NWQA9y4fvqTQ9rz5lZU0Ky7avuunQd0OpkNmfOuq
Bookmark
📣 IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THE ADS ON THIS WEB, YOU CAN JUST USE AD-BLOCK, NO NEED TO YAPPING ON DISCORD LIKE SOMEONE, SIMPLE. | JIKA KALIAN TIDAK NYAMAN DENGAN IKLAN YANG ADA DIDALAM WEB INI, KALIAN BISA MEMAKAI AD-BLOCK AJA, GAK USAH YAPPING DI DISCORD KAYAK SESEORANG, SIMPLE. ⚠️

[ENG] I've been reincarnated in another world, so I want to see the real deal—a "Kukkoro" moment! Volume 1 Epilogue

 

Epilogue


(Whew... what a day...)

​The party held at the royal castle had stretched late into the night, and in the end, all of us students were invited to stay over at the castle for the evening.

​I’d put in a lot of legwork for my 'Infinite Kukkoro Plan,' and the mental fatigue from my confrontation with Duke Markham should have left me exhausted. Yet, perhaps because of the massive progress I’d made on my project, my nerves were frayed, and I found myself wide awake.

I think I’ll head out to the balcony, do a little stargazing, and unwind before I turn in for the night.

​With that thought in mind, I made my way to the balcony, only to find an unexpected guest already there.

​I hesitated for a moment, debating whether to retreat, but eventually, I decided to speak up.

​"Good evening, Princess Cynthia. It’s getting quite late; you really ought to get some sleep."

​"Ah, Jeralt-san..."

​Princess Cynthia looked toward me, her eyes widening slightly before softening. "I couldn't quite settle down, so I’ve been out here watching the stars."

​As I looked at her, I felt a strange sense of dissonance. The usual prickliness and undisguised distaste were gone. Was she just in a good mood because of the view?

​"Do you mind if I join you?"

​"Not at all."

​"Then, if you’ll excuse me."

​I took a seat in the chair beside her. The sky was perfectly clear, and unlike my previous world, there was no light pollution to drown out the heavens. The stars shone with a brilliant, piercing clarity.

​I’d never really understood what people found so enjoyable about staring at the sky before, but I had to admit, this wasn't half bad. It was calming.

​"Jeralt-san... Would you mind listening to me for a moment?"

​We had been sitting in companionable silence when Princess Cynthia suddenly spoke up, her voice little more than a whisper. Since it would have been awkward to refuse, I simply nodded.

​"I don't mind. Please, tell me whatever is on your mind."

​"Thank you. Well..."

​Princess Cynthia began to speak, her words coming in slow, deliberate intervals. It didn't seem like she was about to drop anything heavy, but her gaze was incredibly serious.

​"I’m not cut out to be royalty. I’m too impulsive; everything I think shows right on my face. I study as hard as I can, but I’ve never been particularly clever or efficient. And... I’m childish. My brother and my father tell me that all the time, and I agree with them. I’m just not suited for this."

​She let out a self-deprecating laugh.

​I didn't try to deny it. What she said was factually true, and more importantly, I knew she wasn't looking for pity or empty words of comfort.

​"But recently, I’ve realized something. I can’t stay like this forever."

​In an instant, her self-mocking smile vanished. In its place was a gentle, serene expression. She looked out at the stars with a newfound peace. A soft breeze brushed against her beautiful profile, causing her shimmering golden hair to flutter.

​"The people... They all help one another to live happily. Maybe that’s only a small part of the country for now. But I felt that kindness firsthand. And that’s why I want to protect that happiness—to help it grow."

​"You are very kind, Princess Cynthia."

​"Ideals without the power to back them up are nothing but empty air. I’m still immature—little more than a fledgling chirping in the nest."

​She felt like a completely different person compared to when we first had our mock battle. She seemed... more mature, maybe? I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but the old Princess Cynthia would never have said something like this.

​"Until now, my brother, my father, and my mother have always been there to support me. But eventually, once you and I... Got... m-m-married... Jeralt-san, you’ll be elevated in rank to a Duke, won't you? When that happens, I can’t be the one being helped. I have to be the one doing the helping. An incompetent wife is nothing more than a burden."

Wait, did she see something specific in the lives of the commoners that changed her? More importantly, if the marriage is starting to feel real to her, shouldn't she be more upset about it?!

​This was starting to head in a very dangerous direction! I had to make a move now, or I was doomed!

​"Wait just a moment."

​"Yes? Is something wrong?"

​"There is one thing I must tell you."

​I stood up and walked toward the center of the balcony, looking up at the stars for a moment before spinning around to face her directly.

​"I am an evil man. Unfortunately, the future you’re imagining will never come to pass."

​I didn't mince words. I laid it out as clearly as possible. If Princess Cynthia was under the mistaken impression that I was some kind of "good person," I had to correct that immediately. Even if it took a heavy hand, I couldn't let my path to a 'Kukkoro' ending be blocked.

​"I am the cancer of this kingdom. If your brother or your father get in the way of House Drake, I won't hesitate to eliminate them. I am no saint."

​"...And what exactly are you trying to say?"

Good! She’s taking the bait!

​"If you’re going to kill me, now is the time. I’m unarmed, and I don't have any guards with me. You can kill me right here and now to protect your family."

​A long silence stretched between us after my declaration. Finally, it was Princess Cynthia who broke it.

​"Pfft... Hahaha! Jeralt-san, you really say the most amusing things."

​"Huh?"

​She stood up and walked over to me, standing by my side as she looked back up at the stars.

​"I’m going to become much, much stronger."

​"Excuse me...?"

​That was not the response I had anticipated. I stared at her in shock, and she turned away from the stars to look at me, letting out a refined, melodic giggle.

​"I’m going to work harder at my studies and my training. And then... as a knight, as a person, and as a woman... I’ll show you just how strong I can be."

​It was a vow. A declaration of her resolve to protect the people as a future Duchess.

This is wrong. Based on my calculations, she was supposed to be dead-set against this engagement!

​"I would never do something like kill you. We’re fiances, aren't we? That means we’re going to be family one day."

​"I... what?"

​My eyes nearly popped out of my head at her bombshell. But Princess Cynthia didn't seem to notice my distress. She stared at me with an unwavering, direct gaze.

​"I will become a woman worthy of being a Duchess—and more importantly, a woman worthy of being your wife. So..."

​Before I could process my confusion, she reached out and gently took my right hand in both of hers. Her hands should have been calloused from the sword, yet I couldn't help but notice how soft and feminine they felt.

​Princess Cynthia looked up at me and beamed.

​"Thank you so much for saving me back then. I look forward to our future together... My dear husband."

​Her cheeks were flushed to a deep crimson, and her eyes were moist. That expression, overflowing with tenderness, didn't suggest a fierce, dignified Princess Knight. It made her look like a beautiful, lovely Second Princess that everyone couldn't help but adore.


​If someone told me this was a fabricated expression, I’d probably lose all faith in women forever. That was how much destructive power it had. My brain, packed with decades of otaku knowledge, instantly identified what I was seeing.

​They called it... 'The expression of a maiden in love.'

Why?! Why is this happening?! A noble princess is NOT supposed to fall for a villain like me! Where did I go wrong?! Where did I screw up?!

Someone, please... Just kill the past version of me that messed this all up! Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!

◇◆◇


​"And? How was the Drake brat?"

​"Sir. To dismiss him as a mere student would be a dangerous mistake. He possesses overwhelming strength that far exceeds his years."

​"I see... I suspected as much."

​I kept my face hidden behind my mask as I delivered my report to my master. He took a drag from his cigarette and exhaled a long, heavy sigh.

​He had ordered me to investigate the strength of the boy who had cut down an Orc—a feat that would challenge even the instructors at the academy—and who was already being hailed as a prodigy by the Royalists. This was the reality I had found.

​I hated giving such a report to a man who despised the Drake family as much as he did, but I couldn't very well lie.

​"But for you, it should be no problem. Any eyesore that threatens us must be removed."

​"I understand. Leave it to me."

​"Very well. I’ll give you a suitable pawn to work with. Come in."

​My master called out toward the door. After a brief knock, someone entered the room. It was hard to see in the dim light, especially since the newcomer was wearing a deep hood, but their movements and build suggested it was a woman.

​The sword hanging at her waist bore a crest I had never seen before.

​(This woman... She looks like a knight, but I don't recognize her. Who is she...?)

​"Chris, reporting as ordered."

​"Good. For the time being, you are under this person’s command. Understood?"

​"...Fine. If that is your wish, I will follow orders for now."

​"Excellent."

​My master nodded, satisfied. The woman named Chris turned to me and flashed a defiant, predatory grin.

​"Nice to meet you. I’m not exactly thrilled about taking orders from someone like you, but I’ll play along for a bit."

​"Just make sure you don't trip over your own feet."

​"Who do you think you’re talking to? I don't fail."

​As Chris and I glared at each other, my master clapped his hands together, a dark smirk playing on his lips.

​"The two of you will work together and bring me results. I’m counting on you."

​""Yes, sir. For the Kingdom, and for Duke Markham.""

​I bowed my head and vanished from the room in an instant.

​I leaped onto the roof and looked up at the sky, where a massive moon hung brilliantly in the air. Bathed in the moonlight, I removed my mask.

​(Jeralt Drake... huh...)

​I looked down at my own body, clad in a tight-fitting combat suit designed solely for efficiency, and sighed. My heart was pounding in my chest as I imagined the moment I would finally come face-to-face with him.

​(I... I cannot afford to fail—)

​And so, the shadow of a threat targeting House Drake began to move, hidden deep within the darkness of the Kingdom—



0

Post a Comment

close