmia's point was entirely valid, after all.

The more people there are, the higher the risk. Especially in this city bustling with foreigners here for trade and business; it was entirely plausible that a minor altercation could quickly escalate into a life-threatening situation.

...That being said, honestly, I figured as long as she had guards with her, we could easily handle a decent amount of trouble. For one thing, as long as it wasn't exposed that she was the [Saint], the actual danger level was quite low.

But Kalmia's phrasing, while sounding like gentle advice, felt almost like she was completely sealing off any avenues of escape.


—Alright, let's sneak her out.

"Kalmia, I'm sure Saint-sama is exhausted from the journey. Why don't you let her rest in her room first? I was planning on heading out to buy some supplies, anyway."

When I spoke up with a smile, a fleeting look of caution crossed Kalmia's face for just a second, but she let out a sigh after seeing my carefree grin and sighed.

"...You have a point. Rowen, escort the Saint-sama to her room."

"Yes, ma'am. Saint-sama, right this way."

"Okay..."

Rowen took the lead, guiding Luna to her room. By the way, we were currently in Kalmia's room. We were speaking with a soundproof barrier magic tool active, so our confidentiality was airtight.

...Still, Luna looked pretty bummed out.

Well, of course she was—this was a rare pocket of free time. It's completely understandable that she'd want to explore an unfamiliar city. Given her age, she probably harbored a longing to see a big city, too.

...It was like a birdcage. Like a bird deprived of freedom, denied the right to fly.

"Alright then, I'm heading out."

"Yes, please take care."

I waved in response to Kalmia's words, and the moment I stepped outside, I swiftly slipped around to the back of the inn to observe the area.

"...Hmm, so Luna's room is over there."

Twelve rooms in total... There aren't many footholds, but I can make it work if I get creative.

While resting my left hand on my chin, I placed my right hand against the outer wall of the inn and felt a faint faint sensation of my magical energy being absorbed.

"Magic-Absorbing Stone, huh? Ah-ha, they certainly picked a place with tight security to lodge the [Saint]."

Magic-Absorbing Stones are a type of stone similar to a magic tool, mostly used as a construction material. Though, they're a massive luxury item.

And for good reason. Magic-Absorbing Stones dampen the effects of skills and magic, meaning half-baked spells or skills probably wouldn't even leave a scratch on them.

They're flawless for preventing break-ins or kidnappings by assassins after someone's life. After all, there isn't any skill out there that lets you fly through the air without touching the walls.

"Well, I can manage it as long as she opens the window. The problem is how to get up there..."

It's easy to say "just don't touch the wall," but if it were that simple, countless assassins wouldn't have shedshed tears and given up. Plus, there were no obstacles around to grapple onto.

"Creativity is key. That's what Master taught me, anyway... Hup, [Holy Shield]!"

I conjured a series of glowing shields at my feet, forming them into a staircase to create a path up to Luna's room.

"No problems with durability, either."

When I firmly planted my foot on it, there was a slight creaking sound—partly because it consumed so little sexual energy to cast—but it was perfectly fine for a disposable foothold.

"A shield, a scaffold, a light source, and even a masturbation aid: the [Holy Shield]. Makes you want one for every household, doesn't it?"

When I'm using it to vent my libido, I'm practically venting onto the Holy Shield itself, making it top-tier material. Wonder if the God who created this skill is furious right now. ...Nah, any God who'd create a class like [Sexual Knight] would probably be thrilled. Who knows, really.

"Alley-oop."

Thinking such nonsense, I finally reached the window to Luna's room. Feeling a mix of guilt for practically peeping and a faint flicker of excitement, I quietly peeked inside to check on her.

"...She's super depressed."

Inside, I saw Luna crouching crouching down, hugging her knees to her chest.

"...Oh, her panties are showing!!"

Probably because of how she was curled up, hugging her clothes tightly against her, her pure white panties were on full display through the window.

...Heh, I'm not the kind of guy who gets turned on by seeing a depressed girl.


—If I could pull off a smooth-guy move like that, I WOULDN'T STILL BE A VIRGIN!!


"I guess I'll just look a little longer for now..."

As I stared intently at Luna's panties, trying to burn the image into my retinas, I suddenly caught my reflection in the window. Realizing how incredibly pathetic my posture and expression looked, my rising excitement withered in an instant.

...What the hell am I doing? We don't have time for this.

I exhaled a deep sigh, switching my mindset from Libido Mode to Fake Holy Knight Mode, and gave the window a light tap-tap-tap.

Noticing the sound, Luna looked up, glancing around frantically. The moment her eyes met mine outside the window, they went wide with shock.

"Yaaay."

I threw up a peace sign and waved at her. Looking slightly panicked, Luna hurried over and opened the window.

"W-What are you doing...?"

"Just here to invite you out to play."

I said it with a lighthearted laugh. Luna's face instantly brightened up—but then immediately darkened again.

"But... if I'm gone, it'll cause a huge uproar. Plus, what Kalmia said wasn't wrong, either..."

"Well, you've got a point. Kalmia was right, and I don't disagree with her. After all, the [Saint] is irreplaceable."

"Yeah..."

Luna nodded, her eyebrows dropping sadly.

My words seemed to only cast an even darker shadow over her expression.

"But none of that matters. Regardless of you being the [Saint] or whatever, Luna as a person is irreplaceable, too. So I don't want to put you in danger, either."

"...Yeah, I know. I'm just happy... that you see me for who I am..."

Looking at my smiling face, Luna spoke, sounding genuinely pleased.

Eh, yeah. I only stated the obvious, though. Anyone is irreplaceable as an individual, class notwithstanding.

But that wasn't the point I was trying to make! Why are you acting like the conversation's neatly wrapped up?

"So, with all that in mind, let me just say one thing."

"...What?"


"—As long as we don't get caught, it's totally fine!"

"!?!?!"


Shooting me a look that screamed, "Are you kidding me?", Luna glanced up at the ceiling as if fighting off a headache—before once again staring at me with an expression that severely doubted my sanity. Ahaha, what a funny face.

"Luckily for us, only the people living in the Royal Capital know what you look like. If we hide you with a cloak, almost no one will notice. ...That said, I'm sure you know there are other dangers out there besides that."

As my expression turned entirely serious, Luna's face tightened in response. She gave a quiet nod, signaling her agreement.

"That's why this outing is strictly for a short time. And you absolutely must not let go of my hand. Those are my conditions."

"...Are you sure?"

"I'm pretty much a complete failure as a guard for doing this. But betting my neck (literally) just to see that happy look on your face? I'd say that's a fair trade."

"...!"

At that, Luna's cheeks suddenly flushed slightly red, and she started stealing glances at my face. She completely ignored the part about my neck being on the line and got embarrassed over the second half!!

...Well, realistically, if anything happens, the responsibility falls squarely on me, and I have absolutely no intention of defending myself. It's my fault, end of story.

And that's exactly why I want Luna to experience all sorts of things, even if it means braving a little danger.

It might just be my own ego talking, but I believe experiences are the greatest treasure of all. They turn into memories, and they become a source of strength.

In the future, she might look back and be glad she did this.

Luna has been deprived of those opportunities her entire life.

I just thought it wouldn't hurt for a BS-spewing [Sexual Knight] to give her that chance.

"You don't expect me to act like the [Saint], do you, Ars?"

"I mean, no matter how you look at it, right now you're just a normal girl longing to see the city. Shouldn't it be fine for you to expect something out of me for a change? Having everyone constantly expect things of you has got to be exhausting, right?"

"――――"

Of course it's tiring to constantly be swarmed with cries of "Saint-samaaa!" and forced to act the part of the [Saint]. After all, a pilgrimage is basically just an endless string of exactly that.

If she didn't get some time to breathe, she'd eventually break.

If it were me, I wouldn't even be surprised if I suddenly snapped, stripped buck naked, and started strutting around the city with my junk swinging in the wind.

You're amazing, Luna. I could never do what you do.

So, it's okay to be a little selfish every now and then, yeah? I've told you this before.

When I smiled at her, trying to convey all those feelings, Luna pressed her lips tightly together with newfound resolve. Reaching her hand out to me, she said,

"Take me out to the city."

"Your wish is my command."

I firmly grasped her outstretched hand.

The very same hand I swore to protect to the bitter end.


◇◆◇


We needed a bit of an excuse to buy some time, so Luna whispered a magic phrase to Kalmia, who was standing guard outside her room.

"I'm tired and want to sleep, so please don't come in."

...There wasn't a single idiot alive who would force their way into the room after hearing that. Besides, no one would expect an attack on a room located on the top floor anyway.

An inn with walls made of Magic-Absorbing Stone, and windows boasting both magical and physical resistance? No matter how skilled they are, any assassin would definitely definitely give up as long as their target was inside this inn.

It's no exaggeration to call it an impregnable fortress—so long as you don't open the window yourself.

Well, she did open the window for me, so my kidnapping attempt was a resounding success.

"Alright, you are not to let go of this hand under any circumstances. There's a decent-sized crowd out there."

"R-Right. Understood."

The hand I was holding tightly was small and warm. Perhaps she was nervous, because her grip on my hand was a little stiff.

It's okay, Luna. You aren't the only one who's nervous here.


—Come to think of it, I've never walked holding hands with a girl before!?!?!


The moment I realized this fact, my tension instantly spiked. So did my excitement.

"Shut up, you're supposed to be her guard," you say? I know that, shut up!

Let me dream a little, won't you? Even Luna looks happily looking around the area—Ah, she's just thrilled by the scenery, not by holding my hand. Got it.

That was close, I almost triggered the classic Virgin Misunderstanding. Might be too late for that, though.

"So, is there anywhere in particular you wanna go?"

"The stalls... I want to look around."

"Sure, let's hit up the market district, then."

According to Rowen's intel, there's a place in the center of the city called the "market district" where a ton of different stalls line the streets. He said rare items pop up there pretty frequently, too.

Relying on the map in my head, we trudged along. Since we'd veered off the main street, the foot traffic began to thin out.

...Hmm.

"I was just thinking, but... when there aren't many people around, maybe holding hands makes us stand out even more? Should we let go?"

"No, I feel anxious... so hold my hand."

"O-Oh..."

Luna squeezed my hand tighter, looking up at me through her eyelashes, and I couldn't help but get embarrassed and flustered.

Her beautiful blue eyes shot me a questioning look, but I could hardly admit I was shaken up because her line sounded a tiny bit erotic, so I just played it off.

"Ahem. So? How does the city look when you're walking through it on your own two feet?"

"...Everything feels so big somehow. I was always just looking down on it all. Being able to see the same scenery from the same eye level... makes me happy."

"...Yeah, it does."

Only ever looking at the cityscape from outside the Royal Castle would get old fast.

Looking down on the citizens from atop a carriage during every pilgrimage must have stirred up some mixed feelings.

...Walking through an unfamiliar city, taking it all in.

Looking at the scenery from the exact same eye level as everyone else.

It's fun, right? Even with my limited travel experience, I totally understood. It must have been so frustrating for Luna all this time.

For the time being, just getting to see Luna relax her lips into a genuinely joyful smile was a massive win in my book.

"Well then, the main event starts now. According to the map... Oh, looks like that's it over there."

The crowd began to swell once more.

Continuing our walk, we finally arrived at the heart of Iriastella—the market district.

"...Wow."

As if influenced by the hustle and bustle of the city, Luna let out a gasp of awe louder than she normally ever spoke.

"It sure is something else."

...The market district was a massive area with countless stalls lining the streets, centered around a circular plaza.

What truly stood out was the sheer number of stalls.

The size of the place was one thing, but the sheer volume of people actively trading goods was a sight you'd never see back in the Royal Capital.

"L-Look, Ars. There are so many people..."

"Aren't there a ton of people around when you're doing your official duties?"

"It's different from looking down at them..."

Luna squeezing my hand in excitement was, to put it mildly, adorable.

I led Luna around, browsing the stalls, and her face lit up as if everything she laid eyes on was some rare treasure.

...Hmm, this is my first time seeing a market district this huge, too... But as a guard, I need to stay calm—

"...!?!?!"

—I-Is that what I think it is? Adult toys...!?

I've heard the rumors. The existence of magic tools imbued with [Vibration] magic.

They say if you apply that to your little soldier, it'll send you straight to heaven... Whoa, I wanna look at it so bad. I wanna stare at it so badly, but... I can't just unleash my libido right in front of Luna...

Mentally hanging my head in despair, I made the gut-wrenching decision to give up.

Completely oblivious to my inner turmoil, Luna happily pulled me along with light steps to one of the stalls.

"An accessory shop, huh?"

Various accessories of all shapes and sizes were on display there.

Earrings embedded with jewels, necklaces crafted from refined magic stones, and so on.

It seems Luna is a girl like any other, as she found herself captivated by the beautifully shining accessories.

"Hey there, buddy. Out on a date?"

"Yeah, pretty much. Jealous?"

"Whew~ Taking such a cute girlfriend out on a date? You're making me jealous."

The stall owner said with a smirk as he looked at us.

Luna was too engrossed in the accessories to hear my "date" comment, but... yep, looks like the Concealment Cloak is working perfectly.

I grinned in satisfaction after confirming the cloak's effects.


—The Concealment Cloak.


Just as the name suggests, it's a magic tool imbued with [Concealment] magic that distorts how others perceive the wearer.

In Luna's current state, people can tell she's beautiful, but they recognize her face as someone they've never seen before.

The tradeoff is that it's less effective against people who already know her real face, and once her identity gets exposed to the surrounding crowd, the deception immediately falls apart.

"Hey, Ars. This is pretty..."

"Yeah, it looks like it would suit you."

Tugging on my sleeve, Luna pointed to a single necklace.

It was a necklace featuring a round gemstone that emitted a faint, red glow.

"Oh, you've got a good eye, missy. This necklace is crafted from 'Milnis,' an ore that can only be mined in the neighboring country. It's actually a magic tool imbued with a [Protection] spell."

"Whoa. So it's a magic tool."

An ore I've never heard of before.

I did sense a strange magical energy coming from it; I guess that's because it's a magic tool.

...The [Protection] effect isn't very strong, but since it boosts the wearer's defenses, it might be a good idea for Luna to have it.

"Milnis..."

She's clearly completely captivated by it, too.

With a wry smile, I snatched the necklace out of Luna's hand and turned to the shopkeeper.

"How much for this?"

"Let's see... Being a rare ore and a magic tool, it normally goes for three gold coins, but... I'll give you a massive discount and lower it to two gold coins!!"

"Sold!!"

"You're a generous one! I like you! I'll knock it down to one gold coin and eight silver coins!!"

"You're the best, pops!!"

For some inexplicable reason, the shopkeeper and I hit it off and passionately shook hands.

Watching our display, Luna blinked rapidly, looking completely bewildered.

By the way, a single gold coin holds enough value to support a commoner for about two years, and my total current life savings amounts to exactly three gold coins.

The [Holy Knight] job pays incredibly well, but there's literally zero time off... Opportunities like this are the only times I actually get to spend my money, so going on a spending spree doesn't hurt my wallet one bit.

"Here, let me put it on you."

"A-Are you sure...?"

"Of course. Coming all the way to the market district and not buying anything? Now that would just be a total buzzkill."

"But it's your money, Ars..."

"It's just easy money, easy money I never get to use anyway. I figure it's better spent seeing a cute girl's smile, don't you think?"

When I flashed a wide grin at Luna wearing her new necklace, she immediately blushed and fidgeted bashfully.

"See, I told you it suits you."

"...Thank you, Ars."

"Don't mention it."

...Just getting to see that smile is more than enough to satisfy me.

—I mean, a beautiful girl's smile is totally my fetish, after all.

It ruins the mood, you say? Shut up. What's wrong with acting honestly for the sake of your own fetish?

Just as I was thinking that, my stomach suddenly let out a loud rumble.

"...Wanna grab something to eat?"

"Yeah."

Come to think of it, I've been moving around non-stop today and haven't eaten a thing. We still have some time, so maybe buying some random street food wouldn't be a bad idea.

Thanking the shopkeeper who sold us the necklace, we departed from the stall.

"There are so many delicious-looking things."

Taking in the scent of roasting meat and the sweet aroma of fruits, Luna murmured with deep interest, looking around in all directions.

In reality, the market was filled with stalls selling food—everything from skewered meats to desserts made from processed fruit.

"Honestly, the food we always eat back at the royal castle tastes way better," I admitted.

"But gaining experience is what matters, right...?"

"Oh, looks like you get it after all."

I deliberately made a remark meant to shatter the illusion, but Luna replied with a look that said she fully understood.

Luna was beginning to realize the importance of experience.

It was the kind of knowledge that couldn't be easily acquired under normal circumstances, and she certainly wouldn't have gained it just by being holed up in the royal castle. She was definitely growing.

"Hmm, maybe I'll go with that one."

"The Evil Horn skewers?"

"Yeah. He's kind of like... a master to me..."

"...?"

I had fond memories of Evil Horn-senpai taking incredibly good care of me during my level grinding.

It's no exaggeration to say I was only able to grow this strong thanks to Evil Horn-senpai. It wouldn't be a stretch to call him my second master. Well, I kill him every time, so my master dies constantly.

Besides, they're super delicious, so I don't really care if my master ends up as a skewer.

While vaguely brushing off Luna's questioning gaze, I called out to the shopkeeper grilling skewers right in front of us.

"Hey, shopkeeper. Let me get two Evil Horn skewers."

"Sure thing. That'll be two silver coins."

...Isn't that expensive? The Evil Horn skewers they sold in Veil were ten copper coins... I know prices vary by region, but...

Considering that thirty copper coins equal one silver coin, that means these are exactly three times more expensive than in the capital.

"They sold for ten copper coins in the capital, but do Evil Horns not really spawn around here?" I asked.

"...Yeah, there aren't any habitats nearby. They're pretty rare in these parts," he replied.

"Huh, interesting, considering I killed an Evil Horn on the way here."

"...If you're just here to be a nuisance, leave."

I took the hand of a wide-eyed Luna and walked away from the stall.

"...What was that about?" she asked.

"A rip-off. We almost got scammed," I explained.

"What's that?"

"It's when they sell things for way more than they're actually worth and make a profit by tricking the customer. Well, it happens all the time."

The shopkeeper's expression. The pauses in the conversation.

With my sharp eyes, it was easy to tell he was ripping us off.

I knew for sure the moment he backed off when I mentioned killing an Evil Horn.

Capable adventurers have a keen eye for quality and value.

He must have realized it was pointless to try and pull a fast one on that kind of person. I mean, I'm not an adventurer, but I certainly dress the part.

"Why would he do something like that?"

"Because he figured out that he can make more money by tricking people. And truthfully, he's not wrong... That's exactly why you need to gain experience so you don't fall for guys like that. Don't you think this was a good learning experience, Luna?"

"Yeah... So this is what it means to gain experience."

What I teach her isn't necessarily always correct. It's not like I received some exceptionally stellar education myself, and it'd actually be kind of problematic if she solely believed everything I said.

That's why I want Luna to experience all sorts of things and learn to judge things with her own eyes.

That was both my wish and my ego talking.


◇◆◇


About an hour and a half had passed since we started wandering the market district, stuffing our cheeks with skewers we bought from another stall.

"...All right, we should probably head back," I suggested.

"Eh... already...?"

Luna cast her eyes downward, looking dejected.

I gave a wry smile at her reaction and explained that being gone for too long would surely raise suspicions, to which she reluctantly nodded.

Phew, I'm glad that even a virgin like me managed to show a girl a good time. Even if, make no mistake, it was the market that entertained her, not me.

"...Let's find some time and come again. Y'know, in this world!! There's a saying that as long as you don't get caught, anything goes!!"

"I think that's wrong."

"Yes, I'm sorry."

I couldn't say a single word back to that perfectly sound logic...

I was just joking, but she made it sound like I meant it from the bottom of my heart.

Saying such ridiculous things, we walked back the way we came.

Her steps were heavy, but Luna's eyes were sparkling—undeniable proof that she had genuinely enjoyed herself.

I was walking forward, secretly satisfied with how things went, when suddenly—I heard a piercing scream from the crowd: "Kyaaaa!!"

"---!?"

"W-What is..."

Naturally curious, we walked toward the source of the scream—and there lay a young boy in filthy clothes, limp and bleeding profusely.

Nearby was a single carriage preparing to speed off.

It seemed the boy had been run over by it.

...That looks like a nasty injury. If he doesn't get treated fast, he could easily die from blood loss.

...Normally, someone would rush over and help him, but everyone just covered their mouths, refusing to break their stance as mere spectators.

"W-Why isn't anyone helping him...?"

Luna looked up at me with a bewildered expression.

What wavered in her eyes was confusion, panic, and perhaps hesitation.

"...Because the collapsed kid is a resident of the slums. They don't have any obligation to help—and they figure that if they do help him, they'll end up with the burden of taking care of him," I explained.

Even in this world where a certain degree of independence was demanded, the spirit of mutual aid was still understood.

Despite that, the slums—a place where orphans, vagrants, and criminals gathered... nobody wanted to help a child who came from there.

It's sad, but that's reality.

But you know, I knew the truth.

I knew that the people around me who possessed the power to help others would never hesitate to act, no matter the circumstances.

"...!"

Luna suddenly let go of the hand she was holding with mine and dashed straight toward the collapsed child.

"H-Hey!! Stop!!"

Someone from the crowd of onlookers surrounding the boy tried to stop Luna from rushing to his side.

However, Luna spoke with unwavering resolve toward the person who tried to stop her.


"――Shut up!!"


"Haha... I really do love people who show strong will when it counts."

Good grief, I really have no idea just how many fetishes I have.

Thinking about such things, I approached Luna, who was desperately casting healing magic on the child, to provide cover so her identity as the Saint wouldn't be exposed.

Ah... for the record, I would also help anyone in danger right in front of me, no matter the situation.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and if I abandon someone in need... well, my little guy definitely wouldn't stand at attention anymore either.


◇◆◇


"We're dispatching sisters from the Church of the Priesthood~! We'll take care of things here, so please, everyone, don't mind us~!"

――With those words, the panic in the plaza subsided.

Since everyone wanted to avoid getting involved anyway, the moment I announced a sister was here, the crowd scattered like spiders and vanished from the area.

"Miss... thank you..." the boy murmured.

"...Yeah. I'm glad you're okay," Luna replied.

Despite his severe injuries, the boy was fully healed without a single scratch just a few minutes after she started her treatment.

...Good thing I decided to hide her while she healed him just in case.

For anyone familiar with medicine or holy magic, watching wounds heal at that speed would have looked incredibly abnormal.

I'd love to say "As expected of the Saint"...

But the one who put in the effort up until now was Luna, and the one who made the decision to save him was Luna. Therefore, the one I praise isn't the power of the Saint, but the individual known as Luna.

"...Will he be okay like that?" Luna murmured with a sorrowful expression, watching the boy happily wave goodbye as he headed back to the slums.

"Anything beyond this isn't our place to step in. Problems in the slums are deep-rooted no matter where you go. At the very least, it's a responsibility we can't take on right now," I said.

I think having a spirit of benevolence is a wonderful thing, you know?

Still, directing it at everything and everyone isn't always the best course of action.

There are plenty of shitty, small-dicked bastards in this world who'll take advantage of people's good intentions to do evil.

It's rare for a good deed to be rewarded in kind. ...Well, I suppose that's not something I need to teach Luna right now.

"Right, let's head back," I said.

"Yeah... Ah..."

I took Luna's hand again, but the moment she took a step forward, she suddenly lost all strength and collapsed on the spot.

"...What's wrong!? Are you okay!?"

"I used too much magic... I can't stand..."

Ah, mana depletion. She was using her healing magic at full power, after all. Makes sense.

If she couldn't walk, it was obvious we'd lose a lot of time. Our little outing might even end up getting discovered.

...Yep, no matter how I look at it, this is the only way!!

Just for the record, I don't have any ulterior motives, okay?? I'm merely trying to put the most optimal solution into practice!!

Well, anyway... what it boils down to is...

"...Here, I'll carry you. Hop on," I offered, crouching down and turning my back to her.

If we want to save time, a piggyback ride is the only option. It's not like I want to feel her pressed up against me... well, not not that, but I firmly believe this is a proposal based heavily on logic and urgency.

If she said something like, "Um, a piggyback ride is a bit much..." here, all I could do would be cry. Cry and wail in despair.

However, Luna didn't seem to mind at all. She silently placed her hands on my shoulders and shifted her weight onto me.

"Nn..."


――Squish.

My back, with its senses sharpened to the absolute max, accurately transmitted the sensation of two soft objects pressing against it.

Then, I felt Luna's breath on my ear, accompanied by a faintly alluring sound.

"...Guh!!!"

"Eh... a-am I heavy...?"

Cursed with a sudden gigantification of my lower half, I instantly assumed a hunched-over posture while carrying her. Sure, leaning forward is a natural part of giving a piggyback ride, but my reaction was clearly so exaggerated that it prompted Luna to mutter that.

However, my mind was entirely focused on the sensation against my back, rendering me completely deaf to her words. ...No, wait, I need to forget this feeling!!

...It's impossible.

The Saint-sama's Holy-sexual breasts are thoroughly corrupting my thoughts.


――Wait?? Were they always this big??


I felt like Luna's armor used to be a bit thinner... Well, she's going through puberty, so I suppose it's normal for things to suddenly grow.

For me, it just means the surface area of the sensation has increased, so jackpot... I mean, no!! Woah woah, calm down.

I'm not a virgin. There's no need to panic.

No wait, I am a virgin. I just got it mixed up with my graduation episode from a dream.

...It's only natural for a virgin to panic when getting turned on by a female body.

All right, let's just count my blessings and head back like this.

"Nah, it's nothing. Let's get walking~"

"Eh, okay."

With my thoughts suddenly regaining their composure, I began the walk back, my lower half throbbing intensely the entire way.

Fortunately, thanks to me leaning forward, no one noticed the massive presence of my stand-up junior.

...That said, there's no telling when my beloved son might bust right through my pants.

Even if that happens, Luna wouldn't notice, but it would be completely obvious to anyone passing by, and if a guard spotted me, they'd definitely classify me as a public obscenity and arrest me.

Therefore, I decided to take a slight detour through the back alleys to return to the inn.

"A-Ars... am I really not heavy...?" she asked again.

"Not at all. You're lighter than a feather. Have you been eating properly?"

"...I had some skewers earlier."

"That's nowhere near enough to fill you up. I'm sure no one would get mad at you if you ate as much as you wanted."

"...I wouldn't be able to forgive myself."

Her words sounded exactly like the grievances of a girl worrying about her weight. Huh, so she actually cared about things like that.

Yeah, yeah, it's important. To nurture emotional maturity, I mean.

"Well, Mei eats quite a lot, you know. Then again, it seems she burns off all that fat through training and missions."

"Mei does... so the secret to her size is... her diet..."

Luna was muttering something under her breath behind me.

The thing about Luna is... she basically stays cooped up in her room all day. Lately, she's been doing some self-training to strengthen her mana, but... you actually need to do full-body exercises to burn fat.

"Either way, you can't just grow all of a sudden. It's only through steady, daily, repeated effort that you can finally grasp your ideal," I told her.

"...Like your swordsmanship, Ars?"

"I'm still a long way from my ideal, though."

I certainly didn't consider myself weak by any means, but I wasn't conceited enough to call myself the strongest. I probably still hadn't surpassed Master in terms of technique, and I didn't have the confidence to say I could beat absolutely anyone.

I did have the confidence to protect what matters, though.

"You work hard, Ars... zzzz..."

"Haha, she fell asleep."

Working hard, huh.

Thinking that she trusted me enough to say something like that made me pretty happy.


――Even now, I'm working hard, focusing all my attention on the sensation against my back.


◇◆◇


"The inn is just ahead, but... if we go through the front door, we'll get caught... And besides, there's something else I need to take care of first."

Glancing over my shoulder, I ducked into an alleyway that led toward the inn.

I'd felt someone sneaking around behind us for a while now, but it seemed... we were being tailed.

"Hey, it's about time you came out. Your presence is leaking so much anyone could notice," I called out.

At my words, a single man stepped out from the shadows.

He was a middle-aged guy in tattered clothes, giving me a vulgar, sleazy look... wait, is he targeting me sexually? Probably not.

"...Hah, so you noticed. Guess you're acting as the sister's bodyguard? I'll give you a piece of advice: leave the little lady on your back and scram. Do as I say, and I won't take your life."

...Did he figure out that Luna is the Saint? No... he called her a "sister," so I doubt it... then what's his goal in targeting her?

"What exactly are you after? She's just a regular sister, you know?" I asked, laughing in exasperation.

The man, almost as if he were showing off, gladly spilled his entire motive.

"Anyone who can heal a brat with injuries that bad, that fast, has gotta have a pretty high standing in the Church of the Priesthood. That's what I reckon. And if that's the case—I could kidnap her, sell her off somewhere, and make a hefty sum!"

He really just laid out his entire plan from start to finish.

Ah, I see. Well, if he saw her healing that kid, it's not unreasonable for him to think that.

She's not affiliated with the Church of the Priesthood, but the guy isn't entirely wrong either. If anything, her status is way higher than a sister's.

A textbook lowlife.

I don't have time for this, so let's wrap this up quickly.

"Whatever, just bring it on, old man. Unfortunately, our princess here is fast asleep. I need to hurry back and tuck her into bed."

I provoked him with a quick beckoning gesture of my fingers, and a vein immediately popped on his forehead as he let his anger take over.

"...Don't fuckin' mess with me, you little brat!!!"

The man lunged at me, swinging his fist. It was a crude attack relying entirely on brute force, completely devoid of any martial arts technique.

That being said, if I countered too forcefully, the movement might wake Luna up. I didn't want to cause her any more unnecessary worry.

I'd love to neutralize him smartly here, but... oh, right. While I'm at it, why don't I unleash an attack that pays respect to Luna?

"Alley-oop."

I applied a slight mana enhancement to my entire body, sidestepped the fist aimed at my face with light footwork, and—delivered a decently powerful kick straight to his crotch.

――Squash.

"O-Ooogh...!! Guh... Ah...!"

The man made a face like he'd just eaten something incredibly sour, let out a final cry of agony, and collapsed to the ground.

A one-hit KO. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to stand up for a while if someone did that to me either... Just doing it made my own balls shrink.

"Alright, then. Time to go home."

I left the writhing old man behind and casually strolled away.

About five minutes of walking brought me to the back of the inn. Deploying my [Holy Shield] in small bursts, I used them as footholds and successfully made it up to our window.

I was a bit worried about the durability since it was supporting two people's worth of weight, but my stamina is something else. This was a piece of cake.

"Phew, managed to finish our city tour without getting caught. As expected of me."

Basking in my own self-praise, I completely failed to realize something in that moment.


――That from the shadow of the trees, Rowen was watching me carry Luna with a deeply troubled expression on his face.

0

Post a Comment

close