Chapter 4: The "Kukkoro" Hardcore Fan Meets Great Predecessors
It had been about a week since my duel with Princess Cynthia.
Even now, I found myself basking in the afterglow of that bitter, agonizing expression she’d made.
Ah... this fantasy world is the best. She hasn’t said the words yet, but I’ve definitely reached the point where the foundation is laid!
Even if the "slow burn" took a long time, the thought of a massive "Kukkoro" waiting at the end made every second of the wait feel like pure bliss.
Well, I suppose it’s about time I escalated things from being "the most hated man" to the "Kukkoro" catalyst... but man, why does it have to be like this?
I slowly raised my head and looked at the building standing before me. I was currently in a place that looked like little more than a dilapidated pile of rubble. Tiles and debris were scattered across the ground; it was blatantly obvious that this wasn't a place people frequented.
"Now that we’re actually here, it really is just a bunch of ruins," Lawrence remarked from beside me.
"You aren't supposed to say that out loud. It's 'historical value'—even if the reality is a dump," I replied, unable to stop myself from deadpanning.
We were currently at the Reigeluk Ruins as part of a history class field trip. Apparently, a major city once stood here before a natural disaster wiped it out. Now, it was exactly as Lawrence described: a ruin. I wondered if there was actually any point to being here, but I suppose it was just the fantasy version of an off-campus learning excursion. The school probably just treated it as a fun event.
I wanted to focus on Princess Cynthia’s "Kukkoro" development... Why did this have to happen now?
We had been told to form groups of several students, and I had ended up with Lawrence and Prince Victor. To be fair, this wasn't some deep political move by the Royalist faction. Lawrence and I had simply been talking about grouping up when Victor invited himself in, and it would have been weirder to say no.
What kind of cruel joke was it that I had to spend my field trip with two other guys?
Princess Cynthia is... over there, huh?
I glanced around, and my eyes immediately landed on that strikingly beautiful blonde hair. She was in a group with Mia—the girl who had harassed me the other day—and some other female student I didn't recognize. I wondered if it was really okay for her to be grouped with royalty from another nation, but even Mia wouldn't be stupid enough to make an enemy of the entire Albar Kingdom right now. From her position, she’d want to avoid suspicion. A major incident would only lead to a net loss for everyone involved. There was also a student who looked like a bodyguard in their group, so she was likely fine.
Though, truthfully, Princess Cynthia was probably stronger than her own guard.
"Well, let’s not just stand around. We should get moving," Lawrence said, sounding a bit exasperated at my staring.
"What’s wrong, Jeralt? Were you mesmerized by my sister?" Victor teased.
I felt a prickle of irritation at his comment but suppressed it, pulling my gaze away from the Princess.
"Hardly. I can acknowledge that Princess Cynthia is a beauty, but that’s a separate matter entirely."
"Is that so? It would have been much more entertaining if you were smitten," Victor chuckled.
Does this guy think about anything other than teasing people? Has he already forgotten how his sister glared at him?
"Sigh... Let’s just go."
I cut the conversation short and stepped into the ruins, unaware that Lawrence and Victor were sharing a secret smirk behind my back.
"So, Jeralt. Do you have a specific goal in mind?"
"Not really. I figured we’d just wander around aimlessly."
"Haha, you really haven't changed."
"Then we'll go wherever Lawrence wants to go," I offered.
"I don't have anywhere in mind either, so I’ll leave it to you."
You’re one to talk.
In any case, the scenery didn't change much no matter where we went. There was no point in complaining.
"I have no particular preference either. Let's just keep moving," Victor added.
We walked through the Reigeluk Ruins, exchanging idle chatter. I had thought a group of three guys would be boring, but it was actually quite fun. We were all high-ranking nobles (and a prince), but none of us were the type to pull rank. The vibe was essentially that of high school boys hanging out.
"Jeralt, do you have any interest in finding a fiancée?" Victor asked.
"I don't have the temperament to take a wife. Besides, it’s not like I’m at an age where I need to rush, right?"
I needed to target various women to achieve my "Kukkoro" dreams. Engagement—and heaven forbid, marriage—would severely limit my freedom of movement. They say marriage is the graveyard of life for a reason. I understood that I’d eventually have to marry for the sake of my house, but for now, I was young. There was no need to force it.
"I suppose you're right. To be honest, talking with you two or studying is several times more meaningful and fun than talking to the ladies who try to flatter me," Victor said.
"Heh, you actually value us that much?"
"Be honored, won't you?"
"My opinion of you just dropped a notch."
Victor laughed heartily at my response. He really didn't seem like the First Prince and heir to the throne. His abilities were the real deal, but his personality was incredibly light.
"Hm? What is it, Jeralt? You look like you want to say something. If you have a thought, out with it."
"No, I just thought you were surprisingly frank for a prince. Right, Lawrence?"
"Why are you asking me such a difficult question... but yeah, I think Prince Victor is very easy to approach," Lawrence replied with a wry smile.
Critiquing the personality of someone of higher status was risky. Lawrence was clearly sweating, but after a moment’s thought, he reached a similar conclusion. Lawrence and I were already outliers for nobles, but considering Victor was royalty, he was even more of an anomaly.
"Staying all stiff and formal all the time is stupid and a hassle, isn't it? It’s exhausting, so I’d rather not do it."
"I... see..."
An incredibly casual reason. I wasn't one to talk, but Prince Victor was something else.
"Well, since we're just a bunch of casual guys, let's explore over there. I’m getting bored of just walking; maybe we’ll get lucky and find an important cultural artifact."
"We never said you were a 'casual guy,' Your Highness."
"But you were thinking about it, weren't you?"
He wasn't wrong, but since I couldn't confirm or deny it, Lawrence and I just stayed silent. Victor burst into laughter at our reaction.
"Hahaha! You guys are honest. But that’s what makes this fun. Come on, let’s go treasure hunting."
"Don't blame us if Princess Cynthia gets mad at you later for touching things or trespassing."
At the mention of his sister's name, Victor’s bravado vanished instantly.
"...Keep this a secret from Cynthia. And you two have to be my accomplices."
The man who had been laughing boisterously just moments ago was now suddenly meek. Seeing the seemingly invincible Prince Victor shrink so much was surreal and hilarious.
"Hmph... why are you laughing?"
"Nothing you need to worry about. Right, Jeralt?" Lawrence teased.
"Yeah. Prince Victor, you’re doing just fine as you are."
"Guh...! You’re mocking me, aren't you...? Just wait until I find some dirt on you two! I won't forget this!"
I wasn't about to make a blunder that would give him "dirt" on me. And Lawrence wasn't the type to have a hidden side, so in the end, Victor—who couldn't stand up to his sister—would just end up as our plaything. I’d been too focused on my fight with Cynthia the other day to mess with him, but from now on, I was going to tease him relentlessly!
"Now, now, let’s not say such dangerous things. Let's get along. 'Love and Peace' is important, you know?"
"Who are you to talk?!"
"Look, aren't we treasure hunting? Let's go."
I’m the type who likes to save the best for last, so I decided to save the teasing for later and forcibly changed the subject. It was far more meaningful to look for things of historical value than to just walk through piles of rubble.
"I hope we find something good. If we get a reward, we can go get some delicious—"
'KYAAAAAAAAAAAAA!?!?'
" " " "—!" " " "
A girl's scream suddenly tore through the Reigeluk Ruins. The relaxed atmosphere vanished instantly, and we all looked at each other.
"Lawrence, we’re going."
"No argument here. But what about Prince Victor? We can't just leave him here alone."
I nodded at Lawrence's words. In a situation where we didn't even know if this was an enemy attack, leaving the most important person in the country unprotected was out of the question. However, if it was an attack, this environment—full of ruins, poor visibility, and countless hiding spots—gave the enemy way too many advantages. Protecting Victor with just the two of us was too dangerous a gamble.
"Lawrence, can you carry him? I’ll lead the way with Mana Shroud. Follow me."
"Got it. I can handle that much."
"Is that okay with you, Prince Victor?"
"Yeah, no problem. I'm counting on you, Lawrence."
Without a moment's hesitation, Victor hopped onto Lawrence's back. Once I confirmed he was secure, I cast Mana Shroud on myself.
"Ready, Lawrence?"
"Yeah, let's go."
"Moving out!"
I sprinted toward the source of the scream. I made sure Lawrence was keeping up, keeping a sharp eye on our surroundings as we moved. Yet, there was no sign of anyone—no presence of an attacker.
Is it not an ambush...? Then what was that scream?
After about three minutes of sprinting, I spotted a group of female students. We’d passed several groups already, but these girls looked different. I signaled to Lawrence, and we ducked behind some rubble to observe the situation.
It’s Princess Cynthia’s group...! And that monster is...
Down in the ruins, Princess Cynthia was on her knees before a beast. Her bodyguard appeared to be unconscious, and Mia was pale-faced, desperately trying to provide first aid to the fallen guard.
The monster standing before them was a three-meter-tall, porcine abomination with bulging muscles. From its features, I knew exactly what it was.
Wait... is that an Orc?! THE Orc?! The ultimate partner for a "Kukkoro" moment, the eternal rival of the female knight?! My god, it’s my first time seeing a real one...! If I tell him I'm a fan, will he give me an autograph? Wait, can they even speak?
It was even more hideous than I’d imagined. The way its nostrils flared while looking at Cynthia was a huge plus in my book. They call them "Pig-men," but looking at that thing, you’d have a hard time believing there was anything "man" about it. It had an overwhelming presence, like encountering a massive wild predator, but to me, it looked adorable.
(Jeralt, what’s going on?!) Lawrence whispered from behind the debris.
(Cynthia...?! And why is there a monster here?!) Victor added, his voice low and urgent.
The Reigeluk Ruins were supposed to be safe. The school should have scouted the area beforehand. It was definitely strange for an Orc to be here, but at that moment, I didn't care about the why.
Come on... show me Princess Cynthia’s "Kukkoro"...! Go for it, Orc!
However, contrary to my desires, Lawrence drew his sword, preparing to leap out. I grabbed his hand to stop him.
(Wait, Lawrence.)
(What are you thinking?! At this rate, Cynthia is going to...!)
What are YOU thinking?! This is the moment the world has been waiting for! Interrupting this is a crime against humanity!
(I’m not suggesting we let her die. We need to wait for an opening. Luckily, it hasn't noticed us yet. If we jump in without a plan, we'll just get countered and make the situation worse.)
(But...!)
(Prince Victor, please take Lawrence and go find a teacher immediately. At the very least, this isn't something students should be handling alone.)
I didn't mean we needed permission. The Orc before us clearly possessed power far beyond what a student could handle. Sending them for reinforcements was the most logical move.
(...Jeralt. You really aren't going to let Cynthia die, right?)
Victor pushed Lawrence’s hand down and stared straight into my eyes. His gaze was more serious than I had ever seen it. I nodded without a shred of hesitation.
(Of course. If things truly get dangerous, I’ll step in, even if it’s reckless. I promise you on my life, I will protect Princess Cynthia.)
(I see. Then I'll trust you. Save my sister. Please.)
Victor gave a single nod and hurried off with Lawrence to find a teacher. My brain was now operating at maximum capacity. I didn't even have to think about it—I was naturally arranging the perfect environment to witness a "Kukkoro." I would not interfere; I would watch over them like a silent wall. That was the bare minimum of etiquette for a fan.
Now... show me what you've got, Orc!
~Cynthia’s side~
I see. So this is how things break when nature takes its course... One has to admit that the power of nature, which humans can never hope to match, is truly terrifying...
I murmured to myself as I observed a fallen building in the ruins. While this wasn't a site famous enough to be in every textbook, it was a place a member of the royal family was expected to know. I thought this was a good opportunity to see it in person.
"Princess Cynthia. What are you looking at?"
"Oh, Miss Mia. I was just looking at the buildings. I was thinking about how formidable the power of nature is."
I turned to see a lovely girl with her pink hair tied in twin tails—Mia Davis. She was a princess from the Kingdom of Wilhelm, currently studying abroad in the Albar Kingdom. I had been on guard, assuming her kingdom wouldn't have warm feelings toward ours, but she hadn't made any suspicious moves. I was still cautious, but I treated her as a normal group member.
"It’s broken in such a terrible way. It almost feels unreal," Mia remarked.
"Yes. I wouldn't want to think about something like this happening again."
"It would be nice if we could prepare some countermeasures, but without any records or information, there's not much we can do..."
It was said that Reigeluk was destroyed by a natural phenomenon, but since no detailed records remained, it was just a theory. However, the sheer scale of the destruction made it clear that no human hand could have caused it.
"If only some information had been passed down."
"Complaining about the past won't change anything. Our duty as royalty is to do our utmost at all times so that we can protect the people in times of need."
"...Heehee, that’s a noble spirit. Please, hold onto that conviction forever."
"I will. Thank you."
Mia gave me a sweet smile and bowed. There were countless people who approached me to flatter me or seek a marriage alliance, but Mia lacked that ulterior motive. It was comfortable.
"Well then, shall we head over there next? We have a report to submit, so we should gather as much material as—"
At that moment, a heavy thud shook the ground. A monster had appeared out of nowhere, barely fifteen meters away from us.
"An... an Orc..." Mia’s voice leaked out, trembling with fear.
Without thinking, I drew my sword and entered a combat stance.
'KYAAAAAAAAAAAAA!?!?'
The girls from other groups nearby screamed and fled. I wanted to stop them—if they scattered, they’d be in even more danger if there were other monsters—but I couldn't afford to split my focus. The monster before me was clearly stronger than I was. If I looked away, I would be the one killed.
'ME. SEEK. WOMAN.'
I’ve heard they could talk, but to think it’s true... I should assume it has some level of intelligence. I can't just charge in recklessly.
This wasn't an opponent a student could handle. I had to focus on not losing rather than winning.
"Your Highness! Run, quickly!"
"Wait—! It’s dangerous!"
My bodyguard, the other member of our group, charged at the Orc without hesitation. It was a perfect action for a guard, but she had chosen the wrong opponent. A casual sweep of the Orc’s arm sent her flying. She tried to get back up, but collapsed again.
"...Mia! Take care of her! I’ll handle this!"
"What?! Princess Cynthia?! ...U-Understood!"
As Mia ran to provide aid, I lunged at the Orc. I hadn't gathered enough information on its movements yet, but I didn't have the luxury of waiting. Surely the teachers or other students had heard the scream, or the fleeing girls had gone for help. I had to buy time and hold out until reinforcements arrived.
"Hah!"
I aimed a blow at its leg to rob it of its mobility. My full-strength swing was blocked by thick fat and muscle, resulting in only a shallow spray of blood. I wanted to sever the limb, or at least disable it, but my skill wasn't enough to cut through. I immediately jumped back, and the Orc’s fist slammed into the spot where I had been standing.
T-That was close... a single hit would be instant death...
My body wasn't sturdy enough to survive that. I had to avoid being hit at all costs. However, from its words earlier, I wasn't its only target. If I just ran around to buy time, it might turn its attention toward the other students. I had no choice but to fight.
'YOU. ANNOYING. FALL. ALREADY.'
The Orc charged, the ground shaking with every step. I timed its movement, slipped to the side, and pulled back my sword.
I can't cut it with my strength... in that case, I have to finish it in one blow!
I aimed for the internal organs—the common weakness of all living things hidden beneath the fat and muscle. Since a slash wouldn't reach, I would bet everything on a thrust.
Now...!
My calculated thrust sped toward the Orc along the exact path I’d envisioned. But the moment the blade sank halfway in, the Orc spun with incredible force. The centrifugal force ripped the sword from my grip, and I was sent tumbling through the air.
T-This is bad... without my sword...
I couldn't delude myself into thinking I could damage an Orc with martial arts alone. I could move fast enough, but I lacked the necessary power.
'GUFUFU... ME. CATCH. WOMAN.'
The Orc approached with a disgusting, slimy grin. There was only one reason a monster would look at a woman like that.
I’ll be defiled... For a woman, for a member of the royal family, to have her chastity stolen by a monster... it’s unforgivable...
And yet, strangely, I didn't feel like running. If the royalty runs away, there will be no peace for the people.
To kill myself here would be "running away." I will never run...! If I can just buy a little more time...
"—Haaaaaaaah!"
I clenched my fists and charged at the Orc. I had studied martial arts for self-defense, but "punching" wasn't part of the curriculum. Even as a part of me realized I was being desperate, I couldn't stop.
I... I will...!
Just as I prepared to swing my fist with all my might, a shadow suddenly appeared before me. I widened my eyes.
No...! If you try to fight an Orc—!
But the outcome was not what I expected. The newcomer drew his sword, and with a simple kick, he deflected the Orc’s fist and sent the beast reeling backward.
"I’m disappointed in you, Mr. Orc. You truly are a letdown."
"Eh...?"
The person didn't miss the opening created by the Orc’s stumble. He swung his sword. The body that I couldn't cut no matter how hard I tried was sliced open with ease. Blood sprayed from the Orc’s torso as it crashed to the ground.
"Well, I suppose this counts as a solo victory for Princess Cynthia. It seems you are a more impressive person than I anticipated."
The person standing before me—Jeralt Drake, the "Violent Young Lord"—spoke with a composed, effortless smile.
◇◆◇
I stared at my beloved sword, which had just sliced through an Orc like butter.
In the end, I didn't get to see Princess Cynthia’s "Kukkoro." Her heart was just too strong this time. She wasn't someone an Orc could break.
When she lost her sword, I thought the "Kukkoro" moment had arrived, but to my surprise, she had charged the Orc even while unarmed. She had the grit to put her life on the line for others without a second's hesitation, even when she knew she couldn't win. It was completely unexpected.
Well, as far as I was concerned, that just meant making her say "Kukkoro" would be all the more rewarding.
"Forgive the delay. I was waiting for an opening," I said, offering a hand. Cynthia stared at it for a moment, then stood up on her own without taking it.
Splendid. She won't flatter me just because I saved her. That’s exactly how a Kukkoro Knight should be.
"Jeralt! Are you okay?!"
"Lawrence. It’s fine. I took care of it in a flash."
Whether the timing was good or bad, Lawrence and Victor arrived with a teacher. Victor exchanged a few words with Cynthia, his expression finally relaxing into one of relief.
"Well, we should go check if any other monsters snuck in. Someone needs to handle the cleanup of this thing, too."
"Yeah, you're right," Lawrence agreed.
As much as I wanted that "Kukkoro," I wasn't boorish enough to interrupt a moment between siblings after Cynthia had been in danger.
"Ah, w-wait...!"
Just as we started to walk away, Cynthia called out to me. Does she have something else to say?
"You said that justice isn't what a sword needs, right? Then... what exactly is necessary for a sword in your eyes...?"
"What I think is necessary for a sword, huh?"
Now, how should I answer this? I could give a vague, "cool" answer. But I was still planning to make Princess Cynthia say those words one day. It might be better to say something positive that leads to our next encounter. I could afford to be serious for once.
After a moment's thought, I decided to give her my honest feelings.
"Desire."
"Eh...?"
Cynthia looked genuinely surprised. What, is it that shocking for me to say something like that? My desire for "Kukkoro" is the realest thing about me. Her expression was dead serious, so I decided to hit her with the full force of my conviction.
"Justice, love, hatred, anger, self-satisfaction, revenge... the reason doesn't matter."
"And yet... you say 'desire' is what's necessary...?"
"Yes. What matters is that singular desire to become stronger. When things get truly painful, when you’re cornered, that desire gives you the strength to push just a little bit further. I believe that the accumulation of those moments is what makes a person strong."
I had overcome many walls that way. By thinking of and wishing for "Kukkoro," an inexhaustible strength would well up within me, allowing me to swing my sword no matter how hard it got. I spurred myself on, telling myself I could do it if it meant obtaining the strength to defeat a female knight.
Cynthia’s feelings for her people were real. That was why she could become a stronger, more magnificent Princess Knight—one more fitting for a "Kukkoro" moment.
As I turned to walk away again, someone tugged on my arm. I looked back to see Cynthia lightly pinching the sleeve of my uniform.
"In that case... What is it that you are carrying? For what purpose do you go that far...?"
"I told you, didn't I? I have a dream. A modest one, yet difficult to achieve. A precious dream worth betting my life on."
"I... see..."
"If you want to work hard for the sake of others, that’s perfectly fine. So long as you maintain that beautiful, noble spirit, I will face you as many times as you like."
With that, I finally walked back toward Lawrence.
That was the ultimate move! I can't break Cynthia's heart here. I've created an atmosphere where she’ll find it easy to challenge me again. Perfect!
Despite having trained my facial muscles to remain stoic, I couldn't help but let a smirk slip through out of sheer satisfaction.
◇ ◆ ◇
~Victor’s POV~
The first time I met the noble son who went by the name Jeralt Drake was at a social gathering before we entered the Military Academy. Surrounded by noble sons and daughters who were only good for flattering royalty, I was bored out of my mind—until I received a shock.
What an insolent fellow. Is that absolute confidence in himself... or perhaps a passion so intense it could burn him alive? Either way, he's interesting! I’ve never met someone like him!
The Drake family was wealthy enough to have anything they wanted, yet Jeralt had eyes that were hungry for something. And it wasn't some half-baked desire; it was a serious look that suggested he wouldn't hesitate to stake his very life on it. I felt a fire ignite in my own soul, which had been nothing more than a machine performing the duties of royalty.
"What is it you want? What is it you’re seeking in your daily life, Jeralt?"
"I desire nothing so grand. I merely wish to live my days in peace," Jeralt replied without a second's hesitation, his tone cold as if telling me not to step any closer.
But that figure, refusing to flatter and sticking to his own pride and soul, only made me like him more.
I will definitely make him an ally. He's the perfect person to involve in the 'Royal Road' I walk.
Time passed, and now...
As I walked through the palace corridors with my guards, the image of Jeralt’s back as he walked away after effortlessly defeating the Orc surfaced in my mind. Despite having saved royalty, he made no attempt to put me in his debt; in fact, he showed absolutely no interest in a reward.
He showed me how a noble should be. In that case, it’s only right that I show him how a royal should be. If I want him to walk the Royal Road with me in the future, that’s the bare minimum I must do.
I let a smirk escape as I walked. At the end of the hall was the room where the King and Queen resided. I spoke to the two knights guarding the door.
"Is my father in?"
"He is resting inside, Your Highness."
"Understood."
I knocked on the heavy, ornate door. My father's voice answered from within.
"It’s Victor. I have something I wish to consult with my father about."
After receiving permission, I entered. I left my guards outside; only my father, my mother, and I were in the room.
Now, let’s see if I’m fit to be King. It’s time to test the limits of my vessel—
◇◆◇
A few days after the Orc incident at the Reigeluk Ruins.
The matter of a monster appearing where it wasn't supposed to be was currently being investigated by the Royal Knights. Since the school itself hadn't been attacked, today was a normal school day. Lawrence and I were walking side-by-side from the dormitory to the school building.
"What’s wrong, Jeralt? You look a bit troubled."
"Does it show on my face that much?"
"Hmm, I don't think so? But someone who really knows how to look might notice, so you might want to be careful."
I feel like the facial muscles I trained have been getting sluggish lately... I can't even hold back my smirks properly. I should go back to basics and retrain them.
It would also serve as a prayer to see an even better "Kukkoro" than last time from the wonderful talent that was Princess Cynthia.
"So? What were you worrying about?"
"Hm? Oh, just some human relationship stuff."
When I said that, Lawrence looked genuinely shocked. Did I really say something that surprising? I would think it was normal for a fifteen-year-old to worry about such things.
"Why so surprised? It's not like it’s a rare or strange thing to worry about."
"Well... you see... based on your actions so far, I thought you were the type to think 'to hell with human relationships.'"
How rude! I’ve never thought of such a thing! I just... let certain rumors about me being a villain spread—or rather, encouraged them—but I’d never dream of neglecting my relationships!
"I don't think that at all. Humans are social creatures who can't live alone, after all."
"It feels so wrong coming from you, Jeralt... but if you're worried, I’m always here to listen."
Lawrence gave me a bright, innocent smile. That’s when it hit me. In my previous life, my "time without a girlfriend = age," and I had spent my days scouting for 2D "Kukkoro." I was a total virgin with zero knowledge of how to handle 3D women.
But what about the guy in front of me? He was handsome, friendly, easy to talk to, and the son of an Earl. He probably had plenty of experience with women. Asking him for advice seemed like a very effective move.
"Can I bend your ear for a bit then?"
"Of course. What’s the trouble?"
"Actually, I'm having trouble gauging the distance with a certain woman. I'm not sure what to do."
The moment I said that, Lawrence spat out the water he had been drinking from his canteen. I looked at him as if to say, What the hell are you doing? Lawrence hurriedly wiped his mouth with a handkerchief and grabbed my shoulders.
"Y-Your trouble is about... a girl?!"
"Yeah. Lawrence, do you have experience with women?"
"Well, I mean, I have some, but... this is really unexpected."
I knew it. Nobles considered producing heirs a duty, so some families even had their sons "practice." It wasn't rare, and right now, it was a godsend.
"Since I offered, I’ll give you my best advice. So, you want to get closer to this girl, right?"
"No, if anything, I want her to hate me."
"Hate you?! I’ve never been asked for advice like that before!"
"Well, I’m aware that this is a bit of a niche request."
"Sigh... who are we talking about?"
"Princess Cynthia."
It wasn't something I needed to hide, so I answered honestly. Lawrence gave me a look of pure exasperation.
"She already hates you plenty... wait, do you actually hate Princess Cynthia?"
"No? I actually like her quite a lot."
"I understand what you're saying less and less..."
Lawrence’s shoulders slumped in disbelief. Was it really that difficult? I just wanted a bit of an opinion.
"You don't want her to hate you to the point of cutting ties... man, you really ask for the hardest things... Well, let me think about it. Give me a little time."
"Yeah. I appreciate you even considering it. Thanks, Lawrence."
"It’s for you, Jeralt. I’ll do my best."
I really have a good friend.
If I had asked anyone else a question like that, they probably would have said, Huh? Who knows? Figure out that nonsense yourself. But Lawrence was going to take it seriously. I’d have to remember to praise the House of Eden later.
While we were talking, we arrived at the classroom. As soon as we stepped inside, Victor approached us. When Lawrence moved out of the way, Victor put a hand on my shoulder and grinned.
"You knew I had business with you and tried to move away on purpose, didn't you? You truly are an entertaining man."
"Not at all. I simply thought if you had business outside the classroom, I would be in the way, so I moved."
"Hmph. You say that even though we made eye contact. Well, whatever. Can you give me a moment? There’s something I want to talk about."
"Sure. I don't mind."
To be honest, I had no idea why Victor would be calling me out at this timing. But I didn't really have the option to refuse, so I agreed. We moved to the area behind the school building where we wouldn't be overheard. I hadn't been behind a school building much, even in my previous life, but it was predictably deserted.
"Now then, I want to get right to it... any sign of eavesdroppers?"
"None at all. By the way, what happened to your guards?"
"I wanted to talk to you privately this time, so I had them step away for a bit."
It seemed this really was top-secret. Tension filled the air.
"Actually, I have a proposal for you."
"A proposal?"
"Yes. It’s regarding ——————————————."
"—! ...Could you tell me more about that?"
"Of course. I’ll tell you everything."
As I listened to the Prince, my surprise was quickly replaced by a surge of joy. This wouldn't just be a spice for my "Infinite Kukkoro Plan"—it would be a total game-changer.
"I see. That’s certainly interesting. But isn't this a bit much for us to handle?"
"There’s no problem there. The rest is up to you."
"...I welcome it. I have no reason to refuse. Please, count me in."
"A split-second decision. I admire your decisiveness, Jeralt Drake."
Both the Prince and I smirked simultaneously and shared a firm handshake. This was a deal that benefited both of us.
Now... things are getting interesting...
◇◆◇
"Welcome home, Onii-sama!"
"Welcome back, Jeralt."
"I have returned. Mother, Alice."
I was back at my family home in Betrau for the first time in a while. I had already contacted them, so Alice and my mother were there to meet me as soon as I stepped out of the carriage. I hadn't been gone that long, but it felt strangely nostalgic.
"Onii-sama! Tell me all about the Military Academy!"
"Sorry, Alice. I won't have much time, this visit. I’m planning to come back for summer break, so we can talk then."
"Aww..."
Ugh! My heart...!
I wanted to spend the whole day playing with Alice, but I couldn't. Just as I was steeling my heart, my mother came to my rescue.
"Now, now, don't be selfish. Jeralt has things he needs to do."
"Okay... Brother. You promise we’ll talk during summer break?"
"Yeah, of course."
"Heehee, you two really are close. Jeralt, Ian is in his office. You have business, don't you?"
"Yes, thank you. If you'll excuse me then."
"Of course. Off you go."
"Good luck with your work, Brother!"
I bowed and headed toward the manor. Even though school was in session, there was a rule at the Academy that allowed for temporary leave if there were family circumstances. You had to take makeup classes, and if the reason for leave was found to be a lie, it would ruin your reputation, so no one used it to slack off. I, however, had a genuine reason for returning.
"Father, it’s Jeralt. May I come in?"
'Enter.'
"Pardon me."
I knocked on the office door, and my father's voice answered. Inside, I found him in his military uniform, looking over documents. When our eyes met, he gave me a refreshing smile.
"Have you grown a bit?"
"I don't think I’ve changed that much. It hasn't been that many days, even if I am in a growth spurt."
"Heh, I suppose so. Well, never mind that. Have a seat."
"Thank you. If you'll excuse me."
I sat on the sofa he gestured to, and he sat opposite me. Come to think of it, while we’d seen each other, this might be the first time we’d sat down for a proper talk as the Marquis Drake and his heir. At dinner, he just looked like a normal dad.
While I was thinking about that, there was a knock, and my father answered. It was my mother. She was pushing a cart with tea and sweets, which she began to carefully arrange on the table.
"I’ll leave you two to it. It might be hard to 'relax,' but please enjoy your father-son chat."
She smiled and left the room. My father and I looked at each other and shared a wry smile. We both reached for our cups at the same time.
"Olivia’s tea is as good as ever."
"Yes. She is a flawless Marchioness, but I think she's an even better mother."
"Hahaha! To think you’d say something like that."
"And of course, you are the best father."
"You've gotten quite good at flattery. But I’ll take it."
My father laughed happily and reached for a sweet. It wasn't really flattery; I meant it. I’d heard other noble houses were much worse. Regardless of our status, this house was comfortable.
"How is school? Have you gained anything?"
"Yes. Since it prides itself on meritocracy, there are many talented people. As a place of learning, it’s excellent."
"I see. Well, you're exceptionally talented yourself, so there's no need to be overly tense. I heard you made short work of that Orc attack at the Reigeluk Ruins?"
"Yes, Orcs aren't particularly strong."
"Heehee... how reliable. Since you'll eventually succeed me as the Marquis Drake, don't just focus on your studies; go out and play, and build good relationships. Even if they don't serve as 'connections,' knowing a person's character can be useful."
This man was a noble, but his educational philosophy wouldn't have been out of place in my previous world. There aren't many nobles who tell their kids to "enjoy their youth" alongside their studies. Usually, it's all about getting the best grades to maintain appearances. It was thanks to this philosophy that I could get away with the "violent young lord" act in the first place. I was truly grateful.
"Yes. I’ve met a good friend."
"Oh? And who might that be?"
"Lawrence Eden, the eldest son of Earl Eden."
"The Eden boy, huh? I’ve heard he’s talented. If you've become friends, then that’s for the best. Nobles aren't generally trustworthy, so if you can find someone you truly trust..."
"There's no merit in him betraying me, so it's fine. Besides, I won't be foolish enough to let anyone get the better of me."
"Then it’s fine. Cherish your friends."
"I will."
My father nodded in satisfaction. Then, I realized there were two other people I should report on.
"I also met both Their Highnesses. They are as talented as the rumors say."
"The Genius Prince and the Princess Knight... It’s better for the 'palanquin' we support to be competent. That’s perfect."
In Japanese history, it was often easier to support an incompetent leader as a figurehead, but the Drake family had no intention of trying to control the Albar Kingdom. In fact, it was more of a hassle if royalty did something reckless. I felt the same way—if I had time to stage a coup and become King, I’d rather spend it looking for "Kukkoro" moments.
"Hm. I understand the gist of things. Now then... shall we get to the main point?"
My father’s eyes shifted from those of a parent to those of the Marquis Drake. From here on, it was business. I absolutely had to get this plan approved.
"Actually, I have come with a proposal for you, Father."
"Oh? Let’s hear it."
"Yes. Actually—"




Post a Comment