Epilogue
──Two weeks later.
I was looking out the window inside the cabin.
This business trip to Silicon Valley had gone off to a great start with the project launch. All that was left was to follow up remotely from Japan, so there were no issues.
My first overseas business trip had turned out far more fruitful than I'd imagined.
“We will soon be making our final landing approach.”
The cabin announcement echoed. My heart rate gradually picked up, beating faster and faster.
***
Stepping into the arrival lobby, I spotted Hanamori sitting quietly in the waiting area.
Even though we'd been video calling every single day, seeing the real Hanamori for the first time in two weeks felt strangely fresh and dazzling.
She really was cute. Unreasonably so. Off-the-charts cute.
My heart gave a massive thud, as if caught completely off guard.
The instant our eyes met, Hanamori's eyes snapped wide open. The corners of her lips curved up slightly... or so I thought, before she immediately flicked her gaze away.
“I'm home.”
“...Welcome back.”
“Did you miss me?”
“Not at all. Not even a bit.”
“Liar. You were crying back then.”
When I teased her, Hanamori's cheeks turned bright red in an instant. Her eyes darted around, her lips pouting slightly.
Aha, she was clearly sulking. And I couldn't help thinking even that was adorable.
“Are you mad about something again?”
“...You didn't send a LIME two mornings ago.”
“Ehh! Really!? Ah—sorry. I overslept a bit that day.”
“Geez, seriously.”
Hanamori shook her head in exasperation, but a faint smile played at the corners of her mouth.
“Besides, Asami-san, aren't you terrible at taking photos?”
“Huh? No way.”
“No, the food photos were super blurry. How do you even manage to make them that blurry? How do you even do that?”
“Quiet, you. I sent them every day, so that should be enough.”
“Please take them seriously. I had no idea what you were even eating.”
“What, did you come all the way to the airport just to critique my photos?”
We looked at each other and giggled softly.
Light banter for the first time in two weeks. This girl was as impudent as ever. Annoying as always.
Well, to be honest, the two weeks without Hanamori by my side felt terribly lacking. I had to admit that much. Frustrating as it was, I couldn't deny it.
“...Shall we go, then?”
“Okay.”
We naturally reached for each other's hands. Fingertips touched, gently intertwining. What people called holding hands like lovers. The distance between our bodies naturally shrank. The scent of Hanamori's shampoo blended with her sweet perfume drifted gently past my nose.
It was embarrassing. Still unaccustomed to this distance between us, my heart thrashed wildly without stopping.
Rolling my suitcase behind me, I murmured offhandedly to distract myself.
“I'm so hungry~”
“Me too. What do you want to eat?”
“I ended up not eating any Japanese food over there. I kind of want sushi.”
“Eww. I want Italian. I found this stylish cafe on Isosta.”
“Eww. I decided on conveyor belt sushi as soon as I got back.”
“I'm in the mood for pizza right now.”
“Usually the person coming back from overseas gets priority, don't they?”
“Nope, the cute younger girlfriend gets priority.”
“Definitely sushi.”
“Definitely Italian.”
“Sushi.”
“Italian.”
Bickering again. It made me laugh.
And so, arguing like we always did, we walked toward the airport exit together.
──We were both stubborn, clumsy, dense, and silly.
Our timing was the absolute worst, failing over and over to a laughable degree.
Piling up countless misunderstandings before our feelings finally connected.
At long last. At long, long last, we made it here.
I think this is just the way we are.
──Our path will keep continuing from here on out.
Surely, passing each other by time and time again.
And yet, holding hands together all over again.
Over and over again, sharing makeup kisses along the way.




Post a Comment