Interlude 2: Lily's Future Diary II
[Divine Grant Calendar: July 23, Year 794]
Immediately after three grueling days of final exams ended, we boarded a carriage behind the academy away from prying eyes and departed the Royal Capital. Though we left with barely the clothes on our backs, the carriage was fully stocked with travel gear and fresh garments.
Inside were spare clothes for me, alongside two maid uniforms and a butler outfit.
Hidden among the clothing was a letter of instruction from my father.
The plan was to make it seem as though our carriage was heading toward the Puridy territory, only to switch carriages midway to secretly head toward the Pnocis territory instead.
Tia, Lecty, and Hugh were to disguise themselves as maids and a butler of the Puridy house. I had always harbored a secret wish to see them dressed like that, but I never imagined it would happen under such dire circumstances. I only wish I could have enjoyed the sight in more peaceful times...
The carriage slipped out of the Royal Capital without incident. Following the main highway to the town just before the Puridy territory takes seven days by carriage. From there, changing course to reach the Pnocis territory will likely take another fifteen days or more.
A long journey lies ahead. If only this weren't a desperate flight from danger, I might have found myself looking forward to it...
Outside the carriage window, the silhouette of the Royal Capital grows smaller with each passing moment.
I cannot help but worry for Father and everyone left behind in the capital. What will become of them?
I pray with all my heart that Father and the others remain safe, and that we will all be reunited once more.
I couldn't stop myself from making that silent plea over and over again.
[Divine Grant Calendar: July 31, Year 794]
Our journey has proceeded smoothly so far, and we managed to switch carriages in the town before the Puridy territory right on schedule.
I was utterly shocked, however—I never expected to run into Mother right in the middle of town!
Mother maintained a perfectly cool expression, claiming she had merely "come to do some shopping," but there is no reason for her to travel a full day from the Puridy estate to a neighboring territory just for errands.
...Was she worried about me?
Yet after only a brief exchange with me, Mother turned her attention to Hugh.
"Please take good care of my daughter," she said.
I don't think I had ever seen my mother bow her head to anyone before in my entire life.
I am to seek refuge in the Pnocis territory for the time being. I had held onto the naive hope that it would be a brief stay, lasting only for the duration of summer break.
Yet the gravity in Mother's voice made it feel as though she were entrusting my very life to Hugh. As we parted, she smiled gently at me and said, "You have grown into a splendid lady, worthy of the Puridy name."
Earning Mother's approval should have filled me with joy.
There were so many things I wanted to tell her.
Instead, tears welled up uncontrollably, choking back all my words.
We watched Mother depart for the Puridy territory in the carriage we arrived in, then set off in our new carriage. As tears continued to spill down my cheeks inside the carriage, Hugh sat beside me, offering quiet comfort without asking for a word.
His warmth and thoughtfulness were so deeply precious to me.
[Divine Grant Calendar: August 9, Year 794]
Up until today, our travel had been uneventful.
We had already covered more than half the distance to the Pnocis territory, placing us far away from the Royal Capital.
I never imagined the fallout of the war for succession would reach even a place like this.
...It pains me to write about what transpired today in my diary.
For that reason, I will omit the specific details. But if there is one thing I wish to convey to my future children and grandchildren, it is that Hugh did nothing wrong.
We crossed paths with an armed noble troop on the highway.
They bore the banners of Prince Slay's faction. I do not know where they were marching—whether toward the Royal Capital, or toward the Puridy domain for betraying Prince Slay's cause.
Either way, all we could do was hold our breath and pass by quietly.
If anyone had realized I was inside the carriage, we would have been surrounded in an instant.
Following behind the uniform soldiers in full armor was an unruly band of men clad in mismatched armor. They were likely mercenaries hired by the nobility in preparation for war. Unlike the disciplined ranks of the noble troop, these mercenaries were crude and lawless.
Whether their filthy eyes fell upon me, Lecty, or Tia, I cannot say. Had Hugh not fought back with everything he had, those monsters would have violated us.
Even now, several days later, the terror of that moment remains vivid enough to make my hands tremble as I hold this pen.
Hugh fought desperately to protect us.
Just as he finished striking down the mercenaries, the noble troop turned back after hearing the commotion.
We immediately made a swift escape in our carriage.
Fortuitously, the noble troop gave up the chase almost immediately.
They likely prioritized their military march, or perhaps even they held little regard for the crude mercenaries.
Whatever the case, we managed to escape the crisis unscathed.
...However, Hugh was deeply shaken, looking more shattered than we had ever seen him. Tia and Lecty held his trembling hands, offering words of encouragement, but the color refused to return to his face.
No amount of gratitude or comfort seemed capable of reaching him. So, after consulting with Tia and Lecty, we decided to take decisive action that night.
As for what we actually did... well, I shall refrain from going into details. I was relieved to see that Hugh had regained a bit of his energy by the following morning. I suppose putting ourselves on the line was well worth the effort.
[Divine Grant Calendar: August 18, Year 794]
Despite encountering various troubles along the road, we have finally arrived in the Pnocis territory.
It seems Hugh's father and mother had received advance word from Prince Lucas.
Knowing full well the danger involved, they welcomed us with open arms.
The Pnocis territory hasn't changed a bit since I visited at five years old. It remains a tranquil countryside, so lush and green that it almost feels even more vibrant than I remembered.
Here, we will live quietly until news arrives from the Royal Capital.
Carrying uncertainty for what lies ahead, along with a small ray of hope.




Post a Comment