Chapter 7: Party
"Hey? Have you decided on your party for the Dungeon Exam, Mars?"
After academy, while I was training sword skills with Clarice in a relatively large gymnasium among the many available, she asked me abruptly.
By the way, Ellie and Misha were also training close-quarters combat together, and since students from other grades were using the facility too, it was quite crowded.
"Party? Haven't decided yet. Have you guys decided?"
"Yes. Since it's in three days, we decided to just set it. In our case, there's only one team we can make, so it was more about deciding roles."
The Dungeon Exam is in three days? The transmission speed of information really differs by class. When do the other classes hear about this? I should ask if I make friends with guys from other classes.
"Just for reference, how did the roles turn out?"
"Hmm ....Vanguard is Ellie and Dominic, and Rearguard is Lady Karen, while Misha, Baron, and I are the middle guard."
I understand Clarice and Misha being middle guard, but Baron too? Well, a Hero feels like an all-rounder. Being a middle guard makes sense.
"So, about that. I heard something a bit strange from the teacher then... Apparently, our S-Class party is the only one composed of six first-years. The other classes form parties of five, and the remaining slot is filled by a teacher or an upperclassman. But your class has twenty-one students, right, Mars? If you make four parties, one person will be left over, right? I felt like that one person might be you, so I asked..."
"I'm hearing that for the first time now, but yeah, the one left over would definitely be me, the lowest-ranked."
No matter how much I establish my position within the class, until I take the exam, I am the lowest rank. Ellie and Misha seemed to have the same thought, showing worried expressions.
"Well, assuming that can't be helped, if parties are formed with five people, an upperclassman joins? Does that mean Ike-nii might be slotted in somewhere?"
I went looking for Ike after entering Lister National academy, but I heard that fourth-years increasingly take quests within the Lister Federation and go off-campus. Judging from Duke Regan's tone when I met him, Ike seems to be doing well, so I'm not worried, but I want to meet him soon.
"Come to think of it, Duke Regan mentioned it too when we met about Mars having an older brother. What kind of person is he?"
Interest piqued, Misha joined the conversation.
"Ah, he's a fourth-year student this year named Ike. He was quite strong, so I think he's S-Class."
"If he's Mars's brother, of course he's strong. But it's impossible to take first place in the fourth year. Glenn is there, after all."
As expected, Misha knows about Glenn too.
"Apparently he's considerably strong. Duke Regan and Cyrus-sensei said so too. But Brother Ike is not just strong; he's a well-rounded person, so he's my goal."
"Heh….If he makes Mars say that much, I'd like to meet him."
"Right, I'll look for him to see if he's been placed in another party during the Dungeon Exam. Clarice and Ellie, let me know if you see Ike-nii too."
"Understood. I want to talk to my Brother-in-law for the first time in a while too."
"...Yeah... Will search..."
Just as I secured their cooperation, a man entered the gymnasium.
"Clarice, Ellie, and isn't that Misha? Why are you here? Are the three of you participating too?"
A long-haired man brushed his hair back as he asked the three. It was Dominic from S-Class. If I recall, this guy was also called a Sword Saint.
"Participating? I don't know what you're talking about, but I'm having this person teach me swordsmanship. Right? Mars."
Clarice placed her wooden sword down and linked arms with me as if to show off to Dominic. Thanks to that, my right arm was overjoyed.
Seeing that, Ellie refused to be outdone and took my left arm, and Misha hid behind my back. I felt killing intent from the surrounding male students.
The same went for Dominic in front of me.
"What are you, you bastard? Putting your hands on the girls of our class."
Dominic's attitude was high-handed. Maybe he's taking that attitude even more because I'm E-Class.
"Nice to meet you, I am Mars. Clarice and Ellie are my fiancées. Misha is a precious friend."
It's better to clearly demonstrate my relationship with the three to guys like this.
"Fiancées!? A Colorless like you with S-Class girls? That is unforgivable just because you have a somewhat decent face. It's a perfect opportunity, so I'll strip off your plating and wake them up. Pick up a sword."
Dominic readied his sword without waiting for an answer.
I came to this gym for the first time today, but Dominic asked if we were here to participate earlier. He probably gathers people daily, or periodically, for mock battles to polish his skills. The number of participants and spectators might increase.
Standing out in class is unavoidable, but I'm reluctant to fight in front of this many people.
As I hesitated whether to accept Dominic's challenge, his provocation continued.
"What? Did you get cold feet after being told this much? Clarice, abandon a guy like this and come to me."
As expected, the one who snapped at Dominic's provocation was Ellie.
"...Him... Unforgivable... Kill..."
Ellie's expression, which had been calm until a moment ago, underwent a complete change.
"Yup! I've come to hate Dominic too!"
Misha readied her spear... but here, Clarice restrained the two.
"Dominic, I will not forgive you for insulting Mars any further. As Mars's number one disciple, I will be your opponent. If you want to fight Mars, do it after you beat me."
The surrounding students, who had been watching the situation, stirred at her unexpected remark.
"What are you saying, Clarice? You watch the matches between Baron and me almost every day, don't you? I am the best swordsman in S-Class. By extension, the strongest swordsman in the first year. People gather like this because there are no opponents for me among the first years. Surely a clever girl like you understands?"
Does that mean if they fought only with swords, Dominic is stronger than Baron?
"Oh? Did you get cold feet, afraid of losing to a woman like me?"
I've never seen Clarice this furious before.
"Kuh! If you insist, then fine! However, if I win, become the woman of this Sword Saint Dominic!"
Dominic spouted something outrageous. I can't agree to that.
"That's unacceptable! If you beat Clarice, I will be your opponent. If I lose, I'll do whatever you say, but unless it's their will, I won't put Clarice, Ellie, or Misha on the betting table!"
In this world, it might be common sense that the winner gets the woman or can do whatever they want, but I have no intention of being bound by such common sense.
"...Well, fine! That was my objective in the first place!"
As Dominic readied his wooden sword, Clarice picked up the one she had set down.
If Dominic is stronger than Clarice, there's a possibility Clarice could get hurt. To prevent that, Appraising Dominic is essential. Call it cowardly, but Clarice's safety comes first.
I Appraised Dominic, who was facing Clarice with a confident smirk.
[Name] Dominic Augus
[Title] -
[Status] Human / Head of Augus Baronet Family
[Condition] Good
[Age] 11
[Level] 22
[HP] 135/135
[MP] 58/58
[Strength] 55 [Agility] 55
[Magic] 24 [Dexterity] 29
[Endurance] 50 [Luck] 5
[Special Ability] Swordsmanship B (Lv 8/17)
[Special Ability] Wind Magic E (Lv 2/11)
[Equipment] Sword of the Gale
Dominic showed no sign of noticing my Appraisal.
As expected of someone called a Sword Saint, his Swordsmanship talent value is B, same as mine, and he can use Wind Magic. In terms of adventurers, he's about D-Rank class.
With this, Clarice won't lose. I can watch with peace of mind.
Dominic, unaware of this, acted smug toward Clarice.
"Hoh….You seem pretty capable…Clarice, but...you will come to regret standing before me!"
When their wooden swords crossed, Dominic's sword flew into the air.
"———Wh-!?"
At the unexpected event, all students except Ellie and I gasped. Misha also opened her eyes wide, perhaps not knowing Clarice's strength.
"Master Sword Saint? No need to hold back. Please come at me seriously."
Clarice further provoked the dumbfounded Dominic, whose sword had been deflected. Normally, the match would be over here, but Clarice's anger hadn't subsided yet.
"I just let my guard down! Next time, I'm going for real!"
Gripping his sword again, Dominic leaped at Clarice with a demonic expression.
They exchanged blows a few times, but again his sword was deflected, and a powerful strike was driven into Dominic's stomach.
"Guhah!?"
As he crouched holding his stomach from the impact, the finishing words pierced him.
"Master Sword Saint? I am being taught swordsmanship by a real Sword Saint. If you call yourself a Sword Saint, unless you can at least beat me, a mere archer, I pity the name Sword Saint."
Looking down at him, Dominic bit his lip, unable to retort.
Who is the real Sword Saint she's talking about? Not me, right?
He must be humiliated to be shamed in front of a crowd, but these are the seeds Dominic sowed. The students were also intoxicated by Clarice's overwhelming strength.
"That was cute!"
"Have a match with me next!"
"Teach me things too!"
...They are intoxicated by her strength, right?
"Sorry! I went a little overboard! Let's go!"
We left the gymnasium as if running away.
"I didn't know Clarice was that strong at swordsmanship too!? Isn't she number one in close combat!?"
Clarice denied the still-excited Misha's claim.
"That's not true. In close combat, I can't beat Ellie."
"Eh!? Ellie-rin is even stronger!?"
Misha was surprised for some reason.
"Don't you cross weapons with Clarice and Ellie during martial arts class, Misha?"
I thought it was natural since they are in the same class, but an S-Class answer came back.
"I can't use a sword, right? So I get one-on-one instruction with a spear instructor. I'm alone for martial arts class. Not just me, but Lady Karen also has classes focused on basic physical strength and gets taught one-on-one."
Our E-Class martial arts classes are taught by the same teacher whether we are swordsmen or spearmen, but S-Class gets teachers suited to their aptitudes.
"Do Clarice and Ellie spar with Baron and Dominic?"
"We don't. Just by watching vaguely, I knew about how strong they were, so I thought training with Ellie would be better for me. Baron and Dominic tell us they'll teach us swordsmanship at every opportunity, but we turned them down saying we're fine."
They were being hit on after all. Well, they probably won't approach Clarice with the excuse of teaching swordsmanship anymore, so that's a bit of a relief.
"Hey, can I ask? Can I become strong like Clarice and Ellie-rin too?"
Misha, who had been listening, asked.
"Yeah. Watching your spear handling, Misha, I sense talent, so you can definitely become strong."
What I said isn't just to comfort her. Misha possesses rare talent and motivation.
When I declared it with confidence, Misha's eyes sparkled.
"Thank you! Then after having Mars carry me in the marathon, I have to train spear skills too!"
It seems me carrying her after the marathon has become a prerequisite. Well, until she builds up stamina, it can't be helped. It's good training for me to run carrying Misha, and talking with her is fun, so it's killing two birds with one stone.
Promising to meet at morning training tomorrow, we returned to the dorms.
The next morning.
"Alright! Today we'll decide parties for the Dungeon Exam! First, form parties of five! You can group however you like, but the teachers will balance things at the end, so keep that in mind!"
As the teacher finished speaking, E-Class students gathered around my desk all at once.
"Mars! Let's group up!"
"No, it should be us!"
"Mars-kun. How about with us? Four girls, you know?"
Wow, being popular is tough.
As I excitedly thought about who to group with...
"I forgot to mention, since E-Class has twenty-one students, Mars, being the lowest rank, will pair with someone else. Do not join any party."
I expected it, you know? Clarice told me too. But couldn't you let me enjoy being popular a little longer?
Then, a menacing voice called my name.
"Oi! Mars! You're teaming up with me!"
As everyone realized, Cyrus entered the classroom with a scowl as usual.
You like me too much, don't you!?
Beating me up every day, and even following me to the dungeon.
The crowd that had formed around my desk receded like the tide.
"Haa... I kind of expected it, so that's fine, but who are the other four?"
I guessed Sasha might be with us, but Cyrus uttered the three words of despair.
"It's a duo."
"Duo!? Come on..."
..................
............
...
"Eh!? Wait, really a duo!?"
The punchline never came, so I anxiously asked my homeroom teacher.
"Ah. We received a direct request from Duke Regan for Mars to be with Cyrus-san alone."
Oh my god. I said being popular is tough, but I never thought it would be this tough.
"Oi! My party with Mars is decided, so I'm taking him to swordsmanship class as is!"
When Cyrus spoke to the homeroom teacher, the teacher, perhaps wanting Cyrus to leave quickly too, said, "Do as you please," selling me to Cyrus like a tribute.
Damn it... I'll definitely beat you someday!
Swearing that in my heart, I was beaten to a pulp by Cyrus again today.
———After academy
"Ouch, ouch, ouch..."
Clarice treated the spots where Cyrus beat me up. Of course, since we can't use Holy Magic inside the academy after hours, it was just re-wrapping bandages, but I feel like my injuries heal faster when Clarice wraps them.
Actually, I cast Heal once I'm back in the dorm and alone.
"Lately, haven't the injuries been getting worse?" Clarice asked worriedly.
"Well, it's true he stopped holding back."
I kind of understand the reason for this. He probably lost the leeway to hold back.
Until now, I was only defending, desperate just to survive, but I've started to have turns where I attack a little. And the amount of sweat Cyrus sheds after mock battles has increased; although he doesn't show it on his face, he might be more tired than me.
The results of morning training are steadily showing. I can tell I'm getting stronger.
"By the way, as expected, the Dungeon Exam is just me alone—or rather, a duo. And the partner is Cyrus-sensei."
Everyone smiled wryly at this, but...
"Personally, I'm glad Mars is alone with Cyrus-sensei. If you were paired with female students, I'd get worried after all."
"...Unfair... Cyrus... But relieved..."
"That's right! Just think of it as Mars not attracting any bad bugs!"
It seems everyone is generally in agreement.
"By the way, Clarice. Shouldn't you tell Mars about that?"
Misha directed the conversation to Clarice. That? I'm curious.
"Ah, yeah... You know how there was that stuff with Dominic yesterday? Upperclassmen who saw that invited me to join their parties..."
Since she thoroughly beat Dominic, who was thought to be the strongest swordsman in the first year, invitations would come.
However, Misha didn't seem to think so.
"Those upperclassmen definitely have ulterior motives toward Clarice. Because the way they looked at her was sleazy."
"Don't say weird things. That's not true."
Clarice denied it, but Misha is probably right.
"Clarice, Even if I made a party now, guys like Dominic yesterday might pick fights because they can't forgive a Colorless like me being in the same party as S-Class Clarice and the others. I'll work hard to rise to A-Class or B-Class, even if not S-Class, so can you believe in me and wait until then?"
Suddenly becoming S-Class would stand out, so I have to do this carefully, little by little.
"Understood, I'll be waiting, so do your best."
Clarice smiled while looking into my face.
I can't betray her expectations. Determined, I went to the gymnasium to sweat again today.




Post a Comment