NWQA9y4fvqTQ9rz5lZU0Ky7avuunQd0OpkNmfOuq
Bookmark
📣 IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THE ADS ON THIS WEB, YOU CAN JUST USE AD-BLOCK, NO NEED TO YAPPING ON DISCORD LIKE SOMEONE, SIMPLE. | JIKA KALIAN TIDAK NYAMAN DENGAN IKLAN YANG ADA DIDALAM WEB INI, KALIAN BISA MEMAKAI AD-BLOCK AJA, GAK USAH YAPPING DI DISCORD KAYAK SESEORANG, SIMPLE. ⚠️

[ENG] The Time I Woke Up in Bed with My Childhood Friend—Who Happens to Be Way Too Good-Looking Volume 1 Chapter 4

 

Chapter 4 This Definitely Isn't a Stage an Introvert Should Be On



​“...Ahem. Right then. It’s settled. Our class’s attraction for the festival will be... a maid cafe.”

​“Whooooooo!”

​“Yeah, baby!”

​It was after school.

​Under the direction of our class representative, Goto-kun, we were holding a meeting to decide on our contribution to the upcoming Shirayanagi Academy Cultural Festival—better known as the “Shirayanagi Festival.”

​At first, the suggestions were fairly standard: a crepe stand, takoyaki, things like that. But then...

​『It’s gotta be a maid cafe! I won’t accept anything else!!』

​Thanks to Renji’s relentless—and frankly, overwhelming—insistence, the decision had been more or less forced through.

​Naturally, the girls had met the idea with a chorus of boos. However, their resistance crumbled under the combined weight of the boys' terrifying enthusiasm and...

​『—I don’t mind wearing it.』

​One word from on high from Mizuki, and the matter was settled in an instant.

​...Incidentally, the moment the maid cafe was officially decided, Kashiwagi-san’s eyes went distant, as if she had suddenly given up on life itself. Poor girl.

​“Alright, settle down!”

​Goto-kun tried his best to bring the class back to order, his face still a bright shade of crimson.

​He had the unmistakable air of an eldest son about him. I couldn’t help but think he was destined for a life of constant hardship.

​“We still have more to decide! We need our candidates for the Miss and Mr. Shirayanagi contests!”

​He slammed his hand onto the lectern for emphasis.

​The Miss and Mr. Contests.

​At the mention of the festival’s main event, everyone finally snapped back to reality.

​“I mean, it’s basically already decided, isn't it?”

​“Yeah, pretty much.”

​Each class could nominate up to two people per gender.

​Unsurprisingly, every eye in the room immediately turned toward our class’s undisputed Number One and Number Two.

​—Yukimura Mizuki and Kashiwagi Kotoha.

​Seeing the collective gaze, Goto-kun gave a wry smile. “Well, I suppose that was inevitable. Still, for the sake of procedure... Yukimura-san, Kashiwagi-san, what do you say?”

​He asked tentatively, just to be sure. The two of them responded in turn.

​“Sure,” Mizuki murmured, nodding with a look of complete indifference.

​“Yes... I’ll do it,” Kashiwagi-san added, stealing a brief glance at Mizuki before hanging her head in a gesture of quiet resignation.

​Goto-kun let out a sigh of relief. “Great. Thank you. That settles the girls’ side. Now, for the boys...”

​“Heh.”

​A certain brown-haired individual stood up from his seat, dramatically running a hand through his hair.

​The rest of the class met the display with cold, dead stares.

​“No need to say another word, Class Rep. You need me, don’t you? The man, the myth, the legend.”

​Renji shrugged with a “what can you do?” expression. The looks in the classroom shifted from exasperation to something bordering on homicidal.

​“Oh, r-right. Miyama. Yeah... I mean, I think you’re a good fit, but what about everyone else?”

​Goto-kun’s face twitched, clearly trying to make the best of a bad situation.

​The other boys in class pulled similar faces, their lips curling in distaste.

​“I guess it’s fine.”

​“Yeah. He’s annoying as hell, but I can't deny he's got the face for it.”

​“God, he’s so irritating, though.”

​They grumbled and complained, but ultimately gave their grudging approval.

​I knew exactly how they felt. It’s one thing to recognize someone’s looks; it’s another thing entirely to actually admit it.

​If I could have performed a shoulder throw on the idiot next to me who was currently muttering about how “it’s tough being popular,” my heart would have felt a lot lighter.

​“Alright, so Miyama is our first candidate. We need one more. Any volunteers?”

​The room fell into a heavy silence.

​No one raised their hand. And why would they?

​Volunteering for the Mr. Contest was essentially equivalent to stood up and announcing to the world, “Behold! I am a handsome man!” Unless you were a special breed of weirdo like Renji, no one was going to do something that stupid.

​Goto-kun nodded, seemingly expecting as much.

​“Well, I suppose that makes sense. I would have volunteered myself, but alas... I have zero confidence in my looks! Therefore, I’d rather leave these glamorous events to someone else!”

​“...”

​His declaration was so bold and unabashed that it carried a certain intimidating weight.

​Even Renji was left with a look that said, “Oh... okay then.”

​The atmosphere turned slightly awkward. I mean, sure, his eyes were a bit narrow and his face was a little round, but he had a sort of friendly charm to him. I didn’t think he needed to disparage himself that much.

​Sensing the mood, Goto-kun gave a self-deprecating chuckle.

​“It can’t be helped. We’ll do it fairly and take nominations from the floor. Ladies! Any suggestions?”

​At that, a chorus of “Huh!?” erupted, mostly from the boys.

​What the hell is this guy saying?! The silent screams of my fellow male classmates were practically audible... and I was right there with them.

​There is nothing more terrifying to a high school boy than an evaluation by the girls in his class.

​If you were judged harshly here, there would be no recovery. It was effectively a death sentence.

​And yet, he had suggested it so casually. Of course, since Goto-kun had already declared himself hors de combat, he wouldn't be subject to the judging.

​How incredibly shrewd. Though, knowing him, he probably hadn't even calculated it.

​“Hmm, what should we do~?”

​“Is there even anyone in our class...?”

​The girls began scanning the boys’ faces with mischievous, knowing grins.

​The rest of us sat in a cold sweat, maintaining a desperate silence.

​We felt exactly like prisoners waiting for a final verdict.

​The only one who looked relaxed was Renji, who was currently preening and checking his hair in a hand mirror. He was so incredibly annoying.

​“Hey, Kashiwagi-san, what do you think?”

​“Eh?! M-me?”

​Kashiwagi-san, who had been watching the scene with a pained smile, jumped as she was suddenly pulled into the conversation.

​“Yeah, yeah! Is there anyone? Someone... decent in our class?”

​“D-decent? That's a bit harsh...”

​She’s really laying it on thick, I thought, as if it didn't involve me.

​Then, Kashiwagi-san’s eyes darted around for a moment before she timidly turned her gaze toward me.

​(Wait. Hang on.)

​Why was she looking at me?

​A sudden, nasty sweat broke out all over my body.

​Renji shot me a wicked grin. I really wanted to punch him.

​No, wait. Kashiwagi-san, what are you thinking? Calm down, that’s not it. What would even happen if I went up there? I can only see a future filled with embarrassment. Please, anything but that...!

​“I-I think... um, Amano-kun should...”

​—You’ve got to be kidding me.

​As my name was called, all the strength drained from my body.

​But for some reason, the other girls in class started laughing.

​“Right?”

​“I knew you’d say that.”

​Wait, what? What was going on?

​Everyone was looking back and forth between Kashiwagi-san and me with knowing smiles.

​I just stood there, bewildered, watching Kashiwagi-san bury her face in her hands—her face red all the way to her neck—while the other girls teased her. This was not the reaction I had expected.

​“Amano?!”

​“Hey, hold on! What’s the meaning of this?!”

​The boys kicked back their chairs and stood up in an uproar.

​It looked like they were about to charge at me, but Goto-kun clapped his hands loudly.

​“Quiet down! We’re in the middle of a meeting!”

​The boys grudgingly returned to their seats at his command.

​However, they continued to glare at me with murderous eyes. Seriously, what did I even do?

​Renji, meanwhile, clapped me on the shoulder.

​“Oho! Well look at you, lover boy!”

​He sounded like he was having the time of his life.

​“Shut up,” I muttered, brushing his hand off.

​But wait. Just because Kashiwagi-san nominated me didn't mean it was official.

​If the other girls disagreed, then...

​“I mean, realistically, if we're picking from this class, it has to be Amano-kun.”

​“Mm-hmm! His mom was a famous actress, wasn't she? He’s got such a refined face; he’ll totally be fine!”

​...The moment I heard that, I froze.

​Wait, how did they know about my mom? Renji? It was Renji, wasn't it?

​I looked over to see Renji whistling poorly. I kicked him in the shin, and he let out a muffled groan.

​“Tch... that damn bookworm. Stealing our Kashiwagi-san...!”

​“Miyama is annoying, but Amano is worse because he acts like he doesn't even realize it.”

​The resentful glares from the boys intensified, and my cold sweat wouldn't stop.

​...Wait, is this really happening? Is it actually settled?

​The atmosphere in the room made it feel like withdrawing was no longer an option.

​“Subjectivity and objectivity are two very different things, for better or worse,” Renji remarked.

​“...Renji.”

​“Just suck it up, Iori. Let’s show 'em that our tag-team is the strongest in all of Shirayanagi.”

​Despite the fact that he was groaning in pain just a second ago, Renji gave me a mischievous, bratty grin.

​A few seats away, Kashiwagi-san was pressing her hands together in a gesture of profound apology.

​The girls were looking at me with fond, encouraging eyes, while the boys looked like they wanted me dead.

​And then, there was my childhood friend, watching me with those same unreadable eyes as always.

​Finally, Goto-kun looked at me with a wry smile.

​“Well, there you have it. What do you say, Amano? Will you give it a shot?”

​It seemed there was no longer any escape.

​“...If you’re okay with me,” I sighed, finally giving in.


​◇


​“Sigh.”

​After school, I let out a heavy breath as I washed the dishes.

​“My, my. A sigh? That’s rare for you. Did something happen?”

​“Manager.”

​The manager, who had been busy at the register, walked back into the kitchen.

​Damn. I shouldn't be sighing on the job. I need to keep it together.

​“Sorry. I was just spacing out for a second.”

​I tried to refocus on the dishes, but Manager just gave me a knowing smile.

​“I’m not scolding you. You just looked unusually down, so I was a little concerned.”

​“It’s not exactly that I’m ‘down,’ but...”

​“Is that so? Well, we don’t have any customers at the moment anyway. Why don’t we take a short break?”

​“Wait, I still have these dishes to—”

​“Now, now. Don’t worry about it.”

​He practically forced me to stop and ushered me over to a stool at the counter.

​“Hmm. I think a Darjeeling would be appropriate?”

​“Oh, uh, sure.”

​Wait. How did this turn into a counseling session?

​I hadn't even said anything yet. This man could be surprisingly pushy sometimes.

​While I was thinking that, Manager was already expertly preparing the tea.

​He warmed the cups and the pot with boiling water, discarded the water once the pot was heated, and then added the measured tea leaves.

​He poured in more boiling water, covered it, and let it steep for a minute or two. Then, he poured the finished tea into the warmed cups through a strainer.

​It was a standard British-style brew, but when Manager did it, every movement was fluid and elegant.

​I’d been taught how to do it, but I could never make it look that graceful.

​“Here you are.”

​“Thanks.”

​I took the offered teacup with a reluctant nod.

​The steam carried a rich aroma.

​Manager was very particular about his leaves and had them imported directly from overseas. Apparently, by bypassing the usual distributors, he could get high-quality tea for a better price.

​I took a sip, and the fragrance and flavor were so good that I couldn't help but let out an appreciative breath.

​“How is it?”

​“It’s good. Same as always.”

​“I see. Now then, let’s hear your story.”

​I wasn't sure what he meant by “now then.”

​Looking at Manager’s smiling face, I stared up at the ceiling.

​So, because I drank the tea, I was obligated to talk? I figured that’s where this was going, but is that even allowed? Tea Harassment. Tea-haras. That’s a new one.

​But I knew he wouldn't let me leave until I spoke. Resigned, I reluctantly opened my mouth.

​“—And that’s basically it.”

​I skipped the details and simply told him that I’d ended up as a candidate for the Mr. Contest. Manager stroked his chin thoughtfully.

​“The Mr. Contest, eh? I see. That sounds wonderful.”

​“How is it wonderful? I’m completely out of my element here.”

​“Now, now. You might be surprised at how well you do. You have quite a few fans among the ladies who frequent this shop, after all.”

​“Fans...?”

​I suspected those were more like grandmothers doting on a grandson, but I didn't say it out loud. Even if they weren't here, it was a cardinal sin to talk about a woman’s age.

​“And this Kashiwagi-san who nominated you... I don’t believe I’ve heard that name before. She’s not the childhood friend you always talk about, nor is she your friend Renji-kun. A new character has appeared, I see!”

​“A ‘new character’...?”

​“And I’d wager she’s quite a beautiful young lady!”

​“How could you possibly know that?” I asked, deadpan.

​I’d only said she was a girl from my class.

​Manager just gave me a smug, self-satisfied look.

​Seriously, what is this guy? Is he some kind of mind reader?

​“I gather the girl has feelings for you... but are you actually aware of that?”

​“...Well, sort of.”

​“Oho? Oho ho?”

​Manager peered into my face with a meaningful look.

​I don’t know why, but he was being incredibly annoy... No, he was definitely being annoying.

​First Renji, and now Manager. Why are the people around me so meddlesome? Is the problem with me? I think Mizuki once told me, 『Iori, you’re just a little too... defenseless.』 I still don't quite get what she meant by that.

​“As expected of our star employee. I shall have to make sure I go and see this Mr. Contest for myself.”

​“Please don’t. I’m begging you.”

​I already regretted telling him. Five minutes into the conversation, and I was already miserable.

​This man was cut from the same cloth as Renji. He was clearly enjoying my discomfort.

​As I groaned, Manager’s mischievous smile suddenly vanished. He set his teacup back onto its saucer with a soft, clear clink.

​“...But, you know. Perhaps this will be a good opportunity for you.”

​“An opportunity?”

​“It’s something I’ve thought for a while now. You’re a little too quick to give up on yourself.”

​Manager took another sip of tea and spoke with a wry smile.

​I was taken aback by the sudden change in topic, but Manager waved a hand, as if telling me to just listen.

​“Living within your means—was that your life philosophy? I don’t think that’s wrong, and I can certainly sympathize. But I don’t think you truly know what your ‘means’ are yet.”

​“...What do you mean by that?”

​“I suspect you’ve never really had the experience of giving your all to something, even if you thought it might be in vain.”

​His words struck a chord, and I found myself unable to respond.

​...Because he was right.

​Well, technically, I had done it once. But ever since that competition, I’d stopped trying to challenge myself.

​I still worked hard. But only for goals that felt within my reach.

​I’d learned to distinguish between what I could and couldn't do, and focused only on the former.

​Somewhere along the line, that way of life had become second nature to me.

​“Once you become an adult, you start to see your limits whether you want to or not. But you’re still young.”

​Manager looked at my stunned face and continued, a nostalgic look in his eyes.

​“—I think it wouldn't be such a bad thing to try being serious about something, just once.”

​With those words, he concluded the conversation, saying, “And that’s enough meddling from an old man for today,” with a laugh.

​(...Just once, being serious, huh?)

​Could I even do something like that anymore?

​I hadn't expected anything of myself for such a long time.

​Just then, the shop bell chimed, and a few regulars walked in.

​“Welcome!”

​“...Welcome!”

​I quickly switched gears and returned to work.


​◇


​“Welcome back.”

​“Yeah... I’m home.”

​When I got home after my shift, I found Mizuki lounging on the living room sofa in a camisole and short-shorts.

​Her bare white arms and legs were an absolute assault on the eyes. And, unusually, she was snacking on a bag of potato chips.

​She usually never ate junk food; I wondered what had brought on this change of heart.

​And because it was her, even a simple bag of chips looked like some kind of high-end confectionery. It was practically fraud. I was speechless.

​(Don’t eat potato chips like they’re financiers. I feel bad for the chips.)

​I offered that nonsensical critique in my head.

​Thinking I was jealous, she held out the bag to me.

​“I don’t want any. Where’d you even get those?”

​“They were handing them out at the shopping district, so I took some.”

​Mizuki apparently decided she’d had enough, because she folded the bag in half and secured it with a rubber band.

​“I’ll make dinner right away. I bought some roast beef.”

​I tilted my head in confusion as she stood up.

​“Roast beef? Why?”

​“To celebrate.”

​“Celebrate what?”

​Mizuki gave me a mischievous smile.

​“Your participation in the Mr. Contest?”

​“...”

​At those words, I collapsed onto the sofa.

​(God, life really is a mess, isn't it?)

​Why did things never go the way I wanted?

​I just wanted to live a quiet, unassuming life.

​As I heard the sound of my childhood friend heading to the kitchen with a small laugh, I lamented the injustices of the world.

​—After finishing the roast beef Mizuki had gone out of her way to buy, I sat on the sofa, nursing my full stomach.

​“The Mr. Contest, huh...”

​I wondered what I was going to do.

​I’d given the rules for the Shirayanagi Festival Miss and Mr. Contest a quick scan.

​Technically, the rules only required you to go up on stage and give a greeting... but every year, the boys in particular tended to go all out with their self-appeals.

​There was no set time limit, but they were asked to keep it to around five minutes.

​Lately, the girls had been putting more effort into their self-appeals as well, and many people in the audience looked forward to them.

​If I was the only one who did nothing, I’d end up standing out for all the wrong reasons.

​(Seriously, what kind of punishment is this? Are they trying to kill us introverts?)

​This kind of thing should be left to people like Renji and the rest of the party-loving extroverts.

​I truly wished they’d leave me out of it. But since the decision had been made, I had to go through with it.

​“Do you really hate it that much?”

​As I lay sprawled on the sofa, Mizuki leaned over and looked down at me.

​Her soft black hair fell onto the sofa, brushing against my cheek.

​The sensation, combined with her beauty being so close, made my heart skip a beat. I tried my best to hide it and put on a blank face.

​“Well, yeah. Obviously.”

​“Why?”

​“What do you mean, ‘why’?”

​It should be obvious, I thought, turning my face away.

​It was something I thought would never have anything to do with me. To think I’d end up participating in this way.

​“I think it’s a good thing,” Mizuki said with a smile.

​“What is?”

​“The Mr. Contest.”

​Before I could complain, she stared directly into my eyes.

​“Because you’re handsome, Iori.”

​She whispered the words, her hand gently stroking my cheek.

​For a moment, I felt like I was being sucked into her eyes—those eyes that were like a work of art. I scrambled to get away from her and ended up sliding off the sofa.

​“Ow...”

​Mizuki watched me with a blank expression as I sat there on the floor.

​I looked up at her from my pathetic position.

​“You think... I’m handsome?”

​“Yes.”

​“...”

​Well, that was news to me.

​I’d been her childhood friend for over a decade and I didn't remember ever hearing that compliment. I couldn't help but look at her with suspicion.

​Mizuki gave a light laugh, got up from the sofa, and walked toward the corner of the living room.

​Sitting there was a large, imposing object.

​Mizuki gently stroked it, her touch almost affectionate.

​—Seeing that, a memory suddenly flickered in my mind.

​Oh, right.

​I guess I had heard something like that once before.

​“Iori, I don’t think you’re as hopeless as you think you are.”

​With those words, Mizuki grabbed the black cloth covering the object and pulled it down.

​With a dry whoosh, the object beneath was revealed.

​There it stood—a grand piano, radiating a deep, obsidian luster.

​A special object for the both of us.

​(...Ah. I see.)

​I gave a self-deprecating laugh. So that was her reasoning.

​“Hey, Iori.”

​“...Yeah.”

​“Play for me. It’s been a while.”

​It was exactly the request I’d expected. I slumped my shoulders. Mizuki was looking at me with expectant eyes.

​Ever since we were little, she’d used that look to get whatever she wanted.

​And I’d never once been able to say no to her.

​“Do I really have to?”

​“Yes. You have to.”

​She spoke with such certainty that I gave up and stood up.

​“...Fine.”

​“Mmhmm.”

​I walked over to the grand piano.

​Thanks to Mizuki’s constant care, there wasn't a single speck of dust on it.

​I opened the fallboard and ran a finger over the black and white keys.

​—It had been a little while.

​The last time I’d played was... two months ago?

​I sat down and let out a small breath.

​Mizuki had taken a seat in a nearby chair and was watching me with a smile.

​There was only one person in the audience. But it had been that way for a long time.

​I didn't have any special talent, and I wasn't good enough to enter competitions.

​So, my audience was always just one person.

​But that was enough for me.

​After all, the only reason I played the piano was for her.

​I placed my fingers gently on the keys, feeling the sensation.

​(Yeah.)

​I hadn't forgotten.

​I pictured the sheet music in my head and felt a wave of relief.

​I’d been worried since I hadn't played in a while, but it seemed I’d be okay.

​I took a deep breath and then quietly struck the first note.

​—The song I chose was 『Pavane for a Dead Princess』.

​The masterpiece by the legendary French composer, Maurice Ravel.

​It was a special song for me... or rather, for the both of us.

​Back in elementary school, I was average at both studies and sports. I’d practiced the piano desperately, wanting to somehow get Mizuki’s attention.

​I wasn't particularly quick to learn, so I’d failed over and over again.

​But finally, my teacher gave me the okay, and this was the first song I’d ever played for Mizuki.

​『—Iori, that was amazing. You looked so cool.』

​I could still remember the sense of accomplishment and the emotion I’d felt when she first said those words to me.

​Looking back, that was my first ever experience with success.

​I’d been recognized—if only for a moment—by the girl who was like a flower on a distant peak. The memory was still vivid.

​I’d been so happy that I’d played it again and again.

​And every time, Mizuki was delighted.

​From then on, no matter how difficult the pieces I learned became, Mizuki always wanted to hear this one.

​I didn't even know how many hundreds of times I’d played it.

​By now, my fingers knew the way without me even having to look at the keys.

​It was our song of memories.

​“—”

​I let my thoughts drift back to the past as I moved my fingers in a slow, graceful rhythm.

​Finally, I played the last note.

​The resonance of the sound echoed through the living room. I took my foot off the pedal, careful not to disturb the lingering vibrations, and let out a small breath.

​I don’t think... I made any mistakes.

​It had been two months, but something that was ingrained in you didn't just disappear.

​The sound faded from the room. Then, I heard the faint sound of clapping.

​I turned around to see my audience of one.

​“—Such a beautiful sound,” Mizuki murmured, almost to herself.

​She must have heard my playing enough to be bored of it by now.

​And yet, every time, she always praised me.

​I scratched my cheek, not knowing how to respond. Mizuki gave me a mischievous smile.

​“See? You are handsome, Iori.”



​She spoke teasedly.

​“...Thanks,” I muttered, feeling more embarrassed than ever as I stood up from the bench.

​Mizuki blinked in surprise.

​“Oh? Is that it?”

​“Your turn. You play something, Mizuki.”

​“...I can only play easy things, though.”

​“That’s fine.”

​Mizuki looked surprised for a moment, then gave a wry smile and nodded.

​I moved aside for her, and now I was the audience.

​She sat down at the piano with the same elegant grace she brought to everything else.

​Her long black hair swayed slightly as she placed her slender white fingers on the keys.

​Her face, which was incredibly small and beautiful, faced the piano in silence.

​The sight was like a fine painting.

​...And then she began to play a clumsy rendition of 『Neko Funjatta』.

​The contrast was so ridiculous that I couldn't help but laugh. Mizuki glared at me, pouting.

​“...That’s mean. You’re the one who told me to play.”

​“No, sorry. My bad.”

​Suddenly, I felt like I’d been transported back in time to our childhood.

​Mizuki was so capable that if she’d actually practiced, she would have surpassed my skill in no time.

​And yet, she always wanted me to be the one to play. And on the rare occasions she did play, she’d pout and say her sound wasn't like mine.

​But those interactions were incredibly precious to me.

​To the young me, they were like jewels.

​“? What is it?”

​“Nothing.”

​—Yeah. That’s right.

​My one and only success from my childhood.

​If there was even one thing about myself I could take pride in...

​“Maybe I’ll play something... for the Mr. Contest.”

​“...Mmhmm.”

​It would probably be the piano, the one thing my childhood friend had always praised me for.


​◇


​“Alright, everyone! The application for the maid cafe has been approved... approved... yeah, it actually went through... Anyway! Our figureheads and our strategy have been decided! With Yukimura-san and Kashiwagi-san at the center, we’ll use the maid cafe and the Beauty Pageant to draw in customers! The rest of us will be their support! Got it?!”

​After school. In response to Goto-kun’s leadership during the planning meeting, a deep, masculine cheer of “Whoooooo!” erupted from the boys.

​“This is a guaranteed win!”

​“I don’t see how we can lose!!”

​The boys were in full festival mode, practically dancing with joy.

​The girls, meanwhile, watched them with cold stares, but they’d grudgingly accepted it with thoughts like, “Well, if Yukimura-san is okay with it...”

​“Hey! More importantly, what are we doing about the maid outfits?”

​At that question from one of our classmates, Renji jumped up.

​“Leave that to me! I’ll use every connection I have to procure the highest quality outfits imaginable! ...Oh, by the way, ladies? If you wouldn't mind giving me your three-sizes—”

​“Excuse me?”

​“You wanna say that again?”

​“Ah, never mind. It was nothing.”

​Renji’s proposal was heartlessly crushed. The maid outfits would be handled by one of the girls whose parent worked in the apparel industry.

​(Maid outfits, huh.)

​I suddenly remembered my conversation from last night.

​—I’d asked Mizuki if she had any qualms about wearing a maid outfit.

​She’d just tilted her head.

​『Not really. It’ll make you happy, won’t it, Iori?』

​『Wait. Why me?』

​『? You don’t want to see it?』

​『...I mean, I do.』

​『Mmhmm.』

​That was how the conversation had gone. No, what do you mean, “Mmhmm”? What was with that “I already know” face?

​From there, we continued to solidify the ideas for the interior and determine what supplies we needed. The structure of the maid cafe was quickly coming together.

​Usually, this kind of thing was led by a handful of enthusiastic students, but with the added “perk” and the sheer destructive power of the words “Maid Cafe,” the boys’ motivation was incredibly high.

​Before I knew it, most of the major decisions had been made in less than an hour.

​“Hmm. However, we’re going to need to do a considerable amount of shopping. We should split up and...”

​When the conversation reached that point, I raised my hand.

​“Goto-kun.”

​“Hmm? Amano. What is it?”

​“Is it okay if I handle the shopping? In exchange, I’d appreciate it if you could let me leave a little early during the after-school prep...”

​“Oh?”

​It seemed Goto-kun was surprised that I’d volunteer for something. He looked at me with suspicion.

​To anyone else, it probably sounded like I was just trying to get out of the manual labor.

​But Goto-kun seemed to have an inkling of the situation.

​“I see. Understood! Amano, the shopping is yours.”

​“Oh! M-me too!”

​Kashiwagi-san suddenly stood up and raised her hand.

​“Can I help too? I... I also need a bit of time for myself.”

​She spoke with a look of embarrassment and apology.

​Her reason was probably the same as mine.

​Goto-kun nodded magnanimously at her suggestion.

​“Of course. However, Kashiwagi-san, you’re also one of our main attractions for the cafe. I’ll need you to participate in the service practice once the interior is finished...”

​“Oh, right. That’s fine! I think I can make it work by then.”

​“Alright then. I’ll leave it to the two of you.”

​As Goto-kun nodded, Kashiwagi-san and I let out sighs of relief.

​A few people in the class looked confused, but most of them seemed to understand.

​And of course, he was one of them.

​“Oh-ho, Iori! Look at you, all motivated and everything.”

​Renji draped an arm around my shoulder with a grin.

​“I’m not motivated at all. If I could, I wouldn't do it.”

​“Heh heh. Well, I guess I can't slack off either. As the one who proposed the maid cafe, I gotta work hard on the prep too.”

​Listen to what I’m saying, I thought. But Renji just kept grinning.

​Must be nice to be having so much fun, I thought, staring off into the distance.

​“Well, I’ll do what I can,” I said.

​Renji gave a wry smile.


Post a Comment

Post a Comment

close