Chapter 2: The "Kukkoro" Hardcore Fan Launches the Infinite "Kukkoro" Plan
Four years had passed since I parted ways with my master, Margaret. I was now fourteen years old, and one afternoon, I found myself sitting at the desk in my room.
It’s not like I was studying or anything, though.
For me, there was something far more important to attend to.
"Heh heh heh... Finally, the time has come to enter the preliminary stage of the 'Infinite Kukkoro Plan'..."
The paper I was staring at was the blueprint for said plan, which I had scrutinized and refined over and over again. I had prepared multiple patterns of action so that I could respond to any situation.
And there was one specific thing I needed to do before I, a fourteen-year-old, entered the military academy.
That was—
"Becoming a villain!"
Villainous reincarnation stories were a dime a dozen in the light novels of my previous life, but I imagine it’s a pretty rare case for someone who wasn't reincarnated as a villainous noble to voluntarily seek out that path.
That being said, my humanity wasn't so far gone that I could say I didn't care how many people died for the sake of my goals. That’s exactly why I wanted to be perceived as evil while avoiding actually committing any atrocities.
"Right. So, before I enroll, I need to spread rumors that I’m a bit of a 'bad boy' troublemaker. To do that... I’ve got no choice but to go out and find trouble myself!"
Even the police procedurals in my previous life said it: if you want something, you have to go out and grab it with your own two feet.
Therefore, I shall roam the streets in search of trouble that will get me branded as a villain! Having spent so much time image-training my 'villainous' tone of voice, I should be able to pull this off!
With a skip in my step, I headed out into the city.
(Now then, let's see if I can find some seeds of trouble...)
This was Betrau, the most prosperous city in the Drake territory and home to the Marquis’s estate. In a city this large and populous, seeds of trouble had to be scattered all over the place.
"Oh! Master Jeralt! We’ve got a great harvest of tomatoes! Come take a look!"
"Hey, John. Let’s see what you’ve got. Oh! These are perfectly ripe!"
"Please, take some with you! You’re always doing so much for us, Master Jeralt!"
"Are you sure? Well, I’ll gladly accept them then."
"Master Jeralt! Please take these too!"
"And these!"
As soon as I accepted the tomatoes from one person, the other residents started handing me things one after another. Apparently, it was their way of saying thanks for my usual help.
I mean, I did occasionally head down to the city during my runs to chat with the old-timers, and if I heard about any problems, I’d report them to my father so he could adjust his policies...
Wait, doesn't this make me look like a total saint?!
I’m supposed to be a villain!
But it felt wrong to refuse when everyone was being so generous... Balancing being "evil" with being a "good noble" to the populace is surprisingly difficult.
"Thanks for everything. I have some business to attend to, so if you’ll excuse me."
I temporarily left the vegetables and fruits I’d received with John, whom I trusted, and started walking through the city again. While it made me happy to have so many people greeting me, it was incredibly inconvenient for my "become a villain" goal. I was feeling quite conflicted.
It was right then.
"M-Master Jeralt! Please, you have to help us!"
(Helping people... but... I can't just ignore someone in trouble. But if I help them, I’ll be moving further away from being a villain...)
The people of this city had been very good to me. They were practically family now, and it pained my heart to look the other way.
(Just once... just this once should be fine, right? If I only do it once, it’s safe. Once this is over, I’m sure—hopefully—absolutely—no more troublesome situations requiring my help will occur. Actually, please don't let them happen, I’m begging you.)
In this world where transportation was still primitive, even if a good rumor started from me helping someone within the territory, it shouldn't spread to other territories and cause a fatal flaw in my plan. At worst, I could just issue a gag order.
"What happened? If it's something I can do, I'll help immediately."
"I-It’s faster to show you than to explain! Could you come with me...?"
"Of course. Lead the way."
As I followed the man, we came across a large crowd. Since my face was well-known as the son of Marquis Drake, the crowd parted like the Red Sea, allowing me to step forward and see the situation.
A man was lying on the ground, bleeding, while a woman desperately called out to him. A man dressed in expensive-looking clothes was watching them while laughing loudly, with two burly men who looked like guards standing by his side.
I walked straight up to the fallen man.
"Step aside for a moment. I need to check his wounds."
"Will he... will he be okay...?"
The woman appeared to be the man's lover. I checked the man's injuries; it looked like he had been slashed with a short blade, like a knife. Fortunately, the wound wasn't deep.
"He’ll be fine. It’s not life-threatening."
"Thank goodness... A-And you are...?! My deepest apologies! Please forgive my rudeness...!"
"Don't worry about it. Someone you care about was hurt. It’s only natural to be a little distraught."
I placed a hand on the woman’s shoulder to calm her down, then stood up to face the man who had been laughing. He looked to be about the same age as me.
"My name is Jeralt Drake. And you are?"
"Hmph! My name is David Morn, son of the Earl of Morn. Now that you know, bow your head!"
What was with this guy? Why was he trying to pull rank on someone who actually outranked him? He seemed like your typical idiot noble. Besides, the Earl of Morn was a noble in the same military circles but belonged to a faction hostile to my father.
"I don't intend to flaunt my status, but if you’re going to play the 'rank' game, you should at least learn to recognize who you’re talking to. You are the one who should adjust your attitude. Now then... what happened here?"
I figured there was no point in talking to this clown, so I asked the woman for the story. Apparently, while they were walking through the city, David had suddenly tried to drag her away to make her his concubine. When the man resisted, he was slashed.
Yeah, talk about being selfish.
"You’ve got some nerve, wounding my precious citizens here in Betrau. How do you plan to take responsibility?"
"Responsibility? What I do with the common rabble is my own business. You’re a noble too, surely you understand?"
"I don't. Don't lump me in with you."
I don't like forcing people. No matter how much I want to see a 'Kukkoro' moment, 'NTR' is against my principles. Besides, my plan involved providing thorough aftercare for anyone who treated me to a magnificent 'Kukkoro' scene, ensuring they lived a happier life than before using my authority.
"Grrr... Just hand over that woman!"
"I refuse. What kind of noble hands over their own citizens?"
"Guh... Then I challenge you to a duel!"
At those words, I smirked. Duels were a method used to resolve trouble between nobles. Both sides decided on the conditions for winning and fought for their honor. If the terms weren't fulfilled, one's credibility as a noble would hit rock bottom, essentially resulting in social exile—a very simple rule.
Since I didn't think words would work on the idiot in front of me, him challenging me to a duel saved me a lot of trouble.
"Fine by me."
"Master Jeralt! It’s dangerous!"
"Please don't push yourself!"
The townspeople cried out in worry when they heard me accept. Well, I had only ever practiced my swordsmanship at home, so they had never seen me fight. I suppose their concern was inevitable.
(I’d love to pull a villain move right here and now, but... helping David in this situation would be physically nauseating, and I absolutely cannot forgive him for hurting my people. I’ll have to postpone the villain move for next time.)
"It’s alright. Just stay back and watch."
"Hmph! Playing the hero, are we? Enjoy it while it lasts!"
David's talking was getting on my nerves. Every word out of his mouth was incredibly irritating.
"So? What do you want if you win?"
"It’s obvious. I get that woman. And for the trouble you’ve caused me, I’ll have you hand over fifty of the most beautiful women in the Drake territory."
"Sigh... What are you even going to do with that many women...? Fine, whatever."
Even if you had fifty women and slept with two a night, it would take nearly two months to get through them all. What’s the point? I personally think it’s much better to have a few premium-class beauties serving you. Specifically, beauties who harbor a grudge against me and obey only under duress—that would be the ideal. The fact that he just wanted quantity showed how incompatible we were.
"If I win, you’ll never lay a hand on my people again. Got it?"
"Hmph, fine. It’s not like I’d ever lose to the likes of you."
He sure talked big for someone who walked like a total amateur. Where did that confidence come from? He should have at least nominated a proxy.
"Then everyone here is a witness!"
"Destroying your own escape route, I see. It’s not too late to run away... Gufufufu."
What a disgusting laugh. Though, I might end up making a much creepier face if I ever saw a 'Kukkoro' moment in person. Since my parents were both gorgeous and I was growing up to be quite handsome myself, I should probably train my facial muscles so I don't smirk when the time comes.
"The style I use is the Albar Style, the strongest in the Kingdom of Albar! There's no way someone like you could beat me when I’m using these techniques!"
(The Albar Style isn't the strongest; it just has the largest population of users... And why is he so proud of just learning the basic techniques when his speed is barely above average?)
Every school advertises itself as the "strongest," so you can't really trust that. Besides, strength is mostly determined by the individual, not the style. People who brag about their style like that are usually weak.
"Just get on with it and come at me. I’ll show you the difference in our levels."
"You certainly have a silver tongue...! I won't forgive you even if you cry and beg for mercy!"
With that, David drew his sword and charged. His attack was so slow and linear that I struggled to think of how to hold back. For now, I simply dodged the sword swing, which could barely even be called an attack.
"Mu... You’re surprisingly quick. Well, let’s see how long your luck lasts."
Wait, luck? I was just trying to figure out how to hold back because the gap in our abilities was so massive. I was actually starting to get worried for him, seeing how delusional he was...
"Why don't you try actually putting some effort into it? You’re never going to hit me like that."
"You’re quite the expert at mocking people...! Since you insist, why don't I show you...!"
"Oh? And what exactly are you going to show me?"
"Albar Style—'Slash'!"
'Slash' was the most basic technique of the Albar Style. It was just a technique that cloaked the blade in mana to increase its sharpness. It would have been interesting if he could fire off a shockwave or something. Besides, the Akatsuki Style’s specialty was cloaking the blade in mana, so I could easily replicate a 'Slash' if I wanted to.
"Take thiiiis!!"
"Hup."
I didn't even bother drawing my sword. I just delivered a counter-kick that sent David flying. Whether it was a lack of actual combat experience or just a lack of serious training, David lost his will to fight after a single blow. Feeling a mix of disappointment and exasperation, I kicked his discarded sword away.
"You laid a hand on my people... You didn't think you’d get away with that, did you?"
"H-Hieee?!"
The townspeople were always giving me things and talking to me. They were like my aunts and uncles. More than anything, I couldn't forgive his arrogant attitude, thinking he could commit such rudeness in my Drake territory. This was the precious land where I was going to build my 'Kukkoro Harem' in the future.
"Please stop, Young Master Drake!"
"We apologize for our rudeness!"
David’s guards tried to stop me. But third-party intervention in a duel was strictly forbidden. I didn't even look at them, let alone answer, as I brushed them aside.
"P-Please forgive me... I’ll never do it again..."
"Hey, didn't you say you wouldn't forgive me even if I cried and begged for mercy? Well, I have no intention of forgiving you either."
I beat him to within an inch of his life. I wanted to make sure no other idiot nobles would think of coming to the Drake territory. By the time David lost consciousness, his face a swollen mess, I let go of his collar and tossed him aside.
"Hmph. Don't come back."
"WOOOOOOOO!!!!!"
"Master Jeralt won!"
"He was so strong! The future of the Drake territory is secure!"
"Master Jeralt~! You’re so cool~!"
The crowd went wild. Helping people wasn't exactly my goal, but protecting the dignity of the Drake family would ultimately help me in the future.
Sigh... My mood had soured. Maybe I should give up on trying to be a villain here in Betrau. If I keep doing this here, I’ll just end up causing trouble for the citizens. I should probably aim to be a villain in other nobles' territories instead.
Sigh... Why is nothing going right...?
"Jeralt. You’ve come."
"Yes. What is it, Father?"
A few days after I had thrashed that pampered noble, David, my father summoned me.
"Actually... it seems you’ve become the subject of rumors in social circles as 'The Violent Young Lord'."
"Huh?"
I was the subject of rumors? And 'The Violent Young Lord'... what? I didn't quite understand, but did that mean my plan was succeeding in a place I didn't even know about?
I faced my father, trying my best not to look expectant or let it show on my face. It wasn't a guarantee that things were going well yet.
"The disturbance caused by your duel with the son of Earl Morn is likely the cause."
"I see. Well, he’s not dead, but I did leave him half-killed."
I couldn't deny that I might have gone a bit overboard. But I didn't regret it, so there was no problem. I just didn't like how his face clearly showed he thought he was the strongest.
"Most likely, the Earl of Morn leaked information to the higher-ups of the Aristocrat faction. We are nothing but obstacles to them, after all."
Oh...!!! Thank you, Earl Morn! I’ll never forgive you for hurting my citizens, but I’ll send you my gratitude for that one thing.
"So the factions are involved as well?"
"Yes, most likely."
The Kingdom wasn't a monolith; it was largely divided into three factions. The Royalist faction, which prioritized supporting the Royal Family; the Aristocrat faction, which secretly plotted to overthrow the Royal Family; and the Neutral faction, which belonged to neither.
Our Drake family was the leader of the Royalist faction, a massive house that unified the Royalists within the military as the Minister of Military Affairs. It was a sordid business, but in the end, violence possessed the potential to overturn the outcome of political struggles in this era of war.
"The report came in immediately, but the information spread faster than expected. This is definitely beyond the Earl of Morn’s capabilities. Only that 'Old Fox' comes to mind."
"Old Fox?"
"Yes. Well, we’ll set that story aside for now. I’ve cleared up the misunderstanding within the military, but the other Royalists seem to be quite shaken. To be unsettled by something like this... Times have truly grown soft."
"The Royalists? I’m still just the son of a Marquis, not the Marquis himself."
"If it were any other house, it wouldn't be this way. Remember, this is the evaluation the Drake family receives from those around us."
In short, we weren't a house that could be dismissed as just another Marquisate. Although I had learned about ranks and history, there were many things I wouldn't understand without actual experience. High society was filled with people who looked beautiful on the outside but were black-hearted on the inside; it was exhausting and draining. Being a noble wasn't all fun and games.
"I’m sorry, Father. It’s my fault it turned out like this."
I was truly sorry. To think he had raised a successor who would be happy to have a bad reputation. I’d work hard on my studies and my sword to make up for it, so please forgive me.
"No, I had received a report from you beforehand, and I’ve heard the details of what happened from the citizens. However... you did go too far."
"I judged that if I let this slide, the Drake family would be looked down upon, so I accepted the duel. During the fight, I thought that if I broke his spirit then and there, he would never dare to oppose us again, leading to the result I reported. I believed it would prevent future trouble as well."
"If you had done this purely out of anger without thinking, I would have lectured you... but if you had your own reasoning, then fine. Just remember that nobles can be troublesome, so be careful not to overdo it."
My father's words were unexpected. I had been prepared for at least a lecture, but it seemed I wouldn't even be getting that.
"You look surprised."
"Well... I thought I’d get lectured at the very least."
"Fufu, you can't raise a child just by making them obey. As long as you have your own firm thoughts, I don't mind. The Drake family isn't so fragile as to be shaken by something of this magnitude."
He was such a 'good father' type. I thought all nobles were either stiff or idiots, but I never expected my father to have such an educational philosophy. I was truly grateful.
"Now then, what shall we do about this..."
"What do you mean?"
"I could easily squash the rumors. But..."
"Is there a reason you can't?"
"I’m currently focusing our intelligence efforts on the Weylun Kingdom, and I’d rather not divert our spies. Besides, it’s not like the Drake family is in any danger even if we leave it alone."
Is the Drake family really that peerless within the country? 'No matter how many weaklings band together, they can't defeat us'... that’s a line I’d love to say at least once in my life as a villain. As I was thinking that, my father let out a small sigh.
"However, our allies aren't necessarily true allies. There are those among the Royalists who would try to drag us down out of petty jealousy, even though they couldn't win against the Aristocrats without us. Humans truly are ugly creatures."
"In that case..."
I spoke up while my mind raced at full speed. This incident might make it so I can't find a 'Kukkoro' moment among the Drake citizens, but if the rumors were spreading through high society, then I was essentially imprinting an 'evil' image onto the proud and strong-willed young ladies. By riding this rumor, I could naturally solidify my status as a villain. Moreover, I hadn't actually committed any crimes myself—a wonderful conclusion where nobody got hurt.
"Father. I am responsible for those rumors. Therefore, please leave it to me."
"Specifically?"
"As you said, Father, there’s no need to force ourselves to clear up the misunderstanding. In fact, if we think of it as a way to filter out those who approach me only for profit, my school life will be much easier."
Well, I was planning to do more than just leave the misunderstanding alone; I was going to encourage it. I needed to keep polishing my 'villainous' image through training—image training, that is—to leave a strong impression on the young ladies. I mustn't forget to remain a 'Gentleman', though. That was my aesthetic.
"Hmm... Well, I didn't intend to do any damage control anyway, so fine. However, if it starts interfering with your school life, I will intervene."
"Yes. Thank you very much."
I bowed and left the office. Once I was in the hallway and had confirmed no one was around—
"YESSS...!"
I couldn't stop myself from grinning. To think that just by protecting my citizens, things would go exactly as I had dreamed. I hadn't received any cheats or skills from a god when I was reincarnated, but maybe some deity was helping me because of my devotion to 'Kukkoro'. Life in another world truly is the best...!
"Oops, I can't be showing this face. I really need to train my facial muscles...!"
I started walking while humming a tune. Then, I noticed a girl running toward me. Normally I would have elegantly dodged her, but this time I didn't move. Because...
"Onii-sama!"
"Alice."
Yes, it was my beloved younger sister. Now nine years old, she was already showing signs of becoming a great beauty. Unlike the 'cool beauty' Margaret, she looked like she would grow up to be the 'cute' type. She was my pride and joy—an honest and devoted sister.
"Haha, I’m glad you came to see me, but it’s a bit unladylike to run in the hallways."
"Okaay. I’m sorry."
Alice had her black hair tied back in a ponytail, which swayed cutely whenever she laughed. But that smile quickly clouded over.
"Onii-sama... I heard about the rumors... You’re so kind, and yet they call you 'The Violent Young Lord'... I won't forgive them...!"
"A-Ah... y-yeah... right..."
I was deeply moved that my sister was getting angry for my sake, but I could never tell her that I was actually happy about the rumors. I wanted to be a cool brother in front of her.
"I’m going to go ask Father to clear up the misunderstanding for you right now!"
"I-It’s okay... I just finished talking to him about it properly..."
"Is that true? Then please make sure to put those who misunderstood you in their place."
"A-Ahaha... More importantly, Alice! Want to play together? Or we could have some tea!"
"I can't. You’re taking your exams this year, Onii-sama, so please make sure to study and train hard. I don't want to be a burden to you. Now, if you’ll excuse me."
My sister turned me down, and I slumped my shoulders in defeat. I really wanted to play with her for the first time in a while... Plus, she told me to put those who misunderstood me in their place. My 'Kukkoro' goals versus my sister's request... which one should I fulfill?
I agonized over it for a while before coming up with a brilliant idea. Why not just do both?!
I’d encourage the rumors for the sake of 'Kukkoro', but I’d act like a perfect, cool brother in front of Alice. If she asked why the misunderstanding hadn't been cleared up, I could just say David was continuing to spread the rumors! What a perfect plan!
"Heh heh heh... Now then, I shall devote myself to self-improvement so I can handle any 'Kukkoro' situation. Maybe I’ll study some military tactics today."
I had taken another step toward my 'Kukkoro' goals! Man, today was another great day! I reflected on the day and nodded in satisfaction.
I didn't notice the unusual smile on Alice's face as she walked away—
◇◆◇
One month after the bad reputation scandal. The day of the military academy entrance exam had finally arrived. The misunderstanding about me still hadn't been cleared up—or rather, I hadn't cleared it.
By being called 'The Violent Young Lord', the black-hearted people who used to follow me around like remora fish in social circles had vanished, making things much more comfortable. Plus, the young ladies who weren't suited for 'Kukkoro' had stopped trying to curry favor with me, so it was all wins. To begin with, anyone who tries to curry favor is inherently unsuited for 'Kukkoro'.
I didn't care about political value; I wanted a woman who was strong and noble in both mind and body, and above all, who would show me her 'Kukkoro' moment from the best seat in the house.
"Now then, I have to take this exam seriously. Both Father and Mother told me to do my best, and above all, I can't betray those expectant eyes of Alice!"
My 'Infinite Kukkoro Plan' already included entering the military academy at the top of the class, but since my sister had cheered me on, I absolutely couldn't afford to lose. I would definitely pass as the top student.
As I was psyching myself up, the carriage stopped and the door opened. We had arrived, so I stepped out.
(I’d heard about it, but this place is huge... As expected of the best school in the Albar Kingdom.)
Before me stood a massive campus with a grand school building. Many other examinees were around, and the tension I had experienced during high school entrance exams in my previous life was already in the air. But apparently, you don't feel nervous if you have confidence; I wasn't nervous at all. I had always aimed to be versatile so I could handle any 'Kukkoro' situation, which was on a far higher level than some mere exam.
"Y-You are Young Master Drake, I presume. The written exam will be first... I-I will guide you."
While I was staring at the school building under the gate, a man in formal wear approached me. It seemed the rumors had permeated well, as the man was trembling slightly. I felt bad for scaring him, so I tried not to cause him any extra trouble.
"Thanks. Lead the way."
"Y-Yes!"
Following the man, I was led to a classroom. Many examinees had already gathered.
"This is for your trouble. Take it."
I pulled a gold coin from my pocket and pressed it into the man's hand. The man looked even more terrified than before as he bowed repeatedly and ran off. It was my own pocket money, so there was no problem with how I used it.
Upon entering the classroom, it seemed seats were assigned, so I checked the paper posted on the blackboard and sat in my seat. Then—
"H-Hey..."
"It’s that 'Violent Scion'... I hate being in the same class..."
"He looks quiet enough, but I hear once he starts rampaging, there’s no stopping him..."
As soon as I sat down, the room went quiet and whispers broke out here and there. Even those who didn't know my face probably realized who I was from my seat location. In my previous life, this kind of treatment might have made me cry, but in my current situation, this was proof that my 'Infinite Kukkoro Plan' was going well, which actually made me happy.
However, there are exceptions to every rule...
"It’s been a while, Master Jeralt."
"Hmm? You are..."
The person who spoke to me was a handsome guy with neatly styled brown hair. I felt like I had seen him somewhere before. I searched my memories for any handsome acquaintances I’d met since coming to this world, and it clicked.
"Ah, Lawrence. It's been a while."
"I’m honored that you remember me."
The handsome guy bowed with his right hand over his chest, acting a bit theatrically. This was Lawrence Eden. He was the eldest son of the Earl of Eden, who belonged to the Royalist military faction. We had met once at a social gathering when we were young. In other words, he was the son of one of my father’s subordinates—a bit of a delicate relationship. My father had mentioned that he’d cleared up the misunderstanding with the houses within his faction, so Lawrence likely knew the truth behind my 'Violent Young Lord' title.
"Are you not going to clear up the misunderstanding?"
"I don't really care. It doesn't matter what the small fry thinks of me."
How was that for a line?! It sounded so villainous! But Lawrence only gave me a wry smile.
"As expected of the Drake heir, you are truly stouthearted. But isn't making school friends also an important mission?"
"I’m not the type who wants to keep incompetent people close to me."
But honestly, the idea of spending my youth as a loner at school sounded depressing... I thought about that while looking at Lawrence and spoke.
"Are you incompetent? Or are you talented?"
"Ahaha, what a sudden test. Well, I’ve put in my fair share of effort. I hope to achieve great military feats under you one day."
Lawrence nodded as he spoke. Well, whatever. I didn't sense any ulterior motives from him, and even though he knew the truth behind the rumors, he wasn't at all intimidated by me.
That was enough of a criterion for me.
"Then you shall be my friend."
"Is that alright with me?"
Being a loner might be a problem if I ever forgot something, after all. I didn't plan on actively clearing up the misunderstanding to make friends, but having someone who knew the truth was just right. I had no evidence, but I felt like I could get along with Lawrence.
"We’re going to be the shields that protect the Kingdom together in the future. There’s no harm in deepening our friendship, right?"
"Then I shall gladly accept."
"You can drop the formal tone too. It might be difficult in public, but once we enter this school, we’re just students."
Lawrence looked surprised when I said that. It was probably rare for a noble to say something like that. But using honorifics all the time was exhausting, and if a superior gave permission, there was no problem. There were precedents, after all.
"Then I’ll take you up on that. I’m used to polite speech, but it is tiring."
"Good. You can just call me Jeralt."
"I never thought the son of the Drake family would be so open-minded. I didn't expect Jeralt to be the one to ask to be friends."
"It’s just a whim. I wouldn't do this for just anyone in the faction."
"Well, I’m honored."
Lawrence gave a bright smile. Several girls in the classroom blushed as they looked at him. He was a very pleasant and handsome guy. Conversing with him didn't irritate me, so I was glad we became friends.
"I should get back to my seat soon. I’ll come by after the written exam. Let’s head to the practical exam venue together."
"Got it. Make sure you get into S-Class, okay?"
"Ahaha, I’ve studied pretty hard for this. Let's both do our best."
With a laugh, Lawrence walked back to his seat. A few seconds later, the bell rang and the teacher in charge entered the classroom carrying an envelope. The talking stopped completely, and silence fell.
"I will now distribute the test papers. The exam will begin in five minutes. If you are caught cheating or engaging in any other dishonest behavior, you will be disqualified immediately."
Cheating would result in disqualification even for a noble. Conversely, while a noble might be placed in the bottom class, they could pass even with a zero. Since graduating from the military academy was mandatory for nobles, failing to do so—unless due to illness or war—would mean being treated as a social outcast. Many nobles seemed to think it was better to just accept being in the bottom class than to risk being caught cheating and kicked out of society, so many simply failed honestly and ended up in the lower classes.
You’d think they’d just use their money to study, but common sense doesn't always apply to nobles. Commoners, on the other hand, couldn't even enroll unless they had exceptionally high grades, but most commoner students were far more talented than the nobles. Is this country really going to be okay?
"Begin the exam."
Five minutes passed, and the signal was given. While many opened their test booklets only to find they couldn't move their pens, I...
(Well, this is easy. How much do they think I’ve studied since being reincarnated? I could solve this in my sleep.)
I breezed through the questions without hesitation. When I finished everything and checked the time, there were still two hours left. The written exam for the military academy consisted of Arithmetic, Albar History, World History, Swordsmanship History, and Geography—five subjects that made me want to ask if they were overdoing the history. It was a three-hour block for everything. There was very little thinking involved; it was mostly just pulling terms from my memory and writing them down. That’s why I finished so quickly.
(Sigh... I’m so bored... I’ve finished checking my work, so how should I spend the time... Should I sleep like a delinquent...?)
I wasn't particularly tired, but since I was so bored, I decided to sleep to look like a delinquent. The desk was surprisingly hard, but you can't complain about such luxuries in war. As the son of the Minister of Military Affairs—someone arguably most involved in war—there was no way I couldn't sleep just because of a hard desk. I quickly drifted off into the darkness of sleep.
After some time, the bell woke me up. Looking around, everyone else looked exhausted. Well, there were a lot of questions. Once the papers were collected and checked by the teacher, we were told to go to the courtyard to check which training ground our practical exams would be held at. Since there were multiple training grounds, the tests would be conducted simultaneously.
I stood up and stretched my body, which had been asleep for two hours, as I headed toward the training grounds. Lawrence approached me with a smile.
"Jeralt. Let's head to the courtyard together."
"Sure. Let’s go."
We walked along with the flow of people. Lawrence spoke up.
"How was the test? Did it go well?"
"Easy. I was so bored I fell asleep."
"Ahaha! Well, I’m confident this time too, so let’s have a contest. How about the loser treating the winner to the most expensive item on the cafeteria menu after we enroll?"
What a charming noble. I didn't expect a noble to talk about treats. Plus, the stakes being just one lunch felt very 'student-like', which made me chuckle.
"Hmph, fine. Let’s make it a best-of-three: the written exam, the practical, and the overall score."
"I was born into a military family too. I don't plan on losing easily, even if it's to the Drake heir."
As we were talking, a sudden commotion broke out around us. Since this was the building where nobles took the written exam, such a stir was rare. Did something happened?
"Ah, that’s Princess Cynthia."
"Princess Cynthia?"
The only royalty I had met directly was the First Prince, Prince Victor. I recall that Princess Cynthia was Prince Victor’s twin sister and the Second Princess. In the direction I was looking stood a beautiful girl with flowing blonde hair that looked like silk—the mark of royalty. Her blue eyes were clear, and while they looked gentle, they also showed a strong will that wouldn't easily break. My first impression was that she was exactly what a noble and kind-hearted princess should be. From a distance, she looked like the bright, fearless type. The kind of girl who was like the 'Class Madonna' and talked kindly to everyone.
"I hear she’s already reached the level of a master in the Albar Style. She’s famous as a candidate for top of the class this year. As you can see, she’s beautiful, and it sounds like there’s no end to the marriage proposals."
"I see. A master of the Albar Style."
"Exactly. Plus, she’s a princess known for her sense of justice, caring for the people and never forgiving evil. The commoners apparently call her the 'Princess Knight'."
"Heh..."
I let out an involuntary breath of admiration. This was an unexpected catch. My face remained neutral, but inside, I was smirking as hard as I could.
(Princess Knight, huh... Things are moving along even more smoothly than I expected.)
I wanted to approach her immediately, but there was a crowd and Princess Cynthia was already walking somewhere. But based on what Lawrence said about her personality, there was no way a 'Princess Knight' would cheat and get disqualified, and since she was a top candidate, she’d definitely be in S-Class. There would be other opportunities. Now wasn't the time to rush.
"What's wrong, Jeralt? Were you struck by Princess Cynthia’s beauty?"
"Hardly. More importantly, weren't we checking the training grounds in the courtyard? Let’s get going."
"Ahaha, I wish you were a bit more fun to tease. I was hoping you’d be at least a little flustered."
"Trying to find something that isn't there won't get you anywhere."
I headed to the courtyard with Lawrence. We checked the bulletin boards to find our assigned training grounds for the practical exam. As I let my eyes wander over the names, Lawrence let out a small voice beside me.
"Oh, looks like I’m in the first training ground. I see your name there too, Jeralt."
"You’re right, it says 'First Training Ground'. That’s the closest one, isn't it?"
"Yeah. We’re lucky we don't have to walk far."
"Whatever. Let's go."
We headed toward the first training ground. There were maps all over the campus, so there was no risk of getting lost. We chatted idly as we arrived.
"Looks like this is it?"
"It’s pretty big. We could do all sorts of training here."
"Come to think of it, you’re a master of the Akatsuki Style, aren't you, Jeralt? Do you need a wide-open space like this for your techniques?"
"I suppose. But narrow spaces are good for training control too. It has its pros and cons."
"Haha. Most other nobles would probably just brag and say the bigger the better, even if they don't actually train. I should learn from you, Jeralt."
Lawrence walked inside with a laugh. But I could sense his strength. You couldn't see it through his clothes, but his gait showed he was well-trained, and his movements were those of a strong warrior. I was starting to look forward to seeing his abilities.
"Kyaaa! It’s Princess Cynthia!"
"Such a dignified appearance... I’m swooning..."
"She’s beautiful..."
The inside of the training ground was filled with such cheers. Thinking 'no way', I looked, and there was Princess Cynthia fighting against a knight. The sight of her fighting with her long, straight blonde hair swaying was truly beautiful.
"She’s in the same training ground too? She really is beautiful."
"Is that the movement of the Albar Style?"
"Yeah. Princess Cynthia is a master of the style. You can tell even without her using techniques?"
"You just said she was a master of the Albar Style. Still, her movements are completely different from his."
"Ahaha, did I? But she’s definitely on a different level than the guy you fought."
Lawrence nodded with a laugh. He knew I had dueled with that pampered guy, David. He probably knew David was an Albar Style user from somewhere, too.
"Hmph! Ha!"
"Kuh! Such magnificent skill, Your Highness!"
As we watched the fight from a distance, Princess Cynthia’s movements grew faster and sharper. It was obvious to anyone that the knight was being pushed back. Finally, Princess Cynthia’s sword sent the knight’s sword flying.
"I... I surrender..."
When the knight yielded, the crowd erupted. Princess Cynthia walked over to the knight and, without worrying about her clothes getting dirty, knelt down to meet the knight’s eyes.
"Thank you very much. Are you injured?"
"N-No! I’m fine!"
Princess Cynthia showed concern for the knight, who answered with humble gratitude. I see, it’s no wonder she’s popular with the people. She truly was a goddess of compassion. Fighting for justice made her the very image of a 'Princess Knight'.
"As expected, she’s strong. Princess Cynthia."
"Yeah. Stronger than I imagined."
Lawrence and I casually shared our impressions of the fight. In the meantime, Princess Cynthia returned her training wooden sword and started walking away amidst cheers from examinees of all ranks. She walked along, smiling and waving at the crowd, but when she saw me, her eyes widened slightly in surprise and she stopped in front of me.
"Oh, you are Jeralt Drake and Lawrence Eden, are you not?"
"Indeed. I am Jeralt Drake, eldest son of the Marquis Drake family."
"I am Lawrence Eden, eldest son of the Earl of Eden family. It is an honor to meet you."
We bowed together. Princess Cynthia smiled, but her eyes didn't seem to be smiling at all.
"My, how polite. Isn't that right, 'Violent Young Lord'?"
"Haha, it’s embarrassing that you know that name. Well, we have our exam now, so we’ll take our leave. You’re welcome to watch if you would like?"
"No, I would only be a bother to my guards, so I shall excuse myself. Besides—"
Princess Cynthia walked past me and then turned around. There was a clearly forced smile on her face.
"I have no interest in a sword without justice."
"I see. My apologies then."
"Indeed. Now, if you’ll excuse me."
With that, Princess Cynthia left the training ground with her guards. On the other hand, I had to try my absolute hardest to suppress the smirk that was threatening to break out at her ideal reaction.
(She’s the spitting image of a noble princess! That’s it! That’s exactly what I’ve been looking for!)
"You’re certainly not popular with Princess Cynthia, are you?" Lawrence noted, pulling me back to reality.
"I don't particularly care," I replied coldly. "She likely just finds the rumors about me distasteful."
"I suppose so. Man... Do you think she hates me by association now? Rough."
"Does it bother you?"
When I threw the question back at him, Lawrence simply gave me a bright, easy smile and shook his head.
"Not really. Personally, I’d rather be friends with you than have a connection with Princess Cynthia. After all, the only reason the Royal Family can even act like royalty right now is thanks to the power of House Drake."
"Heh. You’re an odd one."
"It’s just a necessary survival strategy for navigating through high society," he said with a wink.
By this point, I had taken a real liking to Lawrence. He seemed capable with a sword, his sense of boundaries and timing was perfect, making him easy to be around, and above all else—the guy was perceptive. He could see how the world really worked.
Candidate for my future right-hand man: Found.
"Well then, shall we go take our exams?" I suggested.
"Let's."
We sat down together on a row of chairs prepared at the edge of the training ground. For a while, we just watched the other examinees fight. Most of them were mediocre at best, and after the impact of Princess Cynthia’s performance, watching them was frankly a bore.
"Next: Lawrence Eden-sama."
"Oh, looks like my turn," Lawrence said, standing up. "Wish me luck."
"Yeah, go get 'em. I’ll be watching closely from here."
"Haha, I’ll do my best."
With a playful grin, Lawrence walked off, twirling his training wooden sword with practiced ease. He faced the knight serving as the examiner, bowed politely, and the clash of wood began.
The practical exam prohibited the use of specialized techniques to prevent serious injury; it was a straight five-minute bout against an active-duty knight. Lawrence went on the offensive immediately, trying to settle the score within the time limit. As I expected, his bladework was magnificent.
(Hmm... yeah, he’s definitely got the moves. His footwork and his frame are clearly those of someone who’s spent years in rigorous training.)
In the end, Lawrence managed to corner the knight but couldn't quite secure a finishing blow before the time limit expired. He returned with a slightly frustrated expression and slumped into the seat next to me.
"Phew... I really thought I had him. Couldn't close the gap, though."
"It was paper-thin," I told him. "To fight that well against a pro before even entering the academy is more than enough."
"Coming from you, Jeralt, that actually means a lot."
I continued chatting idly with Lawrence while keeping an eye on the rest of the exams. Once again, boredom set in. During that seemingly eternal stretch of downtime, just as I was fighting back a yawn, the moment finally arrived.
"Next: Jeralt Drake-sama."
Finally. My turn. None of the other examinees had been particularly impressive, and I was dying of boredom from the wait. I was actually grateful to finally step up.
"Go for it, Jeralt!" Lawrence cheered.
"Yeah, yeah. I'll make quick work of it."
As I took a wooden sword from the attendant and stepped in front of the knight, a wave of hushed whispers rippled through the crowd. My opponent was some middle-aged guy who looked like he had a massive chip on his shoulder.
If it’s not a beautiful female knight, I couldn't care less. I decided to just end this quickly and get it over with.
"I don't care if you're the son of a Marquis," the man spat. "Don't expect any special treatment from me."
"I don't need any. Besides," I said, my voice dripping with arrogance, "I’m stronger than you anyway. Just come at me with everything you've got."
"Grr...! I won't forget those words!"
The knight took his stance. I raised my own sword, thinking to myself how pointless this probably was. Silence fell over the arena as everyone waited for the signal.
"Begin!"
The instant the word left the official's mouth, I closed the distance. I didn't even use 'Mana Shroud'; I relied purely on my trained leg strength to vanish from his sight. Before he could even twitch, I had the tip of my sword pressed against his throat.
"Weak. Are you actually a knight?"
"Y-YOU BRAT!!"
With a roar of frustration, the knight swung wildly to knock my sword away. I hopped back out of range, sighing in exasperation.
I really think a knight should have the grace to admit when they've been beaten... Seriously, what kind of examiner loses his cool against a student?
"I-I am a master of the Holy Sword Style...! I cannot lose this easily...!"
The Holy Sword Style was the second most popular school after the Albar Style. Apparently, it was founded by some ancient saint from the Church. The thing is, 'Master' status just means you’ve learned all the techniques in the manual; It doesn't actually mean you're strong. You can be strong while only knowing one move, and you can be a master and still be a chump.
The fact that he didn't understand that proved he was third-rate.
"Sigh... Fine. Use your techniques. I’ll let you go all out, since you clearly can't accept your loss otherwise."
"What?! Specialized techniques are forbidden in the exam!" the proctor shouted, trying to intervene.
But the knight wasn't listening. He was already shifting his weight into a high-output stance.
"If the Young Lord says it is fine, then so be it...!" the knight growled. "You’ll regret those words, boy!"
"Whatever," I shrugged. "We're both responsible for our own lives, whether we get hurt or die."
"I'm glad we understand each other! Now... 'Holy Sword Style: Lightning Slash'!"
'Lightning Slash' was a move that infused mana into the blade to trigger a sudden burst of acceleration. By adjusting the timing of the mana flow, you could create a deceptive change in tempo.
Too bad it doesn't work on me.
"See ya, loser."
I drove my counterattack home before his swing could even complete. The knight’s eyes rolled back into his head as he collapsed in a heap.
"T-That’s enough! The match is over!"
"Hmph. What a disgrace to the order," I said, performing a perfect villainous exit. "A knight should be noble, unyielding, and full of pride."
I handed the wooden sword back to the stunned attendant and walked away with an air of effortless superiority.
Villain Move: Flawless execution.




Post a Comment