Chapter 14: Ike and Glenn
Five days remained until the end of the dungeon exam.
"Is that so? The cause is unknown...? Understood. I will have the Knight Order investigate up to the ninth floor just in case."
Returning to the academy earlier than the other classes, I reported to Duke Regan that there were no abnormalities in the dungeon.
I wanted to dive for longer, but our food supplies were running low, and there was one other reason for our return.
That other reason was this:
"Even so, Karen, that was magnificent. To think you would break the record set by Crimson Lotus, a record I thought would never be broken. And without borrowing Sasha's help at all."
It was to return early and prove we had beaten Crimson Lotus's record.
Halfway through, Karen had suggested to Sasha that we stay in the dungeon as long as possible and just ask the Knight Order to share their food. However, Sasha rejected the idea. She chose to return.
According to Sasha, being the second daughter of the Fressbald Duke house comes with various strings attached. It wasn't just the Fressbald family; Duke Regan and other higher-ups had high expectations for Karen as well.
Therefore, she wanted to give Karen the badge of honor of having cleared the Arahan Dungeon’s Middle Boss Room faster than anyone in Lister National academy history—a visible, tangible result.
Being the daughter of a high-ranking noble is tough...
Just as I was thinking that, Duke Regan called me by name.
"Mars, please finish moving into the new dormitory before your roommates return."
Life with Gon and the others had been fun, so parting ways was lonely, but it couldn't be helped.
"There is one more thing. Mars, starting today, you are to wear this uniform. Four sets have also been delivered to your new room."
What was handed to me was the uniform with the red embroidery of S-Class.
"Understood. What should I do with the uniform I am currently wearing?"
"Please dispose of it yourself. In the future, please ensure you absolutely do not wear the E-Class uniform."
Dispose of it, huh... It felt like a waste, but if I couldn't wear it, I guess there was no choice.
"Finally, one last thing. The S-Class Ranking Battle will be held on February 30th."
Duke Regan lowered her gaze to the documents in her hand and began other work, so we left the Headmaster's office.
It was a bit early for lunch, but we headed to the cafeteria building.
Since I was permitted to eat on the third floor starting today, the members who dove into the dungeon together gathered around a table.
"Hey? Do you guys always eat meals like that?"
Karen, seeing the meals Clarice, Misha, and I were eating, asked while hiding her mouth with a napkin.
By the way, there was nothing but meat in front of Ellie, but Clarice was on standby, ready to make sure she ate her vegetables.
"We are dedicated to building our bodies. We supplement any missing nutrients with breakfast and dinner."
"Even though you are mages, you really are thorough..."
Karen looked exasperated.
That's right. There was something I wanted to tell everyone.
"I have a favor to ask everyone. I want you to treat me as a vanguard who uses Fire Magic. I'm not very good at standing out in public..."
"I don't mind, but trying not to stand out is absolutely impossible."
For some reason, Sasha said this with brimming confidence.
Well, since I would be acting together with Clarice and Ellie constantly from now on, I guess she was right.
But hiding the fact that I was a mage would be a good enough result... or so I thought, until Misha asked everyone with sparkling eyes.
"Hey! Let's do the promotion celebration for Mars that we couldn't do before! Let's combine it with the dungeon exam after-party!"
Come to think of it, she did say something like that.
"I don't really mind, but..."
"Then, let's meet in front of the first-year academy building at five o'clock!"
Seeing her rejoice like a child made everyone's expressions soften. Then, Karen spoke up, fidgeting slightly.
"Before that, there is something I want to say... I missed the chance to say it earlier, but... um... th-thank you."
"""Hmm?"""
Not understanding what she meant, the rest of us looked at each other.
Does she mean when I saved her during the dungeon exam?
"A-Anyway, I properly thanked you, okay?! Also, stop using honorifics with me. Speaking formally is also prohibited! Understood?! Dismissed!"
After watching Karen walk away briskly, we headed to our respective rooms.
After parting with everyone, I immediately carried my luggage into the newly prepared room on the sixth floor.
The size of the room was more than five times—maybe even ten times—larger than the room I lived in with Gon and the others.
I could place various equipment here. I created training equipment with Earth Magic and immediately started lifting weights.
Yeah. With this, I can put more load on my body than before.
Thirty minutes until the promised time. It was still early, but I left the student dormitory with time to spare. Everyone was already waiting in front of the boys' dormitory.
Normally, if Clarice and the others were here, it would cause a panic, but the other first-years were away for the dungeon exam.
The only ones who seemed to be around were Baron and Dominic, who were being worked to the bone by Cyrus, but they were nowhere to be seen.
"Sorry. I was just about to head to the academy building..."
"No, it's fine. Ellie and I finished our laundry and cleaning and ran out of things to do, so we just came a little early."
As expected of Clarice. Ellie probably helped reluctantly after Clarice nagged her about it.
The scene floated in my mind, and I couldn't help but grin.
"I-I was just waiting here incidentally after escorting Baron and Dominic back, since they were thoroughly worked over by Cyrus-sensei."
"Yes, yes. Let's just go with that~ I stopped by after asking Mom to train me in Wind Magic, and since these three were already waiting for Mars to come out, I came here too."
In the end, it meant everyone came because they had nothing else to do.
"Then, it's a bit early, but shall we go?"
However, heading straight south was a mistake.
The first-years were absent, but the second-years and above were present.
By the time we passed near the second and third-year boys' dormitories, we were surrounded by a large crowd of male students as we walked toward the main gate in a line.
Just as we were about to pass the fourth-year boys' dormitory, he appeared.
He leaped over the male students swarming around us... around Clarice and the others... and with a refreshing smile, suddenly hugged me.
"Mars! I wanted to see you!"
The sudden event made not just us, but the male students gasp.
He was taller than me and stylish. His vivid red hair gave off an impression of passion and cleanliness. His eyes, lit with a red sense of justice, looked straight at me, and his face, which retained just a hint of boyishness, overflowed with confidence.
The moment we recognized that person, I was surprised by the difference in how Clarice, Misha, and I addressed him.
"Ike-nii!"
"Onii-sama!"
"Glenn?!"
Eh? Glenn? What does that mean?
But Karen and Misha's reactions were bigger than mine.
"Ike-nii?! Brother... don't tell me?!"
"Onii-sama?! Now that you mention it, they do resemble each other somewhat..."
Ignoring our reactions, Ike lightly hugged Clarice and Ellie next.
"Clarice, Ellie. You've grown up... That uniform color isn't the general class, so you're S-Class!"
"W-Wait a minute? You three are siblings?"
It seemed even Sasha didn't know.
"Yes. That is correct, but... Ike-nii? Did you perhaps change your name or something?"
"A-Ah... You mean about being called Glenn? It's a long story... Anyway, it's crowded here, so why don't we change locations?"
The male students around us started buzzing, saying all sorts of things.
"The silver-haired girl is already head over heels for Glenn... It's hopeless."
"Glenn, dropping two girls at once... As expected, he's cool."
"But don't give up, we still have the Elf girl left."
This atmosphere was certainly unbearable.
"You're right. I wanted to talk slowly with Ike-nii too, so if it's alright, how about we have dinner together? Is that okay with everyone?"
Since no one objected, the seven of us, including Ike, headed out into the city of Regan.
Walking a short distance on the stone-paved streets illuminated by magic stone lamps, Ike entered a certain shop without hesitation.
When he opened the door, soft lighting wrapped the space, and the warm color tones caught the eye.
The layout inside was sophisticated, with an atmosphere that somewhat reminded me of the mansion in Almeria.
"This is my favorite shop. I only come here when a big quest is successful or for special occasions."
We were guided to a private room. As usual, Clarice sat to my right, Ellie to my left, and Ike sat opposite me, flanked by Karen and Misha. Once Sasha took the seat of honor, Ike immediately began his introduction.
"Nice to meet you. I am Ike Bryant. Mars's older brother and the leader of Crimson Lotus. Pleased to meet you."
Following Ike, Karen and the others introduced themselves, and we clinked glasses.
By the way, there was alcohol involved.
I had drunk a few times back in Almeria for birthdays and such, and apparently, I have a high tolerance.
Clarice was reasonably strong too, and we could sober up using the Holy Magic spell 《Cure》.
Ellie was stronger than us and claimed she had never been drunk.
However, the common thread among the three of us was that we didn't particularly like it.
As for me, since it wasn't very good for muscles, I usually tried to avoid it, but today was an exception.
With the signal for a toast, everyone brought their glasses to their lips, and Misha immediately went full throttle.
"Does Glenn have someone he likes? Clarice? Ellie?"
Misha's glass was already empty. Her face was also slightly flushed red.
Did she just chug that?
Clarice also wore an anxious expression.
Seeing that, Sasha moved between Clarice and me and whispered in my ear.
(It's okay. There's no alcohol in what that child is drinking.)
Eh? Don't tell me she got drunk just on the atmosphere?
As expected of a mother.
"Ah. I love both Clarice and Ellie. I think my feelings are definitely stronger than the feelings of those guys around there who like them, but I love Mars even more than that. I will absolutely never do anything that would make Mars hate me. Well, even if I seriously tried to steal Clarice and the others, Mars would beat me back, and Clarice and the others wouldn't give me the time of day. That's how attracted those three are to each other. No one else could possibly come between them."
It was probably just lip service, but he said things that made me happy.
Even Ellie showed her gums in a smile, but for some reason, Misha looked depressed.
Ike continued, answering the earlier question.
"Mars, you're surprised that I'm called Glenn, right? I forgot when exactly people started calling me that, but it became too much of a hassle to deny it every single time, so I left it alone, and now it's come to this."
"I understand. Denying rumors one by one is truly a hassle."
Karen agreed while sipping her bright red drink.
"So? I have a question too. Why have only you guys returned? Isn't the dungeon exam still ongoing?"
Emptying his glass and ordering a refill, Ike asked.
"Actually..."
When I reported the inexplicable events that occurred during the dungeon exam and the fact that we still cleared the Middle Boss Room in the fastest time, he clapped his hands in delight.
"As expected of Mars, the man who is my goal! Thinking that I can spend time with Mars from now on makes me excited!"
Ike's eyes sparkled like a boy's.
"Eh? Is Mars stronger than Glenn?"
It wasn't just Karen who was surprised; Sasha was too.
"Stronger than Glenn, who is said to be one of the greatest masterpieces in the history of Lister National academy?!"
"Naturally. At eight years old, Mars was already Threat Level A..."
"I-Ike-nii! Why don't we talk about you today? We can talk about me anytime."
That was close. I need to make sure to silence him later regarding the Queen Ant Arlin incident too.
"Then, Glenn. Is it alright if I appraise you?"
Karen's strong-willed eyes had gradually turned drowsy, perhaps due to intoxication.
"Yeah. I don't mind."
Following Karen, I also appraised Ike.
[Name] Ike Bryant
[Title] —
[Status] Human / Bryant Count Family Eldest Son
[Condition] Good
[Age] 15
[Level] 35 (+8)
[HP] 225/225
[MP] 1484/1484
[Strength] 141 (+38) [Agility] 108 (+31)
[Magic] 79 (+24) [Dexterity] 64 (+20)
[Endurance] 130 (+34) [Luck] 10
[Special Ability] Swordsmanship C (Lv 8/15) (6→8)
[Special Ability] Spearmanship B (Lv 13/17) (9→13)
[Special Ability] Fire Magic C (Lv 10/15) (7→10)
[Special Ability] Wind Magic G (Lv 1/5) (NEW)
[Equipment] Flame Lance
[Equipment] Mithril Silver Sword
[Equipment] Fire Phantom Beast Efreet Robe
[Equipment] Bracelet of Fire
[Equipment] Ring of Protection
"W-What? This MP amount?! For a vanguard's stats, this is clearly abnormal... And Spearmanship Level 13 with Fire Magic Level 10... His Swordsmanship is Dominic level too. There are no flaws."
Misha and Sasha's eyes went wide when they heard the appraisal results from Karen.
This was certainly amazing. He had properly trained his Dexterity, which was hard to raise, and he had learned Wind Magic too.
"No, compared to Mars, I'm still lacking. At best, I'm about even with Clarice, aren't I?"
Everyone's gaze gathered on Clarice, who was leaning on my shoulder.
"Eh? Me? There's no way I can beat Onii-sama, right?"
She was being humble, but that wasn't true.
[Name] Clarice Lampard
[Title] Saintess
[Status] Human / Lampard Baron Family Eldest Daughter
[Condition] Good
[Age] 12
[Level] 35 (+1)
[HP] 180/180
[MP] 1958/1958
[Strength] 90 (+4) [Agility] 94 (+4)
[Magic] 123 (+5) [Dexterity] 137 (+8)
[Endurance] 76 (+3) [Luck] 20
[Unique Ability] Barrier Magic G (Lv 1/5)
[Special Ability] Swordsmanship C (Lv 8/15)
[Special Ability] Archery B (Lv 11/17) (10→11)
[Special Ability] Water Magic C (Lv 6/15)
[Special Ability] Wind Magic G (Lv 2/5)
[Special Ability] Holy Magic A (Lv 11/19)
[Equipment] Defender
[Equipment] Magic Arrow
[Equipment] Saint Robe
[Equipment] Mysterious Anklet
[Equipment] Hairpin of Vowed Love
[Equipment] Bracelet of Disguise
[Equipment] Snow Ice Necklace
Their stats were almost even. Moreover, Clarice had luxurious equipment.
If she could keep her distance, she might be able to bridge the gap in experience and win.
By the way, Ellie was like this:
[Name] Ellie Leo
[Title] —
[Status] Beastman / Leo Baronet Family Head
[Condition] Good
[Age] 12
[Level] 30 (+1)
[HP] 209/209
[MP] 72/72
[Strength] 100 (+6) [Agility] 127 (+8)
[Magic] 25 (+1) [Dexterity] 71 (+4)
[Endurance] 78 (+4) [Luck] 10
[Unique Ability] Sound Magic G (Lv 1/5)
[Special Ability] Dagger Arts C (Lv 7/15)
[Special Ability] Martial Arts A (Lv 10/19)
[Special Ability] Wind Magic F (Lv 2/8)
By the way, my eyes could see her equipment clearly too, but since it hadn't changed from a few months ago, I'll omit it. Please assume that if the equipment hasn't changed in the future, that's the case.
Please don't get the wrong idea and suspect anything weird.
Ellie's true ability, which demonstrated power beyond her stats in close combat, would likely surpass that of any average C-Rank adventurer.
Perhaps tired, Ellie was showing a cute sleeping face on my lap.
"Well then, shall we call it a night soon?"
It was just before 19:00. We had been in the shop for a little over an hour.
Sasha had only drunk the first glass and kept to non-alcoholic drinks after that.
Seeing Misha—the only one who hadn't drunk a single drop of alcohol—slumped over the table with a bright red face as if she had drunk more than anyone, Sasha probably couldn't stay calm.
After watching Sasha carry Misha on her back and lead Karen toward the girls' dormitory, the remaining four of us—Clarice, Ellie, Ike, and I—decided to talk.
Ellie woke up once we were outside, but right now she was on my back.
Apparently, she was envious of Karen being carried by Sasha.
"Mars, Ellie, can you confirm that there's no one nearby?"
After confirming no one was near with my 《Search》 and Ellie's detection, Ike spoke carefully, as if to calm his drunkenness.
"Have you received Duke Regan's baptism?"
"Baptism? What are you talking about?"
Clarice also showed an expression of anxiety at Ike's words.
"Good. Not yet then. Duke Regan possesses a ridiculous Magic Eye called the Charm Eye. It's the power to freely control the opposite sex. Once controlled, you're done for; you'll be asked various things and answer helplessly. That's why, if you meet Duke Regan, take this ring..."
"Ah, apparently my constitution makes me immune to the Charm Eye..."
When I told Ike—who was trying to take off his ring—that appraisal by Magic Eyes didn't work on me, and that even the Charm Eye of Duke Regan, who had higher magic power than me, didn't work, he smiled despite his surprise.
"As expected of Mars! You really are outside the norm."
What he tried to give me was an item called the Ring of Protection. I was curious about what it was, so I appraised it.
[Name] Ring of Protection
[Special] —
[Value] C
[Details] Status Ailment Resistance UP
He probably wanted me to equip this so that even if I was subjected to Duke Regan's Charm Eye, the secret of Holy Magic wouldn't be exposed. He really was the best brother, as always.
Ike's advice continued.
"Mars. Do you intend to form a party?"
"Yes. I've heard that Clarice and the others would be troubled by solicitations, so eventually."
"I see. Then you should absolutely adhere to this. A party can be formed with up to six people, but form one with five rather than six."
Hmm? Forming a group of six is definitely safer. There shouldn't be any merit in keeping it to five, right?
"Certainly, the merits of a six-person group are large. However, influential parties form with five members. The reason is to keep a spot open so a Holy Mage can join at any time. If an influential party is formed with six people, it's assumed that there is definitely a Holy Mage among them."
I see. If we formed a group of six, people might suspect that one of us was a Holy Mage.
But that was limited to influential parties, right? If we kept a low profile... with Clarice and Ellie, that was impossible. If anything, we stood out more than most influential parties.
"One last thing. Could you tell me Mars's current stats? I want to know how close I've gotten, or perhaps how far away I've fallen."
I hesitated whether to declare them honestly, but since Ike asked, I decided to tell him.
I wouldn't mention Heavenly Gift and Heavenly Eye, though.
[Name] Mars Bryant
[Title] Thunder God / Wind King / Goblin Slayer
[Status] Human / Bryant Count Family Second Son
[Condition] Good
[Age] 12
[Level] 29 (+2)
[HP] 207/207
[MP] 7522/10305
[Strength] 131 (+9) [Agility] 139 (+10)
[Magic] 186 (+8) [Dexterity] 166 (+10)
[Endurance] 130 (+12) [Luck] 30
[Unique Ability] Heavenly Gift (Lv MAX)
[Unique Ability] Heavenly Eye (Lv 10)
[Unique Ability] Lightning Magic S (Lv 6/20)
[Special Ability] Swordsmanship B (Lv 12/17) (11→12)
[Special Ability] Taijustu G (Lv 2/5)
[Special Ability] Fire Magic F (Lv 7/8)
[Special Ability] Water Magic F (Lv 5/8)
[Special Ability] Earth Magic F (Lv 7/8)
[Special Ability] Wind Magic A (Lv 16/19)
[Special Ability] Holy Magic C (Lv 8/15)
"A-As always, it's ridiculous... Not only are all stats over 100, but all Four Great Magics are Level 5 or higher..."
Because I defeated a Golem and ran around the sixth floor of the Arahan Dungeon alone, I had more opportunities to defeat enemies than Clarice and Ellie, so my level went up by two.
I also felt like I was about to grasp something regarding Fire Magic soon.
Promising to meet again, I parted ways with Ike, escorted Clarice and the others to the front of the girls' dormitory, and then returned to my empty rooDa
—The Next Day.
"Yay! I'm able to keep up pretty well now!"
Misha was making noise on my back.
And rightfully so. Misha had defeated quite a few monsters in this dungeon exam. Since her level was low to begin with, it must have shot up, and her stamina likely increased as well.
[Name] Misha Febrant
[Title] —
[Status] Elf / Febrant Baronet Family Eldest Daughter
[Condition] Good
[Age] 12
[Level] 18 (+4)
[HP] 90/90
[MP] 258/258
[Strength] 44 (+8) [Agility] 52 (+9)
[Magic] 58 (+8) [Dexterity] 60 (+10)
[Endurance] 34 (+8) [Luck] 10
[Special Ability] Spearmanship B (Lv 5/17) (4→5)
[Special Ability] Water Magic C (Lv 4/15)
[Special Ability] Wind Magic C (Lv 5/15)
Misha's stats were reminiscent of the old Clarice.
In addition to that, Misha's strength was that she was hard for monsters to detect.
Even though she was usually noisy enough to be located even with ears plugged, her ability to erase her presence when facing an enemy was truly a talent.
"That's right, You've become able to keep up quite well. Your 'Runaway Magic' was in good form too. The direction you fly in has become somewhat fixed."
I think she knows, but "Runaway Magic" refers to hitting herself with 《Wind》 to send herself flying.
"Yup! At first I was so scared I wet myself a little, but now that doesn't happen anymore."
Hmm? Does that mean she still wets herself sometimes? Me, carrying the Misha who wet herself on my back almost every day... No way. That was just a figure of speech just now, right?
Today was muscle training day, so I parted with everyone and tormented my body with the newly made equipment.
After finishing my usual routine, I headed to the cafeteria, but the first-years hadn't returned yet.
I ate a lonely meal by myself, then attended academy as an S-Class student for the first time.




Post a Comment