Chapter 16: Ranking Battle
Once again, I finished my morning training and was eating alone in the boys' dormitory when two trays were placed on the table to my left and right.
"Mars! Long time no see! But man, that uniform really doesn't suit you, does it?"
"Oh! Good morning, Gon! That’s quite a greeting for this early in the morning!"
Standing before me were Gon and Carl. It seemed the two of them had returned to the academy yesterday evening. According to Gon, they only needed to be back by today, so quite a few other students besides them were making use of the cafeteria.
"Man, it's tough being so popular. Everyone was relying on me... Tian has definitely fallen for me, don't you think?" Gon bragged about his heroic tales in the dungeon.
Carl immediately shot him down. "What part of you is there to fall for? Your loud voice? Or maybe the fact that you're a crybaby?"
Watching them banter for the first time in a while, I couldn't help but enjoy the mood.
"By the way, we heard rumors after we got back yesterday. Isn't your Ranking Battle today, Mars?"
"Yeah. What about it?"
"Good luck out there! If my former roommate becomes the Rank One student of the Lister National academy's S-Class, I'll be able to brag about it!" Gon said, slapping my back to encourage me.
"I guess so, I do have a small goal in mind. I'll do my best to at least reach that point."
Just as I answered with determination, another man appeared.
"Mars. Is this seat taken?"
It was Baron. His mere presence made Gon and Carl shrink back in intimidation.
"Yeah. Go ahead."
Before I could even finish answering, Baron took a seat. He immediately began speaking about his enthusiasm for today's Ranking Battle. "Mars. Don't think badly of me. I've honed myself specifically for today. I know it will end with me embarrassing you in front of Clarice and the others, but don't take it personally."
Absolute confidence oozed from his expression.
"I can't afford to lose to you, of all people," I replied. "But let me ask you one thing. I understand wanting Ellie as a fiancée. But why Clarice? Clarice is from a Baron house in the Kingdom of Zarcam, right? There’s no need for you to go out of your way for your family's sake regarding her, is there?"
Baron laughed at my question. "The answer to that is obvious. Because I like Clarice."
I knew it. I absolutely cannot lose to this guy. I swore that in my heart as I left the cafeteria ahead of Baron.
"Sparks were flying back there!"
"Fighting over a woman... it really feels like youth, doesn't it!"
On the way to class, Gon and Carl spoke excitedly. Incidentally, formal classes for E-Class started tomorrow, but they—and many other students—had decided to come to academy voluntarily today.
"Still, I can't believe I got to see the 'Hero of the North' up close."
"Yeah, Baron is an idol right up there with Glenn."
Huh. So Baron has that kind of charisma, too.
"Hey. Is it true that Baron can use all four major magic elements?" I asked, recalling what Karen had said.
"You didn't know? He can use all four, and they say his Earth Magic rivals the 'Golem Master' of [Crimson Lotus]! His swordsmanship is top-tier, and his face is flawless too! He's a worthy opponent for you, Mars!"
By 'Golem Master,' do they mean that glasses-wearing senior girl, Ike's girlfriend? I should have used Appraisal on her back then.
Thinking about that, we arrived at the classroom. In addition to the students, our homeroom teacher Lorenz, assistant teacher Sasha, and Cyrus were waiting.
"Alright! Everyone's here! We're heading to the arena!"
Lorenz started moving before I could even sit down.
The arena was a few dozen minutes' walk from the first-year academy building. It had a capacity of about five thousand people. It was a fully equipped facility with VIP seats, waiting rooms for competitors, and a medical office, naturally making us all tense up.
"The Ranking Battle works by having lower-ranked students challenge those above them! If the lower rank wins, they swap places and gain the right to fight the next person up the ladder! You'll figure it out as we go, so that's enough explanation! Raise your hand if you have questions!"
I was the only one who raised a hand.
"Alright, Mars. Go ahead."
"Yes, What are the victory conditions? And I assume we use training weapons?"
I doubted we'd fight to the death, but better safe than sorry.
"You may use your own equipment. We teachers will decide the winner, but do not inflict serious injuries. We have a Holy Mage employed by Duke Regan here today, but don't let your guard down."
As expected of a Duke, she has one or two Holy Mages on the payroll. If there's a Holy Mage, we should be fine even if things get a little rough.
"Good! Since there are no more questions, let's begin! First up, Rank 7 Mars versus Rank 6 Clarice! Step forward!"
Lorenz called us up, but Clarice spoke immediately. “Sensei, May I forfeit? If that is not allowed, we will fight only as a formality, but..."
"...I suppose that makes sense. Very well! In that case, Mars, next is Rank 5 Misha!"
However, Misha also declared a forfeit. Without lifting a finger, I rose from Rank 7 to Rank 5.
"How about you, Dominic?" Lorenz asked the Rank 4 student.
"I'll do it! I'll defeat Mars here and make her look my way!" Dominic stared straight at Clarice.
"Oh! Go show that lady-killer what you're made of!" It seemed Cyrus was siding with Dominic.
However, I couldn't lose here. I needed a victory that would convince everyone that they were no match for me. As we squared off with our swords, the signal for my first mock battle of the day rang out.
"Begin!"
Simultaneous with Lorenz's words, Dominic charged.
"Uwooooooh!!!"
Contrary to his rough shout, his sword line was beautiful. Just seeing his technique told me how sincerely he had dedicated himself to the sword. But even so, it couldn't reach me while I had 《Sylphid》 active.
I considered just dodging until he tired out and then finishing him. But that would be rude.
Thinking that, I put strength into my grip and deflected Dominic's sword with all my might. Dominic's sword flew all the way into the spectator stands, and he dropped to his knees on the spot.
"Winner! Mars!"
Lorenz's voice broke the silence.
"Damn it! It's still not enough?!" The fire in Dominic's eyes hadn't been extinguished yet.
I returned to receiving blessings from Clarice and the others, but my name was called again immediately.
"Next is Mars again! And the opponent is Ellie! Step forward!"
But here, too, I won by default. Well, I had a feeling that would happen.
And finally, I faced Baron for the Rank 2 spot.
"Beating Dominic... you have considerable skill with the sword. Let's fight fair and square." Baron was as confident as ever.
"Yeah, I know."
We took some distance, and Lorenz gave the signal.
"Begin!"
As soon as it started, I used Appraisal on Baron.
[Name] Baron Reinhardt
[Title] —
[Status] Human / Heir to Reinhardt Count Family
[Condition] Good
[Age] 12
[Level] 26
[HP] 163 / 163
[MP] 201 / 241
[Strength] 60
[Agility] 63
[Magic] 61
[Dexterity] 58
[Endurance] 60
[Luck] 5
[Special Ability] Swordsmanship C (Lv 7/15)
[Special Ability] Fire Magic D (Lv 4/13)
[Special Ability] Water Magic D (Lv 3/13)
[Special Ability] Earth Magic C (Lv 7/15)
[Special Ability] Wind Magic E (Lv 2/11)
[Equipment] Mithril Silver Sword
[Equipment] Earth Spirit's Robe (Gnome Robe)
So this is the Hero of the North.
His status was that of a perfect all-rounder. Perhaps because he utilized all four major magics, his Dexterity was high for a man. But if anything, I was an all-rounder type too.
Just as I resolved not to lose, Baron's magic flew at me.
"《Wind》!"
"《Earth Bullet》!"
"《Ice Arrow》!"
"《Fire Arrow》!"
Baron fired off every element as if showing off. In that case, I'd show off too!
I cut down all the approaching magic with the Fire Spirit Sword (Salamander Sword).
"He... he cut the magic? And mine, at that... Does that mean his Magic stat is higher than mine... or is his Swordsmanship level King-class? At this age? That's impossible..."
When I finished cutting down every spell, Baron hung his head powerlessly. He was confident, but apparently not an idiot.
"...I'm third rank?"
Realizing he had no effective means of attacking me, Baron admitted defeat immediately. Lorenz hadn't expected me to win either, so there was no winner's call. Just as I tried to return to the group, Karen stopped me.
"Mars, Fight me for the First Rank."
Karen was fired up. However, being Rank 1 was the last thing I wanted. I didn't want to stand out.
"No, First Rank suits you, Karen. I'll just stay as..."
When I tried to decline, everyone rejected the idea.
"No way! I wouldn't be happy with a First Rank like that!"
"Think about Baron and Dominic, who you just beat!"
"Mars. Just accept it."
True, if I thought about Baron and Dominic, maybe I should fight. But if I overdid it...
As I held my head in my hands, agonizing over it, Clarice spoke up. "I like the current Mars, but I feel like I'd love a 'Rank One Mars' even more."
If she says that, I have no choice!
"Fine. But I don't want to point a sword at you, Karen. So, if I survive your attack, is it my win?"
"Very well, Just one spell will suffice. I consider the matches after yours to be the real main event for me."
After mine? Does she mean fighting Baron?
My doubts vanished with the voice starting the match.
"Here I come."
Karen chanted the magic she had shown during the dungeon exam. However, there was one difference. This time, she was manifesting the magic from the tip of the Fire Spirit Rod (Salamander Rod). I could see her mana transmitting from her body into the staff.
"If you think you can't handle it, run immediately! 《Flare》!"
The flames released from the Salamander Rod were as blinding as the sun itself. Roaring along with the scorching air, the 《Flare》 approached slowly. The slow speed was likely so I could run if things went south.
But running was not an option for the current me.
I activated 《Sylphid》 and Vision, and at the exact moment I knocked the 《Flare》 upward from below with my Salamander Sword, I used my go-to magic!
(《Wind Impulse》!)
Deflected by the Salamander Sword, the 《Flare》 danced high into the sky and vanished into the void.
"Hey, hey... you're kidding, right? That wasn't even comparable to the 《Flare》 from the dungeon exam..."
Starting with Cyrus, Lorenz, Baron, Dominic, and even Sasha were left speechless.
"FufufuI…t is my complete defeat. With this, I doubt anyone will think of challenging you anymore."
Did Karen plan this?!
"Winner! Mars! The Rank One student of this year's S-Class is decided as Mars!"
In that instant, Clarice, Ellie, and Misha rushed over to me in delight.
"I wondered what would happen, but I definitely love the serious-faced Mars!"
"...Good... Mars... Number one..."
"Hey!? How did you do that last part!? You have to teach me properly next time!"
While the four of us were celebrating, Lorenz began the next ranking battle.
"Clarice. Do you intend to challenge Rank 6 Misha?"
Hearing that voice, Clarice's expression turned serious. "Yes! If Mars is Rank 1, then I will aim for Rank 2!"
Hearing that, Misha offered to forfeit. Dominic also spoke up. "I wanted to show how much I've grown, but I don't think I can reach her yet. I forfeit as well."
Ellie also didn't want to fight Clarice, so Clarice rose to Rank 4 without fighting a single match.
"There is no way I could lose to such beauty..."
Baron faced Clarice with his usual confident attitude, but before the 《Magic Arrow》, he couldn't do a thing and lost in seconds.
"...I'm Rank 4?"
And then came the match to decide Rank 2 between Clarice and Karen.
"Clarice? There is something I want. If I win... no, never mind." Karen started to say something but swallowed her words.
"I don't know what you want to say, but I have something I absolutely cannot yield either!"
Saying that, the two took a fixed distance and waited for the signal.
"Whoa... sparks are flying... what's going to happen?"
While Misha was fidgeting nervously, Ellie stared intently at Clarice.
"Begin!"
As expected, Clarice proceeded with the match to her advantage. She continued to shoot 《Magic Arrow》s while canceling out Karen's 《Fire》. Karen seemed to want to shoot a 《Flare》, but she wasn't given the time.
Strange... I feel like the rapid-fire capability of her Magic Arrows is slower than usual. Clarice should definitely be able to shut her down completely, but...
As I thought that, the rotation rate of the 《Magic Arrow》s dropped even further. Karen seemed to notice this and suddenly chanted the same magic as before.
"It seems this is what you desired! I'll make it slower than the last one, so run away! 《Flare》!"
I finally understood Clarice's aim. Clarice was trying to settle the hierarchy right here. I didn't need Vision to know the result.
"《Barrier》!"
That magic easily repelled my lightning magic. Naturally, Karen's 《Flare》 was no exception.
"W-What happened...?" Karen was bewildered as she looked up at the 《Flare》 bounced off by the 《Barrier》.
"Karen, try to bind me with your Charm Eye one last time."
Karen's eyes caught Clarice as she approached, but Clarice never stopped walking.
"No way!? Eh!? But...?"
Clarice was equipped with the Saint's Robe, which nullified status ailments, so it wouldn't work on her. But even without the equipment, the result wouldn't have changed. Clarice's magic power was simply higher.
"Y-You people... both of you... just what are you...?"
Ignoring the still-confused Karen, Lorenz proceeded with the ranking battles. In the end, Misha finished at Rank 7 without fighting a single match. I felt she could probably beat the confidence-stripped Dominic, but Misha suggested they fight when both were in top condition, and Dominic accepted. Dominic said today wasn't his day, ending at Rank 6.
And currently at Rank 5 was Ellie.
When Lorenz asked if she wanted to participate in the ranking battle:
"Yes."
She answered instantly.
"...Mars... One... Clarice... Two... Me, Three...!"
Ellie clenched her fist and psyched herself up. It was refreshing since she rarely showed this side of herself.
"No matter how much the Golden Lion..."
That was all Baron managed to say. Ellie closed the distance in an instant, thrusting her Wind Short Sword (Sylph Dagger) at his neck. Match over.
"...Don't tell me I'm..."
Baron tried to say something at the end but stopped himself. He probably thought it would be a flag or something. He was confident, but apparently not an idiot.
"Next is Ellie and Karen. Both of you, step forward."
This was the final battle.
"Ellie? I really don't think there are any factors that would allow you to beat me, though...?"
Thinking normally, Karen would likely win, just as she said. However, Ellie possessed a weapon that could be considered a mage-killer.
"...I... win..."
Ellie repeated "win" over and over, as if encouraging herself.
"Begin!"
The match was over in an instant.
"Fi—"
The moment Karen tried to chant magic, Ellie's mouth moved faster.
"《Silent》."
At that moment, Karen's voice was stolen. Suddenly losing her voice, Karen panicked and tried to chant magic repeatedly, but the crucial sound wouldn't come out. By the time her voice returned, she had allowed Ellie to close in. It was all over.
"It's my loss... I'm not Baron, but to think I'd end up Rank 4..." Karen laughed self-deprecatingly at the sky.
Misha patted Karen's shoulder to encourage her. "It can't be helped! Those two have been with Mars the whole time! But from now on, we can train with Mars too, so we have a chance! Let's do our best!"
"To think I'd be comforted by Misha. But you're right. We have no choice but to look forward."
Thus, the ranking battles came to an end. I never expected to be goaded into taking first place, but seeing Clarice that happy made it worth it.
That night, after a social gathering in the city of Regan with the eight of us—S-Class plus Sasha—Clarice, Ellie, and I walked through the academy grounds at night. Karen, Baron, and Dominic went home early to heal their wounded pride, and Misha, having passed out drunk without drinking a single drop again, was hauled off by Sasha.
"Mars, I'm sorry. Saying I wanted you to be Number One. But I really wanted you to take the top spot."
Clarice suddenly ran ahead, then turned around and stopped.
"No, it was good to see you and Ellie that happy for the first time in a while."
I slowly approached Clarice, who was smiling with the magic stone lamp backlighting her.
"Yeah, I was happy too. Hey? Isn't it a bit bright? Close your eyes."
True, the light of the magic stone lamp was strong, but my eyes weren't built so weakly. However, since Ellie also told me to close them, I shut my eyes.
"You absolutely cannot open them, okay!"
In the silence, I heard the sound of breathing and slow footsteps approaching. The air shifted slightly, and a soft, mellow fragrance stimulated my nostrils. Even without opening my eyes, my skin felt Clarice's presence right there, and my heart raced.
Then, Clarice's footsteps stopped right in front of me. The next moment, after feeling Clarice's sweet breath on my nose, something soft touched my lips.
Thirty-two years, including my past life. I involuntarily opened my eyes at the first-time sensation.
There, with her face dyed bright red, eyes closed in shyness, was Clarice kissing me. Her kissing face was like an angel... no, a goddess.
Just as I thought I wanted time to stop forever, I suddenly opened her eyes.
"I told you not to open them!"
Clarice pushed me away and backed off.
"...Clarice... cute... Next... Me..."
Ellie, who had been watching the kiss the whole time, stood in front of me and kissed me as if sucking on my lips.
"...Hehehe... Number two... overwrite success..."
Seeing Ellie embarrassed was a fresh sight.
"Hey! That's unfair! Then this is thanks for the pendant!"
As Clarice's lips touched mine again—
"...Rank One... Celebration..."
Ellie looked like she was about to kiss me again too, but Clarice pulled Ellie's hand to stop her.
"M-Mars. See you tomorrow."
Clarice practically ran back to the girls' dorm, dragging Ellie along. Left standing there in that dreamlike space, I caught a cold for the first time since coming to this world.
—March 1st.
I caught a cold, but I could cure it immediately with 《Cure》. However, I had contracted a sickness that neither doctors nor the hot springs of Kusatsu could cure. Though, I've had it for quite a while now.
With the sensation from yesterday still lingering on my lips, I went through morning training. Unlike usual, Clarice was acting somewhat distant. But then again, so was I.
As I hesitated to call out to her out of embarrassment, Misha asked, "Hey? Did you and Clarice have a fight?"
Misha had been blown away by her own runaway magic again today but was as energetic as ever.
"Maybe they kissed or something?" Karen teased as she joined the morning practice starting today.
"I-It's nothing like that!" Clarice denied it, but her fingers naturally touched her lips.
"Eh? Hit the mark!?"
Unable to withstand everyone's interrogation, Clarice fled, leaving me to take the concentrated fire. There was no way I could play it off, and eventually, Karen and Misha found out about my first kiss.
"Now then, starting today, new comrades will be joining S-Class. Come in."
During the morning homeroom time, Lorenz brought in three students. The timing was bad, right after the ranking battles.
"Introduce yourselves. Start with Johann."
Prompted by Lorenz, a man with dark gray hair—whom I had met during the dungeon exam—stepped forward.
"I'm Johann. There's a lot I don't know, so please teach me."
He kept it simple. Next was a small boy with a shaved head. He had looked pale during the dungeon exam, and he didn't look much better now.
"Josef. Cough, cough. Nice to meet you."
Johann rubbed the coughing Josef's back with concern.
"Josef. Go to the infirmary once this is done. Next, Minerva."
Called by Lorenz, a girl with twin tails stepped forward.
"I'm Minerva. Nice to meet you all."
Her voice gave the impression of a very energetic person, but what caught my eye was the chain wrapped around her waist. What did she use that for?
"Finally…Mars, what is your favorite color? We will change the color of the uniforms."
Uniform color? Oh right, the Rank 1 student of S-Class gets to decide that.
"Nothing in particular. It's fine as it is..."
If I had to say... maybe Silver? I wanted to look at Clarice's lustrous silver hair forever. No, but Pink was also...
While I was thinking that, Ellie spoke up, which was rare.
"No! Gold! Gold color!"
Gold? Ah, the color of my hair.
Then, Clarice, Misha, and even Karen chimed in.
"That's right. Mars's image color is Gold!"
"Yeah! I agree too!"
"It is a color befitting S-Class."
The others seemed to agree as well.
"If everyone is fine with that, then Gold is fine..."
"Understood! We'll have them tailored immediately! Now, onto martial arts class as usual! Josef, to the infirmary!"
As Lorenz gave the order, Johann spoke up. "Lorenz-sensei, Please let me accompany him to the infirmary."
Johann stayed close to the coughing Josef.
"...Very well!"
Leaving Johann and Josef behind, we headed to martial arts class.
"Oh! Mars! You're up first today!"
When we arrived at the gymnasium, Cyrus pointed the tip of his wooden sword at me as if he'd been waiting.
"Understood! Please go easy on me!"
When I took a stance with two swords gripped in my hands, Cyrus grimaced.
"Hah? Are you mocking me? Trying to use swords that aren't even twin blades?"
Twin blades? Such things exist?
"This is the answer I came up with! Let me try this!"
"Relying on cheap tricks!"
Spitting out those words, Cyrus took a sharp step forward. Keeping his momentum, he dashed, his wooden sword dancing with speed that seemed to tear through the air.
Fast! But I can react!
Until now, even if I could see it, my reaction was delayed, putting me constantly on the back foot. But now, I could react!
The match was decided in an instant.
I deflected Cyrus's full-power strike with the sword in my right hand. Before, I would have lost in a contest of strength, but with my level increased, the difference in muscle strength between Cyrus and me was minimal.
Though my posture was slightly broken, the wooden sword in my left hand stopped perfectly at Cyrus's neck.
"...Se-Seriously...?"
A single drop of sweat rolled down Cyrus's face. The next moment, Clarice and the others, who had been posing with hands clasped in prayer, exploded with joy.
"I absolutely believed that Mars would win!"
"...Mars... best... suits you...!"
"Thanks! It ended up being like a surprise attack this time, but I want to train more! I'll be counting on your help, you two!"
As I was being congratulated by Clarice, Ellie, Karen, Misha, Baron, Dominic, and Minerva, Cyrus spoke up.
"Oi! I won't lose next time, so pick up your sword!"
From Cyrus's expression, I could sense that amidst the frustration, there was also a feeling of happiness.
—After academy.
"Hey, Mars. I sewed the trousers you gave me, so it's okay to do taijutsu training with Ellie now, you know?"
Walking next to me on the way to the training grounds, Clarice glanced at Ellie, who was walking on my other side.
"Oh! Then let's start today!"
Now I could train kicking techniques while holding two swords!
I had also learned how to use Skills from Cyrus. The cool-down time for skills depended on the value (quality) of the equipment. My Fire Spirit Sword (Salamander Sword) had a cool-down of five minutes, the same as the Water Spirit Sword (Undine Sword) Cyrus equipped. The skills one could use also changed depending on the weapon and the corresponding level. Cyrus said he would teach me more about that later.
"Also, once you get your new uniform, can I have the one you're wearing now? I can make lots of things."
"Yeah, I'll hand it over as soon as I get the new one. By the way, what did you do with my robe?"
I understood the use for the trousers, but what happened to the robe? I asked casually, wondering if she made it into a dust cloth.
"Eh? Ah, uh... what did I make again...?"
Clarice's gaze swam in the air. Well, if she made it into a dust cloth, it would be hard to say. Just seeing this expression was satisfying enough... or so I thought, until Ellie answered without a hint of guilt.
"...Nn...? Body pillow... Clarice... me... sandwich..."
"Wa—!? Ellie!? What are you saying!? I'm not doing anything like..."
She frantically tried to explain, but Ellie continued.
"...Then... starting today... I'll hog it all to myself... fufufu..."
"No way! It smells like Mars, so we agreed to use it carefully togeth— Ah!?"
Goaded by Ellie, Clarice dug her own grave. She then fled toward the training grounds.
"This is the new uniform! Change into this immediately!"
The new uniform arrived the next afternoon, during magic class. It was surprisingly fast, but apparently, S-Class is the face of the academy, so it was tailored with top priority.
"As I thought, this color suits you best, Mars."
When I slipped my arms into the uniform embroidered with gold, Clarice adjusted my collar while praising me.
"Thanks. It suits you too, Clarice. It's like... you've become... divine..."
The gold thread sparkling depending on how the light hit it brought out Clarice's face even more.
"Th-Thank you... I'm happy you said gold suits me..." Clarice blushed.
"You two? Class is technically in session, you know?"
Karen, also wrapped in the new uniform, warned us with an exasperated look. Misha followed up.
"Seriously! You guys enter your own little world so fast!"
And then Ellie added one more thing.
"...Always like this... get used to it..."
"Th-That's not true! We're going back to class!"
Unable to bear the concentrated fire, Clarice absorbed herself in wind magic practice in the corner of the gymnasium alone.
"Hey! More importantly, look, Mars! I've gotten super good at it!"
Saying that, Misha hit herself with 《Wind》 and went flying. Not just in magic class, but also during morning practice, she had been training with 《Sylphid》, but for some reason, the only thing improving was her "Runaway Magic." Now, she was able to fly in the direction she wanted to some extent.
"Heh. That's interesting magic. Maybe I should try it sometime?"
The one who showed interest in Misha's runaway magic was the newly promoted Johann. He stood next to me with a smile.
"The interesting one isn't Misha's magic, but yours, Johann. Could you cast 《Kamaitachi》 at that mannequin?" Sasha requested magic from Johann.
"Of course. After all, it's thanks to this magic that I was able to promote to S-Class."
Johann held both hands out in front, concentrating mana into them.
"《Kamaitachi》!"
With his voice, blades of wind attacked from all directions, shredding the mannequin.
"Wh...!? That magic!? Isn't it unavoidable!?"
Karen covered her mouth in shock. While everyone else was surprised, Johann spoke smoothly. "Wind magic has low power, you see. My magic power isn't very high either, so I went through trial and error thinking of how to increase the power. The result was this magic."
It was easy to say, but actually manifesting this must have required considerable effort.
"That's amazing magic. Could you teach me sometime?"
"I don't mind, but aren't you a swordsman and fire user, Mars? Can you use wind magic too?"
Crap... I dug my own grave...
Just then, Clarice, who had been training in the corner, stepped in.
"He means to teach me."
She used her quick wits to cover for me.
"R-Right. Exactly. Clarice is scheduled to join the same party as me, so by all means."
When I hastily jumped on board, Johann looked delighted.
"To Clarice?! Is that okay?! For someone like me to teach her?" Johann flared his nostrils happily.
"Of course. But for the sake of future study, is it okay if Mars joins in? Mars might be able to use wind magic too."
"Naturally! Then let's start right away!"
"Yeah, nice to meet you, Johann."
"Nice to meet you too, Johann."
I exchanged a handshake with Johann, and Clarice followed. The wind magic practice of Clarice, Johann, and myself extended not just through class, but until after academy.
We still didn't know it yet.
That the person we had been looking for was right in front of our eyes—




Post a Comment