Chapter 1: The Hardcore "Kukkoro" Fan Lands in Another World
"Haa... haa..."
My lungs burned from the prolonged anaerobic exercise. Still, I didn't let my grip on the sword falter. Every swing had to be perfect. The wooden training sword, weighted for a child, whistled through the air as I cut through the resistance.
I let out a long breath and wiped the sweat from my brow.
Phew... I’m starting to move a lot better.
My name is Jeralt Drake. In my past life, I was an ordinary high school student, but now I’m a reincarnated soul in a new world. This place works differently than Earth, but I’ve managed to survive this far. Right now, I was practicing the sword—a basic requirement for nobility in this world.
"Jeralt. Are you finished with your practice?"
"Mother. I’ve finished my morning quota for now."
I turned around to see the woman who was my mother in this life—Olivia Drake. I’d never used the word 'Mother'—or rather, Okaasama—in my previous life, but thanks to the strict tutors my parents provided, the polite noble speech had become second nature.
Olivia gave me a gentle smile as she wiped the sweat from my face with a towel.
"Are you feeling alright?" I asked.
"Yes, I just thought a little exercise would be good for me. It’s such a lovely day, I decided to take a walk."
My mother was currently pregnant with a new life. It seemed she’d just happened to pass by during her stroll.
"Oh, Jeralt. You’re only five years old; you don't need to push yourself so hard with the sword. You only need to be ready by the time you enter the Academy."
In this world, people can use magic for physical enhancement, alchemy, and others, but "external" magic like throwing fireballs doesn't exist. Because of that, swordsmanship has evolved significantly. Every noble is required to enter the National Military Academy at fifteen to study both the blade and academics.
You don't need to be a master—just competent—so most kids start training in their early teens. It’s quite rare for someone my age to be swinging a sword.
"No, Mother. I want to work hard so I don't bring shame to the Drake name as the eldest son."
"Oh my...! Ian will be so happy to hear that...!"
Ian was my father’s name—the head of the Marquis Drake family, a prominent house in the Albar Kingdom. The Drakes were a legendary military lineage; my father wasn't just a Marquis, but also the Minister of Military Affairs. It made sense that they’d be happy to see their heir taking an interest in the sword.
However, as much as I felt bad for deceiving them, I wasn't training for the sake of the family. I had a singular, grand ambition I needed to fulfill. And for that, I needed to be stronger than anyone else.
That dream?
I want to see a real kukkoro! I have to see the real thing in this isekai setting!
Of course, I could just sit back and hope to witness a female knight lose a battle somewhere as a third party. This was a fantasy world; conflict was more common here than on Earth. But if I just waited, I’d have to rely on luck to be in the right place at the right time. I might go my whole life without seeing a single one.
That was unacceptable. I wouldn't be satisfied with just one.
So, I thought long and hard. What was the most efficient way to see a kukkoro moment whenever I wanted? I’d agonized over it, pondered it, suffered through the logic, and finally reached the ultimate conclusion.
I just have to be the one who defeats the female knights.
I would play the villain, defeat the noble heroines who came to stop me, and bask in their eternal defiance!
To make this 'Infinite Kukkoro Plan' a reality, I needed absolute strength—the kind of power that wouldn't falter no matter how strong the heroine was. Being born into the Drake family provided the perfect environment to obtain that power.
"Mother. I have a request."
"Oh? Anything, dear. If it’s within my power, just say the word."
"I want to get stronger. Could you find me a master to teach me the sword?"
This world had countless schools of swordsmanship. Each had its own strengths and weaknesses, and finding the right fit could change your entire life. As a five-year-old who’d only just learned to read, I had no way of knowing which school was best. Asking my parents—who were experts—was the fastest and most reliable path to my goal.
"A master... Well, usually we wouldn't hire one for a five-year-old, but you’ve already got the basics down. I’ll speak with Ian about it."
I hadn't expected her to decide on the spot, so this was the best possible outcome. I bowed to her with a smile.
"Thank you, Mother. I appreciate it."
"It’s no trouble. You rarely ask for anything, so I’ll certainly mention it. But don't get your hopes too high. The final decision rests with Ian."
"I understand. Just having you bring it up to Father makes me happy."
"Oh, Jeralt! You’re such a good boy!"
Mother pulled me into a tight hug.
I'm going to get stronger. For the sake of the kukkoro, I can endure any hardship.
My life in this world was going to be a paradise of defiant heroines. I might not exactly be a 'good boy' if I was planning to become a villain, but I resolved to at least cause my parents as little trouble as possible as I buried my face in her chest and gave a wry smile.
A few days after my request, Father summoned me to the training grounds with my wooden sword.
Here we go, I thought, grabbing my trusty practice blade and running to meet him.
When I arrived, Father was already there, dressed in light, mobile clothing rather than his usual formal attire.
"Forgive me for keeping you waiting, Father."
"Think nothing of it, Jeralt. More importantly... Do you know why I called you here?"
"To test my skills... perhaps?"
Father nodded, looking satisfied. It wasn't hard to guess, given his outfit and the timing.
"Olivia told me you wanted a master. Normally, I’d want to oversee your growth myself, but things are getting tense at the border, and I won't have much free time. So, show me what you can do."
"Understood. I will give it my all."
"Good. Don't think of this as training. Come at me with the intent to kill. Show me your true resolve."
Father wasn't looking for a victory. Expecting a five-year-old to beat the head of House Drake would be absurd. What I needed to show was my potential and my spirit. I had to prove I was worth hiring a master for.
"I’m coming!"
"Come."
I lunged, my wooden sword whistling through the air. But Father didn't even move an inch as he parried my strike.
"Ho. That was a sharper swing than I expected."
"...Not yet!"
I backed off and immediately went back on the offensive. I focused on the basics I’d practiced every day, but I tried not to be too predictable. All those hours of sweating over my swings were manifesting as a surprisingly fluid assault for a first-timer.
"Ha! Yah!"
"I see. You have a good sword. I can feel the effort you’ve put into your daily practice. However..."
In an instant, the atmosphere around him shifted. My instincts screamed at me in a way my five senses couldn't explain. I trusted that gut feeling and leaped backward just as Father’s sword slammed into the spot where my head had been a millisecond ago.
Th-That was close! If that had hit my skull, wooden sword or not, I’d be dead! He’s being way too ruthless for a five-year-old!
"Impressive...! You actually dodged that...!"
A five-year-old’s stamina is pathetic. My breathing was already getting ragged. If I just kept dodging or trying to block, I’d eventually run out of steam. I had no path to victory if I stayed on the defensive.
There was only one choice.
"Hyaaaaa!"
I charged. Father gave a satisfied, predatory grin.
"Marvelous. For my son to have such courage... I shall offer you my utmost praise—"
In that heartbeat, Father vanished.
Wait!? Oh crap! At this rate, I’m gonna be the one who gets kukkoro’d—!
The next thing I knew, the world went dark.
"Gah—!?"
When I woke up, I was lying in my own bed. I remembered the duel and realized I’d lost.
I couldn't even touch him...
I knew losing was a given, but it still stung. My 'Infinite Kukkoro Plan' felt miles away. I hadn't been this competitive or hot-blooded in my previous life, but when the future of the kukkoro was on the line, it was a different story.
"Jeralt, you’re awake."
"Ah, Father. I'm... okay?"
I looked toward the voice, but my confirmation turned into a question.
Father was standing there, but Mother was currently pinching his ear. She was smiling, but her eyes were cold, and a chill ran down my spine.
"Um... Mother? Why is Father in that state?"
"Hehe. Just wait a moment, Jeralt. Honestly, dear? Going that hard against a five-year-old? I heard you even used a technique!"
A technique? Ah, that moment where he vanished. That must have been a secret move from his school.
...He really was being ruthless!
"I-I just got excited seeing how much he’d grown..."
"That is no excuse. You’re usually so calm, but you lose your head the moment a fight starts. You need to be more careful."
Father and Mother had an arranged marriage between high-ranking nobles, but they clearly loved each other. Watching them bicker like this was heartening. I’d always imagined noble families as cold and distant, but this house was warm and full of life.
I couldn't help but smile.
"Mother, I’m not hurt, so it’s fine. It was a very meaningful duel for me."
"Jeralt... Alright. If you say so, I won't say anything more. But please, be careful about injuries."
"I’ll be careful next time... Sorry about that, Jeralt."
"It’s fine, Father. I don't mind."
We all shared a laugh. I really did love this family.
"Ah, right. Jeralt. I have news."
"What is it?"
"About the master you requested..."
My heart sank. Was it a no? Did he think I was too weak or immature? Was my plan going to be delayed?
"I’ve decided to allow it."
"Really!?"
"Yes."
Yes! I was finally getting a master! The plan was back on track!
"Ian, don't you think it’s a bit early?" Mother asked.
"Hahaha, I suppose. But I don't want to stifle his passion, and his studies are going well, aren't they?"
"Well... that’s true. His tutors say he’s exceptionally bright..."
The stuff you learn at five is child’s play. I’d been terrible at math, but right now it was just basic arithmetic. I’d always been good at language arts, and for some reason, this new brain—or maybe the body—was like a sponge. I actually enjoyed studying in this new life. I’d even been reading thick, difficult books in the library during my breaks.
"There you have it," Father said. "I’ll forbid actual combat training until he’s older, but Jeralt is ready for a master. I’ll hire a top-tier instructor for you. You should look forward to it."
"Yes! Thank you so much!"
I was finally getting a teacher. I wondered what kind of person they’d be. A grizzled veteran? A master swordsman with a stern face?
Whatever happened, I couldn't wait.
A few months after the duel, I was restlessly swinging my sword in the courtyard. Usually, the rhythm of the blade cleared my mind, but today I couldn't focus.
Today was the day my master was supposed to arrive. Strength was the foundation of the 'Infinite Kukkoro Plan'. My life was truly beginning today.
"I wonder... who it's... gonna be..."
My swings were sloppy because I was daydreaming.
"Jeralt, your master is arriving soon. Go and wash up."
"Really!? Mother!"
I practically shouted at her. She just laughed at my enthusiasm.
"I’ve never seen you like this. Come to the parlor once you’re clean."
"Yes, Mother!"
I put my sword away and scrubbed myself down in record time. I headed to the parlor to find Father already there, signing documents during a break in his busy schedule.
"Ah, Jeralt. They’ve arrived. Get ready."
"Yes, Father."
I sat down next to him, trying to imagine the master. My dream was a beautiful, mature swordswoman or a legendary female adventurer, but Father had mentioned it would likely be an old man. Well, as long as they were strong, I couldn't complain.
"Your Excellency. The guest has arrived."
"Send them in."
The door opened. We stood up to greet them, but only a single young girl walked in, flanked by guards.
I looked at Father, confused. Even he seemed slightly taken aback—his eyes widened for a fraction of a second, a rare break in his perfect noble poker face.
"It has been a long time, Ian Drake-sama. I am Margaret Cartwright, the third daughter from the House of Viscount Cartwright."
The girl bowed. She looked to be about ten years old.
She had fiery red hair that cascaded down her back in waves, large, striking eyes, and full, youthful lips. She was undeniably a beauty, but that wasn't what caught my attention. It was her sharp, upward-slanted eyes and the fact that she didn't flinch an inch while standing before my father.
This was exactly the kind of spirit I was looking for. To find such a gem so early... I was the luckiest guy alive.
"It has been a while, Lady Cartwright," Father said, his voice level. "But why are you here? I was told the Sword Saint would be sent."
"My apologies, Marquis Drake. Master Albert the Sword Saint originally agreed, but he suddenly went missing... My father sent me in his stead."
Father crossed his arms, looking displeased. I was shocked he’d tried to get the Sword Saint for me, but why send a ten-year-old girl as a replacement? Even for a noble daughter, she was too young to be an official apology envoy.
"I am not asking why he is absent," Father said coldly. "I am asking why your father sent you."
"I was told you were seeking a master for your son. My father sent me to fill that role."
"Are you suggesting you are superior to the Sword Saint?"
"Honestly? I could not hope to defeat him. However, I will give my all. My father, William, says that if I prove inadequate, he will forfeit thirty percent of our house’s assets. He asks that you give me one month to prove my worth."
"Hoh..."
Wait, this kid was going to be my master? I knew age didn't always equal strength in an isekai world, but she had some serious guts. Just how strong was she?
"I have no interest in your money," Father said. "But if you are that confident, very well. However, I will not compromise on my son’s education. If you teach him any bad habits, there will be consequences."
"Thank you, Marquis Drake."
"You’ve said your piece. Now show me the results, Red Rose of Cartwright."
And just like that, Margaret became my master.
I was thrilled. Not just because she was a cute girl, but because she was perfect for my long-term goals. Maybe the gods of the kukkoro were looking out for me after all.
I think I’ll add her to the 'To-Be-Kukkoro’d' list…
◇ ◇ ◇
As soon as our conversation ended, my master and I headed straight for the training grounds.
It wasn't the massive field the common soldiers used, but a private one reserved for the family.
“Allow me to introduce myself once more. I am Margaret Cartwright. From this day forward, I shall be your instructor in the way of the sword.”
Margaret pinched the hem of her military-style skirt with her fingertips and performed a polite curtsy. I waved my hands frantically, urging her to look up.
“I’m younger than you, and you’re the one taking me on as a student, so please, feel free to use a more casual tone with me.”
“But the Cartwright family is a vassal house under the Drakes... Using such familiar language with the heir of my liege lord would be...”
“Please. I insist. Make yourself at home,” I pleaded once more.
Margaret looked conflicted for a moment, her expression shifting as she weighed the request. After a few seconds of hesitation, she gave a timid nod.
“If you insist that much... fine. I’ll do it. I’m looking forward to working with you, Jeralt.”
“Yes! I’m in your hands, Master!”
“And what about you? Are you going to keep talking like that?”
“You’re my master now. It’s only natural for me to show proper respect.”
“...Heh. I see.”
Margaret looked at me with a soft, warm smile. I wasn’t entirely sure why, but I figured it wasn’t anything important, so I decided not to overthink it.
“Well then, let’s start with a bit of theory first. The style you’ll be learning is called the Akatsuki Style.”
“The Akatsuki Style...”
The name rang a bell. When I first found out I was getting a sword master, I’d been so excited that I read every book I could get my hands on. I remembered seeing the name of the Akatsuki Style among them.
“Yes. Among the countless schools of swordsmanship, it’s considered one of the absolute strongest. However, the number of people capable of using it is incredibly small, and it’s notoriously difficult to master.”
“And I’m allowed to learn something like that?”
Stronger was definitely better, but judging by Margaret’s tone, just standing at the starting line was a challenge in itself. If I didn't have the talent for it, I'd just be wasting my time.
“You are. You have the qualification.”
“Qualification? I don’t recall having any special credentials...”
“I’m not talking about your studies. To use the Akatsuki Style, one requires a massive amount of mana. And you happen to have exactly that.”
“...? How do you know that?”
“Did Marquis Drake ever hand you a small crystal? One small enough to fit easily in the palm of your hand?”
I searched my memories at her prompt. I recalled a moment a few months ago when my father had shown me a crystal, claiming it was a rare curiosity. Was that it?
“I remember. I’ve touched a crystal like that before.”
“That crystal is actually a device for measuring mana capacity. If children are told they’re being tested for magic, they often get over-excited or tense up, which leads to inaccurate readings. That’s why, before deciding on a combat style, they check the child’s mana without saying a word to ensure they’re matched with the most suitable school.”
I—I had no idea...
The books hadn’t mentioned anything like that. It seemed information control in this world was far more thorough than I’d imagined. More importantly, I actually had magic? I hadn’t noticed it at all.
“Apparently, your mana levels were off charts. That’s why Marquis Drake requested that the Cartwright family send me—someone who happened to be training under my master in our territory and can use the Akatsuki Style. The rest is as we discussed earlier.”
Well, maybe my burning desire to see a real Kukkoro moment had manifested as a mountain of mana. My faith in the aesthetic of the "Kuh... kill me!" trope was beyond the reach of mere logic, so nothing was truly impossible. Still, it was a shame the Sword Saint himself couldn't make it...
Then again, I’d much rather train with a beautiful girl than some old man. As long as she raised me right, I had no complaints. Once I had the basics down, I could handle the rest of my training myself.
“The Akatsuki Style is powerful. If used for the wrong reasons, it could hurt many people... So, you must swear an oath of pride to your sword. Do you understand?”
“Y-yes, Master.”
“Well, seeing is faster than explaining. Step back a bit.”
“Understood.”
I moved to a safe distance. Margaret brought over a log used for target practice. She closed her eyes and took her stance. In an instant, the aura of a frail young girl vanished, replaced by a presence so overwhelming it would have intimidated a grown man.
“Akatsuki Style, Iai Technique... Suigetsu-giri—Water Moon Slash.”
In a flash, the top half of the log was sent flying. My eyes barely managed to track the movement, but I had never seen a strike that fast in my life. Looking at the severed log, the cross-section was as smooth as the surface of a mirror, without a single jagged edge.
“Th-that was incredible...”
“See? This is the Akatsuki Style. I’m going to be training you very, very strictly.”
I was speechless. It seemed this cheerful, slightly headstrong girl was even more powerful than I’d anticipated.
“That was amazing, Master! To think you can use a technique like that...”
“Fufu, I did receive full mastery of the Akatsuki Style, you know? I’m still nowhere near Sword Saint Alberto, but I can perform every single technique.”
“If you don’t mind me asking... How old are you, Master? You look incredibly young.”
She didn't just look young; she looked like a child. I wondered if it was a racial trait or some kind of physical constitution that made her look younger than her actual age.
“I’m nine this year. So, I’m four years older than you.”
...She said it was difficult to master, yet she’d learned the whole thing by nine?
Still, if I started training now, maybe I could reach that level around the same age.
“Thank you for telling me.”
“It’s fine. It’s not like it’s a secret. Now then, let’s get started. The first thing we’ll do is the same as always: basic sword drills. At the same time, we need you to learn the 'Mana Shroud,' which is essential for the Akatsuki Style.”
“Mana Shroud? What’s that?”
I’d never heard of it. It was likely a unique technique of their school.
“The Mana Shroud is... how should I put it? It’s like a thin layer of armor made of mana that you wrap around your entire body. You have to spread it evenly across every inch of yourself, right down to the tips of your claws—err, nails.”
“There’s a technique like that? But what does it actually do?”
Does it make me glow with an aura? That would be pretty cool, very Demon Lord-esque. Just imagining a 'Kukkoro' scene between a Demon Lord and a female knight made me start to feel a bit... excited.
“By enveloping yourself in mana, you stop moving your body through your nerves and start moving it through the mana itself. Your reaction speed becomes incomparably faster, and by wearing the mana, your attack power, defense, and physical speed all skyrocket. Of course, your five senses are enhanced, and your brain becomes more active too.”
Wow... that sounds ridiculously broken.
But I suppose that’s why the Akatsuki Style requires so much mana. Margaret said the Shroud was essential; the techniques themselves were probably designed with the Shroud as a prerequisite. If the Shroud runs out, you can’t use the style. If you can’t use the Shroud at all, you can’t even begin to learn.
“Let’s start practicing the Shroud first. I bet you’re more motivated for that than basic drills, aren’t you?”
“How did you know?”
“Fufu, your eyes are literally sparkling. We can’t move forward until you learn it, so it works out perfectly.”
Seriously...? Was it that obvious?
But this was magic! I’d never felt mana inside me before, so the prospect of actually using it made my heart race.
“First, let’s start by feeling the mana inside you.”
“How do I find it?”
“Fufu, give me your hand.”
I obediently held out my right hand. Margaret gently took it in both of hers. Her hands were firm, with the calluses of a swordsman, yet they felt surprisingly soft and warm, like a young girl's should. To be honest, in my past life, I’d never even held a girl's hand, so my face started to feel hot.
“W-why is your face getting so red?”
Perhaps influenced by me, Margaret’s cheeks turned a faint shade of pink as well. It’s true what they say: seeing someone else embarrassed makes you feel calmer. My tension eased slightly, replaced by a sudden urge to be a bit mischievous.
Let's tease her a little.
“Forgive me. It’s just that I’ve never held hands with a girl my age before... Especially since master is so cute and beautiful, I couldn't help but get nervous.”
“C-cute...?! D-don’t give me those empty compliments! Besides, it’s not like I’ve ever held a boy's hand either...”
I couldn’t quite catch the last part, but Margaret turned her head away, her face as red as a ripe apple. I wasn't being insincere, though. I genuinely wanted to see her in a Kukkoro state one day.
However, Margaret might be headstrong, but she was my master. Until I obtained true strength, I needed to keep my behavior in check and focus on my training. The Kukkoro project would have to stay on hold for now.
“A-anyway, focus on the mana! Could you close your eyes for a moment?”
“Eh? Are you going to kiss me?”
“No! I’m telling you to concentrate because I’m going to flow some of my mana into you!”
“Oh, I see. Closing my eyes now.”
I realized just now that Margaret was actually quite fun to tease. She was the quintessential innocent, tsundere young lady, but because she was so earnest at heart, she reacted to every single one of my jokes. It felt comfortable, like talking to a friend from my previous life.
“Okay, I’m sending it in. It’s a slow flow, so make sure you feel where the mana is going.”
“Yes.”
I did as I was told and stayed quiet with my eyes closed, but I didn’t feel any change. D-don’t tell me... even if I have a massive amount of mana, am I so untalented that I can’t even sense it?! That would be a disaster!
“...Master? Um...”
“That’s strange... why...?”
Margaret’s confused voice reached my ears, and I opened my eyes. She was tilting her head slightly, her elegant eyebrows knitted in a worried frown.
“What’s wrong?”
“I’m trying to flow my mana into you, but it won't go in. It’s like it’s hitting some kind of wall...”
Maybe I had a blockage... No, the fact that there was a mana-storing organ in the first place meant my body was fundamentally different from my previous one. My knowledge of biology wouldn't help here.
“I’ll try one more time. This time, I’m going to use my full strength.”
“Understood. Please go ahead.”
“Right. Close your eyes again.”
I closed them once more. I wasn’t sure if closing them actually made a difference, but since she asked, I’d comply. There was no point in arguing about it.
“Here goes... Hah...!”
In that instant, the right hand Margaret was holding grew warm, and I felt something heavy and sluggish shift inside me. It felt a bit unsettling at first, but the heavy sensation only lasted for a moment before it began to flow smoothly.
(Is this mana...?)
It was a strange sensation—something of mine being drawn out while something warm flowed in. This had to be mana. It was a completely alien experience, something I could never have tasted in my previous life.
“How is it? Can you feel the flow?”
“Yes. I can feel Master’s warm mana coming in. I never realized it before, but mana has been circulating through my body this whole time.”
Driven by curiosity, I decided to see if I could move the mana myself. I hadn’t been taught how to do it yet, but once I recognized its existence, it felt as intuitive as moving a muscle.
I tried to accelerate the flow of mana on a whim.
“Hyah?!”
“Whoa, what happened?!”
Suddenly, Margaret let out a surprisingly sultry yelp for her age and fell back onto her rear. I instinctively opened my eyes, let go of her hand, and rushed to her side.
“'What happened?' my foot...! Don’t just suddenly blast your mana at me like that! You startled me...!”
Margaret glared at me, her face flushed. However, her eyes were slightly moist and unfocused, so she didn't look scary at all. Regardless, I was just glad she wasn't hurt.
“But the fact that you could move it means you’ve successfully sensed the mana inside you, right?”
“Yes, perfectly.”
Margaret stood up and brushed the dust off her skirt. She looked at me and nodded with satisfaction.
“I’m glad it worked. This is how a master helps their disciple sense mana for the first time. In your case, you had so much mana that my initial flow wasn't enough to get yours moving. Otherwise, I would never have fallen over like that...”
Margaret muttered the last part with a bit of a pout. It seemed my massive mana capacity was to blame. I felt bad about it, but then again, building up these kinds of embarrassing shared moments was a crucial step toward a perfect Kukkoro scene, so it was actually a good thing.
“So mana can be connected to other people. Oh, does that mean if one of us runs out, we can take some from the other?”
Margaret gave a wry smile and shook her head at my question. She then explained the reason.
“You can, but it’s pointless.”
“...? Why? If we flow it into the other person like we just did, wouldn't it work?”
“Yes. Just like you said, Jeralt, you can transfer the mana. But you can’t convert someone else's mana into your own magic.”
I understood. It was like a battery. You can transfer the energy, but if it doesn't fit the mold, it can't be used. Even batteries won't work if they're the wrong size.
“I get it. So one person would just be wasting their mana for nothing.”
“You’re a quick learner. Well, regardless, let’s start the Mana Shroud practice.”
“Yes, Master.”
“First, try to gather mana in your right hand. Don’t worry about making it thin yet, just focus on gathering it.”
“Understood.”
I tried to gather the mana in my right hand, but since it was my first time, it didn't go very well. I decided to change my approach.
Before, I was trying to squeeze the mana into my hand like wringing a towel. But if mana was like blood circulating through the body, blood doesn't flow backward because of the heart and the valves in the veins.
In Kukkoro terms, it’s like a doujinshi that suddenly jumps to a 'Kuh... kill me!' scene with no buildup. A true Kukkoro only shines when you follow the proper steps one by one. Mana was the same. Instead of just trying to force it to gather, I needed to work with the flow.
If I blocked the flow in my right hand and sped up the circulation in the rest of my body...
The mana naturally began to accumulate in my right hand.
“Master.”
“What is it? Was my explanation not clear enough? I can go over it again more slowly.”
“No, I did it.”
“...Eh?”
Margaret’s jaw dropped. She quickly regained her composure and hovered her hand over my right one.
“It—it really is gathered there...”
“It was harder than I thought. Moving mana is quite a chore.”
“N-no, no, no! Just gathering mana in your hand for the first time usually takes days just to get the hang of it! And you did it in... in seconds...”
“Is that so?”
Well, I suppose I had my logical Kukkoro thinking to thank for that. Since Kukkoro was a universal truth, mastering its principles allowed it to become my flesh and blood. Whether it was Earth or another world, the blessing of Kukkoro granted by the gods would always be there to help me. I couldn't help but smile at the thought.
I really needed to offer more prayers to the gods.
Once I got used to it, I’d probably be able to control the speed of the flow at will.
“T-to think you were such a genius... Even It took me a full day...”
“You’re the real genius, Master. Mastering a whole style at your age? And the Akatsuki Style at that. Truly, the name 'The Crimson Flower of Cartwright' isn't just for show.”
“—?! How do you know that name?!”
“My father told me earlier. He said 'The Crimson Flower of Cartwright' is a once-in-a-generation genius, incredibly beautiful, and despite being only nine, has no shortage of marriage proposals. You really are amazing, Master.”
When my father first mentioned it, I thought he was exaggerating, but after training with Margaret, I realized he hadn't been lying. I’d ended up with a truly incredible teacher.
“...orget it.”
“...? What was that?”
“Forget that name right now!”
“Eh? Why? It’s such a beautiful title, it suits you perfectly.”
“Uugh... it’s embarrassing! You try having a title like that! It’s mortifying! And now even my own disciple is calling me that...! If you ever use that name again, today’s training will consist of nothing but running laps! Do you hear me?!”
“Y-yes, ma’am...”
I made a mental note to never, ever mention that title in front of her again.
A few weeks after Margaret became my master, I was lying in bed late at night while everyone else was asleep, practicing my Mana Shroud.
I’d been practicing under Margaret’s supervision every day, but I still couldn't quite get it right. I could gather mana in specific spots now, but thinning it out was incredibly difficult and required extremely precise control.
Margaret had said it wouldn't be surprising if it took over a month, and some people took years, so I knew I just had to be patient.
“Sigh... I’ve used quite a bit of mana. Better call it a night...”
There are two ways to train mana: releasing it all at once to increase your peak output, or releasing it slowly over a long period to increase your total capacity and recovery rate. You have to balance both to become truly strong.
Feeling a sluggishness that was different from physical exhaustion, I drifted off to sleep.
The next morning, I woke up before sunrise and began my daily routine of running and sword swings. While doing those, I practiced my mana control—not releasing it, but moving it freely within my body. It was a bit of multitasking.
In my past life, I was the type who gave up on everything after three days, but now, training with the sword and magic was so much fun that even the grueling sessions didn't make me want to quit.
I knew that at the end of all this hard work, a beautiful Kukkoro moment was waiting for me.
“Hah... hah... Almost time for breakfast... Gotta wash off the sweat and head to the dining hall...”
I grabbed a change of clothes and a towel and headed for the baths. This mansion had large separate baths for men and women. There was a family bath as well, but my parents occasionally used it to... 'create' more family members, so I preferred using the larger one that the servants also used.
Having a big bath was nice, but since I’d come to another world, I’d been hoping for some of those 'lucky sukebe' moments you always see in stories. Unfortunately, nothing of the sort seemed likely to happen. I’d considered 'accidentally' peeking at Margaret while she was bathing a few times, but that wasn't a lucky sukebe; it was just being a peeping tom, and that felt wrong.
Ideally, I wanted to walk in on her and have her blush, her eyes welling with tears as she glared at me and spat out, “Kuh... to think someone like you would see me naked... Kill me!”
Not that I’m a masochist or anything. If anything, I’m more on the sadist side. Most Kukkoro fans tend to have sadistic leanings anyway. (Note: Theories vary.) We enjoy seeing the heroine get defeated, after all.
(Sigh... Seriously, why is this house so big? If we were lower-ranked nobles, maybe I would’ve had a lucky sukebe moment by now...)
I took a sip of cold water and started stripping off my clothes. The sticky feeling of sweat against my skin vanished, replaced by a cool sense of liberation. Maybe I would have enjoyed the gym in my previous life.
Then, the moment I opened the door to the bath area, a vision of paradise spread out before me.
(No way... Margaret...?!)
Margaret, draped in nothing but a towel, possessed a sweet, intoxicating charm that felt like it could blow open a door that should never be opened. The 'Absolute Territory'—the fleeting glimpse of skin where the towel nearly met her thighs—was a direct assault on the male soul.
(So God really was here... Between this life and my previous one, that’s twenty-two years... This is the pinnacle of human achievement!)
For a split second, even Kukkoro slipped my mind as I wondered if the path of the lolicon was actually the true path for humanity.
But no, I was a man who had dedicated his faith to the art of the 'Kuh... kill me!' trope. I was a hardcore Kukkoro enthusiast. I immediately brushed aside the stray thoughts and reminded myself of the path I was meant to walk.
(That was close... I’ve dedicated my life to Kukkoro. I can’t let myself stray toward... wait?)
That was when I realized the situation I was in. More importantly, we were making eye contact so clearly that there was absolutely no way to talk my way out of this.
“—! Don’t you... don’t you dare just stand there staring!”
A strike reinforced by the Mana Shroud came flying toward me.
But my eyes caught it. I saw her towel starting to slip due to her violent movement.
(If I take this hit, I’m definitely going to get knocked out... But I want to reach the state of true enlightenment!)
If I could just dodge this one blow... just this one... I might reach the sacred paradise of Kukkoro.
With that thought, I focused with a level of intensity I’d never achieved since coming to this world. Ripping the towel off her myself would be an aesthetic failure. Therefore, I had to withstand this strike and let nature take its course.
In that instant, I felt the mana that I’d struggled to control finally spread out in a thin layer across my entire body. My senses sharpened, and my body felt impossibly light. I didn't have time to be surprised. My master’s fist was already closing in.
(Move... move, damn it!)
My prayers were answered, and I barely managed to dodge the fist. It grazed my cheek, drawing blood, but I didn't care. I turned all my attention to the event about to unfold.
In slow motion, the towel began to slip from Margaret’s body.
But then, something unexpected happened.
“Ky-ah?!”
“Watch out?!”
This was a wet bathhouse floor. Margaret had lost her balance after swinging and missing. Instinctively, I lunged forward and caught her, planting my feet firmly. We both managed to stay upright.
“Whew... that was a close one.”
There were no typical manga accidents like accidentally grabbing her chest or anything. It was a shame I hadn't reached the sacred paradise, but I was just glad Margaret wasn't hurt.
“Are you okay, Master?”
“Ah... uuh...”
“Master?”
Wait, is this it?! Is this the moment?! Did my wish for 'shame-induced Kukkoro' finally reach the gods?!
“Uugh... you saw... you touched...!”
“Master, are you all right?”
Come on! Show me that expression! Let me see it! The Kukkoro!
“I might as well just die...?! Noooooooo!!!!”
I was eagerly waiting for her next words when my consciousness suddenly went black.
When I woke up, I was lying in my own bed.
As I tried to sit up, a sharp pain shot through my jaw. Then I remembered—I’d taken a direct punch to the chin.
“You’re awake. Does your jaw still hurt?”
While rubbing my aching jaw, I noticed Margaret sitting in a chair next to the bed. But something seemed off about her.
“...? Master? Why are you here?”
“I just came to check on you. It was... immature of me to use the Mana Shroud to attack a five-year-old.”
Margaret sounded uncharacteristically dejected. It was true that a master attacking her student with full force was a bit much. However...
“No, it was my fault. I didn't realize you were in there.”
“But...”
“You’re a noble lady, Master. It’s only natural for you to get flustered if a man almost sees you naked. Though the Shroud might have been a bit overkill.”
“Uugh... I know that.”
Margaret sat in the chair by my bed and began to stroke my hair. Her hand was warm, in a different way from my mother’s, and it felt incredibly soothing.
“I’m the one who told you to swear an oath of pride to your sword so you wouldn't hurt people needlessly... And then I did this... I’m a failure... as a master...”
Tears began to roll down Margaret’s cheeks. I felt bad that she was beating herself up so much over punching a little pervert like me.
“Master, you used your fist, not your sword. So you haven't stained your pride or your oath at all.”
“...What are you trying to say?”
“I want to keep our relationship the way it is. I’d hate it if you stopped being my master. So... How about we just call it even and put this behind us?”
Objectively speaking, I was probably the one in the wrong. But if I didn't say something, Margaret would keep blaming herself. I still had so much I wanted to learn from her.
Besides, if I’d actually touched her chest or seen her naked, I might have had to take responsibility and marry into her family, but we were technically safe this time. As long as we both agreed, there was no need to make a scene out of it.
“Fufu... What kind of logic is that?”
“Is that a no?”
“No. It’s a yes...”
Margaret gave me a brilliant, beautiful smile. My heart skipped a beat, quite unintentionally. But what I wanted to see was Kukkoro. The flutter in my chest vanished as quickly as it had come.
“In that case, I’ll be in your care from now on too, Master.”
“Yes. Same here, Jeralt.”
We locked eyes and both broke into a spontaneous laugh.
By the way, it turned out Margaret had been in the men's bath because the magic tool for the women's bath was acting up. I’d simply missed the 'Cleaning in Progress' sign she’d put up to make sure no men came in. It was 100% my fault.
I’ll be more careful next time... probably?
The very next day.
I was at the training grounds with Margaret as usual. But today, I was a different man. After all—
“Can you really use the Mana Shroud now?”
“Yes! I managed to do it again this morning, so there’s no mistake!”
That sensation I’d felt when I dodged her attack to get a better view of her 'Absolute Territory' had indeed been the Mana Shroud. I’d tried it several times since, and each time, my body felt incredibly light and my mind felt sharp.
“Sigh... It’s only been a week, you know? How on earth did you master it so fast?”
“W-well, you see...”
I could hardly say, 'I was so desperate to see you naked and in a Kukkoro state that I used it without thinking.' That would be the worst kind of sexual harassment!
“U-um... I saw a glimpse of paradise, and in my desperate struggle to reach that state of enlightenment, I just... figured it out, I guess?”
“...Is that something I should be worried about? Are you on some kind of dangerous drug?”
“N-no, of course not! It’s my own power!”
Margaret gave me a very skeptical look, but I wasn't lying. I was just... being a bit vague with my wording.
“Well then, show me.”
“Yes, ma'am.”
For humans, the first time is always the hardest. Once you've done it once, even if you haven't mastered it, you have a feel for the sensation. All that’s left is to refine it through repetition. My body already remembered the feeling of thinning out the mana. I spread it as thin as my current control allowed.
“How’s this?”
“...Incredible. It’s still a bit rough, but you’re definitely using the Mana Shroud...”
It seemed I’d passed the threshold. I instinctively pumped my fist. It was still rough, but I could now move on to the training phase rather than the learning phase. Mastery was fun, but there was nothing like the feeling of seeing your own growth.
“Sigh... Youare really a genius. It makes me feel pathetic for being called a genius back in the day...”
“Eh? You’re definitely a genius, Master! I am only where I am today because I’m learning from you.”
That was also true. If some old guy like Sword Saint Alberto had come and I’d walked in on him in the bath, I could swear to the gods that I never would have learned to use the Mana Shroud. It was only because my opponent was Margaret that I’d been able to push myself. (Though I have no interest in old men.)
“...I see. Thank you for saying that.”
“I’m not just being polite, Master. I truly believe I can only use the Shroud because you’re my master.”
“Fufu, you’re quite the smooth talker, Jeralt. I wonder how many girls will cry just because of you when you grow up??”
I couldn't exactly say I planned on making plenty of them cry for the sake of seeing their Kukkoro faces. I just laughed to hide my true thoughts.
“Now, why don’t we try a mock battle while using the Mana Shroud?”
“Eh? Already?”
“Yes. If you don’t get used to it, I can’t teach you any techniques. The fastest way to learn is to use it in combat.”
“I see... Understood. Please guide me.”
I bowed and stepped back with my wooden training sword. Margaret took up her stance with her own wooden sword. Come to think of it, I’d seen her techniques, but I’d never actually sparred with her before. I didn't think I could win, but I wasn't going to go down without a fight.
“The rules are simple. You must keep your Mana Shroud active for the entire match. I, however, am forbidden from using either the Shroud or any specific techniques.”
“I see. So it’s a handicap match.”
“Don’t be offended. No one can use the Shroud perfectly from the start. To keep the fight going long enough for you to get used to it, I have to give you a handicap. Normally, the master wouldn't even use a sword, so the fact that I’m holding one means I think highly of you.”
I hadn't realized just how difficult the Shroud was to maintain until I tried it. It was hard enough just to activate, let alone use it while moving. It was like a wild horse. But the thought of the overwhelming power that lay beyond its mastery made it all worthwhile.
“I’m honored.”
“Now, come at me!”
“Yes... here I come!”
Enveloped in my Mana Shroud, I kicked off the ground to close the distance... but.
I put in way more strength than I intended and went flying right past Margaret.
I see. This is hard to handle. The boost from the Shroud was so massive that I couldn't control it yet. And Margaret said this was still 'rough,' which meant it would get even more powerful.
(Man... this is going to be so much fun to master!)
This time, I suppressed my strength as I swung. But I suppressed it too much, and my attack was sluggish. For Margaret, it was a glaring opening.
“Too slow!”
“Guh...?!”
I managed to parry her counter and put some distance between us, but that was a close call. Margaret said she wanted to fight long enough for me to get used to it, but a fight without tension would teach me nothing. You only truly grow when you’re pushed to the brink.
“Next one!”
“Come as many times as you like!”
After moving a couple of times with the Shroud, I started to get the hang of it. This time, I closed the distance at full speed and delivered a heavy blow. With my vision enhanced by the Shroud, I successfully closed in on her.
However, she simply flowed with the attack and parried it again. Then, as if to corner me, her kick landed right in my stomach.
“Ugh...!”
I instinctively rolled to break my fall and scrambled back to my feet, sword at the ready.
“Your attacks are too one-dimensional. Strength without flexibility won't work in a real fight. If even I can block it, a true warrior would make a meal out of you.”
Margaret’s assessment was perfectly accurate. I had zero real combat experience, my feints were non-existent, and I fell for hers immediately. I was nothing more than a weakling.
“You’re absolutely right... I have no excuse.”
“Understanding yourself objectively is important. The fact that you realize your own weakness means you have the potential to be strong.”
“I’m glad to hear it...”
I wanted to absorb everything I could from her. I wanted to become stronger.
I kicked off the ground again. I used the exact same trajectory as my first attack.
But—
“—?! You stopped?!”
Just as it looked like another one-dimensional charge, I forced my feet to a halt, shifting my center of gravity backward. Margaret hadn't expected me to be able to feint while using the Shroud. Taking advantage of her split-second hesitation, I shifted my weight again and swung my sword.
“What?!”
“Goaaaaaaaah!!!”
A dull clack rang out. The tip of my wooden sword snapped and went flying. My strike had been stopped just before it could reach Margaret.
“...I can’t believe you actually made me use my Mana Shroud.”
“Ehehe... I worked hard.”
Margaret had only managed to block in time because she’d instinctively activated her own Shroud. Since I’d been getting pummeled without her even using it, this was a massive step forward. Besides, the rules said she wouldn't use it, so technically, I won.
Well, it was only because I caught her off guard. In reality, she was still leagues ahead of me.
“You really never cease to amaze me.”
“I’m just doing my best to struggle my way up.”
“Fufu. I’m still young and inexperienced myself, but I can promise you this much.”
Margaret grabbed my sleeve and pulled me close. For a second, I thought she was going to kiss me, and my heart hammered against my ribs, but she just whispered softly in my ear.
“You’re going to surpass me easily. And one day, you’ll be stronger than anyone else—”
About a month had passed since Margaret became my master.
The curriculum of the Akatsuki Style had moved on to the next stage. Yes, I had finally begun learning actual combat techniques.
“The foundation of the Akatsuki Style is to envelop your blade in mana and imbue it with magical properties. Just like with the Mana Shroud, you must visualize the sword as an extension of your own body until the two are one. Focus!”
“Y-yes, Master!”
Easier said than done. This was incredibly difficult.
Unlike my own limbs, the sword was an external object. Channeling mana into it felt entirely different from maintaining the Shroud. However, if I couldn't at least coat the blade in neutral mana, it would be impossible to fight while imbuing it with specific elements. I was starting to realize exactly why Margaret had warned me about the difficulty of this school.
“This is even harder than the Shroud,” she noted. “But as long as you practice your elemental conversion, you should be able to handle it eventually.”
“I’m actually getting the hang of elemental conversion. I can manage Fire and Wind pretty well now. I’m still working on Water and Lightning.”
After all, elements like shame and humiliation are vital components of the Kukkoro experience, and there are a thousand ways to deliver them. Armor-breaking is a classic, but soaking a heroine's clothes until they’re see-through is also a top-tier choice. Magic—a supernatural power that defies common physical laws—is the perfect tool for delivering clear-cut despair and humiliation.
I wanted to master these as soon as possible to add more variety to my future Kukkoro viewings, but life rarely goes exactly according to plan.
“You really are a fast learner... At this rate, I think you’ll be able to perform a basic technique within a week.”
“I can’t wait.”
I tried to visualize the mana circuits extending from my arms into the steel, treating the blade as part of my nervous system. A faint glow of mana flickered along the edge, but compared to the demonstration Margaret had shown me, it looked pitifully weak.
“...This seems to be my limit for now.”
“I think you’ve gathered quite a bit, actually. It might be weak, but you should be able to trigger a technique at this level.”
“Really?!”
Apparently, even this tiny amount of mana was enough to activate a skill. It’s human nature to want to test out a new toy immediately. I turned a pair of wide, expectant eyes toward Margaret.
“Ugh... stop looking at me with those sparkling eyes...”
“Please, Master! I promise I’ll keep practicing the basic mana coating too!”
“Sigh... If I don't teach you, you’ll probably just try it behind my back anyway. I suppose I’m responsible for getting your hopes up, so I’ll teach you one move. However! You must continue your drills during our sessions, and you are strictly forbidden from practicing techniques without me. Do we have a deal?”
“...! Yes! I promise!”
“...Fine. I’ll show you, then.”
Yes! I was finally going to use a real skill! I was so excited I could barely stand still.
“You remember the move I showed you before, right?”
“Um, that was Suigetsu-giri—the Water Moon Slash, right?”
“Exactly. That’s a high-level technique, so I’m going to teach you an entry-level version of that same lineage.”
The move I’d seen Margaret perform was breathtaking. Even if it was just a lower-tier version, the thought of being able to do something similar made my heart race.
“It’s called the Suijin-giri—the Water Blade Slash. Well, I’m using Water as an example, but you should use whichever element you’re best at.”
When performing Akatsuki Style techniques, the effect changes entirely based on the element imbued. Fire burns, Water increases the cutting edge, Wind adds phantom blades to shred the target, and Lightning numbs and chars. Mastering these allows for a versatile and overwhelming offensive.
“I think I’ll try it with Wind.”
“Then it’ll be the Fuujin-giri—the Wind Blade Slash. Watch closely.”
Margaret brought out a practice log and took her stance. In an instant, the training grounds fell silent, as if time itself had frozen.
“Akatsuki Style, Iai Technique: Fuujin-giri.”
The moment she drew, invisible blades of pressurized air tore through the log, carving three clean lines and splitting it into four pieces. Humans can’t normally fire magic directly from their bodies, but for some reason, magic tools can. In a way, the Akatsuki Style treats the sword as an improvised magic tool, allowing the user to imbue and combine spells with swordsmanship. For an opponent, facing someone who can change their magical attributes at will in close quarters would be a nightmare.
“Incredible, Master!”
“You probably won't be able to cut the log yet, but the magic should still trigger. First, flow your wind-aligned mana into the blade, and visualize a strong gust as you swing.”
“Understood! Here goes!”
I took my stance and concentrated. I blocked out everything else, focusing solely on the image of a rising gale as I channeled mana into the wood. And then—
“Wind Blade Slash!”
“Ky-ah?!”
A gust of wind erupted from my sword. It didn't form a blade; it was just a raw, powerful blast of air.
And, as fate would have it, Margaret was wearing her military-style skirt. The skirt was long enough that it usually didn't reveal anything during training, but against a direct upward draft...
It was white.
“......”
“......”
“...D-did you see?”
“I-I didn't see anything! I was focused on the sword! The log was the only thing in my sight!”
“I didn't ask what you saw, did I?”
“Ugh... th-that’s...”
Margaret held her skirt down, her face flushed a deep crimson. I couldn't exactly say, 'Thank you for the meal! That expression is exactly what I live for!' so I tried to play dumb, but I was backed into a corner.
Just as it seemed all was lost...
“You two! Why don’t you take a break? The cookies are done!”
A voice like a goddess of salvation rang out. It was my mother. I recognized my only exit and took it instantly.
“S-Master! Let’s go! Mother is calling us!”
“...Sigh... Fine. We’ll finish this interrogation later.”
I hadn't escaped after all?! I slumped my shoulders and followed behind Margaret.
My mother was sitting in a chair, waving at us with a bright smile. When I saw who she was holding, I dashed over.
“Mother! Alice is here too!”
“Fufu, yes. she was in such a good mood that I brought her along.”
Alice was my newborn younger sister. As someone who had been an only child in my previous life, I found my new sister to be unbearably cute. The training grounds were roofed and the temperature was mild, so it wasn't too harsh for a baby, though I expected she’d be taken back to her crib soon.
“Good afternoon, Lady Olivia. I see Alice is with you as well.”
“Indeed, Margaret. Look, Alice, it’s your big sister Margaret.”
Normally, the third daughter of a Viscount wouldn't be allowed to be so casual with a Marchioness, but because Margaret was my master, she was permitted a certain level of familiarity.
“Please, sit down, both of you. I’m quite proud of today’s batch and I wanted you to try them.”
“Whoa! They look delicious!”
“Are you sure I should have some as well?”
“Of course. I’d love to hear your thoughts.”
My mother’s hobby was baking. In a world where it was unthinkable for a noble to step into a kitchen, she was probably the only one with such a pastime. It was a huge perk for me, though. Today’s treat appeared to be cookies.
““Thanks for the food.””
A perfect level of sweetness spread through my mouth. The tea she’d selected paired wonderfully with the cookies.
“These are amazing, Mother!”
“They really are... Maybe I should take up cooking too.”
“Oh! We should bake together sometime! I know! If you become Jeralt’s bride, we can be baking buddies! You should definitely consider it!”
Both Margaret and I nearly sprayed our tea. I wanted to ask if she realized what she was saying, but my mother just kept her usual serene smile, making it impossible to read her true intentions.
In my previous life, the idea of a 'bride' or 'fiancée' at this age would be crazy. Besides, I wanted to stay single so I could pursue the Kukkoro aesthetic freely...
“U-um...”
“Mother, you’re being a bit mean. If the Marchioness herself says that to her, she can’t exactly say no.”
“Fufu, true. But it’s a fact that I want you to think about it. Right, Margaret?”
“Y-yes...”
The atmosphere became strangely tense for a moment, but the rest of the tea time passed peacefully. Before we knew it, the cookies were all gone.
“Thank you, Mother. That was wonderful.”
“Thank you very much.”
“You’re very welcome. Now, Jeralt, work hard at your training. And Margaret, please keep looking after this boy.”
““We will!””
And so, we returned to our training.
Five years of those peaceful days passed by in the blink of an eye.
“It’s been... five years already...”
“Time flies. It feels like only yesterday that you first arrived, Master.”
Five years since Margaret’s arrival, and the time for our farewell had finally come. In those five years, I had successfully mastered every single technique of the Akatsuki Style, earning my full certification. By now, I was strong enough to wipe out common monsters without breaking a sweat—though I still couldn't quite beat Margaret.
The entire Drake family had come outside to see her off. Standing before the carriage was a young girl with the same lustrous red hair she’d had as a child, now bowing her head.
“I... I cannot thank you enough for your hospitality all these years.”
“No, the thanks are ours. Thank you for teaching Jeralt. He has grown into a fine young man. Please, allow me to apologize for my initial rudeness and offer my deepest gratitude.”
“Not at all. Jeralt was so naturally talented that he grew on his own. It wasn't my doing.”
“I don’t believe that. I believe he grew so much precisely because it was you, Margaret.”
My father and Margaret exchanged their final farewells. My mother was even shedding tears; she had truly come to love Margaret like a daughter. My sister Alice, now old enough to speak, clung to Margaret, calling her 'Megu-nee.'
“Megu-nee... are you going bye-bye?”
“Yes. But I’m sure we’ll meet again. One day, I’ll be serving your house, after all.”
As long as the political factions remained stable, that was the likely outcome. There would be plenty of chances to meet.
Once the rest of the family had said their peace, it was finally my turn.
“Master. Thank you for everything.”
“Honestly... I never imagined you’d master every technique in such a short time. It took me much longer.”
“It’s all thanks to your teaching.”
“Fufu, I told you this years ago, but you’ll probably surpass me completely in another couple of years. Not that I plan on making it easy for you.”
Margaret smiled. At fourteen, she still had a hint of youth in her face, but she had blossomed into a stunning beauty. Her figure, though still developing, was quite impressive for her age. I expected the number of marriage proposals she received to skyrocket.
“I look forward to seeing what kind of swordsman you become.”
“Yes. We’ll definitely meet again.”
“It’s a promise. Take care of yourself, Jeralt.”
With that, Margaret stepped into the carriage. As it began to roll away, I waved until my arm was tired.
“Take care, Master!”
She leaned out the window and gave me a gentle wave back.
“Sigh... and now they’re out of sight...”
I whispered to myself in the lonely carriage. I could no longer see my beloved disciple, who had been waving to me until the very last second. Suddenly, a hollow ache of loneliness settled in my chest.
“Ahaha... I’m so weak...”
A single tear traced a path down my cheek. I knew we’d meet again. Even so, the parting hurt. I hadn't even cried when I left the Cartwright house to live as a tutor for the Drakes. That house had been so warm; they had treated me like real family.
“...But I don’t have time to sit around crying.”
I wiped my eyes and looked ahead. Jeralt had worked so hard these past few years. Seeing him grow had given me irreplaceable memories and the true joy of being a teacher. He was a disciple I truly didn't deserve.
That was why I wanted to remain a strong, cool master that he could be proud of.
“I have to work hard so I don't lose to him.”
The entrance exam for the National Military Academy was coming up soon. In five years, Jeralt would be enrolling there too. By then, I’d already graduated, but I couldn't let him hear any embarrassing stories about me. I had to work hard so that he’d hear rumors of an amazing, cool upperclassman.
(I’ll keep growing as your master and your senior. It’s only for a few years... so... we’ll meet again, right?)
I thought of the face of the boy who was like a younger brother to me, and a smile touched my lips. The tears in my eyes were a sign of my current weakness, but that was exactly why I would become even stronger.
See you soon, Jeralt—




Post a Comment