Chapter 10: The Trash Scion Earns Trust
Having survived midterms, regular school life returned. Not that it meant much to me; as a body double, every day felt extraordinary.
Thanks in part to my study sessions with Touka, my test results were actually quite good.
She taught me where I got stuck and really pulled my grades up.
During lunch break, we ate in the Equipment Storage Room and compared our answer sheets.
Her average score was higher than mine.
"I'd love to catch up to you on the next test, Touka," I said.
"Then will you come study with me next time too? We have to work on your training as well," she replied.
"We're doing that training again?"
"You have to overcome the seductions of other girls so that you don't end up falling in love."
Touka said this with a bit of a sharp, tsundere attitude.
"Hm? 'Other'? You make it sound like it's okay for me to lose to your seduction."
"I-I would never seduce you!"
"Ah, I get it. It's because you know I won't fall in love, Touka."
She mumbled something in response, but I couldn't quite catch it.
As soon as midterms ended, my work as class representative gradually began to get busier.
In mid-June, Meika Academy High School would host its founding anniversary party. I was being roped into the preparations.
It was an annual buffet-style party attended not only by students' parents but also by guests from the financial world. Since this school had many children from that sphere, the event apparently also functioned as a place to build connections.
I wasn't a core member of the executive committee, so I wasn't incredibly busy. Still, with class coordination and handling communications, various odd jobs piled up day by day.
That day, a joint preparatory meeting for the founding anniversary party was being held in a school conference room, gathering class representatives from every grade.
Naturally, Mao and I were also in attendance as our class representatives.
"—And so, that is the current status of our class. Since there are many parents hoping to attend, we plan to proceed with creating the invitations ahead of schedule."
During the meeting, I was explaining the preparation status for my class.
When I finished speaking and took my seat, everyone in the conference room was staring at me in sheer dumbfoundment.
I could hear whispers spreading among the upperclassmen.
"Is that the Hoshimiya Eitarou who's rumored to be a total playboy? He's actually doing his job properly."
"He's totally different from what I imagined... It's like he's a different person."
As far as I was concerned, I was just doing my normal duties as a class representative.
Even if I was playing the part of a womanizing scion, doing a half-assed job and causing problems seemed like it would just bring its own set of headaches.
However, it was also a problem if there was too big a gap from Hoshimiya Eitarou's image.
I flashed a frivolous grin at the upperclassmen.
"Of course I do things properly. A capable guy is more popular with girls, isn't he?"
Hearing that, the upperclassmen nodded in understanding, evidently thinking that sounded exactly like Hoshimiya Eitarou.
Glancing next to me, Mao had a rather conflicted expression.
"Hoshimiya-kun, are you really only ever thinking about being popular with girls?"
"I wouldn't have any motivation otherwise, right?"
Eventually, the meeting moved on to the next agenda item.
The person speaking was the executive committee chair, a third-year female student sitting at the front of the room.
"Now we will decide who will give the freshman representative keynote. Do we have any volunteers among the first-years?"
The freshman representative keynote involved one first-year taking the stage and delivering a speech before everyone.
Although it was a school party, there would be many adults present, so a poorly constructed speech would result in humiliation. On the flip side, an impressive speech would instantly earn one widespread respect.
But for students who were just starting to get used to the school, it was a heavy burden to bear.
Not a single first-year representative raised their hand, instead whispering "You do it" back and forth among themselves.
As for me, being a body double meant I didn't want to do anything that would make me stand out in front of a large crowd.
As the silence dragged on, the executive committee chair's eyes landed on me.
"It seems there are no volunteers. In that case, Hoshimiya-kun, could we ask you to handle the speech?"
"Me?"
The other class representatives began nodding in unison.
"After all, you're the scion of Hoshimiya Central. Who better to serve as our representative?"
Giving a speech in front of attendees from outside the school ran the risk of my true identity being exposed.
But humbly declining would be out of character for Hoshimiya Eitarou too.
I decided to use this opportunity to lean into my trash scion persona and show off my lack of seriousness.
"Are you sure about that? If they hear my speech, every girl in this school will be swooning to join my harem, you know?"
Seeing my attitude, the executive committee chair frowned exactly as I had expected.
"Hoshimiya-kun, this is an official event. Please try to maintain a sense of decorum."
"You say decorum, but this is just who I am."
The executive committee chair let out a heavy sigh. It looked like I was going to escape the speech assignment.
"He really is the frivolous playboy the rumors make him out to be."
"He probably couldn't give a decent speech anyway."
Scoffs and snickers could be heard from the students in attendance.
That was when Mao raised her hand beside me.
"Madam Chair! I serve as class representative alongside Hoshimiya-kun, so I know! He might say a lot of frivolous things, but he's the kind of person who completes every job without cutting corners!"
The executive committee chair pondered for a moment before nodding.
"I understand. If Mizuki-san is recommending him, then I suppose we can't go wrong. Does anyone have objections to Hoshimiya-kun giving the speech?"
"No objections!"
"Then it's decided. Hoshimiya Eitarou-kun will give the freshman representative keynote."
And just like that, I was saddled with the massive responsibility of giving a speech in front of the entire student body and parents from the financial world.
☆
Because of the founding anniversary party meeting, I ended up heading home late that day.
As the sun began to set, Mao and I found ourselves walking together part of the way home.
"Man, this is a mess... What am I supposed to talk about in this speech?"
As I grumbled in dismay, Mao chuckled slightly next to me.
"Hehe. So even you worry about things, Hoshimiya-kun. Weren't you going to make all the girls swoon?"
"Well, you see, I'm worrying about what kind of speech will make the girls fall for me. ...Anyway, Mao, why did you suddenly recommend me back there?"
"It just felt frustrating. Everyone was making fun of you even though they don't know the real you."
Hearing her say that made me happy, but it also made my chest ache with guilt.
I was a body double. If anything, Mao was the one who didn't know the real me.
In any case, what was decided was decided.
I shared similar facial features and a similar build with the real Eitarou-san. So even if there were people at the speech venue who knew him from middle school, they likely wouldn't realize it immediately.
The problem was the content of the speech. I needed to think of an address that sounded like Hoshimiya Eitarou.
Previously, while I was preparing to be a body double, I had been shown some of the Hoshimiya family's home videos. One of them featured Eitarou-san giving a student representative greeting in his middle school auditorium.
"I could make every girl in this school my girlfriend!"
...Or so he boldly declared in front of the entire student body.
Even if I was his body double, could I really muster up that kind of nerve?
It was a troubling dilemma, but I couldn't exactly tell Mao about any of that.
"Well, it's a rare opportunity, so I have to make sure the content is enough to woo every single girl."
"Honestly, Hoshimiya-kun. Stop joking around and take this seriously. You're fully capable of it, aren't you?"
"But I've never even given a proper speech before."
"Since I recommended you, I'll take responsibility for it too. I'll help you write the draft for your speech."
Mao stopped walking and turned to face me.
"I think I was looking at you through a lens of prejudice, Hoshimiya-kun. I thought you were someone who only ever thought about girls. But working alongside you as a class representative, I learned that you're someone who tackles things earnestly. I changed my mind—I realized I should try to be more like you."
A sparkling radiance dwelled in the depths of Mao's eyes.
"I'm not being serious about it or anything. It's just because being a class rep gives me lots of chances to meet girls."
Mao's expression clouded over.
"...Is that really your goal? Can you really work that passionately just for that?"
"I do everything in pursuit of women. In other words, if I can get women out of it, I'll take on even the most troublesome jobs. That's who I am—Hoshimiya Eitarou."
Mao fell completely silent.
With this, she should regain her understanding that I was an irredeemable piece of trash.
Suddenly, Mao looked up and shouted in a voice filled with hidden resolve.
"Hoshimiya-kun, if you want girls, I'll give you myself!"
"...H-huh?"
"Make me... your woman!"
On the inside, I was drenched in cold sweat. To think the serious Mao would explode with something like this right here.
However, I couldn't let her realize I was a body double. I put on the act of a wolf eyeing its prey.
"O-oh~. So you're willing to join my harem too, Mao. That makes me happy."
"No harems allowed! I won't accept that! You only need me as your girlfriend!"
"That's a problem. One woman isn't enough to satisfy me. I want to date at least five... no, ten women."
"T-ten!?"
"How about it? If you're okay with that, I'll let you into my harem too, Mao."
Mao gritted her back teeth.
Good grief. Surely she would give up and back off now.
"...Then I'll be the equivalent of ten women. I'll satisfy you enough for ten people!"
I felt like I had only added fuel to the fire.
I couldn't lose my nerve. She was just pressing me aggressively in an attempt to persuade me.
If I acted even more aggressive than her, she would surely get embarrassed and retreat.
I placed both my hands on her shoulders and slowly pulled her closer.
"Since you're going that far, I assume you're prepared. You're going to give me plenty of satisfaction, enough for ten women. Got it?"
"H-hau..."
Mao's eyes widened in surprise, her half-open lips trembling.
Her soft, beautiful face was dyed vermilion in the twilight air.
I slowly leaned my face in, stalling for time.
Come on, hurry up and shove me away. Bring back the serious, strict Mao.
...She closed her eyes and puckered her lips.
"I'm... prepared. You can take... everything I have..."
This is bad. This is seriously bad. Even with zero romantic experience, I could tell.
If I accidentally kissed her here, it would turn into a lifelong commitment.
I frantically pushed her shoulders back.
"Actually, never mind. Playing around with serious girls is a pain in the neck later."
"P-playing around!?"
I shrugged my shoulders and tossed out the words as if it were obvious.
"When I'm bored of playing, it's goodbye. That's how my romances work."
Mao's shoulders began to tremble violently.
"Right... So that really is your true nature, Hoshimiya-kun..."
She stared at me with an expression that mixed frustration and sorrow, then quickly turned her back to me.
"Fine, whatever!!"
Throwing those words over her shoulder, Mao briskly walked away.
Somehow, I had managed to weather the crisis once again...
This time for sure, Mao must be thoroughly disgusted with me from the bottom of her heart.
I was a body double. I was in no position to fall in love.
This was for the best, for her sake too.
☆
During break time the next day, Touka, who sat behind me, struck up a conversation.
"You seem busy with your class representative duties, Hoshimiya-kun."
"The founding anniversary party is getting closer, after all. We had a meeting for the preparations yesterday too."
"...Was Mizuki-san there with you?"
Touka shot a quick glance over at Mao's seat.
"Well yeah, she's a class representative too. What about it?"
"Nothing in particular. I was just wondering if you were hitting on Mizuki-san and leading her on."
"Why would you care about that?"
"Because you have circumstances that prevent you from falling in love, right? I'm just looking out for you, Hoshimiya-kun."
"No need to worry. She's serious, so she doesn't have the kind of personality to fall for a guy like me."
Though judging by how things went yesterday, there's actually plenty to worry about.
Mao stood up from her seat and approached me.
"Hoshimiya-kun. Make sure to ask Futaba-sensei about the next class representative agenda later."
Delivering only her message with a curt attitude, she immediately turned her back.
It seemed she was still angry about yesterday; her aura was freezing cold.
See? Nothing to worry about, right?
I gave Touka a meaningful glance.
She really doesn't seem to like you at all, huh.
She wore an impressed expression as well.
But just as Mao started walking away, she suddenly spun back to face me.
"...You know, I did some thinking last night. About how you've never been serious about a romance before, Hoshimiya-kun. I'm sure it's just because you haven't met a girl you could be serious about."
Then, fully turning back to me, she offered a gentle smile like a doting older sister.
"But from now on, you have me. I'll make you serious. I'm going to teach you that in love, having just one person you can be serious about is more than enough."
...Behind me, Touka was giving a blank, dead-eyed stare.
Touka stood up and spoke to Mao.
"Mizuki-san, don't let Hoshimiya-kun deceive you. He's always hitting on girls and manipulating them into liking him. Ignoring him is the best option."
Mao narrowed her eyes and stared right back at Touka, as if rising to a challenge.
"I guess you just weren't able to make Hoshimiya-kun serious, Rindou-san."
"I'm just being one-sidedly hit on by Hoshimiya-kun! Aaah, I really wish he would give up on getting serious about me~."
"You're the one being deceived, Rindou-san! Have you ever even seen him when he's serious!? Hoshimiya-kun only shows his true, serious side in front of me!"
Clearly, Mao was even more resolute than yesterday.
Touka and Mao locked gazes, clashing like warriors on the eve of a decisive battle.
"More importantly, why are you getting so desperate too, Touka?"
"Stay out of this, Hoshimiya-kun."
Trapped between the two girls, I had no choice but to cower as if terrified by an oncoming storm.
Suddenly feeling a gaze from afar, I looked toward the classroom entrance.
Uine was standing there, glaring in our direction with both her hands clenched tightly into fists.
Her lips moved. I couldn't hear her voice, but it looked like she was saying this:
"I absolutely will not permit you to steal him away...!!"
Someone, anyone... please teach me how to get girls to hate me...
★
With a crisp, dry thwack, the arrow pierced the center of the target.
I hit dead center...!
Standing in the Mizuki Estate Archery Range, Mao felt a solid sense of confirmation.
There was no longer any hesitation. Her heart was an arrow shot straight and true.
Having finished her archery practice, Mao went to the bathroom to wash off her sweat.
When she entered the changing room and took off her archery uniform, the tautness of her large breasts reminded her of a supple bow.
A well-trained bow and arrow. With these two things combined, she was bound to pierce her intended target without fail.
"Hoshimiya-kun, I'll change you. I'll awaken you to the joy of loving just one single girl!" she declared.
Hoshimiya Eitarou. When she had first heard the rumors about him, she'd thought him to be the most detestable sort of person.
An irresponsible, frivolous man who flaunted his family's status to lay his hands on girl after girl, following his every desire.
However, once she got to know him by working alongside him as a class representative, she realized something was different.
He worked passionately on the tedious tasks of their class without ever slacking off. Wasn't that his true nature?
On the way home from the meeting that day, he stopped himself from kissing Mao. He claimed that romance was just a game to him.
Anger had boiled up inside her at the time. But thinking about it calmly, she couldn't help but feel that he had stopped the kiss because he realized he couldn't just play around with her feelings.
He pretended to be frivolous so he wouldn't end up hurting me...
That was it. She couldn't let herself be deceived by his superficial flippancy.
Deep down, he has a gentle heart. I have to be the one to make him realize that.
If she could do that, he would definitely change. He would become a respectable person with sincere passion.
Can I really do it...?
As Mao stepped into the bathroom and took a shower, she felt a slight wave of anxiety.
Her opponent was a scion with an abundance of romantic experience, even if he was frivolous.
Could someone like Mao, who had never even been in love, really ignite a fire in his heart?
"...I have to try. My heart has already been fired like an arrow."
If it would light a flame in his heart, she wouldn't stop at just a kiss. Even if she had to offer him her body...
"Offer... my body..."
The moment she imagined it, an overwhelming sense of embarrassment surged through her, and her entire body flushed bright red.
"O-O-Of course, I don't mean it in a dirty way! It's p-proof of my love! H-Hoshimiya-kun! I-I won't forgive you if you only stare at my chest!"
Screaming under the shower, Mao writhed around all by herself in sheer agony.
"...B-But, i-if you're only going to look at my chest..."
Her subsequent words were drowned out by the sound of the shower.




Post a Comment