NWQA9y4fvqTQ9rz5lZU0Ky7avuunQd0OpkNmfOuq
Bookmark
📣 IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THE ADS ON THIS WEB, YOU CAN JUST USE AD-BLOCK, NO NEED TO YAPPING ON DISCORD LIKE SOMEONE, SIMPLE. | JIKA KALIAN TIDAK NYAMAN DENGAN IKLAN YANG ADA DIDALAM WEB INI, KALIAN BISA MEMAKAI AD-BLOCK AJA, GAK USAH YAPPING DI DISCORD KAYAK SESEORANG, SIMPLE. ⚠️

[ENG] I Got Kissed by the Junior I Hate Volume 1 Chapter 2

Chapter 2



Hanamori was unusually quiet in the passenger seat of the company car that day.

“Hanamori-san, are you okay?”

Today was Hanamori’s very first solo client appointment. Although I was tagging along to supervise, she was supposed to handle the pitch herself.

“I’m fine. Just normal.”

Her response was blunt, but I noticed how tightly she was gripping her smartphone.

“If you’re nervous, I can open the meeting and hand it over to you halfway through.”

“I’m fine. I can handle it on my own.”

She’s completely putting on a brave face.

Well, arguing wouldn't get anywhere, so I decided to drop it.


***


Inside the client’s conference room.

Across the table sat a stern man in his fifties with a sour expression, flanked by a sharp-eyed woman. The moment we stepped into the room, the tension was palpable.

“Allow us to walk you through our proposal today. Hanamori-san will present the details.”

At my cue, Hanamori opened the presentation document. I caught a slight tremble in her hands.

“U-Um... regarding our proposal for today... if you turn to this page—ah, I’m sorry, that’s the wrong page...”

Fumbling right out of the gate. The man overtly knit his brows in disapproval.

“And? What concrete benefits does this offer us?”

“Well... um... regarding costs...”

“Costs? How much of a reduction are we looking at? Give me actual figures.”

He pressed without giving her room to breathe. Caught off guard by the aggressive questioning, Hanamori turned pale.

“A-About... ten...”

“Roughly ten percent? That doesn’t sound like much cost-performance to me.”

The woman chimed in with a frosty tone.

“Besides, how is this proposal any different from the idea we rejected in our last meeting? Feels like you’re just rehashing the same pitch.”

“N-No, um... th-that’s not...”

Hanamori’s voice faltered into a whisper. Her throat seemed to choke up, preventing any words from coming out.

A heavy, stifling silence fell over the conference room.

This is bad. They’re going to tear her apart at this rate. Guess I have to step in...

“Pardon me, allow me to add a quick clarification.”

I smoothly cut into the conversation.

“This proposed plan delivers both cost reduction and quality enhancement simultaneously. While cutting annual operational expenses by thirty percent, standardization and automation will reduce defect rates by forty percent.”

“Thirty percent... Are you sure?”

The man’s sharp glare softened into interest.

“We have already proven these results through a trial run in Department A.”

“...Now that is interesting.”

The woman looked down at the document. The tension in the room perceptibly shifted.

“I see. So, what does the implementation timeline look like?”

“Hanamori-san will walk you through the schedule.”

The man leaned forward. When I glanced over at Hanamori, she nodded calmly. The ghostly pale look on her face had softened.

“As for the schedule, initial implementation is slated for approximately three months. During the first month...”

This time, her voice was far more composed.

I listened quietly, flipping pages and presenting supplementary figures right on cue when needed.

“...And that outlines our general roadmap.”

“Alright, got it. We’ll discuss this internally and review the offer.”

The client stood up with a satisfied smile.

Great, we managed to turn it around somehow.


***


The moment we got back into the company car and Hanamori sat in the passenger seat, she stared silently out the window.

“Good work back there.”

“............”

No response.

“Hanamori-san?”

“Haa...”

A deep sigh escaped her lips. I started the engine and tried to reassure her.

“Everyone’s like that starting out. Nobody gets it right—”

“Please don’t try to console me. It just makes me feel more miserable.”

Hanamori snapped flatly.

“I know I completely messed up. It’s embarrassing that I couldn’t achieve a single thing without Asami-san cleaning up after me.”

“I never said that.”

“Even if you didn’t say it, you’re thinking it.”

...Yep, she’s in a terrible mood. Deciding it was best to keep quiet, I pulled out into traffic.


***


Later that evening, after wrapping up tomorrow’s prep work in the conference room, I was heading back to my desk when I noticed light spilling out from the Sales Department floor.

A quick glance at the clock showed it was already past nine o’clock.

Wondering who could still be here, I peeked in to find Hanamori sitting alone in front of her computer.

“Hanamori-san, you’re still here?”

“I haven’t finished Monday’s proposal deck yet.”

Her tone was icy. Still carrying a grudge, huh?

“You don’t have to finish that tonight, you know.”

“No, I am going to finish it.”

“Don’t push yourself too hard.”

“I’m not pushing myself.”

Hanamori answered without looking away from her monitor.

...She’s being stubbornly defensive. What a pain. Still, leaving her like this didn’t feel right either. I grabbed a warm cafe au lait from the vending machine near the kitchenette and placed it on her desk.

“...What is this?”

“Cafe au lait.”

“I can see that.”

Hanamori glanced at the can, but made no move to reach for it.

“Not drinking it?”

“Not really. I’m not thirsty.”

I popped open the tab on my own coffee with a small hiss and pulled up a chair beside her.

“Could you please not sit right next to me?”

“Why not?”

“I can’t concentrate with someone hovering right beside me.”

Hanamori glowered at me with an annoyed scowl.

“...You really worked hard today.”

Saying that, I opened the tab of the cafe au lait for her and held it out. Hanamori reluctantly accepted the can and took a small sip.

A period of silence lingered between us until Hanamori let out a quiet sigh and murmured under her breath.

“...I’m so useless. I really thought I had prepared properly, but when it came to the real thing, I completely fell apart.”

“That’s just how it goes when you’re starting out.”

“Were you able to pull it off right from the start, Asami-san?”

“Not at all. On my very first appointment, I was so nervous I spilled tea all over the client’s expensive suit.”

“...That sounds horrific.”

“It was horrific. I was bowing and apologizing on my knees.”

Hanamori offered a slight smile.

“I can’t believe even someone like you had a mess-up like that.”

“Of course I did. Everyone starts somewhere.”

“...You’re surprisingly sweet, Asami-san. Even though you’re usually so cold. You’re only kind at times like this.”

“What do you mean ‘only at times like this’? I’m always nice to you.”

“No, you’re cold. An absolute ice queen.”

“Where’s that coming from?”

When I burst into laughter, Hanamori let out a small chuckle too.

“Still... the way you took over today was actually kind of cool.”

“...Cool...? Stop it.”

“I mean it. That kind of smooth composure... doesn’t it feel like something Asakura-san would fall for?”

“How should I know?”

“...She’d definitely... fall for you.”

Hanamori offered a faint, strangely melancholic smile as I looked at her profile.

She’s probably just exhausted from all the overtime, I thought to myself.

“Let’s pack it in for tonight. You can finish the rest on Monday.”

“Okay.”

Hanamori began tidying up her papers.

I stood up and tossed my empty coffee can into the bin.

“Asami-san.”

“Hmm?”

“...Thank you very much.”

Hanamori spoke softly.

“Don’t mention it.”

“I am grateful. More or less.”

What’s with the ‘more or less’? She always has to add one snarky remark at the end.

Even so, the tension in Hanamori’s expression seemed to have settled into something gentle.

“...You’re welcome.”

Replying thus, I switched off the office lights.

We walked down the hallway side by side. The rhythmic sound of Hanamori’s footsteps next to mine echoed with a strangely comfortable rhythm.


***


The weekend. Saturday evening.

Holding a cheap can of beer bought with a single coin, I stood somewhere near the middle of the crowd inside the live house.

It was a concert for The Hollow Echos. The intimate venue was packed shoulder-to-shoulder, thick with stifling heat and excitement.

Part of me was secretly looking forward to the tiny chance of bumping into Hanamori. Just a tiny part, really. But the mere thought made a strange, ticklish warmth flutter in my chest.

It’s just a coincidence that we happened to be going to the same gig, anyway.

As the opening intro kicked in, my body naturally began to sway to the beat.

Hearing shizuku’s vocals live was on a completely different level from streamed tracks or recordings. The voice vibrated through the air, reverberating straight into my core.

Taking a sip of beer, I closed my eyes and tuned my ears to the music.

A gentle buzz of alcohol set in, and the mellow guitar riffs and bassline echoed softly in my mind. It felt incredible.

I truly loved moments like this.

As the first song concluded, applause erupted across the hall.

Glancing up idly on a whim—there she was.

Hanamori.

Standing near the front of the packed crowd, swaying rhythmically to the music.

She looked completely different from her usual ultra-feminine office attire. Wearing a baseball cap, an oversized hoodie draped loosely around her frame, shorts underneath, and minimal makeup—a thoroughly casual look.

...Wait, she’s actually really cute.

No, hold on. What on earth am I thinking?

Right at that moment, Hanamori turned in my direction.

Our eyes locked.

After a momentary look of surprise, her face brightened into a radiant smile, and she waved at me.

It wasn’t the calculated smile she put on at the office—it was strangely defenseless and genuine.

Reflexively, I waved back.

Hanamori let out a soft laugh and redirected her focus toward the stage.

I took another swig of beer and tried to re-engage with the performance.

Yet for some reason, the lingering image of Hanamori in the edge of my vision kept distracting me, rendering concentration impossible.

The second track started up, haruto’s guitar chord rings blasting out.

Watching Hanamori groove joyfully to the rhythm, I thought to myself: Ah, she really does love this band. Realizing that filled me with a quiet warmth.

Our eyes met again. Hanamori flashed a slightly embarrassed grin before quickly darting her gaze away.

...What is this weird feeling?

The venue grew increasingly electrified through the fourth and fifth songs. I drained my beer and let the rhythm wash over me. Yet time after time, my eyes unconsciously wandered back to Hanamori. And I could swear she was glancing back at me every now and then too.

Every time our gazes crossed, a subtle smile would pass between us.

Even the encore came to a close, bringing the concert to an end.

Thunderous applause echoed endlessly. While clapping along, I turned toward Hanamori, only to find her looking right back at me.

Our eyes met once more.

Hanamori offered a soft smile.

As if saying, That was awesome, wasn’t it?

I smiled back and gave her a small nod in return.


***


Stepping out of the venue, the cool night air felt refreshing against my flushed skin. I figured I would slip into the crowd and head home. After all, Hanamori and I weren’t so close that we’d hang out afterward. But just as I set off toward the train station with that thought in mind, someone tapped me on the shoulder.

“Asami-san, great job out there!”

Turning around, I saw Hanamori standing there, breathing slightly heavily. Did she run to catch up?

“Hey. Good gig.”

I raised a hand casually. Hanamori chuckled.

“That concert was amazing, wasn’t it?”

“Yeah. shizuku’s vocals hit completely differently live.”

“haruto’s guitar work was incredible too.”

“...Of course you’d compliment haruto.”

“What’s with that reaction?”

Hanamori gave me a light glare before bursting into a quiet giggle.

A lull fell over us.

Surrounding concertgoers streamed past us toward the station.

Hanamori looked down, nervously adjusting the brim of her cap. She seemed hesitant, as if debating something in her head.

“Well then, see you Monday.”

Just as I turned to leave, Hanamori snapped her head up.

“Um... do you want to grab a quick bite to eat?”

Her eyes were downturned, her voice timid.

It was asked with a level of restraint unimaginable from her usual self.

“Huh?”

The offer came so far out of left field that I squeaked.

“I-I mean, I won’t force you or anything... but since we bumped into each other...”

Hanamori gave a bashful smile.

That expression was entirely unlike anything she ever showed at the office.

It annoyed me to admit it, but it made my heart skip a beat.

“...Well, going straight home would feel like a waste, I guess.”

“Great, let’s go then!”

Hanamori’s features visibly brightened.

“I know a few good spots over that way.”

“Lead the way.”

Hanamori fell into step beside me as we navigated the night streets. We walked side by side all the time at work, but seeing her stripped of her corporate persona felt strangely novel.

Shimokitazawa on a Saturday night was humming with lively crowds.

“Oh, how about that place over there?”

She pointed toward a cozy little izakaya.

“Sure, let’s check it out.”

Hanamori nodded with a slightly shy grin.

An earnest, unfiltered expression she never usually showed.

Something about it warmed my heart, bringing a natural smile to my own lips.

“Asami-san.”

“Hmm?”

Without realizing it, my tone toward Hanamori had softened significantly.

“You’re buying tonight, right? Since you’re the senior and all.”

“Wait... what? You’re the one who asked me out!”

“Well, I’m just a first-year rookie! Isn’t it common courtesy for a senior employee to treat her junior?”

Hanamori declared with a beaming, shameless smile.

Where did that shy, innocent girl from two minutes ago go?! The sweet, honest version of Hanamori had vanished into thin air.

“...You know, people don’t usually demand to be treated like that.”

“If I didn’t speak up, you’d probably try to split the bill down to the cent. Come on, get inside already!”

Giggling, Hanamori pushed open the door and slid inside ahead of me.

The playful smile she shot back over her shoulder was unmistakably the usual Hanamori.

Though mildly exasperated by her nerve, I couldn’t help laughing.

Yep, Hanamori is still Hanamori.

I followed her inside, mentally calculating how many days were left until payday.

We managed to snag two vacant counter seats and prepared to order.

“Hanamori-san, you usually get Cassis Orange, right?”

“Usually, yeah, but I’ll take a beer tonight.”

“Huh? You actually drink beer?”

“Of course I do. I only order Cassis Orange because it gets me better reactions.”

“...Reactions?”

“Don’t men think a girl ordering a fruity sweet cocktail at drinking parties is cute?”

Hanamori stated matter-of-factly while wiping her hands with a damp towel.

This girl... Is she pragmatic or just terrifyingly calculated...?

I let out a dry laugh and flagged down the server to order two draft beers.

Hanamori took off her cap, fluffing up her hair with a light sigh of relief.

“Tonight’s concert was truly amazing. Man, haruto was so cool.”

“...Always haruto with you.”

While banter like that continued, our draft beers arrived, and we clinked our glasses together.

“Cheers!” “Cheers.”

We clinked our mugs and took a healthy gulp.

The ice-cold beer slid down my throat, washing away the heat of the night.

“Still, I was surprised to see you at a live show, Asami-san.”

“Yeah, I go pretty regularly. Even though I’m a total indoor homebody usually.”

“Yeah, you definitely give off major homebody vibes.”

“Nobody’s ever stated it so bluntly to my face. Though I could say the same about you, Hanamori-san. You didn’t seem like someone who’d listen to indie rock bands.”

“I didn’t used to back in the day. It’s mostly influence from an ex-boyfriend, I guess.”

“Ah, makes sense.”

That sounds exactly like Hanamori, always driven by romance, I thought.

Sitting side by side at the narrow counter placed us in close proximity. Her profile was right beside me.

I picked at the extra fried chicken and French fries we ordered, washing them down with beer.

“...So, made any progress with Asakura-san?”

The out-of-the-blue question froze my hand mid-sip. Hanamori peered at me inquisitively.

“Nope.”

“Ehh?”

“We’re not in that kind of relationship.”

“But you like her, right?”

She cut straight to the chase. Alcohol definitely made Hanamori twice as direct as usual.

“...I suppose.”

“Then you need to make a move!”

“I am... in my own way.”

“Not good enough. A gorgeous woman like her will get snatched up in a heartbeat if you don’t act aggressively.”

Hanamori slipped into a lecturing tone. She’s always so high and mighty. Seriously.

“What about you, Hanamori-san? Any progress with Tamura-san?”

“Hmm. It’s complicated. Though I’ve been laying on the charm extra thick.”

“I’ve noticed.”

“I even asked him out to lunch yesterday.”

“And?”

“He turned me down.”

Hanamori laughed it off nonchalantly.

“...Are you okay with that?”

“Totally fine. I’m not giving up.”

“You’re resilient, I’ll give you that.”

“You shouldn’t be so quick to give up either, Asami-san.”

Our second round of beers arrived.

“Asami-san, what specifically do you like about Asakura-san?”

Hanamori leaned in closer.

“Huh?”

My eyes darted around. Talking about things like this aloud felt intensely embarrassing. Besides, I wasn’t even entirely sure of my feelings yet.

“Come on, spill!”

Hanamori nudged me playfully. Resigned to my fate, I gave in.

“I guess... how composed she is. She’s great at her job. And... she’s really kind.”

“Hmm...”

“Plus, well... she just has an elegant vibe and presence.”

“So it’s her looks.”

Hanamori smirked mischievously. I hurriedly looked away.

“What about you? What do you like about Tamura-san?”

“Everything.”

“Instant answer, huh?”

“Because it’s true! He’s handsome, competent, and kind. He’s absolute perfection.”

“Riiight.”

We spent the next while chatting about all sorts of random things. Surprisingly, our conversational rhythm matched effortlessly, leaving me feeling strangely relaxed.

Hanamori’s face was flushing redder by the minute, her eyes looking a bit glazed over.

“Hanamori-san, are you drunk?”

“I’m not drunk.”

“Your face is bright red.”

“You’re red too, Asami-san.”

“I’m still fine.”

“I’m fine too.”

Hanamori stubbornly took another swig of beer. Weak lightweight putting on a front.

It was actually kind of cute.

“I think this might be my very first time drinking one-on-one with another woman.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. I don’t really have female friends.”

“Ah, you mentioned that before.”

Hanamori gave a somewhat lonely smile.

“So right now... it feels pretty fresh and nice.”

“I see.”

“It’s surprisingly fun. I wouldn’t mind gracing you with my presence for drinks again sometime.”

There she goes again acting like she’s doing me a favor... Mildly annoyed, I decided to be the adult and held my tongue. A short quiet spell followed, but strangely, it wasn’t awkward at all.

“...Wait, is it really that late?”

Checking her smartphone, Hanamori’s eyes widened.

“...The last train is gone.”

“Whoa... you’re right.”

I checked my own watch. Just before midnight.

Dammit. We were having such a good time that I completely lost track of time.

We were totally stranded.

“What should we do?”

“An internet cafe, I guess. There should be one nearby.”

“You’re pretty knowledgeable about this, Asami-san.”

“I’ve missed the last train around here before.”

“...With whom?”

Hanamori shot me a slightly probing look.

“A friend.”

“Is that true?”

“It’s true.”

“Hmm... If you say so.”

(What does ‘if you say so’ mean...?)

Hanamori abruptly looked straight ahead.

Her side profile looked suspiciously like she was sulking.

After settling the bill (which ended up entirely on my tab), we left the izakaya and walked to a nearby internet cafe.

Stepping through the automatic doors, we approached the front desk.

“Excuse me, do you have two private booths available?”

The receptionist checked his monitor.

“My apologies. All single booths are fully booked... We only have one Couples’ Booth remaining.”

The clerk explained.

““Huh?””

Hanamori and I blurted in unison, exchanging startled glances.

“...Should we look for somewhere else?”

As I suggested that, Hanamori pondered briefly before answering.

“Isn’t this fine? Let’s just take it.”

Her response was surprisingly casual.

“Wait, you’re okay with that?”

“I’m tired. Wandering around searching for another place sounds like a pain.”

“But a Couples’ Booth is...”

“What, are you planning on jumping my bones or something, Asami-san?”

Hanamori took a step back, giving me a dubious look.

“Wha—! Who would...?! Of course I’m not—”

“Then there’s no problem, right?”

Cutting off my flustered defense, Hanamori turned back to the receptionist.

“We’ll take it.”

“Understood.”

The clerk began processing our key. I watched in a daze, feeling a strange turmoil in my chest. Hanamori’s side profile looked slightly flushed. Was she actually nervous deep down? Or was it just the alcohol?

As for me, I was unnecessarily jittery.

The Couples’ Booth we were shown to was far narrower than expected.

It put the two of us in absurdly close proximity for sleeping.

“Okay, I’ll sleep on this side.”

Hanamori sat on the edge of the mat. I settled onto the opposite side.

Enclosed together in this tiny private space, my heart suddenly started pounding violently. Why is this happening?

“It’s warm in here.”

“Yeah, a bit.”

Without warning, Hanamori began unzipping her hoodie.

Wait, she’s taking it off?!

I averted my eyes out of pure reflex, despite having no inappropriate intentions whatsoever.

The rustling sound of fabric being peeled off sounded unnaturally loud. My eyes involuntarily strayed back toward the noise.

Underneath the hoodie, Hanamori was wearing a delicate black camisole.

Slender shoulders. Pale, fragile frame. Through the thin material, the elegant line of her spine was clearly defined.

When Hanamori turned around, our eyes locked. I hastily jerked my head away.

“Asami-san, you’re staring too much.”

“I-I was not!”

“We just made eye contact! You were definitely staring!”

Hanamori narrowed her eyes into a flat, judgment-filled glare. Then she laid down on the mat, turning her back to me.

I laid down on the opposite side as well, turning my back to her.

Even so, the distance between us was close—far too close. I could hear her soft breathing, sensing the subtle movement of her body with every breath.

No, no, no, why is my heart racing like this? This is Hanamori we’re talking about! That cheeky junior!

After about thirty minutes passed, Hanamori sat up.

“I’m going to use the restroom.”

Saying that, Hanamori pulled aside the curtain and stepped out. Left alone, I stared blankly at the ceiling. Why is my heart making such a racket? While lost in thought, the curtain slid open. Just as I started turning toward the wall—

“Whoa!”

Hanamori tripped over something and tumbled forward right on top of me.

“Huh?!”

Thud.

Before I knew it, I was pinned to the mat with Hanamori straddling over me.

Her face was right there.

Close enough for our lips to graze.

And... her chest was pressing right against mine.

So soft... The stray thought flashed unbidden through my mind.

Hanamori’s eyes were wide with shock.

Both of our breaths hitched in our throats.

“...Ah.”

A faint murmur escaped her lips, her warm breath brushing against my cheek.

My pulse thundered in my ears. My heart was pounding so hard I felt like it might burst right out of my chest.

“Asami-san...”

Hanamori whispered. Her voice sounded strangely sweet, laced with a subtle sensuality.

I couldn’t squeeze out a single word.

Hanamori’s eyes slowly dropped to my lips.

Slowly, her center of gravity leaned downward.

Strands of her hair tickled my cheek.

The sweet scent of her shampoo drifted into my nose.

Her lips—

A vivid flashback of our kiss that night flashed through my mind.

Hanamori’s flushed red ears.

Her lips drawing nearer.

At that exact instant—

Heavy footsteps came clattering down the hallway outside.

“!”

Both of us gasped simultaneously.

Hanamori frantically scrambled off me.

“I-I’m so sorry!”

Her weight lifted off my body. The comforting softness vanished.

The footsteps hurried right past our curtain, but Hanamori was already on her feet.

“...I-I’ll go grab us some drinks!”

Hanamori rushed out of the room. Left alone, I lay flat on the mat, staring numbly at the ceiling.

“...What was that just now?”

My heart was still hammering against my ribs. My face was burning hot. The sensation of Hanamori’s body remained branded into mine. Her chest pressing against me.

Our lips were just inches away—

(...No way. What on earth am I thinking?)

I cupped my hands over my blazing cheeks.

After a short while, Hanamori returned.

“...Here, this is for you, Asami-san.”

Hanamori held out a paper cup filled with juice.

Her gaze was pointed deliberately away from me.

“Ah, thanks.”

“Don’t mention it.”

Hanamori replied curtly, but her ears were bright crimson.

An uncomfortable silence descended upon the booth.

Hanamori laid down on the mat, pressing herself as far against the wall as physically possible.

She was keeping an obvious distance from me compared to before.

“Well, let’s get some sleep then.”

“...Okay.”

When I clicked off the light, only the sound of our quiet breathing remained in the dark room.

“Asami-san.”

“Hmm?”

“............It’s nothing.”

Her voice was barely a whisper.

I could have sworn Hanamori sounded a little lonely.

Though it was probably just my imagination.

“Good night.”

“...Good night.”

I closed my eyes.

Yet sleep eluded me entirely.

Hanamori’s weight, her warmth, her soft breath.

The softness of her chest.

The dangerous proximity of our lips.

It felt as though every single sensation was still lingering on my skin.

Beside me, Hanamori shifted in her sleep.

Maybe she was wide awake over there, too.

It was going to be a long, long night.

 


ToC

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

close