Chapter 15: S-Class
"Good morning."
When I entered the classroom, the women all turned around at once.
"""Good morning!"""
Clarice beckoned to me as I stood there not knowing where to sit. I sat next to her, and Ellie sat to my left.
"...Mars... Relief... During class... Can sleep..."
Ellie boldly declared she would sleep during class.
"Even if he's not here, Ellie-rin is always sleeping, aren't you?"
"...Not sleeping... Just closing eyes..."
Am I the only one who feels those are basically the same thing? Maybe she's tired from morning practice.
"Ellie? If it's tough, you can skip morning practice, you know?"
"...No... Always... Mars... Together..."
Karen, who had been watching the exchange from a slight distance, joined the conversation.
"What do you do for morning practice? Is it not just magic training in the gymnasium?"
"Ah..We run every morning. After that, I do muscle training. And We set a rest day once every three days, and on that day, we do magic training in the gymnasium."
Using casual speech with Karen still felt strange, but I intended to change it consciously.
"Ah! That's why even though I went every day, you didn't come..."
She looked like she understood something, but hurriedly covered her mouth with her hand.
I don't think she said anything weird, though.
As if to reset the mood, Karen cleared her throat modestly and continued.
"C-Can I participate too? In martial arts class, I run to improve my basic physical strength, so I'm interested in what it's like."
Come to think of it, Misha had said something like that.
That in S-Class martial arts classes, the teacher and content differ depending on the person.
"Yeah, Of course. But can I ask a favor of you too?"
"A favor? W-Well, as long as it's nothing strange?"
I guess if I put it that way, it sounds scary.
"You don't need to be that wary. I just want you to teach me Fire Magic. I probably won't see anyone as loved by Fire Magic as Karen in the future."
Hearing the words "loved by Fire Magic," Karen's crimson eyes shone.
"Yes, ofcourse. I won't let you escape, so be prepared."
As we were chatting, two more students entered the room.
"What's this? You guys got close before I knew it….Let me in on it too."
The one who approached in a good mood saying this was Karen's fiancé, Baron.
Dominic followed behind Baron.
"Baron, Dominic. He is Mars, who newly transferred to S-Class. Clarice and Ellie are his fiancé. And surprisingly, he is Glenn's younger brother."
"————?! Is that true?!"
"Yes. I confirmed it with Glenn yesterday."
"What?! Does that mean you were able to talk to Glenn?!"
Baron was so excited it was immediately obvious he admired Ike too.
"That's right. We drank alcohol together too. Putting that aside for a moment, you two introduce yourselves."
Karen ordered the two of them. The power balance was completely established.
And that applied between the two guys as well. Baron gestured for Dominic to introduce himself first, and Dominic complied with hesitation.
"...I'm Dominic Augus. I'm good at swordsmanship, and I intend to master it someday."
Perhaps because he lost to Clarice, he didn't call himself the Sword Saint.
I started to stand up to introduce myself too, but Dominic stopped me.
"I know. Mars, right? I'm sorry about that time. But I haven't given up. Because I didn't lose to you."
Saying that, Dominic stared intently at Clarice.
"What? You guys know each other? I'm Baron Reinhardt. You probably know, but I'm the heir to the Reinhardt Count family and Karen's fiancé. I'm called the Hero of the North. Nice to meet you."
Oh, he seems like a surprisingly nice guy.
"I'm Mars, Mars Bryant. Nice to meet you too."
I shook the hand Baron offered firmly, and then it was time for class.
While the other classes were conducting dungeon exams, we had lessons at academy.
We received an explanation that classroom lectures would be done after the S-Class students were finalized, so the morning was for martial arts class.
Basically, S-Class had martial arts in the morning and magic classes in the afternoon, the reverse of E-Class.
"Oi! Baron! Dominic! Today too, I'll give you plenty of love..."
Cyrus's voice echoed in the classroom.
I was surprised at myself for feeling somewhat relieved to hear this voice after so long, but it seemed Cyrus felt the same.
"If it isn't Mars! I see! You finally made it to S-Class too! Good for you!"
Cyrus celebrated my promotion to S-Class.
"Thank you very much. I'll be in your care here as well, so please treat me well!"
"Yeah! For now, I'm playing with these guys until the end of the month, so be prepared because I'm going to work you hard starting next month! You guys, let's go!"
A sense of tragedy drifted from the backs of Baron and Dominic as they were dragged away by Cyrus.
"Sensei? May I have a moment?"
Karen raised her hand as she watched Baron and Dominic leave, and the teacher nodded.
This teacher wasn't our homeroom teacher, but a temporary one.
Our homeroom teacher was Lorenz, the man who was the examiner for my practical exam.
He was injured when he returned alone to the third floor to warn Clarice and the others during the dungeon exam, and was currently taking time off to recover.
"During the dungeon exam, we found issues with our coordination. I would like to confirm coordination between Mars, Clarice, Ellie, and Misha."
"Right. Returning from the dungeon exam, you must have things to think about. I'll tell the other teachers, so go ahead and do it."
Perhaps because we were trusted so much, permission was granted immediately, and the five of us headed to the gymnasium.
"You guys want to confirm your coordination, right? Leave me be and get started. Mars, I'm leaving it to you."
Saying that, Karen started stretching by herself.
As expected, Karen had sensed the lack of coordination in the vanguard.
"Alright, first Ellie and Misha train together. Confirm each other's strength, then discuss it."
Even though Misha leveled up, the gap with Ellie was clear.
Whether Misha would back up Ellie so she could fight at full power, or Ellie would adjust to Misha's ability... or perhaps enable them to do both. That was what we intended to work out.
"Then, Clarice. You do swordsmanship training with me as usual."
"Yes. Please go easy on me, Sensei."
Someday my heart is going to explode.
My heart started pounding at full throttle, enough to make me think that.
As Clarice and I crossed swords, Karen, who had been running around the gym, stopped.
"C-Clarice? Aren't you a rearguard archer?!"
In the dungeon exam, she only used a bow, and S-Class martial arts times were separate.
Plus, even if rumors of the match with Dominic reached Karen's ears, given her personality, she wouldn't believe it unless she saw it with her own eyes.
"That's true, but if I can't do at least this much, I'll be left behind by Mars."
Clarice answered Karen's question while desperately swinging her sword.
"No way... I thought it was strange that you were holding a sword, but..."
Karen stopped there for a while, staring intently at my training with Clarice.
"Phew, I'm tired. Can I take a break?"
Misha threw her legs out and sat down.
"Then Ellie, could you train martial arts with me next? There's something I want to try, and I want to incorporate kicking techniques into it."
But I had forgotten.
This was academy. Not Almeria.
In Almeria, she wore long black pants, but here she wore a skirt.
When Ellie's right leg grazed the tip of my nose, a yellow paradise spread out before my eyes.
"S-Sorry! Never mind!"
This wasn't going to be training.
"I don't care who, but if anyone knows, please tell me—does this academy have trousers for girls or something?"
Clarice, realizing my intention, peered into my face.
"Mars, by any chance? Just now... did you see?"
"I-It was an accident..."
Recently, my luck has been extraordinary.
"Geez….You haven't changed a bit. I asked the teacher about that too, but apparently, they don't have any."
Uwah... Then training with Ellie is impossible like this.
And "haven't changed a bit"... well, I can't deny it.
Then, Ellie tilted her head and said a few words.
"...Nn...? No problem... Mars... show... all..."
"No, even if you say that, Ellie, I won't be able to focus on training."
I need to come up with a countermeasure quickly, or grappling techniques and such will become a disaster.
Just then, a man's voice called out to me.
"Heeey! Mars! You at it?!"
Ike had intruded on our class.
"Ike-nii? What's wrong?"
"Ah…As long as we properly complete our quests, us Crimson Lotus members are entrusted with a certain degree of freedom. We're free to come peek at other classes' lessons like this or take quests in the city of Regan. In exchange, we absolutely have to participate in events and nominated quests."
Well, Ike and the others would become adults this year.
From the perspective of adventurers the same age, that was natural.
"Ike-nii? Can I ask? What is the meaning of being in academy? Even if you don't graduate, couldn't you make it as an adventurer if you dropped out?"
"That's true. As you say, Mars, I might be able to make it as an adventurer, but to become an A-Class adventurer, you need to sell your face. It might be fine if your face sells due to strength, but there are plenty of guys like that. If you stay in this academy, nominations from great nobles will come. From the perspective of a great noble, if they are going to make the same request anyway, it's better to request it from the academy to build a connection with Duke Regan."
Even if the academy took a margin, considering the future, was that better?
"Mars, can you do a mock battle with me now? Last year I barely managed to beat Cyrus-sensei, so I thought maybe I could have a good match with you too."
Cyrus himself said it, but Ike really did beat Cyrus, huh.
"Of course. I'm looking forward to it too."
We faced each other, holding training weapons.
Sword vs Spear, so I was likely at a disadvantage.
Strength values also went to Ike.
The only thing I was winning in was Agility.
However, Cyrus, whom Ike defeated, had higher Agility than me.
There was no chance of winning if we just went at it, but first I decided to watch and wait without using Future Vision or 《Sylphid》.
I stepped forward and ran around simultaneously.
First, the basics. Confusion tactics with speed.
On the other hand, Ike remained stationary, holding his spear firmly.
When I entered Ike's range, a sharp thrust grazed my shoulder.
Fast! As expected of Spearmanship Level 13.
However, the retraction is the spear's weakness!
Just as I thought Now! and moved in, Ike's eyes shone sharply.
Crap! If I go now, I lose!
Intimidated by that pressure, I backstepped, and Ike relaxed his stance.
"As expected of Mars. To think you wouldn't step in right there."
"I just felt like I was being lured in, so I ran away."
Does that mean Cyrus lost to that just now?
Maybe it was written on my face, because Ike smiled and said,
"Cyrus-sensei dove in knowing it. Thinking, 'There's no way I'd lose to a cheap trick from the likes of me.' The result was that I managed to win, but if that stalemate had continued, the match might not have been decided."
That sounds like Cyrus.
"C-Could you give me a lesson? As a fellow spear user, there are many things I want you to teach me."
Misha asked respectfully, which was rare for her.
"Sure, I have a little more time, so that's fine. Also, call me Ike. Being called Glenn in front of Mars, Clarice, and Ellie is embarrassing."
Ike agreed readily.
After teaching Misha spearmanship for about an hour, Ike left, leaving a refreshing breeze behind him.
"Haaah... That space earlier was like a dream. Ike-san in front of me. And watching over me gently by my side..."
During the meal, Misha sighed as if she couldn't even swallow her food.
Then, the battered and bruised Baron and Dominic joined us.
"Damn it! Just a little more and I could have landed a blow on his smirking face!"
"True! But don't you think our coordination was pretty good too? If we keep going like this, we might be able to blow him away soon!"
Cyrus is good at inciting students like this.
He pushes them until they are just a little bit away, then makes them get motivated.
I remembered getting confident in the city of Ganal like that too.
"That's right, Clarice. Are you free tonight? How about dinner?"
Baron invited Clarice as if they were lovers.
"Eh? I-I have plans with Mars..."
"Eh, ah, r-right."
I was surprised because he invited her so naturally.
"Then how about Ellie? I'll treat you to whatever you like."
Next, Baron hit on Ellie.
As usual, Ellie kept directing her smile at me, ignoring Baron's words, but this was unforgivable.
"What is your intention, Baron? Clarice and Ellie are my fiancées."
I thought maybe I was being looked down upon because my ranking was low even though I entered S-Class.
"What is my intention? I'm just treating them as usual, though?"
He didn't seem apologetic at all.
Despite his fiancée, Karen, being right nearby.
"What do you think, Karen?"
I tried to get Karen, the only one who could order Baron, to scold him, but the words that came out were completely unexpected.
"Oh? I think it's normal behavior?"
Eh? What does that mean? Your fiancé is hitting on other women right in front of you? Isn't that too insincere?
However, there was a circumstance unique to this world.
Sensing the dangerous atmosphere, Karen explained politely.
"I don't think the Bryant Count family has a different policy, but I'll explain just in case. Heirs to influential noble families like Baron are educated to increase their fiancées. You understand that much, right?"
No, I was already confused from that point.
Certainly, I heard from Clarice when I made Ellie a side wife that influential nobles are assigned fiancées as side wives.
But for the man to actively go look for women... and in front of his fiancée, that was out of the question.
"Also, my family, the Fressbald Duke house, which is engaged to Baron, has 'ordered' him to welcome solid side wives, you know?"
Ha? From Karen's family too? What do they think of Karen?
"If I become Baron's legal wife and Ellie is welcomed as a side wife, what that means is we can announce to the world that the Fressbald Duke house is above the Seleance Duke house. That's why the Fressbald Duke house has likely notified the Reinhardt Count family to obtain Ellie no matter what. That's something not just us, but everyone knows."
Just to decide which is superior...
Wait, does that mean Karen and Baron don't like each other?
Thinking about it, that makes sense.
Marrying a bitter enemy for the sake of the house was something done even in Japan's history.
Apparently, my inner voice had leaked out.
"I am quite lucky. My partner decided by the families is Baron. A partner anyone would envy... Yes, I am happy."
It was impressionable that she seemed to be telling herself that at the end.
Does that mean I have to live while constantly harboring the fear that Clarice and Ellie might be stolen by someone?
But here, support came from an unexpected person.
"Mars, there are some guys who try to force an engagement using their family's power, but please rest assured about that. I will make Clarice and Ellie turn to look at me with my own power. Besides, you two understand, right? If you watch me continue to win against Mars, you'll see that I am more attractive."
Baron spoke with confidence.
Hmm. What a ridiculous world.
I left the cafeteria while thinking about what to do in the future.
The afternoon was magic class.
The only ones taking Fire Magic class in S-Class were Karen and me.
Apparently, there was no teacher who could teach Karen, so before I came, she was always alone.
As we trained together, Karen asked listlessly.
"Are you still dragging it out?"
"Eh? Ah. You say you're glad it's Baron, Karen, but there was a possibility you'd have to marry an old man, right? What would you have done then?"
"Then it would be what it would be. But that's not just me. Baron had the same possibility, and so does everyone else besides us."
I see. It's a risk not just for the women, but for the men too.
At least if it was adoption, it might be fine...
As I talked while training Fire Magic with Karen, Sasha brought Clarice, Ellie, and Misha to the Fire Magic training grounds.
"They said they're doing Wind Magic training here starting today."
"Nice to be with you, Mars."
"...Wind Magic... do my best..."
"Mars, when you have time, teach me that magic."
Oh. Does that mean I can be with Clarice and the others in both the morning and afternoon now?
This is the biggest harvest of becoming S-Class.
While everyone was training magic, Karen stood behind me.
"Okay, Mars. For now, let me thank you for the other day. Try chanting 《Fireball》."
As told, I held both hands out in front and manifested a 《Fireball》. Then, Karen pressed right up against my back.
Eh? Before I could think, Karen wrapped her arms around me from behind and grabbed my arms.
"A-As expected, you're big... But trust me and stay like this..."
Surrendering my body to Karen as told, Karen's mana ran through my body and transmitted to the 《Fireball》.
In the next moment, the 《Fireball》 began to move slowly, drawing an arc.
Just as I thought the circle was getting smaller, the 《Fireball》 suddenly vanished.
"Wha—?! Mars. Just how high is your magic power? Moving such a huge 《Fireball》 alone is impossible."
Karen, stepping away from my back, crouched down as if collapsing.
A thin layer of sweat seeped onto her face.
"...But it's the first time I could move someone else's 《Fireball》... Until now, I couldn't move anyone's."
Karen muttered something softly, but I couldn't hear it very well.
"Hey? What was that? Was Karen moving it?"
When Clarice asked while attending to Karen,
"Yes. It's one of the Fire Magic training methods passed down in the Fressbald Duke house. It's difficult because there's compatibility involved, but it seems my mana and Mars's mana have an affinity."
Karen spoke while looking at me.
Certainly, the moment Karen's mana rushed through me, the image of how Karen always handles 《Fireball》 entered me simultaneously.
I feel like I can do it now.
"《Fireball》!"
I manifested a clump of flame, advanced it to a certain point, and then slowly made it orbit.
One rotation, two rotations... Oh! I did three rotations for the first time!
"Normally, if we did it facing each other, I could convey it even better, but Clarice and Ellie are scary so I'll stop there."
Karen narrowed her eyes while looking at my 《Fireball》.
True, that would be bad. Karen was twelve years old, and although she was only around 150 centimeters tall, she had curves in all the right places.
For now, thanks to Karen, I grasped the trick, so using that as a clue, I dedicated myself to Fire Magic training.
—After academy
"Hey Mars? What are you doing with the uniforms you wore until now?"
Having finished a round of training and about to head out into the night of Regan, Clarice grabbed my right hand.
"I'm thinking of throwing them away tomorrow?"
"Does that mean you haven't thrown them away yet?"
"Eh? Ah. They're still in my room, but..."
"Then. Won't you give all those uniforms to me?"
"I don't mind, but why?"
Then, smiling at Ellie on my left, she told me the use.
"Yeah. I'm thinking of taking in Mars's trousers to make shorts for Ellie. Isn't this uniform fabric good? So I want to make effective use of it."
The moment she heard that, Ellie jumped from my left side to my right side and hugged Clarice.
"...Clarice... Love you!"
Ellie hugged Clarice's slender body with all her might.
"Then let's break up early today and bring them over. I'll be waiting with Ellie."
That day, no one drank alcohol; we just ate and returned to the dorms.
Only Misha assumed she drank and passed out, though.
The curfew for S-Class was 20:00.
When I headed near the girls' dormitory with my uniforms a little past 19:00, Clarice and Ellie came out to meet me.
"Thank you. With this, Ellie can train martial arts with peace of mind."
"Yeah, I'm asking too. The only partner I can train martial arts with is Ellie."
"...Yup! I... only Mars..."
There were few people Ellie could fight with at full power even if she wanted to train.
It was similar for me, but in my case, I innovated by improving my weak points or placing restrictions on myself.
For Ellie, who found that bothersome, shorts were an essential item for leveling up.
Just as we talked a little and were about to disperse, a voice called me from the south.
"Heeey! Mars! Wait a second!"
There was no way I could mistake the owner of this voice.
It was Ike. Ike was coming this way, bringing someone with him.
"I'm glad! I met you when it was just the three of you!"
Surprisingly, the person Ike brought was a woman.
Red-rimmed glasses sat on her face. Those glasses drew a sharp form with thin lines, and the red lines accentuated her beautiful eyes.
The eyes hidden behind the clear lenses were intellectual, yet hid a somewhat devilish playfulness.
Her height and build were about the same as Clarice.
The woman, whom anyone would recognize as a beauty, peered into my face to observe me.
"Heh... So you're Mars-kun."
When she whispered at a distance where I could feel her breath, Clarice and Ellie pulled me away.
"W-Who are you?"
"Oh my? You're Clarice. And the blonde child is Ellie, right?"
Perhaps having been told by Ike, the glasses beauty knew about us.
Then, placing a hand on the glasses beauty's shoulder, Ike introduced her.
"This is Edine. Edine Alitas, the eldest daughter of the Mesalius Count family. Commonly known as the [Golem Master]. She is a person indispensable to Crimson Lotus, and to me."
Come to think of it, I had heard stories that there was another famous person in Crimson Lotus besides Ike.
Even so, introducing her while putting a hand on her shoulder... they must be incredibly intimate.
There was a possibility she could become my sister-in-law in the future, so I had to make sure not to be rude.
"I'm Edine, You can call me Edie. Ike has been boasting about Mars-kun as if it were about himself for so long, so I was curious what kind of person you were. I think we'll become much closer from now on, so nice to meet you, Mars-kun."
Full of sex appeal, Edine adjusted her glasses and introduced herself again.
This person really suits glasses.
"I am his brother, Mars. My brother is always in your care."
When I finished my introduction, Clarice and Ellie also bowed.
"I wanted to introduce her to you three quickly. I'll come by again properly another day, so we'll talk then. Edie, let's go!"
Hand in hand with Ike, the glasses-girl senior, Edine, left.
"She was a beautiful person."
Clarice, watching them leave, muttered softly.
"True. But I thought she was a person who cannot be underestimated."
"Eh? What do you mean?"
"She brought her face close, right? I was startled, but at the same time, I felt a sensation like I was being peered into. I think she tried to Appraise me."
Maybe it wasn't just Appraisal.
After all, I felt a gaze similar to Duke Regan's.
"Since she's a woman Ike-nii went out of his way to introduce, I don't think she's a strange person by mistake. But please be careful, both of you. Just in case."
After confirming that the two were on guard, I returned to the dormitory.
—The Next Day, After academy
The five of us who always spent time together recently... Clarice, Ellie, Misha, and I were training magic with Karen when the glasses-girl senior wandered in.
"Hello, Edine-senpai."
Following me, Clarice and Ellie finished their greetings. Next was Karen... but the glasses-girl senior tilted her head to the side first.
"Long time no see, Lady Karen."
"Indeed. Your impression seems to have changed quite a bit from before? Did something happen?"
Apparently, the two were acquaintances from before.
Well, when it came to a great noble family like the Fressbald Duke house, nobles of the Lister Federation probably all met at social gatherings, so maybe it was natural.
"Yes, Since I met a good person, I was able to change my way of thinking."
"Is that so? Before, you looked as if all men were enemies, showing open disgust toward anyone."
Heh... Was glasses-girl senior like that?
I couldn't imagine it from her current atmosphere.
"So? What is it today? You didn't come to show your face to me, did you?"
Crossing her arms, Karen asked the glasses-girl senior.
"Yes. That was my intention, but I didn't think Lady Karen would be here. I will come another time."
After sending a wink my way, the glasses-girl senior left.
"Does Karen know Edine-senpai?"
Since Ike said she was an important person. I should probably know at least a little about her.
"Yes. She is an exceptionally excellent Earth Mage. Sharp mind and beautiful appearance. For the past three years, she has been the face of Lister National academy alongside Glenn as 'Miss Lister'."
Miss Lister? Does this academy do something like a beauty pageant?
"But she was famous for hating men. She was unapproachable, but watching her conversation with Mars, it seems she's cured."
Glasses-girl senior also said she met a good person, so maybe she changed after meeting Ike.
"Well, if you have any trouble, tell me. There is a not-insignificant relationship between my Fressbald Duke house and Edine's Alitas Count family."
Well, if family power was brought out in this academy, the only one who could beat Karen would probably be Ellie.
"Understood. If something happens, I'll consult you."
We finished training and ate dinner in the city of Regan today as well.
And then, February 30th, the day of the Ranking Battle arrived.




Post a Comment