NWQA9y4fvqTQ9rz5lZU0Ky7avuunQd0OpkNmfOuq
Bookmark
📣 IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THE ADS ON THIS WEB, YOU CAN JUST USE AD-BLOCK, NO NEED TO YAPPING ON DISCORD LIKE SOMEONE, SIMPLE. | JIKA KALIAN TIDAK NYAMAN DENGAN IKLAN YANG ADA DIDALAM WEB INI, KALIAN BISA MEMAKAI AD-BLOCK AJA, GAK USAH YAPPING DI DISCORD KAYAK SESEORANG, SIMPLE. ⚠️

[ENG] I Got Kissed by the Junior I Hate Volume 1 Chapter 6

 

Chapter 6



It was early afternoon on the day before our business trip. Hanamori and I were out on sales calls in the company car. Staring fixedly out the window, Hanamori hadn't spoken a single word.

"...We have two client visits today, right?"

I tried breaking the awkward silence, but she only offered a terse, "Yes." Her eyes remained locked on the passing scenery outside. The only sound echoing inside the car was the hum of the air conditioner.

...This is so awkward.

She'd been like this since yesterday. Hanamori's behavior was glaringly off. Did I do something? I honestly couldn't recall a thing. Whenever we stopped at a red light, I'd sneak a glance at her, but her expression remained completely deadpan. Was she a Buddha statue? No, even a statue might be more expressive than this.

"...What should we do for lunch?"

"Don't care."

"Want to stop by a convenience store?"

"Either way is fine."

Her responses were so icy it was almost funny. When we pulled up at the next light, I couldn't help speaking up.

"...Hanamori-san. Did I... do something to upset you?"

"Not really."

"Come on, you're clearly giving me the cold shoulder."

"You're just imagining things."

"Imagining things...? You've been like this all day since yesterday."

My grip on the steering wheel tightened slightly.

Hanamori finally turned to face me. Her eyes were shockingly cold—a chilling glare like the Arctic Ocean in midwinter.

"Asami-san, do you seriously not know?"

"Huh? ...Yeah. Sorry, I really don't."

Hanamori let out a long, heavy sigh.

"...Then forget it."

"Wait, hold on."

I was at a loss for words. I had no idea what she meant by 'forget it.' But I didn't want to leave things like this.

"...Because it's bothering me."

"Huh?"

Hanamori's brow twitched.

"I mean, it bothers me when you act like this."

"Why does it bother you? It doesn't affect our work. Besides, it's my problem. It has nothing to do with you, Asami-san."

Hanamori's voice pricked at me coldly.

"No, but still..."

"What is it? You're being persistent."

Hanamori's gaze stung.

"...Why do I care? I don't even know myself."

My voice accidentally grew louder.

"But I hate leaving things like this... I'm sorry, but please just tell me."

Hanamori fell silent, looking at me expressionlessly. I couldn't read her true intentions.

A horn blared behind us. Before I realized it, the light had turned green. I hurriedly stepped on the gas, causing the car to jerk forward a little abruptly.

The sound of the air conditioner. The distant noise of construction. The gnawing ache in my stomach. The sharp throbbing in my chest.

Hanamori let out a quiet sigh.

"...I'm glad you had a good time drinking with Asakura-san last Friday."

That single sentence sent a chill down my spine.

—Ah, so that's what this is about. I felt thoroughly disgusted by my own dense cluelessness.

"...About that, um, I'm sorry."

"Sorry?"

Hanamori's tone grew even colder.

"When you asked if I was with Asakura-san... I just reflexively said 'no.'"

"Reflexively?"

"No, I mean..."

"Do you have something to hide?"

Hanamori stared intently at me. Her cold gaze was agonizing.

"It has nothing to do with me if the two of you go out drinking anyway."

"Hanamori-san..."

"I'm happy for you, getting to go drinking with the person you like."

Every single word was dripping with hostility. Her expression was blank, her eyes completely lifeless.

Scary. She's incredibly terrifying right now.

"...No, that's not it at all."

"What isn't it? Just forget it."

"No, I can't just forget it."

"Turn right at the next intersection."

Hanamori relayed the navigation prompt in a strictly professional tone. She clearly had zero intention of continuing our conversation.

I turned right as instructed.

...Wait, what?

A bad feeling washed over me. Glancing at the GPS, we were completely off route.

"...Hey, Hanamori-san."

"What is it?"

"Isn't this the wrong way?"

A sudden look of panic crossed Hanamori's face. She hurriedly checked her smartphone, the GPS screen, and out the window.

"...Ah."

"'Ah' isn't going to fix this."

"I'm sorry, we were supposed to turn left back there."

"Supposed to turn left...?"

My voice raised involuntarily.

The navigation system announced, "Recalculating route," in a monotone, robotic voice.

Looking at the updated estimated arrival time, Hanamori let out a quiet "Eh?" before muttering softly.

"...We're not going to make our appointment on time."

"Huh?"

"Our meeting is at 2:00 PM, right? It says we'll arrive at 2:15."

Hanamori went pale.

"I need to contact the client..."

As Hanamori reached for her phone, my frustration got the better of me, and the words slipped out.

"Seriously though... how did you manage to give me the wrong directions?"

"You should have been looking at the GPS yourself before turning, Asami-san!"

"Because you told me to turn right with total confidence!"

"Huh? Why are you blaming me?"

With every word exchanged, the atmosphere inside the car grew progressively worse.

Then, Hanamori spat out bitterly.

"...Sigh. This is exactly why I hated being paired with you for sales calls."

"Huh?! Well, I didn't want to pair up with you either!"

"Then you should have turned it down from the start!"

"As if I could just turn it down! It's our job!"

"Same goes for me!"

Our argument showed no signs of stopping.

The temperature inside the car skyrocketed as if reaching a boiling point, making the previous icy tension feel like a lie. Suddenly, Hanamori fell quiet. Taking a deep breath, she spoke softly and calmly.

"...I'm going to ask the Department Manager to dissolve our sales pairing."

"...Huh?"

My mind went completely blank. Dissolve our pairing?

"You'd prefer it that way too, wouldn't you, Asami-san?"

Hanamori's voice was strangely calm.

Her anger from moments ago had vanished as if it were never there.

"Because I honestly can't stand breathing the same air as you anymore."

A sharp pang stabbed deep in my chest.

Can't stand it...? Did she really have to go that far?

Defensively, bluffing words spilled from my mouth.

"...Huh? Fine! Go ahead and tell him then!"

My voice was trembling. Whether I was angry or something else, I couldn't tell myself.

"I'd get way more work done without you around anyway!"

Hanamori turned her body toward the window, turning her back on me completely. I gripped the steering wheel tightly.

Fine, see if I care.

I drove a short distance further before making a U-turn to get back on track.

The hum of the air conditioner sounded unnaturally loud.

The atmosphere in the car was at rock bottom. Our relationship had hit an all-time low.

It felt even more distant than before we became sales partners—farther than before that kiss.

...Ugh, wait. Why am I remembering that kiss right now?

I didn't want to think about it. Yet, of all times, the memory rushed back with vivid clarity. Heat slowly crept into my face. My grip on the wheel tightened even further. As usual, Hanamori kept staring out the window in absolute silence.

All I had to do was go to the client site, do the work, and head back.

That was all, yet my chest remained in a constant state of turmoil.


***


That evening, as I was conducting final checks for the upcoming business trip at my desk, Tamura-san approached me.

"Asami-san, Hanamori-san, got a moment?"

Both of us looked up at the same time.

Tamura-san lowered his brows, offering an apologetic look.

"...Sorry, guys. I won't be able to make it on tomorrow's trip."

""Huh?""

Hanamori and I chorused in unison.

"An urgent issue popped up with one of our major existing accounts, so I have to rush over to apologize in person tomorrow. High-level executives are involved on their end, so I can't back out. I'm really sorry, but... could the two of you handle tomorrow's trip by yourselves?"

""What?""

Our voices harmonized once more.

(This is the absolute worst...………………)

I felt utterly dismayed inside.

Without Tamura-san around, there was zero buffer between us. I'd have to endure two days and one night of that icy atmosphere alone with Hanamori.

"...Understood."

It was work, so there was no choice. I forced myself to answer calmly.

Glancing to the side, Hanamori remained silent with her head lowered.

Normally, she would have whined in a sweet, flirtatious voice, "Eww, really? You can't come with us, Tamura-san? I'm so sad~" or "But since you're asking, I'll do my best for you, okay? ♡"

She would've put on her usual calculatedly cute act. But right now, she just kept staring down with her lips pressed tightly together.

"I'm truly sorry. But you two are both capable, so I know you'll do great."

Tamura-san offered a reassuring smile, but it didn't cheer me up in the slightest. That wasn't the issue at all.

"We'll do our best."

"...Okay."

Hanamori's voice was unusually quiet. After Tamura-san left, silence settled over us once more. Just Hanamori and me.

"...All right, see you tomorrow at Shinagawa Station at nine."

I spoke without even making eye contact with Hanamori. She didn't look up either, giving only a faint nod. I couldn't even tell what kind of expression she was making.

Neither I nor Hanamori had any way of knowing that such a major incident would take place during this business trip.


***


"Good morning! You're early, Hanamori-san!"

A figure stood in front of the ticket gates. From the dark aura emanating around her, I instantly recognized Hanamori even from a distance.

I greeted her as brightly and cheerfully as possible, wearing a full smile. I knew things were awkward, but spending the whole day trapped in a heavy atmosphere was out of the question. So I tried my best, pumping up my energy to about thirty percent higher than usual.

"…………"

All I received in return was a slight bow and silence.

She didn't even make eye contact. Hanamori kept her eyes glued to her smartphone, completely ignoring my presence.

Just a few days ago, we were talking normally. In a moment like this, the old Hanamori would have spat out a sarcastic remark like, "You're late."

"Well, shall we head to the Shinkansen platform?"

My voice echoed hollowly. Dragging her suitcase behind her, Hanamori promptly started walking ahead.

I couldn't help feeling annoyed.

Sure, I'll admit I was in the wrong. But did she really need to ignore me to this extent? We're adults—couldn't she meet me halfway a little?

Staring at Hanamori's back as she walked ahead of me, I let out a soft sigh.

On the Shinkansen, we sat side by side—Hanamori by the window, me by the aisle. Though physically close, the emotional distance between us felt farther than Tokyo to Osaka.

"Hey..."

The moment I tried to speak, Hanamori put in her earphones—a complete shut-out. Woah, seriously? Who even goes that far? Giving up, I stared out the window opposite her. As the bullet train began to move, a chill drifted over. It wasn't from the air conditioner, though—it was emanating directly from Hanamori.

I caught a reflection of Hanamori's profile in the glass. Completely expressionless, I had no clue what she was thinking. *Sigh.* I really have a bad feeling about this business trip.

"Hey, do you want some snacks?"

About an hour later, I tried speaking up again, pulling out a bag of snacks I had bought at the station kiosk. I somehow remembered Hanamori saying before, "I'm actually not big on sweet things," so I had picked out a salty flavor.

Hanamori removed one earphone and looked at me. Brow furrowed, eyes cold.

"...I don't want any."

A simple rejection, delivered with an intensely annoyed expression.

Huh? Why make a face like that just because I offered a snack? It's not poisoned or anything.

A sharp prick of pain pierced deep in my chest.

I didn't mind Hanamori's sassy attitude—if anything, it was what made our banter so lively. But this indifference was different. She was shutting me out completely. I had probably never been treated so coldly before. Realizing someone could dislike me so overtly made me feel suffocated.

"...I'm gonna head to the restroom for a bit."

Leaving behind a mysterious announcement despite Hanamori not even listening, I stood up from my seat. I just wanted to escape this suffocating atmosphere—I couldn't take the freezing air radiating off Hanamori any longer.

As I stood, I thought I saw Hanamori's shoulder twitch slightly.

The Shinkansen restroom was cramped, but simply being away from the tension beside me made breathing so much easier.

I let out a heavy sigh.

Sitting on the toilet lid, I stared at my reflection in the mirror. My eyes were slightly misty.

Why am I feeling so down?

She was just a junior coworker. Calculating, flirting with guys, cold to me, sassy. But I loved how comfortable it was to laugh while bickering with her. Was I the only one who felt that way? Can't we go back to how things used to be?

My chest throbbed painfully.

Taking a deep breath, I stood up—and the moment I pulled up my pantsuit...

*Riiiip!! Riiiiiiip!!!*

"Huh?"

Hearing the sound of tearing fabric, I timidly checked in the mirror.

My pantsuit had ripped to a shocking degree. Right across the rear, split cleanly down the middle.

Peeking out through the rip was my underwear.

And of all days, I had somehow picked that color today.

...No, let's not go there. Forget the color.

If I went back to my seat like this, my underwear would be on full display—to Hanamori, and everyone around us.

What do I do?

I mean, why today? Of all times, on the day I'm on a business trip with Hanamori in the worst mood imaginable?

God, aren't you giving me a little too many trials today?

First getting completely ignored by Hanamori, and now my pantsuit's destroyed, leaving my underwear totally exposed.

I stared at myself in the mirror.

A comical sight, desperately pressing my hands over the seat of my suit to hide the tear.

This is awful. The day has barely started. In my head, Hanamori's icy face replayed over and over. I pictured what would happen if I explained the situation to her—I was terrified she'd glance at me with those cold eyes and casually pretend she didn't know me.

All the heartache from earlier vanished in an instant. Now I was about to cry for a whole different reason.

Our appointment with the client was in an hour. There was no time to stop by a suit shop—and besides, I'd have to walk around showing off my underwear the whole time.

That said, charging into the meeting like this would practically be a crime. Going to a business meeting with your underwear exposed meant your career as an adult was over. No, my life as a woman—as a human being—would be over.

Should I just tell the client honestly that I'll be late?

No, but how would I phrase it? "I'm deeply sorry, my pants split"—I couldn't say something so embarrassing! It would leave a terrible impression for such an important meeting. Or worse, they'd treat me like a pervert and we'd definitely lose the contract.

Even trying to fabricate a plausible excuse, my brain was in such a panic that I couldn't come up with a decent reason for being late.

Aaah... I've done it now.

It was the pantsuit I bought back when I was a fresh recruit, at my thinnest.

Thinking, It's a little tight, but it should be fine, and carelessly putting it on had been my mistake. I had thought I might've gained a bit of weight recently. But unwilling to admit it, I chose this pantsuit anyway. It was entirely my own fault. Still, desperate times called for desperate measures. I had no choice but to ask Hanamori, even if it was a long shot.

I returned to my seat, crab-walking like a suspicious person while clutching my rear. I felt like the other passengers were staring at me with dubious eyes. Their gazes stung. Please don't look at me, I begged in my head, bowing mentally as I shuffled along.

"Um, Hanamori-san..."

I poked Hanamori's shoulder softly, lowering my voice.

Hanamori took out her earphone and looked at me. Without twitching an eyebrow, her face was cold as an ice sculpture.

"...What is it?"

Her voice was sub-zero, too. Maybe this exact spot was the South Pole.

"Well... my pantsuit kind of ripped a little. You wouldn't happen to have a spare pair of suit pants or a skirt, would you?"

Although truth be told, calling it "ripped a little" was a massive understatement.

Hanamori's expression turned even colder.

A look that practically said, Huh? What's wrong with her? Her eyes were dead set on Are you out of your mind?

Well, yeah. She probably thinks, 'What kind of nerve does this person have, asking someone she's fighting with to lend her pants or a skirt?'

But the situation was what it was. I couldn't help it.

My pride had long since ripped to shreds right alongside my suit.

"...I do have one spare set, but..."

"Ehhhh!? No way!? Really...!?"

Hanamori, who had looked like a demon until a second ago, suddenly appeared as a goddess. I could practically see a halo glowing behind her.

However, Hanamori continued staring intently at my face with suspicion.

"Did it really rip?"

A look of doubt. She clearly didn't believe me at all.

"Uh, yeah, well, less 'ripped'... more like 'split'..."

"Show me."

What did she just say?

"Huh? Eh? Ummm...?"

"I said show me."

She was suspicious. Suspecting I lied just to manufacture an excuse to talk to her. Unsubstantiated claims rejected—present the proof. The OJT senior who had taught her that evidence was essential for working adults and business professionals was none other than me. The seeds I had sown were sprouting now in the worst possible way. But desperate times called for desperate measures.

"F-Fine, okay."

We headed toward the restroom. I silently followed behind Hanamori's cold back, feeling just like a prisoner being led by an executioner.

Stepping into the restroom area, thankfully no one else was around.

Timidly, I showed my evidence—my rear—to Hanamori, slowly lifting my hands from where they had been covering it.

The suit pants split wide open vertically right down the middle, with my underwear peeking through.

A heavy, stifling silence.

How much time had passed?

I felt Hanamori's gaze from behind. What kind of face was she making? Was she mad? Dumbfounded?

I nervously turned around and glanced at her.

Hanamori was looking down, clutching her hand over her mouth.

"...Pfft."

A tiny sound leaked from Hanamori, her shoulders shaking.

"...Heh, eheheh."

"Huh?"

"Ahahaha!!"

The next instant, Hanamori burst into hysterical laughter.

Holding her stomach, tears even welled up in her eyes. How long had it been since I last saw a smile like this on Hanamori's face?

Or rather, I felt like I was seeing it for the very first time. For that Hanamori to laugh so hard...

"Ahahaha! Asami-san, this is incredible, absolutely unbelievable!"

"H-Hey, don't laugh!"

"No, no way, it's impossible not to laugh! Pfft, ahahaha! It's split right down the middle!"

Hanamori couldn't stop laughing.

Is someone else's misfortune really that hilarious to her? As expected, she really has a rotten personality.



"Asami-san, you're seriously unlucky. And on top of that, the color of that underwear—"

"Don't say it!!"

Seriously. Why of all days did it have to be this color?

"Ahahahahaha!"

Wiping tears from her eyes, Hanamori clutched her stomach and kept giggling uncontrollably. She seemed completely unable to break out of her laughing fit.

At that point, I had no choice but to laugh too.

"...Haha, hahaha."

Before long, her laughter proved contagious, and I was cracking up alongside her.

Two adult women. One of them with a torn pantsuit. What a surreal scene.

Why was this so funny? Even though we were in the absolute worst situation just moments ago.

Hanamori's laughing face was strangely adorable, her drooping eyes brimmed with tears and her cheeks flushed red.

"Phew... I haven't laughed like that in forever,"

Hanamori said, wiping away her tears. The icy expression from before had completely vanished.

"Alright. I'll lend you my spare skirt then."

"Thank you, Hanamori-san."

"Don't mention it. But make sure to double-check your size next time, okay?"

With that, Hanamori burst out laughing all over again.

I could only think she was genuinely enjoying my critical predicament. This girl really had a terrible personality.

Yet somehow, that smile of hers felt dazzling.

Hmm, why are tears welling up in my eyes?

Hanamori's figure blurred before me. My chest felt full and warm. I decided to tell myself I was just laughing until I cried.

...Yeah, it's definitely tears of laughter.

I successfully put on the skirt borrowed from Hanamori. Since I usually only wore pantsuits, a flared skirt felt restless. Looking in the mirror, it felt totally out of place, and I could feel the breeze.

Still, I was grateful just to have something protecting me from flashing my underwear. If not for this skirt, I would've been a public offender by now.


***


"...Well then, with the contract starting on the first of next month, we look forward to working with you."

Bowing to the portly director, we left the conference room. We had successfully closed the deal with our major client.

The moment we stepped out of the conference room, my eyes met Hanamori's.

"We did it."

"Yeah, we sure did."

Hanamori and I exchanged glances and shared a brief smile.

There had been the major crisis of my pantsuit tearing, but all's well that ends well.

My bad luck must have run out right then and there.


***


After finishing our dinner meeting with the clients, we headed toward our hotel. It was the first time we were alone since the Shinkansen ride.

Streetlights illuminated the night road. Hanamori walked silently beside me.

Our eyes occasionally met, only for both of us to avert them instantly. Neither of us knew what to say. Only the rhythmic clacking of our heels echoed in the quiet air.

"...Um, thanks a lot, really."

I quietly let the words drop.

"If you weren't there, Hanamori-san, I would've been completely done for today."

"...It's nothing. It's just work."

A blunt response. Is she still mad?

I thought we had made up, especially after laughing together so much on the train.

Yet something was still lingering between us.

Deep down, I knew what it was.

I hadn't properly apologized for telling that sly lie on the spot. That lie had hurt Hanamori. I had said "sorry," but that was just a quick cop-out to get through the moment.

I wanted to apologize sincerely, but the words wouldn't come out.

Before long, we reached the hotel. Just the two of us inside the elevator, surrounded by an awkward air and silence until we got off on the third floor. Me in Room 302, Hanamori in Room 303—right next door to each other.

"Well then, good night." "Good night."

The sound of the door closing echoed unnaturally loud.

A cramped single room. A small single bed, equally cramped, and a compact desk.

Taking a shower, changing into pajamas, I lay down on the bed. A late-night variety show featuring popular comedians was playing on TV, but the content wasn't registering in my head.

...Is Hanamori asleep already? I recalled a casual conversation we had joked about before the trip.

"Which means... we'll be taking baths together too, right?"

"We'd just be taking a bath together normally as coworkers—what were you imagining?"

Remembering it now made my heart flutter with anxiety.

...Did she already take her bath?

The moment that thought crossed my mind, an image popped into my head.

Hanamori taking a shower. Damp hair. Skin wrapped in steam.

"...Ngh."

I shook my head. What am I thinking!?

Gross. Seriously gross of me.

Yet once pictured, the mental image refused to go away.

Hanamori's fair skin. Slender shoulders. Curved rear. And...

Uaaah, I can't take this anymore! I buried my face in the pillow.

Sleeping in separate rooms was completely normal. We were working adults, just senior and junior. Not lovers, nor close friends. Business partners—nothing more, nothing less.

...Even though I knew that full well.

Why am I feeling so lonely?

Why do I want to talk to her more?

What is this feeling?

Staring at the TV, my eyelids gradually grew heavy. The clock hands were about to pass 1:00 AM. Oh man, I stayed up a bit too late.

I have an early start tomorrow, I really should sleep soon—or so I thought, right at that moment.


*Ding-dong-ding-dong-ding-dong-ding-dong-ding-dong-ding-dong-ding-dong!!!!*

"...Huh!? What!? What's going on!?"

What's going on!? A fire!? An intruder!? What on earth is happening at one in the morning!?

Still half-asleep, I reflexively sat bolt upright.

The doorbell wouldn't stop ringing. Tch, who the hell is it at this hour?

Wait, was my TV too loud or something?

Still, repeatedly mashing the doorbell this violently in the middle of the night... What kind of nerve do they have?

Half annoyed and half frantic, I yanked the door open, only to be greeted by—

Hanamori, on the verge of tears.

Her hair was disheveled, and her face was deathly pale. She wore what you might call night lingerie—a thin satin camisole with a low-cut neckline—under a cardigan draped over her shoulders. ...I couldn't help my eyes from straying to the mole on her chest.

No, no, that doesn't matter right now.

"...Huh? What's wrong?"

My voice sounded terribly dumb.

"A-A cockroach!! There's a cockroach in my room!!!!"

Hanamori was in a state of total panic. Her eyes were watery, looking as if she were about to burst into tears at any second.

She was like a completely different person from the cold girl I'd dealt with earlier today.

"Asami-san, please swap rooms with me!!"

"No, no, no, not a chance!"

I shot her down immediately.

"Why not!?"

"What do you mean why!? I don't wanna sleep in a room with a roach either!"

"Then come exterminate it for me, Asami-san!!"

"No way!! I hate them too!"

"What!? Why are you so useless despite looking so reliable!?"

"Shut up! If I hate them, I hate them!!"

"Ugh, you're completely useless! If Tamura-san were here, he would've killed it for me! Tamura-saaannn!"

"Hey, keep it down! Calling for him now isn't gonna change anything!"

"That cockroach is definitely a final boss level!! It was at least ten centimeters long!!"

"Eeeeeek!"

"And then it flew straight at meeee!!"

"Eeeeeek! Yeah, no, absolutely not! Sorry!! Good night!"

I tried to slam the door shut to escape, but Hanamori forced it back open.

"Are you really going to abandon your cute junior!?"

"Don't act cute only when it suits you!! ...J-Just call the front desk!"

"Didn't the sign say the front desk closes at midnight!? I already tried calling them and nobody picked up!"

...Oh wow, she's right.

In shared despair, we stared at each other. Hanamori looked up at me with watery, pleading eyes. Unlike her usual self, she looked completely like a helpless puppy begging for assistance.

Then, we both let out a heavy sigh simultaneously. What on earth were we supposed to do...?

After pondering for a moment, Hanamori looked down and mumbled softly.

"...Then, can I sleep here too?"

"............Huh?"


***


Hanamori gingerly crept into the room. She felt like a totally different person from the cold Hanamori of this morning. The click of the door locking sounded unnaturally loud.

Now then, in this cramped single room, there was only one small twin bed.

What was I supposed to do now?

"Um..."

Hanamori started to say something, but I spoke up first.

"Hanamori-san, you can take the bed. I'll sleep on the floor."

"No, I couldn't possibly let you do that."

Hanamori shook her head.

"It's fine, really. I actually prefer sleeping on the floor."

"What do you mean you prefer sleeping on the floor? That's an obvious lie."

Hanamori glared at me slightly, fixing me with a gaze dripping with suspicion.

"Well, do you want to sleep on the floor then, Hanamori-san?"

"...I don't want to do that either."

"Then just take the bed."

Our back-and-forth went nowhere. Silence fell as we both stared at the single bed.

"...Oh, whatever."

Hanamori mumbled quietly.

"Huh?"

"You'll catch a cold. Let's just share it."

My mind froze. What did she just say?

"N-No, but..."

"Is it really that awful to sleep next to me?"

Hanamori asked, giving me a slight glare. Her face seemed a tiny bit redder than before.

"It's not that I hate it, but... isn't it too cramped?"

"It is cramped, but who cares at this point?"

Hanamori sat right down on the edge of the bed. I turned my back and sat down on the opposite side.

"Alright, I'm turning off the lights then."

In the pitch-black darkness, we both lay down on the bed.

It was tight. Insanely tight. Way tighter than that Couples' Booth at the manga cafe back then.

Even with both of us clinging to the outer edges, parts of our bodies were constantly touching. Shoulders, arms, thighs. My heart was pounding ridiculously loud.

Hanamori's body heat seeped into me, and the soft sensation of her skin never left mine.

No, no, impossible. I can't sleep like this. There's no way in hell I can sleep. Even though we were facing away from each other, our backs and hips remained pressed together. The rhythm of Hanamori's breathing vibrated directly against my back.

Just then—

""Um—""

Our voices overlapped.

"You can go first, Hanamori-san."

"No, no, you go ahead, Asami-san."

"Well, then... Sorry about earlier. For lying to you."

I broke the ice.

"I'm... sorry too. For having an attitude and saying awful things."

Hanamori's voice trembled slightly.

"No, no... it was my fault. I couldn't be honest with you about Asakura-san."

"No, it's okay. I kind of figured it out anyway. That you were going out drinking with Asakura-san that day."

Hanamori chuckled softly. The vibration of her voice passing through my back felt pleasant.

"You're so easy to read, Asami-san."

"...Ugh."

"I knew it, but still..."

Hanamori continued.

"Whenever I saw you talking to Asakura-san or being friendly with her, I just got annoyed."

"...Why?"

My heart skipped a beat.

"...I don't know."

Silence fell again, leaving only the sound of heartbeats. I couldn't tell if it was mine or Hanamori's.

After a while, Hanamori spoke up once more.

"...When I said I hated being sales partners with you, that wasn't how I really felt."

Her voice was uncharacteristically honest.

"Yeah. Me too."

"I am grateful to you. Just a little bit."

"Only a little bit? I take care of you a whole lot, you know."

I laughed.

"...Well, okay. I'm actually pretty grateful."

Hanamori's quiet laughter vibrated pleasantly against my back.

Silence returned. But this time, it was a warm, comfortable silence.

Before long, I began to hear Hanamori's gentle breathing as she fell asleep. I closed my eyes too, but sleep wouldn't come.

It was probably because of how closely our bodies were pressed together. Hanamori's heat, her soft touch—everything remained sharp in my awareness.

That was when I heard a rustling sound behind me. It sounded like Hanamori was turning over.

The very next instant—something wrapped around my waist. An arm. Hanamori's arm had slid around my waist.

—Huh!?

And then, something pressed against my back. Soft... breasts.

My back and Hanamori's body were now pressed completely flat against each other.

Hanamori's soft breath tickled the nape of my neck.

"Eep, Hanamori-san!?"

My body jolted with a start, letting out an incredibly pathetic squeak.

"...Mm. It's so narrow... I feel like I'm gonna fall off..."

Her half-asleep voice was sweet and raspy.

The arm wrapped around my waist didn't move. The breasts pressed against my back stayed right where they were.

If anything, it felt like she was hugging me just a little bit tighter than before.

...There is no way in hell I can sleep like this.

Hanamori's body heat, her breath, her soft touch. All of it bombarded my senses.

My heart thrashed in my chest, sending waves of restlessness through me. The pounding of my heart was deafening.

No, this is bad. Even as I thought that, I couldn't bring myself to push Hanamori away. A part of me even wished we could stay like this forever.

Hanamori's steady breathing brushed rhythmically against my neck.

It seemed she had really fallen fast asleep this time.

I was the only one left lying awake in the dark, staring into the gloom while feeling Hanamori's warmth.

I couldn't sleep at all. I was wide, wide awake.

Outside the window, the world was still cloaked in deep darkness.


***


"Asami-san, aren't the dark circles under your eyes pretty intense?"

Hanamori said the instant we met in the hotel lobby that morning.

The front desk staff had exterminated the cockroach early in the morning, allowing her to safely retrieve her luggage.

"...I couldn't sleep."

"Well, it was really cramped. Sorry about that."

"Ah, no, that's not why..."

"I slept like a log, though."

Hanamori remarked nonchalantly.

You've got to be kidding me. After being that glued to me? After wrapping your arm around my waist and pressing your chest against my back? You slept like a log!?

"...Good for you."

I replied weakly.

Apparently, I was nothing more than a giant body pillow to her.

"While you're checking us out, I'll go buy us some coffee at the convenience store."

With that, Hanamori ducked into a nearby convenience store.

Watching her walk away, memories of last night flooded back. Hanamori's body heat, her breath. The softness of her breasts against my back.

Ah, damn it. I'm thinking weird thoughts again.


***


We headed out for a sales appointment scheduled for the morning. I delivered our pitch using the materials we had prepared.

Hanamori's support was flawless, successfully putting us on track to close the deal.

"Great work today. I'm glad today's meeting went smoothly too."

I said to her after we stepped out of the office building.

"Yes. It's all thanks to me."

"You really shouldn't say things like that about yourself."

"Well, since you never praise me, Asami-san, I have to praise myself."

"Huh? I was literally just about to praise you. Never mind, forget it."

We laughed together. This girl's brazen attitude really was as shameless as ever.

Bantering silly like that, we left the client's office behind.


***


In the afternoon, we completed another in-person client meeting before heading directly to a nearby co-working space.

There, we knocked out online appointments with existing clients and attended sales department meetings.

After powering through a packed schedule, before I knew it, it was already 6:00 PM. Outside the window, darkness had already fallen.

"Should we head back soon? We can just grab unreserved seats on the bullet train."

"Sounds good. Looks like the next Shinkansen leaves at 6:40 PM."

Since we had plenty of time to spare, we decided to walk to the station.

Stepping outside, the streets were glowing with winter illuminations. Countless fairy lights wrapped around the roadside trees brought color to the chilly winter night. It seemed to be quite a famous spot, crowded with tourists.

And everywhere I looked, couples caught my eye.

Couples walking hand-in-hand. Couples huddling shoulder-to-shoulder. Couples taking photos of each other. Everywhere you looked: couples, couples, couples.

Hanamori and I walked side by side in silence under the twinkling illuminations.

...Honestly, it was super awkward.

I wondered if we looked like a female couple to anyone passing by. No, at this distance, there was no way we looked like a couple.

“Haaah. What did I do to deserve walking down a street like this with Asami-san?”

Hanamori muttered quietly.

“Hey, that's my line.”

I fired back immediately.

“If I were walking with Tamura-san, it'd definitely be such a romantic mood.”

Her usual deliberate bantering tone. That familiar feeling of Hanamori teasing me with her cold shoulder.

—I was happy.

Part of me was genuinely glad that we could talk like this again.

When we were fighting, we couldn't even manage a conversation like this. Cold glares, being ignored, keeping her distance. But now, here we were, bickering and laughing together.

“Still, the illuminations are pretty.”

Saying that, Hanamori stopped and slowly looked up.

Her profile lit up by the lights. Puffs of white breath escaping her slightly parted lips. Countless points of light reflected in her eyes.

Reflecting the illuminations, Hanamori's eyes sparkled like jewels. Gazing into the sea of lights with an innocent, childlike expression.

“Yeah, they really are.”

I replied, looking at Hanamori.

“Want to take a picture together?”

Hanamori asked.

“Huh? You want to take one?”

“Well, for the memory.”

“Ah, I get it. You're gonna crop me out and use it on social media to hint that you're on a date with a boyfriend.”

“What kind of person do you think I am? I wouldn't do that.”

Hanamori let out a soft chuckle as she pulled out her phone. She adjusted her scarf a bit and patted down her bangs. That subtle gesture looked terribly cute.

Switching to selfie mode, Hanamori stood on her tiptoes slightly to adjust the angle.

Seeing her like that, like a small animal, was cute too.

“Alright, I'm taking it.”

*Snap.*

“One more.”

Hanamori said, tilting her head slightly toward me this time with the corners of her mouth turned up.

That gesture. That angle. That expression.

Cute.

*Snap.*

Hanamori looked at her phone and immediately held the screen out to me.

“Pfft, ahaha! Asami-san, your eyes are half-closed in this picture!”

“Whoa, you're right. Delete that!”

“No way. Maybe I'll make this my phone wallpaper.”

“Definitely don't!”

“I'm obviously joking.”

The illumination lights bathed Hanamori's profile as she giggled with her eyes narrowed.

Burying her mouth in her scarf, her cheeks flushed slightly from the chilly air, Hanamori gazed at the sparkling scenery.

She looked way too cute. Damn it, it was frustrating.

Noticing my gaze, Hanamori turned to look at me.

“What is it?”

Her eyes stared back at me inquiringly, tilting her head slightly. Even that gesture was cute.

“Uh, ah, no, nothing.”

I hurriedly looked away.

“You were staring at me with a weird face. Your eyes looked like a frowny face; it was kind of creepy.”

“...H-Huh!? Calling me a creep again...”

“Because it's true.”

Her giggling smile was so cute again.

“...I'm probably just tired.”

“Is it because you couldn't sleep last night?”

Hanamori asked. Her eyes were smiling just a bit, shining as they caught the light.

“...Maybe.”

“Why... couldn't you sleep?”

Hanamori looked up at me with an upturned gaze, locking her eyes onto mine.

“...W-What? No, I mean, that's, well, um... you see...”

I ended up mumbling and stammering out my response.

Pressing so close together, feeling her warmth, hearing her breath—there was no way I could have slept.

“Fufu, what's with that reaction? You're weird.”

Hanamori's laughter melted into the winter air. Clear, soft, and sweet.

“It's cold, isn't it?”

Saying so, Hanamori rewrapped her scarf. Exposed to the cold air, the tip of her nose had turned bright red. That, too, was cute.

We walked side by side. Slowly beneath the illumination lights, wrapped in the happy atmosphere of the surrounding couples.

Every now and then, when Hanamori spotted pretty light displays, she would let out a quiet “Wow.” Each time, she would stop, stare intently, and snap a picture with her phone.

Her profile. Her gestures. Her voice.

Every single bit of it was helplessly cute.

It was really frustrating, but I couldn't help thinking that way.

My heart felt ticklish, aching with a sweet, throbbing pain.

—I tried to tell myself that feeling this way was just because of the winter cold and the illuminations.


***


We boarded the Shinkansen.

The business meeting had concluded successfully, and we could finally catch our breath. As soon as I sank into my seat, the exhaustion of the past two days washed over me all at once.

“That was exhausting.”

“Yeah, but I'm glad we got seats.”

I opened a bag of snacks I had bought at the station and held it out toward Hanamori. She reached in without hesitation.

“Delicious.”

“Right?”

This casual conversation felt unusually refreshing. Until yesterday morning, I couldn't have imagined being able to talk to Hanamori normally like this again.

“Ah, right. I'll have your skirt dry-cleaned before giving it back to you. You really saved me.”

When I said that, Hanamori smirked mischievously.

“Don't mention it. Honestly, that was the hardest I've laughed all year.”

“Hey, it's way too early to decide the top spot of the year. It's only January.”

“That may be true, but it's currently holding provisional first place.”

Hanamori was laughing merrily. Watching her genuine smile brought a smile to my own face.

“By the way, definitely don't mention this at work.”

I emphasized. This was one thing I couldn't compromise on. My dignity as a working adult was on the line.

“Eh? I'm totally planning to use it as office gossip.”

“Hah!?”

“It's just too hilarious. A pantsuit split right down the middle, and... that color.”

“Stop! Don't make me remember!”

“Oh, right. I have to write for the company newsletter next month, so I'll write about you, Asami-san.”

“Definitely don't!”

I clutched my head. If that got printed in the company newsletter, I wouldn't be able to show my face at work anymore.

I would forever be passed down in company legend as ‘the woman with that color underwear.’

“Just kidding.”

Hanamori said nonchalantly with a straight face. I couldn't tell where the joke ended and reality began. I really could never read this girl's true intentions.

As we carried on like that, Hanamori began to doze off, her eyelids drooping heavily.

“Sleepy?”

“...A little.”

Hanamori answered while yawning and rubbing her eyes. Starting from the cockroach incident in the middle of the night, followed by a nerve-racking business meeting early in the morning, and a full afternoon of work. There was no way she wasn't exhausted.

Well, I was super sleepy myself since I hadn't been able to sleep last night because of this girl.

“Go ahead and sleep. I'll wake you when we arrive.”

“No thanks. You're heartless, Asami-san, so you'd probably leave without waking me.”

“Hey, what kind of person do you take me for?”

I couldn't help but burst out laughing.

“It's fine, I'll wake you up.”

“...Really?”

“Really.”

Hanamori narrowed her eyes slightly with a suspicious look, but eventually closed them.

“Then, just for a little bit.”

Saying so, Hanamori drifted off to sleep.

At first, Hanamori slept leaning back in her own seat with her head tilted downward, but as the Shinkansen swayed, she gradually leaned toward me.

And then—*clack.* Hanamori's head rested against my shoulder. My heart gave a heavy thump. What was this feeling?

The weight on my shoulder. Her warmth. The scent of shampoo drifting from her hair.

Every single sensation felt vivid beyond reason.

My heart throbbed so hard it almost hurt. Why was it doing this?

More than anything, I was incredibly happy to be able to talk to Hanamori normally again.

Laughing together, sharing snacks, making jokes. Even though she had given me the cold shoulder until yesterday and there had been such a distance between us, now we were this close.

Quiet breathing reached my ears. I stole a glance at Hanamori's face in her deep sleep.

It wasn't the calculated, cute expression she put on for male colleagues, nor was it the deadpan look she gave me; it was a defenseless, soft face.

Cute.

Precious.

I want to protect her.

It frustrates me, but she really is so cute.

—...I want to touch her.

I surprised myself by having that thought.

But if it was now. At this distance. Just for a little bit.

I slowly reached out my hand. My heartbeat sounded loud enough to echo in my ears. I could tell my hand was trembling.

Hanamori's hand was resting on her lap.

I gently laid my hand over the back of hers.

So warm.

Our fingertips touched.

I slid my fingers further, resting them against Hanamori's. Then, I slowly gripped them.

Slender fingers. A soft hand.

Our fingers intertwined. Mine slipped into the gaps between Hanamori's.

Just like lovers holding hands.

My heart wouldn't stop pounding.

I wanted to stay like this forever.

I wanted to keep holding Hanamori's hand.

I didn't want to let go of this warmth.

—And then, I finally realized.

—I had fallen in love with her.


With Hanamori Chisa.


When she was cold to me, it bothered me.

When we couldn't banter and joke around like normal, I felt lonely.

I wanted so badly to talk to her.

She never left my mind for even a second, twenty-four seven.

I wanted to see her smile.

Just being able to talk to her made me so happy and fulfilled.

And touching her made my heart race like this, filling me with happiness.


—Because I loved her. All of it was because I loved her.


But.

A sharp pang pierced my chest.

Hanamori had no interest in someone like me.

The one Hanamori liked was Tamura-san.

That kind, cheerful, handsome Tamura-san, who was well-liked by everyone.

Not me.

I looked at Hanamori's sleeping face. Her long eyelashes. Her slightly parted lips.

Hanamori's heart wasn't looking at me.

If Hanamori woke up right now, she might pull her hand away instantly and call me gross. No, she definitely would.

I knew that.

Even though I knew that.

Even so, right now, I didn't want to let go of this hand.

The illumination lights streaming past the window looked dazzlingly bright.

Hanamori was still sleeping peacefully.

Just a little longer until we arrived in Tokyo.

If only this time would never end.

Yet, I had to make it end quickly.

Before these feelings swelled out of control and burst.

Those conflicting emotions stabbed at my heart.

Praying that Hanamori wouldn't wake up, I simply held onto her hand.




ToC

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

close