NWQA9y4fvqTQ9rz5lZU0Ky7avuunQd0OpkNmfOuq
Bookmark
📣 IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THE ADS ON THIS WEB, YOU CAN JUST USE AD-BLOCK, NO NEED TO YAPPING ON DISCORD LIKE SOMEONE, SIMPLE. | JIKA KALIAN TIDAK NYAMAN DENGAN IKLAN YANG ADA DIDALAM WEB INI, KALIAN BISA MEMAKAI AD-BLOCK AJA, GAK USAH YAPPING DI DISCORD KAYAK SESEORANG, SIMPLE. ⚠️

[ENG] The Infinite Magician: Persecuted as a Child of Commoner’s Without Magical Power. In truth, I Possess Infinite Magic Volume 1 Chapter 3

 

Chapter 3: An Invitation from the Marquis's Family



It was a few days after meeting the Rosemary sisters in the forest.

Early in the morning, Rest was summoned to his father's office, a rare occurrence.

"Hey... what is the meaning of this, you failure?" Lucas demanded as Rest entered.

Right off the bat, Rest was showered with insults the moment he opened the door.

"What are you talking about?" Rest asked calmly.

"An invitation has arrived from the house of Marquis Rosemary. Not for me, nor for Cedric—for you," 

His father, Lucas Eberne, made no effort to hide his foul mood as he spoke.

"They say it is at the explicit request of his young daughters... Where on earth did you meet them? You didn't reveal your identity to them, did you?" Lucas pressed.

"...I merely spoke with the young ladies briefly in the garden when they visited the estate," Rest replied, maintaining a harmless facade. "We engaged in nothing more than harmless small talk."

"..."

As Rest gave his feigned innocent answer, Lucas fixed him with a deeply suspicious glare.

For a few moments, Lucas glowered at him with intense loathing... before finally clicking his tongue loudly.

"For lowborn trash like you to receive an invitation from a marquis is normally unthinkable," Lucas spat bitterly. "However, one does not simply refuse an invitation from a marquis—even setting aside the recent incident."

"Is that so?" Rest replied neutrally.

"Good grief... how on earth did a 'magicless' brat inheriting commoner blood like you..." Lucas grumbled, muttering complaints under his breath.

Rest had no care for his father's discontent. He only wished Lucas would stop venting his frustration on him.

"Very well..." Lucas scoffed coldly. "Ensure you commit no rudeness toward Marquis Rosemary. Flatter him, lick his boots if you must, and apologize for Cedric's blunder."

Following his father's orders, Rest was made to prepare for the visit. For the first time since arriving at this estate, he was given a bath and dressed in fine clothes the likes of which he had never worn before.

It was treatment completely unbefitting a boy who lived in a stable. Did Lucas feel that indebted to the marquis, or was he trying to conceal how horribly he mistreated Rest?

"Looking at myself like this, I guess I'm not half bad," Rest muttered to himself. "I actually look like a proper nobleman."

Catching his reflection in the mirror, he let out a dry laugh.

He was technically born a noble, not just "looking like" one, but he had grown so accustomed to the stench of the stables that he had forgotten.

Once preparations were complete, he was placed in a carriage belonging to the Honorary House of Eberne and conveyed to the estate of Marquis Rosemary. Neither his father nor his elder brother accompanied him... Perhaps the invitation had explicitly commanded them not to come.

(Did they show consideration because I asked them not to let my father or brother know?)

The carriage traveled for a while before finally arriving at Marquis Rosemary's townhouse.

"We've arrived, lad. Take care," the driver called out.

"Thank you very much," Rest replied, offering his thanks to the familiar coachman.

With that, he stepped down from the carriage.

Stretching out before him was a grand, majestic mansion—a structure beyond all comparison to the Honorary House of Eberne.

It was a stark display of the divide between the Eberne family, who were mere honorary viscounts, and high nobility who possessed vast territorial domains.

"Welcome, Rest!" Viola called out excitedly.

"Welcome, Lord Rest!" Primula added warmly.

The instant he set foot off the carriage, two young girls came running out from the mansion.

They were girls with long, beautiful hair of gold and silver—Viola and Primula, the sisters from the house of Marquis Rosemary whom Rest had saved in the forest.

"We've been waiting for you! Thank you so much for coming today," Viola gushed. "I'm so happy to see you again!"

"We ought to have visited you personally to express our gratitude, so please forgive us," Primula added politely. "We will have tea prepared for you right away!"

"H-Huh?!" Rest stammered, flustered. "W-Wait a moment...!"

Viola and Primula each grabbed one of Rest's arms and began dragging him toward the mansion.

Rest hurriedly glanced back, only to find the coachman—a servant of the Honorary House of Eberne—gaping in utter shock.

Stunned as he was, the coachman quickly averted his gaze, looking off into the distance and pretending to whistle. He had clearly decided to pretend he saw nothing.

(I can't blame him. There's no way he could report something like this to my father.)

"Well then, let's go!" Viola declared cheerfully.

Pulled along by the two girls, Rest was whisked straight through the mansion's vast gardens.

With two adorable girls clinging to his arms, Rest could feel nothing but sheer bewilderment.

(T-This is strange... Did I really do anything to warrant being liked this much by them?)

He had saved their lives, yes, but the entire crisis had been caused by his half-brother, Cedric.

Rest had merely cleaned up his relative's mess. Could doing so truly earn him such immense favor?

"Tea is being set up in the garden," Viola explained. "Come this way!"

"We have delicious pastries as well," Primula chimed in. "Please, step right in."

Rest was led to an elegant table positioned right in the center of the garden.

Seasonal flowers bloomed throughout the spacious grounds, delighting the eyes with a brilliant tapestry of colors.

"Please, have a seat at this table," Primula invited, motioning to a chair.

Prompted by Primula, Rest took a seat at the circular table.

The sisters sat down on either side of him, and a waiting maid swiftly set out tea and cake for everyone.

"Our maid brews absolutely wonderful tea," Viola boasted happily. "And this cake was specially crafted by our master chef!"

"It is a personal favorite of mine and my sister's," Primula added shyly. "I truly hope it suits your palate, Lord Rest..."

"T-Thank you for the food..." Rest murmured, still bewildered.

Flustered by how extraordinarily close the two girls were sitting to him, Rest lifted his teacup.

The rich, fragrant aroma of black tea filled his senses. Even a complete novice could tell this was a high-grade blend.

Had he ever smelled tea so wonderfully aromatic in his past life or his present one?

"Mm..." Rest murmured softly.

Rest took a sip, allowing the liquid to flow over his tongue as he tried to savor it as best he could.

To be honest, he couldn't tell if it was exceptionally delicious or not, likely because he was so unaccustomed to drinking fine tea.

"How is it?" Primula asked anxiously.

"..."

Unsure of what reaction was expected of him, Rest simply offered his honest thoughts.

"I don't drink tea very often, so I'm not really sure..." Rest admitted, "but at the very least, I don't dislike it."

Only after uttering those words did anxiety suddenly strike him—was it truly acceptable to speak so casually to them?

They were daughters of a marquis, after all. Should he not have used formal honorifics?

"I see... What a relief," Primula sighed softly with a gentle smile.

"You must try the cake as well! I guarantee it's divine!" Viola urged enthusiastically.

The sisters, however, showed not the slightest offense, eagerly recommending the cake instead. It was a shortcake smothered in lush whipped cream, topped with brilliant red strawberries that delighted the eyes.

Rest swallowed hard.

How many years had it been since he last tasted cake?

At the very least, it was his first time since reincarnating into this world.

(Even in my past life, I rarely got to eat it. My parents never bought it for me. The only times I had it were when I used my part-time job money to buy a piece from a convenience store on my birthday...)

"T-Thank you for the food..." Rest murmured.

Suppressing the tears that threatened to spill from his eyes, Rest took a bite of the cake.

"So delicious...?!"

An explosion of sweet and tart flavors spread across his tongue, nearly driving him to agony with pure delight.

The cake was outrageously exquisite. The sweetness of the cream and the tartness of the strawberries blended in flawless harmony—rich without being cloying, an absolute masterpiece. How much time and effort must have been poured into crafting such a culinary work of art?

"It seems he likes it, Sister," Primula remarked with a soft giggle.

"Indeed. I'm so glad," Viola agreed warmly.

Gulp, munch... nom, nom...!

Rest shoveled the cake into his mouth like a boy possessed. He paid no mind to the two girls watching him from both sides; every fiber of his being was utterly focused on the dessert.

Only after devouring every single crumb did he snap back to reality, realizing with a jolt how dreadfully unrefined his manners had been.

"S-Sorry..." Rest stammered, his face burning. "I just..."

"It's quite alright, don't worry about it," Viola reassured him gently.

"It was rather adorable, actually. Just like a little child," Primula added with a playful smile.

"..."

Their tender amusement only made Rest blush all the harder.

He had completely lost his composure over the first cake of his second life. It was excruciatingly embarrassing.

Seeing his state, Viola held out her own plate of cake toward him.

"Here, you can have mine too," Viola offered kindly. "Go ahead, enjoy!"

"N-No, I couldn't possibly..." Rest protested, waving his hands.

"Please have mine as well," Primula offered, pushing her plate forward too. "Do not hesitate."

Following Viola's lead, Primula handed her plate over as well. Had he truly looked that pathetic devouring his cake?

"Ho... You all seem to be having quite a delightful time," a third voice suddenly chimed in.

The voice was unnaturally deep and chilly. Standing in the garden, having appeared without anyone noticing, was a middle-aged man.

He was a refined gentleman with neatly styled silver hair and an intelligent demeanor. Clad in an impeccably tailored suit, he radiated an unmistakable aura of nobility.

"May I join you?" the man asked smoothly.

"A-And who might you be...?" Rest asked hesitantly.

"Ah, forgive my lack of introduction," the man replied. "I am the master of this estate, and the father of the young ladies seated beside you—Albert Rosemary."

Marquis Albert Rosemary.

He was a high noble who served as Chief of the Court Magicians, standing alongside the Commander of the Royal Guards as one of the King's twin shields.

He was also the direct superior of Rest's pompous father—a man to whom Lucas could never raise his head.

"I am pleased to see you getting along so well with my daughters..." Marquis Rosemary mused, his eyes narrowing slightly. "...Ah, indeed, quite friendly."

"Ah..." Rest gasped softly.

Rest's face turned pale.

The chilling tone in Albert's voice stemmed from the sight of Rest flanked by two beautiful sisters. His precious daughters were leaning close to a boy in such an affectionate manner—no father could possibly feel composed seeing that.

"Rest, was it?" Albert said coldly. "Though you have only just met, you seem to have become extraordinarily close with my daughters."

"I-I'm terribly sorry! Please forgive my insolence!" Rest squeaked frantically.

He scrambled out of his chair and bowed his head deeply.

He didn't quite understand why he was apologizing, but given the atmosphere, he had no choice.

"Wait, Father! Don't blame Rest!" Viola interjected crossly.

"You must not pick on Lord Rest...!" Primula added, glaring at her father.

"Ugh... N-No, I am hardly picking on him..." Albert stammered, faltering under their glares.

The sisters immediately rushed to Rest's defense.

Scolded by his own daughters, Albert visibly flinched. It seemed that even for the Chief Court Magician and a prestigious marquis, his two daughters were his ultimate weakness.

"Ahem... Please, raise your head," Albert requested, clearing his throat. "I invited you here today to express my gratitude for saving my daughters. I am deeply thankful to you for coming to their aid when they were in grave danger."

"N-Not at all! On the contrary, I ought to apologize for my brother's actions!" Rest insisted.

"You have nothing to apologize for," Albert stated calmly. "Regarding what transpired in the forest, you are blameless by any measure."

As Albert took an empty seat, a maid promptly poured a cup of tea for her master.

"Honorary Viscount Eberne requested a meeting between our children, citing that they would be taking the academy entrance examinations together next year," Albert explained. "Hearing that Cedric Eberne possessed considerable magic talent, I set aside time for it... yet I never imagined he would drag my daughters into the forest without a single guard. Eberne is capable as a court magician, but his judgment is hopelessly clouded when it comes to his son. Thanks to him, I nearly lost my beloved daughters."

"..."

"It is a modest token, but this is your reward. Please accept it," Albert said.

At a gesture from Albert, an elderly butler wearing spectacles stepped forward.

The butler placed a heavy cloth pouch onto the table with a firm thud.

"What is this...?" Rest asked.

"It contains roughly fifty large gold coins," Albert replied smoothly. "A trifling sum compared to the lives of my daughters, I assure you."

"Fifty... large gold coins...?" Rest gasped, swallowing nervously.

Rest involuntarily gulped as he stared at the pouch.

A single large gold coin was worth approximately one million yen. In other words, this pouch contained the equivalent of fifty million yen.

"...I cannot accept such a massive sum," Rest declared, pushing the heavy pouch away despite the temptation.

"Saving your daughters was merely cleaning up after my foolish brother's blunder," Rest explained firmly. "I did not do it seeking a reward. I have no right to accept this."

Truthfully, he wanted money. Considering he would reach adulthood and gain independence next year, no amount of money could ever be too much.

Still, fifty large gold coins was simply too much. Banking systems did not exist in this world; he couldn't carry around such fortune, nor could he leave it sitting in a stable.

"Hmm... You show little greed," Albert remarked calmly. "However, it would cause me trouble if you did not accept it."

He stroked the pouch with his palm, the smirk on his lips deepening.

"If word spread that I failed to reward my daughters' savior, it would tarnish the honor of the house of Marquis Rosemary," Albert explained. "If you do not desire money, is there anything else I might fulfill for you? Consider it saving face for me, and speak without hesitation."

"Well..." Rest paused, lost in thought.

Put that way, he could hardly refuse outright. Rest racked his brain for a modest favor, only to realize there was indeed one thing he desired above all else.

"Um... in that case, there is one favor I would like to ask..." Rest began.

Pausing for a moment, he spoke aloud of the item he had longed for.

"Would you be willing to write a letter of recommendation for the Royal Academy of Magic?" he requested. "I plan to sit for the entrance exam next year under the commoner quota."

"Hmm? Writing a recommendation is no issue, but... commoner quota?" Albert asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes," Rest admitted neutrally. "My father despises me and does not recognize me as a member of the Honorary House of Eberne, so I cannot take the exam under the noble quota."

"Hmm... So there are complicated circumstances," Albert murmured thoughtfully. "May I ask about the details?"

"Yes..." Rest replied.

Rest briefly explained his current situation and upbringing.

"Persecuting an illegitimate child born of a maid... I see. That sounds precisely like something he would do," Albert scoffed in disgust.

Having heard the story, Albert scowled deeply, tapping his fingers against the table in annoyance.

"Eberne is an upstart noble who possesses an official title but no land," Albert noted bitterly. "He seems to harbor an inferiority complex over it, obsessing endlessly over authority and status. His attempt to betroth his son to my daughters was undoubtedly driven by that ambition."

Albert clicked his tongue in disdain, then turned his gaze back to Rest.

"I understand your situation. As for the recommendation letter for the Royal Academy..." Albert began.

""Please write it for him!!"" both sisters chimed in simultaneously.

"...Since my daughters feel so strongly about it, I shall write it for you," Albert agreed, a wry expression flitting across his face.

With a somewhat conflicted look, Albert consented to draft the recommendation letter.

"Thank you very much! This is a tremendous help!" Rest exclaimed, bowing in relief.

With this, the minimum requirement for taking the academy entrance exam was fulfilled.

He still needed to pass the actual entrance exam, but he had finally managed to reach the starting line.

"However..." Albert interjected smoothly, "...before I write that recommendation, I must test your abilities."

"Huh?" Rest blinked.

"Test him?! Father, what are you talking about?!" Viola burst out indignantly.

"She's right! He is our savior, isn't he?!" Primula added, staring at her father in disbelief.

"Naturally, I wish to express my gratitude," Albert explained patiently. "However, providing a recommendation letter means that the house of Marquis Rosemary will act as his patron."

Though he had faltered under his daughters' scolding earlier, Albert did not back down here, speaking in a firm, resolute tone.

"If I were to recommend someone lacking suitable ability, it would tarnish our family's prestige," he continued. "Furthermore, I have my position as Chief of the Court Magicians to consider. I cannot grant a recommendation without verifying your strength first."

"...I understand," Rest agreed calmly. "What would you like me to do?"

Rest accepted the condition without fuss.

Albert's reasoning was perfectly sound; there was no reason to refuse.

"It is simple... I want you to battle this man," Albert announced, clapping his hands lightly.

At the sound of Albert's clap, the elderly butler stepped forward once more.

"This man is my trusted confidant and a highly skilled magician," Albert introduced. "You shall engage in combat with him."

"Fight... him?" Rest repeated.

"A mock battle, of course—not a duel to the death," Albert clarified. "You do not necessarily need to win. Demonstrating that you possess enough power to warrant our family's backing will be more than sufficient."

"Understood," Rest declared, determination in his eyes. "Please let me do it!"

If doing so earned him the recommendation letter to take that first step toward glory, it was a small price to pay.

The butler of Marquis Rosemary, the Chief Court Magician, was bound to possess formidable strength. It would be excellent combat experience against a human opponent.

I've never fought anyone other than monsters...Rest thought eagerly. If I can gain experience fighting a human, I welcome the challenge!

Rest readily accepted the Marquis's proposal with genuine excitement.

If it meant securing a letter of recommendation and taking his first step toward future glory, Rest was all too happy to accept.


◇ ◇ ◇


Moving from the garden, they headed to the training grounds located within the Marquis's estate.

In that arena, where guards and magicians usually trained daily, Rest and the butler stood facing each other.

A short distance away, Marquis Rosemary and his two daughters watched over the scene.

"Father! What is the meaning of this?!" Viola demanded furiously.

"You are being so cruel, Father...!" Primula whimpered, glaring at him.

Viola and Primula pressed their father for answers.

They were deeply enraged that he had imposed such an unreasonable demand on the boy who had saved their lives.

"Why are you being so mean to Rest?!" Viola shouted. "Depending on your answer, I won't forgive you!"

"I won't forgive you either..." Primula added darkly. "...Even if you are our father!"

"C-Calm down, both of you!" Albert stammered, flustered.

Cornered by his beloved daughters—whom he proudly believed trusted him implicitly—Albert frantically tried to explain himself once more.

"I already explained the reason to you, didn't I?!" he pleaded. "As head of the Marquis family, I must assess his capabilities!"

Faced with his daughters' unprecedented wrath, Albert made desperate excuses.

For Albert's part, he was not arranging this mock battle out of malice.

The Royal Academy was, after all, an institution dedicated to training individuals destined to govern the state—royalty, nobility, knights, and bureaucrats.

When the academy was first founded, commoners were barred from entering. Later, the doors were opened to allow commoners to enroll, provided they possessed a recommendation from an influential figure.

When a commoner received a noble's recommendation, outsiders viewed them as a member of that noble's house. In fact, back in his student days, Albert had given a recommendation letter to a vassal of his age, enrolling him as an attendant.

"This is not a matter of personal emotion," Albert argued stoutly. "If he is to receive our family's recommendation, he must prove he possesses the strength worthy of it. That is an absolute condition!"

He was by no means mixing public duties with private feelings. He was most certainly not harassing the boy out of jealousy just because his daughters favored Rest so greatly.

"But still...!" Viola protested.

"Even so...!" Primula added.

"I never said I wouldn't write the recommendation unless he won, did I?!" Albert insisted heatedly. "I merely want assurance that he can reliably pass the entrance exam! If someone recommended by House Rosemary were to fail, our authority would be compromised!"

Albert pressed his point forcefully against his dissatisfied daughters.

"Besides, that butler is one of the most elite fighters among our retainers—a former Court Magician who retired to serve our house," Albert added. "No matter how proficient in magic the boy may be, there is no way a child could defeat him."

He was not demanding that Rest win.

So long as he put up a decent fight, Albert would gladly grant him the recommendation.

"If he truly possesses the strength to repel a White Fenrir, there is no need to worry. He will surely show appropriate results..."

Mid-sentence, a heavy thud echoed across the arena.

Startled, Albert and the Rosemary sisters turned their gaze—only to see their trusted butler rolling across the ground.

"Ugh... Urgh..."

"May I assume this counts as my victory?" Rest asked calmly.

"Not... yet..." the butler groaned, forcing himself up. "I cannot show such a disgraceful display before my lord."

"In that case, shall we continue?" Rest offered.

"Indeed... Here I come!" the butler declared, charging forward.

The butler lunged forward with fierce momentum, and Rest moved to intercept him.

Marquis Rosemary and his daughters watched in stunned disbelief as the clash between the two intensified.

"Impossible... For Deeble to be struggling like this, just who is that boy?!" Albert gasped.

"I knew it... He really is strong!" Viola marvelled.

"Lord Rest is incredible...!" Primula murmured in awe.

Stunned into silence, the father and daughters were utterly captivated by the fierce battle unfolding before them.


Rest kicked off the ground. Boosting his speed and strength with Physical Up, he darted in all directions to keep his opponent off-balance.

Ever since being taken in by the Honorary Viscount family at ten years old, he had entered the forest countless times to fight monsters.

Physical Up was the spell he had used most often. Calling it his trademark technique was no exaggeration.

This man... is strong...! Rest marvelled internally.

Clashing with the butler of Marquis Rosemary, Rest was quietly impressed.

Not even three minutes had passed since the fight began.

He had managed to land an initial blow that sent the butler flying, but Rest knew that was merely a lucky strike because his opponent had let his guard down.

Indeed, subsequent attacks of the same nature failed to land. His opponent had clearly taken the fight seriously now.

"Splendid Physical Up..." Deeble praised, parrying Rest's fist. "To think a youth not even twenty years old could wield magic with such precision...!"

The butler voiced his praise while guarding against Rest's punches.

Though easily over sixty years old, the butler moved with sharp, swift precision—matching or even exceeding the speed of fourteen-year-old Rest.

"I'm the one who's surprised..." Rest retorted, unleashing a high kick toward the butler's head. "I was actually pretty confident in my speed."

The butler lowered his posture to duck under the high kick aimed at his head.

"I have my pride as an old soldier as well," Deeble noted. "Lord Rest, your mana pool is immense, and you clearly use Physical Up on a daily basis. However... your experience in fighting human opponents is lacking, is it not?"

"...How can you tell?" Rest asked, surprised.

"Your swings are broad and honest, devoid of feints," Deeble explained. "It is proof that you have never received formal martial arts training and have fought only monsters."

"..."

The butler had struck a sore spot. While Rest appeared to be on the offensive, Deeble was parrying every strike with masterful skill.

I guess I really should learn martial arts properly, Rest thought. That guy Cedric doesn't seem to practice either, though...

The butler delivered a sharp knife-hand strike. As Rest raised his guard to protect his face, a low kick struck his left shin.

"Ouch...!"

Hit right on his shin bone, Rest let out an involuntary groan of pain.

"A feint... I see! So that's how it works!" Rest gasped.

"My, are you alright?" Deeble asked, pausing slightly.

"N-No problem...!" Rest wheezed.

His leg wobbled. He didn't think it was broken, but it was certainly bruised.

Without deactivating Physical Up, he simultaneously cast Heal to restore his injured leg.

"Oh? How versatile," Deeble remarked, impressed. "Can you cast two spells simultaneously?"

"O-Of course I can..." Rest grunted.

"Many young magicians cannot accomplish such a feat," Deeble observed. "The less experienced they are, the more they fixate on using flashy spells, neglecting precision and multi-casting. It is deplorable how many youngsters ignore the fundamentals."

"In that case... is it alright if I do this too?" Rest asked.

Having healed his injury, Rest invoked another spell. Spheres of crackling lightning materialized above his palms—two, three... expanding to five in total.

"Thunderball!"

"Ho... Lightning magic, and five of them cast simultaneously," Deeble noted.

"Take this!" Rest cried out.

He launched the spheres of lightning directly at the butler.

Deeble dodged the first and second spheres... but could not dodge from the third onward. Rest had intentionally staggered their positions and timing so they couldn't be easily avoided.

"Splendid! Not bad at all!" Deeble praised.

Even as he voiced his admiration, the butler swatted down the unavoidable lightning with his palm strike.

Though he had directly struck the lightning, he showed no signs of electrocution. Looking closely, Rest saw that his arms were coated in brown earth.

"Coating your body in magic like this is quite effective in close-quarters combat as well, you know?" Deeble instructed with a smile.

"I see... So magic can be used like that too," Rest murmured, his eyes widening. "In that case...!"

Rest attacked with lightning once more.

Though the lightning was blocked just as before, Rest used the opening to lunge straight at the butler.

"Hah!" Rest grunted, striking forward.

"Oho?!" Deeble gasped.

An exclamation of surprise escaped the butler's lips.

Rest's arms were wrapped in earth, sharpened to points like blades—an exact imitation of the magic Deeble had just demonstrated.

"My apologies. It seems you had already mastered Earth Wear," Deeble remarked.

"I just learned it right now!" Rest yelled back.

Their arms, encased in rock and earth, slammed against each other.

Heavy clashing sounds echoed repeatedly as hard stone collided with hard stone.

"Ngh...!"

After exchanging several blows, Deeble's fist slammed directly into Rest's shoulder.

As expected, a brawl favored the veteran. Rest was vastly outmatched in pure hand-to-hand combat skills.

"Then... how about this?!" Rest shouted.

Spheres of lightning appeared around him. Launching them, he lunged forward with rock armor coating both arms, all while keeping Physical Up active.

Physical Up, Thunderball, Earth Wear... A Trio-Cast of magic.

Rest was simultaneously invoking and maintaining three distinct spells at once.

"This is...!" Deeble gasped.

Intercepting the lightning with his earth-coated arms, the butler exhaled sharply.

"Simultaneous activation of three spells! Even among the Court Magicians, there are few who can manage such a feat...!"

"You say that while blocking them so easily!" Rest shot back.

"It seems... I must take this seriously, or I shall truly be defeated!" Deeble declared.

Just as Rest was about to drive home a full-power strike, the butler vanished from sight.

"High Accelerator!"

"Ngh...?!"

A sharp chop struck the back of Rest's neck, rattling his brain.

The powerful blow forcibly canceled his active magic, and his consciousness rapidly faded.

Without even understanding what had been done to him, Rest pitched forward and lost consciousness.


"Splendid performance..." The butler voiced his admiration as he looked down at Rest.

A strike executed at speed faster than the eye could follow—almost like teleportation. For the elderly butler named Deeble, High Accelerator was his ultimate trump card.

Had he not resorted to that spell, he might well have lost. At the young age of fourteen, Rest possessed skill formidable enough to make a former Court Magician break out in a cold sweat.

"Rest!" Viola cried out.

"Lord Rest!" Primula screamed.

Seeing Rest collapse, the Rosemary sisters rushed forward with anguish in their voices.

Checking his body, they found a few bruises, but no severe injuries.

"Listen here, Deeble! Didn't you go way too far?!" Viola snapped furiously.

"She's right! There was no need to go to such extremes!" Primula scolded.

Viola and Primula berated the butler together.

Faced with their intense fury, the butler offered no excuses, bowing deeply at a right angle.

"...My humblest apologies, Lady Viola, Lady Primula," Deeble replied contritely. "I simply did not have the leeway to hold back."

"Calm yourselves, my daughters," Albert interjected, stepping in to soothe them. "That was a mock battle. Do not blame Deeble."

Albert gently admonished his two daughters.

"More importantly... tend to his injuries," Albert instructed.

""...!""

The sisters hurriedly began applying healing magic to Rest.

Raising his head, the butler bowed gratefully to his master for defending him.

"Think nothing of it," Albert said softly, then added in a lower tone. "More importantly... how did he seem through your eyes?"

"...I believe my assessment aligns precisely with yours, My Lord," Deeble replied respectfully.

"That young man... Lord Rest possesses abilities more than worthy of receiving the backing of the house of Marquis Rosemary. I can personally guarantee it."

"I see. Indeed..." Albert murmured.

Albert was of the exact same mind.

As a magician, Rest possessed exceptional skill and a mana capacity far beyond his years.

Though he still lacked experience and formal knowledge, he displayed potential that might one day surpass even Albert himself, the Chief Court Magician.

"He is bound to become a grand archmage whose name will go down in history," Deeble whispered softly so the girls wouldn't hear. "It would be worth bringing him into our family, even if it means arranging a marriage with one of the young ladies."

"..."

The butler had whispered the suggestion out of earshot of the sisters.

That, too, was precisely what Albert had been thinking—what he had found himself contemplating.

House Rosemary had only two daughters and no male heir. Eventually, one of the sisters would have to take a husband to inherit the house.

For a family renowned for magic, any prospective son-in-law had to be an outstanding magician. That was a non-negotiable requirement.

That was precisely why Albert had arranged an opportunity to meet Cedric, who had been rumored to be a prodigy.

(This boy... Rest would be beyond reproach. However...)

Rest was strong. Though unrefined, with proper experience and education, he would surely become a great archmage. Albert could state with certainty that he was someone worth bringing into the family.

Yet, contrary to his rational judgment, his feelings as a father refused to easily accept it.

"It's alright, Rest! I'll cast healing magic on you right away!" Viola promised tenderly.

"We are right here with you. You will be fine, Lord Rest...!" Primula added, holding his hand.

Viola and Primula, his two beloved daughters, were clinging close to the unconscious Rest, nursing him with devoted care.

Far from just one of them... it was blatantly obvious that both sisters harbored deep affection for Rest.

(Taking him as a son-in-law... well, fine. But could it be that he ends up taking BOTH of my daughters...?!)

Though Viola and Primula had contrasting personalities, at their core, they were identical to Albert's wife—the Marchioness Rosemary.

They possessed a stubborn streak that refused to yield on matters of importance. If both girls determined Rest to be their intended husband, neither would back down.

(Rest, I acknowledge your talent! I am grateful for your rescue of my daughters, and I will write the recommendation for the academy entrance exam! BUT...!)

"...I never said I would give you BOTH of my daughters...!" Marquis Rosemary muttered in agony.

Watching his two daughters hover over the boy like devoted lovers, the Marquis wept tears of blood in his heart.

Seeing his two daughters nestling so close to the boy as if to their beloved suitor, Marquis Rosemary screamed internally as though weeping tears of blood.


◇ ◇ ◇


"Grow into a kind child."

That had happened just a short while before his mother's death.

Lying in her bed, his mother had gripped Rest's small hand, speaking in a frail, trembling voice.

"Be strong. Be resilient. Make many friends... and be happy."

"Mother..."Rest had whispered back.

"I'm sorry I won't be able to watch you grow into an adult... Thank you for making me a mother. Thank you for coming into this world..."

Rest felt that he was the one who owed all the gratitude.

In his past life, Rest had grown up without receiving love from his parents, his life brought to a violent end when his own father stabbed him to death. For someone like him, the ten years he had spent showered in his mother's unconditional love were as brilliant as precious gems.

Even though he was an unwanted child born of that cold, irresponsible man, his mother had loved him whole-heartedly. He possessed nothing but gratitude for her.

Thank you for giving birth to me.

Thank you for loving me.

When he expressed those feelings to her... his mother had smiled peacefully, breathing her last with an expression of pure bliss.

"Rest, you must never hate the world."

After his mother passed away, a familiar priest had spoken to the grieving Rest.

"Many trials will surely come your way. But... they do not exist to make you miserable. The Goddess never gives anyone a trial they cannot overcome."

"..."

"Live strongly and uprightly. Do not be bound by hatred or resentment. Help others, and live with a smile. If you do... people will surely gather around you, and loneliness will soon be forgotten."

The priest's words had proven at least half true.

Shortly after, Rest was taken in by his father, and countless trials befell him. Sleeping in stables, eating scraps... days far more harsh than his life as a commoner awaited him.

Frankly, it felt like a miracle that he had lived through it all without becoming consumed by hatred for his father, stepmother, and Cedric.

If he had taken a wrong turn somewhere, he might well have become a vengeful monster.

He surely would have turned a vengeful blade toward them, blaming them for the absurd cruelty of his life.

(But... it didn't turn out that way.)

He had held back right at the brink.

Though he harbored a desire to show up his father, outsmart his stepmother, and far surpass Cedric, he had no wish to kill them.

Because doing so would surely make his mother and the priest sad.

To avoid saddening those who had cherished him, and to one day state with pride that their love for him had not been in vain.

Rest resolved to forge his own path forward, upright and true.


"...Huh?" Rest muttered groggily.

"You're awake, Rest!" Viola gasped in relief.

"Lord Rest, are you in pain anywhere?" Primula asked anxiously.

He felt as though he had been having a nostalgic dream.

Opening his eyes, Rest found himself staring at an unfamiliar ceiling, both of his hands held firmly by the two girls.

"Um... what happened to me...?" he murmured.

Peering down at his face with worry were the Rosemary sisters.

As he spoke, tears welled in the corners of their eyes, giving way to relieved smiles.

"I'm so sorry, Rest... It seems our butler went overboard..." Viola apologized softly.

"We invited you here to thank you, yet this happened... We are so very sorry..." Primula added contritely.

"...No, it's fine," Rest assured them. "I actually learned a lot from it."

He released their hands and sat up in bed.

He felt no pain, nor did he have any visible injuries. They had likely cast healing magic on him while he slept.

"We're going to give Father and Deeble a piece of our mind!" Viola huffed. "We won't forgive either of them!"

"...We certainly will not," Primula agreed coldly.

Viola's face burned with demon-like rage, while Primula's bore a chilling expression like an ice witch of the frozen north.

Seeing the identical twins sport such terrifying expressions of fury, Rest shuddered.

"N-No, really, I'm completely fine!" Rest squeaked hastily. "Nothing hurts at all, and I truly meant it when I said I learned a lot!"

In truth, fighting Marquis Rosemary's butler had highlighted many of his shortcomings.

His lack of experience against human opponents and his insufficient hand-to-hand combat skills were areas he needed to work on going forward.

"Still... I lost," Rest mused, scratching his head. "Does this mean I won't get the recommendation letter?"

"What are you talking about?! Of course you will!" Viola exclaimed.

"Huh?" Rest blinked.

"We will absolutely make Father write that letter!" Viola declared. "That butler, Deeble, is a former Court Magician! No one expected you to win against him!"

She placed her hands on her hips, speaking with complete certainty.

No wonder he was so strong—he was indeed a seasoned veteran magician.

"Lord Rest will definitely be granted the recommendation," Primula affirmed.

She offered a tender smile, building upon her sister's words.

"Father promised to write the recommendation letter," Primula continued. "Starting next year, you will be our classmate!"

"Assuming we all pass the entrance exam, of course!" Viola chimed in.

Primula smiled reassuringly at Rest, while Viola puffed out her chest with delight.

"I see... Thank you," Rest smiled warmly. "Thanks to you two, the path forward has opened up for me."

"It's only natural after you saved our lives," Viola insisted. "Besides... while you'll easily pass the practical magic exam, have you been studying for the written portion?"

"Ah... probably not..." Rest admitted nervously.

"Then we'll lend you our reference books!" Viola offered cheerfully.

"Umm... is that really alright?" Rest asked. "I'd feel bad imposing on you so much."

"Of course it's fine! Right, Primula?" Viola turned to her sister.

"Indeed," Primula agreed, her eyes lighting up. "Why don't we have Lord Rest come live in this mansion instead? That way, we can teach him whenever he runs into something he doesn't understand."

"That's wonderful! What a brilliant idea!" Viola agreed.

She snapped her fingers in delight at Primula's proposal.

Feeling the conversation veer off in an absurd direction, Rest raised his voice in panic.

"N-No, no, no! No matter how you slice it, I can't intrude that much!" he protested frantically. "A boy living in a house with young girls your age is just...!"

"My, why not?" Viola asked, tilting her head.

"What do you mean, why..." Rest stammered.

"Father is here, and Mother will be back soon though she's away right now," Viola pointed out reasonably. "The butler and maids live here as well... so there's no reason to worry about such trivialities!"

"Precisely," Primula chimed in smoothly. "It will be far more enjoyable with Lord Rest here. Going through the hassle of delivering reference books all the way to the Honorary Viscount's estate would be nonsensical."

Viola and Primula pressed their arguments relentlessly, thoroughly blocking all of Rest's avenues of escape.

"You're an illegitimate child and aren't treated well there anyway, right?" Viola argued. "In that case, I doubt Honorary Viscount Eberne will object."

"Besides, I would hate visiting that estate just to see you, Lord Rest," Primula confessed with a shudder. "There is a creepy person there."

"Indeed, I'd rather never lay eyes on that thing again," Viola agreed with a shiver. "Just thinking about him gives me goosebumps!"

The "creepy person" was undoubtedly Cedric.

He was being treated like a piece of vermin. The sisters had utterly come to despise him.

"A-Alright..." Rest finally relented, overwhelmed by their persistence. "If the Marquis approves, I'll accept your hospitality..."

In the end, Rest accepted their offer, completely won over by the sisters' momentum.

One could say he had dumped the burden of persuading the Marquis onto their shoulders.

"It's settled then!" Viola cheered, leaping up. "We must go inform Father right away!"

"We have to prepare a guest room as well!" Primula added excitedly. "Ah, we are going to be so busy!"

Viola and Primula rushed out of the room as if racing each other.

Left behind, Rest stared blankly at the closed bedroom door, stunned by how drastically his life had shifted in a single day.


ToC




0

Post a Comment

close