NWQA9y4fvqTQ9rz5lZU0Ky7avuunQd0OpkNmfOuq
Bookmark
📣 IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THE ADS ON THIS WEB, YOU CAN JUST USE AD-BLOCK, NO NEED TO YAPPING ON DISCORD LIKE SOMEONE, SIMPLE. | JIKA KALIAN TIDAK NYAMAN DENGAN IKLAN YANG ADA DIDALAM WEB INI, KALIAN BISA MEMAKAI AD-BLOCK AJA, GAK USAH YAPPING DI DISCORD KAYAK SESEORANG, SIMPLE. ⚠️

[ENG] The Infinite Magician: Persecuted as a Child of Commoner’s Without Magical Power. In truth, I Possess Infinite Magic Volume 2 Chapter 4

 

Chapter 4: An Invitation from the Student Council



After safely escorting Celestine back to the ducal estate, Rest returned home.

Viola and Primula questioned him about why he was back so late, and when Rest told them everything that had happened, they were thoroughly astonished.

A few days later, a reward arrived from House Crocus, along with news explaining how the aftermath had unfolded.

The suspicious attackers were indeed members of the Queen Dowager faction. Half of them had been arrested while still knocked unconscious by my magic. For the crime of attempting to kidnap a duke's daughter, they faced harsh punishments, including the forfeiture of their noble titles... but strangely enough, the other half who had escaped were found slashed to death in a back alley.

The culprit remained unknown, though it was suspected to be the result of internal strife or a silence campaign within the Queen Dowager faction.

Marquis Eiger, the leader of the Queen Dowager faction, denied any involvement in the incident.

Since the captured perpetrators also insisted during interrogation that Marquis Eiger had nothing to do with it, the investigation's reach failed to touch him.

The coachman who had been taken prisoner was safely rescued as well... and yet, leaving behind an indelible sense of unease, the whole ordeal finally came to a close.


◇ ◇ ◇


"Rest-san, do you have a moment?" Celestine asked.

It was after class one day, a week after the incident.

Inside a classroom at the Royal Academy, Celestine approached Rest to speak with him.

"Do you need something?" Rest asked.

"Yes, I have something rather confidential to discuss," she replied softly. "That goes for Viola-san and Primula-san as well. Do the three of you have time right now?"

Celestine offered a gentle smile, tilting her head slightly.

Call it a blessing in disguise, but ever since that incident, the expression Celestine wore when looking at Rest had become much more natural.

It was the look reserved for a close acquaintance. On occasion, her cheeks would flush faintly while chatting with him, setting his heart fluttering in surprise.

"I don't mind, but... are you two fine with it?" Rest asked, turning to the sisters.

"...It's not a problem," Viola answered after a loaded silence.

"...I'm fine with it as well," Primula echoed softly.

Viola and Primula nodded, sharing a meaningful pause before responding.

For some reason, even as Rest and Celestine grew closer, the eyes the Rosemary sisters directed at Celestine harbored a growing glint of vigilance.

It wasn't outright hostility. On the surface, they still appeared on friendly terms, so Rest didn't pry into it, careful not to step on a sleeping dragon's tail.

"In that case, please follow me," Celestine said with a nod.

Leaving the classroom, Rest and the sisters followed Celestine as she guided them down the academy hallways.

They climbed a flight of stairs, brought to a floor they rarely had occasion to visit during regular classes.

"Where are we going?" Rest inquired.

"You will see soon enough... Right this way," Celestine replied smoothly.

They arrived before a door bearing a plaque that read Student Council Office.

When Celestine knocked on the door, a prompt "Come in" echoed from within.

"Pardon the intrusion," Celestine said, opening the door.

She ushered Rest and the Rosemary sisters inside.

Three people were present inside the room.

The first was a male student seated at a desk near the back of the room. Judging by the armband attached to his uniform, he was an upperclassman.

He had short golden hair and handsome features, though his frame was clearly muscular and well-honed.

The remaining two were a man and a woman standing near the side walls.

The man on the right had brown hair, a rugged face, and a large, burly build.

The woman on the left possessed sharp, cool features and silver hair, boasting a slender, tall, model-like figure.

(If this is the Student Council Office... these people must be the student council officers, right?) Rest thought to himself.

The blonde upperclassman sitting at the back desk was likely the student council president.

Though Rest had never met him in person, he at least knew who this year's student council president was.

"Thank you for coming. Nice to meet you," said the man who appeared to be the master of the room, standing up from behind the desk.

Rising from his seat, he offered a refined greeting.

"I am Andrew Iwood, serving as this term's student council president. I'm a third-year in the Knight Course, and, incidentally, the Second Prince of this kingdom."

Second Prince Andrew Iwood.

He was the half-brother of that foolish Prince Rodel who had caused trouble a few days ago.

Rest had heard rumors that he was an honor student in the Knight Course... but that was the extent of Rest's knowledge about him. Among the royal family's three brothers, Andrew was a figure whose name was rarely brought up.

Naturally, the one who drew the most attention among the princes was Richard Iwood, the First Prince and prospective next king.

He frequently appeared at official functions and was entrusted to act as regent in the king's absence. Even Rest, who had no ties to royalty, recognized Richard's face from seeing him address the crowds during ceremonies.

The second most prominent was the Third Prince, Rodel Iwood.

Though in his case, it was notoriety for all the wrong reasons—he was widely known as a foolish prince who caused endless trouble. Rodel was treated as a problem child not only in the royal palace and the academy, but his reputation was so abysmal among the populace that even commoners gossiped about what a good-for-nothing he was.

And sandwiched between those two was the Second Prince, Andrew Iwood.

One didn't hear bad rumors about him, but by the same token, he held no standing that attracted much spotlight.

For better or worse, he was an understated individual, and even among nobles, many had never personally met him.

(So this is His Highness Andrew... the Second Prince.)

"I had Celestine summon you here on my behalf. Forgive the sudden invitation, Rest, as well as Lady Viola and Lady Primula," Andrew said warmly.

"...It's a pleasure to meet you. I am Rest, Your Highness Andrew," Rest said, bowing his head.

"Good day, Your Highness Andrew," Viola greeted gracefully.

"G-Good day..." Primula added, bowing nervously.

Rest offered a respectful bow, and the Rosemary sisters promptly followed suit.

Seeing the three of them bow in accordance with noble etiquette, Andrew waved a hand magnanimously.

"Please, no need for such formality. I invited you today not as royalty, but as the student council president," he reassured them.

Andrew gestured toward a set of sofas positioned in the student council office.

"For now, please take a seat over there. Shall we talk?"

Rest and the Rosemary sisters sat side-by-side. Andrew took a seat on the opposing sofa, with Celestine sitting beside him, while the man and woman from earlier stood attentively behind their sofa.

"I asked you here today because I have a favor to request. To put it bluntly... would you join the student council?"

He presented the offer calmly, his eyes fixed on the three of them.

"Us... join the student council?" Rest blinked, surprised by the unexpected proposal.

"Yes. I believe you are all more than qualified," Andrew affirmed.

Shrugging slightly, the prince continued in an even tone.

"Student council officers are chosen from those with outstanding academic records and distinguished lineage. In an academy filled with nobles, one needs either exceptional skill or a high-ranking family background to lead effectively."

"Certainly, Viola and Primula satisfy both of those criteria..." Rest conceded.

"As do you, Rest. You have the backing of Marquis Rosemary's house, and I've heard you achieved the top score in the practical portion of the entrance exam."

Andrew curled the corners of his mouth into an ironic smirk.

"I also heard you put a stop to my foolish brother's rampage. And just recently, you rescued Celestine from the Queen Dowager faction's reckless attack, didn't you? Truly impressive work."

"...Thank you," Rest replied noncommittally.

Unable to speak openly about his feud with Rodel, his reaction turned out rather lukewarm.

"I have no intention of prying... Back to the main point. Currently, the student council consists of the three of us and Celestine. With upperclassmen graduating, we have yet to fill the vacant spots. I would like you, Rest, to join the executive branch, while Lady Viola and Lady Primula serve as general council officers."

While standard council officers handled administrative duties, the executive branch was tasked with disciplining troublemaking students—essentially acting as a disciplinary committee.

Members of the executive committee were authorized to draw weapons and cast magic to maintain order within the academy.

"Serving on the student council adds prestige to your reputation. You'll build valuable connections, which will work to your advantage in future employment. I don't believe it's a bad proposition, wouldn't you agree?" Andrew asked.

"Well..." Rest hummed thoughtfully.

"I believe... it isn't a bad idea," Primula offered softly beside him.

As Rest pondered, Primula chimed in with her quiet opinion.

"Those who join the student council are either high-ranking nobles or talented individuals who will likely enter the kingdom's core leadership in the future. Building connections with such people is quite advantageous for us as nobles," she explained.

"I agree that joining would be beneficial," Viola added. "Of course, if you object, Rest, we won't force you."

Viola and Primula seemed to favor the idea. Since there was much Rest still didn't understand about noble society, if both sisters gave their approval, he had no reason to decline.

Besides, Celestine was already a member, so there shouldn't be any major issues.

"Incidentally... though I occupy the delicate position of Second Prince, I am still royalty. Should anything arise, I possess enough authority to protect you," Andrew added with a reassuring smile.

"...Understood. I humbly accept the invitation," Rest agreed, bowing respectfully.

"Ah, wonderful! Having you join us is incredibly reassuring," Andrew nodded with a satisfied smile.

The prince gave a firm, approving nod.

"Now then, let's explain your detailed duties... Celestine will brief Lady Viola and Lady Primula, while a member of the executive branch will explain things to Rest."

"Please follow me this way," said the female upperclassman standing behind Andrew, opening the door and gesturing for Rest.

She stepped out into the hallway, motioning for him to come along.

"See you two later then," Rest said to the sisters.

"Yes, see you shortly," Viola replied with a nod.

Parting ways with Viola and Primula for the moment, Rest stepped out into the corridor.

"The executive committee has been assigned a separate room apart from the student council office. I will escort you there," the woman explained.

"Thank you... Um, may I ask your name?" Rest asked.

"Riranda Marker. Third-year in the Knight Course and treasurer of the student council. I am one of His Highness Andrew's aides, though you need not bother remembering my name," she stated bluntly.

The woman offered the response in a cool, detached tone.

Sensing neither malice nor hostility, Rest figured she simply had a terse personality.

Without engaging in unnecessary small talk, Riranda led Rest down the hall to a specific door.

"This is the executive committee room... Excuse me. It's Marker," she announced, knocking on the door.

"Ah, come in," a voice promptly responded from inside.

At her call, permission to enter was given immediately from within the room.

Opening the door, Rest saw several students gathered inside.

"Gack...!"

"Oh?"

Rest locked eyes with one of the boys in the room.

It was a familiar face—Danila, the boy Rest had sparred with during swordsmanship class.

"..."

Wearing an intensely awkward expression, Danila abruptly averted his gaze from Rest.

(So this guy was a member of the executive committee too... I just hope he doesn't harbor a grudge and start trouble with me,) Rest thought.

"I see a new face. Am I correct in assuming he is the new recruit?" asked a female upperclassman standing near the back of the room with crossed arms.

The female upperclassman standing at the back of the room with her arms crossed spoke up.

"I am Isis Carbelt, a third-year in the Magic Course and head of the executive committee. My subordinates address me as 'Leader' or 'Captain,' so feel free to call me the same."

She was a woman with brown hair tied in a ponytail, exuding a dignified atmosphere. Though her curvaceous figure left no doubt of her gender, her proud, chest-out posture gave her the gallant air of a handsome young nobleman.

"I am Rest. I accepted His Highness Andrew's invitation to join the executive committee," Rest introduced himself with a polite bow.

"Ah, yes. I've heard rumors about you—a feisty first-year who doesn't hesitate to take action, even when dealing with royalty," Isis said with a smirk.

"..."

That felt like quite an exaggeration. Rest wondered if the incident with Rodel had been blown out of proportion as it spread.

"As you likely know, the executive committee serves as the public security force of the Royal Academy. Our duty is to crack down on students who disrupt order. Ordinarily, drawing weapons or casting spells on campus without permission is forbidden, but members of the executive committee are an exception. We are authorized to use necessary force to preserve order," Isis explained.

"Yes, I am aware," Rest nodded.

"Then you should understand that anyone granted such sweeping authority requires the martial prowess and mindset to match. Do you possess those qualities?" she challenged.

Isis curved the corners of her well-shaped lips into a defiant grin.

"Words are cheap. Show me with results... I want you to join the investigation into an incident currently troubling the academy."

"!"

That was fast. Throwing him right into the deep end felt a bit sudden, but Rest didn't mind a merit-based, result-oriented approach.

"What kind of incident is it?" Rest asked straightforwardly.

"Dealing with a trespasser. For about a week now, an outsider has been entering the academy grounds without authorization. I want you to catch them," Isis ordered.

"A trespasser... at this academy?" Rest frowned.

As an educational institution attended by royalty and nobility, security at the Royal Academy was naturally tight.

With former knights serving as guards, it wasn't the sort of place someone could easily slip into.

"Could it be... a spy from another kingdom?" Rest mused aloud.

"Who can say? Their objective remains unknown. However, allowing a trespasser to run rampant reflects poorly on the executive committee. We must resolve this swiftly... Will you lend us your strength?" Isis asked.

"Of course," Rest assented without hesitation.

While the trespasser's intentions were unknown, depending on what they were after, Viola and Primula could be put in danger. Even without the committee's request, Rest couldn't simply turn a blind eye.

"Good answer. Well then, let's head out on patrol—"

"Captain Isis! It's him!" shouted an unfamiliar upperclassman who burst into the room without knocking.

The door swung open abruptly as the student yelled out in breathlessness.

"The intruder has entered the campus... He's on the second floor of the East Wing!"

"All units, move out!" Isis barked instantly.

Following her order, every member of the executive committee present bolted into the corridor.

(Whoa... Impressive. It feels just like detectives in a TV drama,) Rest thought, watching them rush off.

"Rest-san, aren't you going as well?" Riranda asked, turning to him.

She looked at him quizzically as he calmly saw off the other members.

"Of course I am... It's just that my upbringing wasn't quite as refined as theirs," Rest replied with a smirk as he threw open the window.

Though they were on the fourth floor, he didn't hesitate for a second before leaping out into the open air.

"If it's the East Wing, taking a shortcut from here is much faster... [Wind Control]!" Rest called out.

Manipulating the wind, he glided through the sky, taking a direct aerial route from the main building toward the East Wing.

"[Life Search]!" he cast while airborne, expanding his mana detection.

Normally spreading spherically around himself, he gave the detection field a directional focus toward his destination.

Filtering out extraneous noise, he narrowed his search exclusively to the East Wing straight ahead.

(With so many students around, I didn't think it'd be easy to spot... Oh, wait, there he is. Plain as day.)

Someone was sprinting down the second-floor corridor of the East Wing at breakneck speed, clad in a powerful aura of mana.

Given the situation, there was a ninety-nine percent chance that figure was the trespasser.

"Over there...!" Rest zeroed in on the moving shadow, steering his wind downward.

Beyond the window of the second-floor corridor, he caught sight of a suspicious figure garbed entirely in black robes.

"Bingo! [Wind Ball]!" Rest shouted, shattering the glass window from outside to leap into the building.

Rest crashed through the window from outside, diving headfirst into the hallway.

Deciding to blame the broken window on the intruder, he planted himself squarely in the black-robed figure's path.

"[Thunder Ball]!" Rest barked, unleashing the spell without hesitation.

He fired the magic without asking questions; since there were no other students in the hallway, there was no danger of collateral damage.

The sphere of lightning, crackling with purple electricity, hurtled straight toward the robed figure.

"[Shadow Wall]!" the intruder commanded, casting a spell of their own.

The black-robed figure activated magic as well, raising a pitch-black wall to absorb the bolt of lightning.

The speed and precision of the casting were extraordinary—decidedly not the work of an amateur.

"[Shadow Lance]!" the intruder yelled back.

"[High Accelerator]...!" Rest grunted, boosting his movement speed as the dark wall collapsed and sharp obsidian lances thrust forth.

The wall shattered, unleashing a flurry of dark spears directly toward him.

Evading the barrage with enhanced speed, Rest slipped past the shadow lances to close into striking distance.

"Hah!" Rest shouted, throwing a sharp punch aimed directly at the intruder's jaw.

"Guh...!"

Rest aimed a strike right for the jaw. Though taken off guard, the robed figure narrowly dodged the fist, taking a massive backstep to put distance between them.

"As if I'd let you get away!" Rest barked.

"Tch... [Shadow Cutter]!" the intruder clicked their tongue.

Rest dug his feet into the floor, giving chase down the corridor.

The robed assailant fired blade after blade of dark energy while retreating backward, attempting to keep Rest at bay.

(This guy... is tough...!) Rest realized.

The intruder's movements were remarkably nimble—they were unquestionably employing physical enhancement magic.

On top of that, they were simultaneously invoking offensive magic—an advanced technique known as multi-casting.

(Boosting their speed while firing off spells in tandem as if it's second nature... Doing effortlessly something that would challenge even a court mage means this intruder is definitely no ordinary foe!)

It was no wonder the guards and executive committee members hadn't been able to capture them until now.

The black-robed trespasser was thoroughly seasoned in magical combat—far from an amateur.

"All the more reason I can't let you escape...!" Rest declared grimly.

"There he is! Over there!" a sharp shout resounded from the far end of the corridor.

The voice rang out from the direction in which the intruder was fleeing.

Isis and the executive committee members had finally caught up.

"The recruit is engaging him! That's our intruder. Corner him!" Isis ordered loudly.

"Sir!" the committee members bellowed in unison.

Following Isis's command, the officers charged forward.

Positioned on the far side of the corridor, they caught the black-robed trespasser in a pincer maneuver.

"Kuh...!"

Realizing they were trapped like a rat in a corner, the intruder threw themselves out of the window Rest had broken earlier.

"[Earth Bind]!" Rest shouted, invoking a binding spell.

Ropes of earth shot up from the floor tiles, extending toward the trespasser.

The earthy cords coiled around the intruder's legs like snakes, but they immediately severed the bindings with dark magic.

"[Shadow Cutter]! [Wind Control]!" the intruder shouted.

Controlling the wind, the robed figure soared into the night sky to escape, taking flight just as Rest had done earlier.

Their flight speed was surprisingly fast—so fast that Rest wasn't sure he could catch up even if he pursued them with the same magic.

(To be able to fly so effortlessly, he really is an incredible mage... Should I try out that new spell here?) Rest pondered.

Rest decided to test a new spell he had been developing. Though incomplete, if it hit its mark, it should bring the fleeing intruder crashing down.

"Spell activation...!" Rest muttered, focusing his mana.

A black sphere manifested in his palm, causing the surrounding light to dim for a brief instant.

Taking aim with the nameless, unfinished spell, he unleashed it into the sky.

"Pierce...!"

In that moment, a flash of blinding light illuminated the sky.

Faster than wind, sharper than sound, a beam of pure white light streaked through the air and struck the robed figure cleanly.

"Nuoh?!" the intruder cried out.

Scorched all over by the white beam, the robed intruder lost control of their flight magic and plummeted, crashing headfirst into the shrubs in the academy garden.

"Crap... Did I overdo it?!" Rest gasped, breaking into a cold sweat.

A chill ran down Rest's spine as he worried he might have killed the man... but the intruder's legs sticking out of the hedge were twitching rhythmically. It seemed he was still alive.

Seeing the legs twitching continuously from the bush, Rest let out a relieved sigh, glad he hadn't inadvertently ended a life.

“Phew... That was a close call,” Rest muttered, letting out a breath. “Still, even though it’s unfinished, it packed surprisingly more power than I expected...”

The spell he was currently developing didn't even have a name yet. In Rest's eyes, its performance fell far short of a passing grade.

The mana dispersed too much, failing to match his mental image in the slightest. What an unsightly, clumsy spell it was.

There was still plenty of room for improvement. Even so, as evidenced by how it had knocked out the black-clad figure in a single blow, its destructive force was undeniable.

(Once I complete this spell, it’ll definitely become my trump card... I can become even stronger...!)

“He fell! Secure him now!” a voice shouted outside.

Isis bellowed as she peered out the window.

Members of the executive committee rushed into the garden, quickly restraining the black-clad intruder who had crashed into the hedge.

“Splendid work, Rest!” Isis praised. “I never expected you to take him down all by yourself!”

She gave his back a forceful thwack, offering her commendation with a hearty grin.

“Without a shadow of a doubt, you’ve proven yourself,” Isis declared with a laugh. “From today on, we’ll be relying on you as a full-fledged member of the executive committee!”

“...Thanks,” Rest replied, wincing slightly as he bore the brunt of her rough welcome.




◇ ◇ ◇


“I must pluck the tender, youthful green fruit and capture it upon my canvas! This is no mere improper desire—it is sacred artistic pursuit!”

“Swords and magic are utterly useless! Only art can save this world! As an artist of love and peace, it is my divine mission to lock the fleeting, radiant moments of young maidens' springtimes within my paintings!”

“This is an unforgivable suppression of artistic freedom! Release me at once!”

To put it simply... the black-clad trespasser was not a foreign spy after all.

His true objective was peeping. He had broken into the grounds to spy on the royal academy's female students in compromised states so he could paint them.

It was utterly absurd that someone would go to such dramatic lengths, using high-level magic just to peek at girls... but as it turned out, he was a former court mage.

Back during his tenure at court, he had been banished after getting caught spying on female mages, female knights, and maidservants while they changed or bathed.

Because of his exceptional abilities and numerous achievements, he had escaped harsher punishment and was merely exiled from court. Yet, unable to cast aside his perverted impulses toward young women, he had set his sights on the female students of the Royal Academy next.

Fortunately, thanks to the academy’s tight security, he hadn’t managed to accomplish much before being caught, minimizing the number of victims. The intruder was promptly handed over to the order of knights and thrown behind bars for good this time.


“I see... So that’s what happened,” Viola said, her upper lip curling in disgust. “He’s a disgrace to all men and a total enemy to women.”

“How horrifying...” Primula murmured, wrapping her arms around herself. “Just thinking that I might have been watched makes my skin crawl.”

When Viola and Primula later heard the story of the black-clad intruder—or rather, the pervert—their expressions turned utterly repulsed.

Given how exceptionally beautiful both sisters were, they undoubtedly would have fired up the self-proclaimed artist’s creative urges. Rest felt relieved that the issue had been resolved before either of them fell victim to his antics.

“I had heard rumors about a suspicious person being spotted on campus...” Viola mused with a sigh. “I never imagined a former court mage could do something so idiotic. Father must be nursing quite a headache over this.”

“I’m sure he is...” Rest agreed, a strangely stiff expression stiffening his face. “His Lordship certainly has it rough...”

Rest nodded tensely at Viola’s observation for some reason.

After all, a former court mage meant he had once been a subordinate under Marquis Rosemary, the Chief Court Mage.

He had fired and banished a misbehaving subordinate, showing leniency only out of respect for his past merits. Yet, the man had gone right back to repeating the exact same shameless acts.

It was only natural that Marquis Rosemary would feel responsible for having dealt out such a light punishment in the first place.

“So... Lord Rest, have you been officially accepted as a member of the executive committee?” Primula asked, leaning closer to him in curiosity.

As she pressed herself against him to ask, Rest nodded, his face still somewhat rigid.

“Yeah... She praised me for a job well done,” Rest answered. “Apparently, that pervert had been giving them a huge headache. She clapped me on the shoulder and said she’d be counting on me from now on...”

“That’s wonderful news!” Primula beamed brightly. “The student council executive committee serves as the guardians of order in this academy. Its members are respected as elite warriors regardless of noble or common status. In fact, Father and Mother met while serving on the committee and eventually got married!”

Albert Rosemary, the Chief Court Mage, and his wife, Irishe Rosemary, were both hardcore martial combatants—unrivaled masters of magic and warfare.

If the two of them had been keeping a watchful eye as members of the executive committee back in their day, no crime in the academy could have possibly slipped past them.

“I guess I’ll have to work hard so I can become a proper deterrent against crime, too,” Rest said thoughtfully.

“If it’s you, Rest, you can definitely do it!” Viola chimed in with complete confidence. “I guarantee it!”

“I agree!” Primula added with a warm smile. “As long as Lord Rest is protecting us, we’ll feel completely safe!”

Both girls gave him their unequivocal seal of approval without a moment’s hesitation.

Having people who gave him their absolute, unconditional support was deeply reassuring. In his past life, Rest had never known anyone like that. Even his own family, who should have been the ones he trusted most, had been nothing more than deceitful enemies to him.

(I’m truly grateful to them... I need to make sure I treasure them properly...)

Rest once again savored the sheer good fortune of having met the two sisters.

To him, Viola and Primula were nothing less than goddesses of fortune.

Ever since meeting them, Rest’s life had been on a constant upward trajectory, constantly moving toward better things.

(I’m so thankful to them... I’ll keep protecting them with everything I’ve got...)

“Setting all that aside for a moment...” Rest faltered, renewed determination giving way to bewilderment. “Is this situation really not strange at all...?”

Even as he recommitted himself, Rest finally voiced the glaring question regarding their current circumstances.

The place where the three of them were having this heart-to-heart conversation—this very space—was a bathroom.

Enveloped in thick white steam inside the spacious bath chamber, the three of them sat chatting on small bath stools.

There was no bathtub here. Instead, a large ceramic vessel filled with piping-hot stones stood in the center.

Pouring water over the heated rocks produced a dense vapor that caressed their skin, drawing out beads of sweat... It was what was known as a steam sauna.

This particular sauna was located inside the bathroom of Marquis Rosemary’s townhouse.

Rest had been invited by the Rosemary sisters and virtually dragged into joining them in a mixed bath.

“Why exactly am I taking a bath with the two of you...?” Rest asked, sweat pouring down his brow.

“What do you mean 'why'?” Viola responded, tilting her head innocently. “Is something wrong with it?”

“It’s not strange at all,” Primula agreed naturally. “After all, we’re family!”

In response to Rest’s confusion, the Rosemary sisters stated their matter-of-fact logic once again.

It was not as though the sisters—or Rest, for that matter—were completely naked. All three were wearing light white bath robes, barely concealing their sensitive areas.

Even so... the bath garments, drenched in steam and sweat, clung tightly to the sisters' bodies, accentuating their lovely curves and creating an indescribably sensual scene.

“We’re wearing clothes, so what’s the problem?” Viola pointed out smoothly. “It’s perfectly wholesome.”

“Wholesome... Yeah, I guess it’s wholesome...” Rest muttered, repeating the word as if trying to persuade himself.

He nodded along to Viola’s words, trying to force his racing heart to calm down.

Viola’s reasoning wasn't entirely wrong. In this world, mixed-gender bathing wasn't all that uncommon.

Much like European saunas in his previous world where mixed-gender facilities were normal, saunas here were rarely divided strictly by gender like in Japan.

While complete strangers wouldn't bathe together, it was hardly unheard of for close male and female friends to share a sauna.

“Right... Mixed bathing is normal in this world. And we’re fiancés. So it’s not weird. Not weird at all...” Rest droned, his voice turning stiff and robotic.

“Why are you suddenly talking like a robot...?” Viola asked, raising an eyebrow.

“If you stare at us with such an intense look, you’ll end up making us feel embarrassed too...” Primula murmured, her cheeks flushing pink.

Seeing Rest struggle so overtly with his bashfulness caused the two sisters to flush with sheepish giggles.

(This is bad... I look like a total closet pervert right now. I can’t make them feel uncomfortable. Get a grip, Rest!)

Rest tried his absolute best to acclimate himself to the overwhelming situation.

However... a relentless follow-up blow was immediately dealt to his fragile composure.

“Sorry to keep you waiting! We’re here!” a cheerful voice boomed.

“Please forgive our delay. Getting prepared took a little longer than expected,” another refined voice followed.

The steam room door swung open, and two more young women walked in... or rather, strolled right into the lion’s den.

The newly arrived ladies clad only in thin bath garments... were none other than Yuri and Celestine.

“Whoa, it’s so hot in here!” Yuri marveled, wiping her brow. “We have baths at home, but this is my very first time in a sauna!”

“Come to think of it, I’ve heard Lady Irishe, the Marchioness, is an avid fan of saunas,” Celestine remarked pleasantly. “She often enjoys them alongside the Queen.”

“This situation is insane! Absolutely insane!” Rest blurted out, leaping to his feet in a heartfelt cry of despair.

Needless to say, the Rosemary sisters possessed stunning figures, but Yuri and Celestine were equally well-endowed, unabashedly displaying their healthy, fully-formed figures through the veil of white steam.

Sharing a bath with his fiancées was one thing, but having two female classmates present as well was unmistakably beyond reasonable limits!

(What kind of absurd bonus stage is this...?! Is God dumping a lifetime of rewards on me all at once to make up for my miserable past life...?!)

For any man, it was a paradise beyond imagination. Yet lacking the audacity to stare directly at the ladies' bodies, Rest was trapped in total mental chaos.

To understand how things had escalated to this point, one had to rewind back a few hours.

Celestine, who was already a veteran officer in the student council, had meticulously explained the duties to the newly joined Rosemary sisters.

The three were classmates who had grown quite close, and the sisters had long been inviting Celestine to visit their estate. Once their student council work wrapped up for the day, they decided to finally fulfill that promise.

Since tomorrow was a holiday, they suggested that if it got too late, Celestine could simply stay overnight.

They also happened to run into Yuri, who was staying late in the classroom to work on an assignment, and invited her along to host a sleepover party.

(I knew girls did these pajama party sleepovers... I thought it had nothing to do with me, so I planned to blend into the background and not disturb them...!)

And yet... Rest had been naturally counted as part of the sleepover group from the very start.

Since Rest already lived in the Rosemary estate, calling it a "sleepover" felt a bit off for him. Nonetheless, he found himself eating dinner alongside four gorgeous girls, chatting in the lounge... and then effortlessly swept into joining them in the sauna.

“Setting Viola and Primula aside for a second...” Rest asked, turning to the new arrivals. “Are you two really okay with me being here?”

“Okay with it? What are you talking about?” Yuri asked, tilting her head in genuine confusion.

“You and I are friends!” Yuri declared brightly. “Taking a bath together sounds like a super fun event!”

“Well, yeah, but I’m a guy...” Rest countered.

“Gender is a trivial detail!” Yuri scoffed, waving her hand dismissively. “I won’t let you be left out over something so petty!”

“Th-That’s not really the issue here... wait, what?” Rest stammered, bewildered.

Rest turned his gaze toward Celestine, silently pleading for help.

“Fufu...” Celestine chuckled softly.

Unlike Yuri's airheaded nature, Celestine clearly understood Rest's predicament. Even so, she merely offered him a graceful, amused smile.

“If it is you, Rest-san, I do not mind at all,” Celestine explained serenely. “While I would certainly hesitate to show my skin to someone untrustworthy, I know full well that you are a gentleman deserving of complete confidence.”

“I-I wouldn't go that far...” Rest stammered, his face growing hotter.

“Are you saying you are not trustworthy?” Celestine asked playfully, narrowing her eyes with a mischievous twinkle. “Does that mean you harbor improper thoughts toward us?”

“...”

That question was downright unfair. There was no way Rest could admit, 'Yes, I'm looking at you with perverted intentions,' and if he denied it, the logical conclusion would be, 'Then there's no problem, is there?'

Rest had no choice but to stay in the sauna with the four girls—even if he was sweating buckets for reasons entirely unrelated to the heat.

“Ugh...” Rest groaned, curling into a ball.

“...You truly are a delightful person, Rest-san,” Celestine giggled, her shoulders shaking softly at his reaction. “I can completely see why Viola-san, Primula-san, and Yuri-san are so fond of you.”

Watching Rest shrink into himself in silence, Celestine looked immensely entertained.

“If Prince Rodel possessed even half of your sincerity and charm, I might have found him far more agreeable...” she mused, her eyes dimming slightly as she let out a gentle sigh. “I must admit, I feel quite envious.”

The breathtakingly beautiful duke's daughter narrowed her eyes as if looking at something brilliant.

“Talented individuals tend to grow arrogant,” Celestine continued softly. “They look down on others and act purely on self-interest... Yet, you possess none of that egoism, Rest-san. You constantly show respect to those around you and act as a true gentleman. That is a rare and precious quality.”

“I don’t understand all that complicated stuff, but I think Rest is an awesome guy too!” Yuri piped up, grinning broadly. “I like him a lot!”

Following Celestine’s praise, Yuri offered her own glowing endorsement of Rest.

“Ever since I met Rest on that mountain, my world has expanded so much!” Yuri beamed. “Through him, I made so many great friends... I’m truly grateful. If he asked for it, I’d willingly give him everything I have!”

“Wha—Yuri, what in the world are you saying?!” Viola shrieked, snapping around in shock.

“Did I say something weird?” Yuri asked, tilting her head innocently.

“Of course it’s weird!” Viola barked back.

“Lord Rest is our fiancé, you know?” Primula reminded her sternly.

“...?”

Pressed by both Viola and Primula, Yuri looked entirely oblivious as to why they were questioning her.

“In other words... if I become Rest’s wife too, all three of us can stay together forever, right?” Yuri reasoned cheerfully. “Wouldn’t that be super fun?”

“...!”

Viola, Primula... and Rest, who was listening nearby, were all left completely speechbound.

Yuri clearly had no idea she was saying anything scandalous. She wasn't plotting to steal anyone's fiancé; she simply voiced the idea out of pure, unadulterated enthusiasm because it sounded fun.

“Oh my? That does sound quite delightful,” Celestine purred smoothly. “I almost feel tempted to join in as well.”

“Ehhhh?!” the trio gasped in unison.

To make matters worse, Celestine dropped a massive bombshell of her own right into the middle of the room.

“If I were to abandon Prince Rodel and marry Rest-san instead, every day would surely be filled with joy...” Celestine teased with a light giggle before adding, “Oh, please do not look at me like that. I am merely joking, of course.”

“That didn’t sound like a joke at all...” Viola muttered under her breath, glaring suspiciously.

"It didn't sound like a joke to me..." 

"Indeed... We cannot lower our guard," Primula agreed, nodding solemnly.

As Viola and Primula narrowed their eyes in distrust, Rest—who for some reason was receiving overwhelming praise from four gorgeous maidens—felt himself sinking deeper into a spiral of utter confusion.

“I can't take this anymore...” Rest groaned softly.

His brain had thoroughly overheated, leaving him entirely dizzy and lightheaded.


◇ ◇ ◇


The scene shifted to the sitting room of the Rosemary townhouse.

Fresh from the bath, the four maidens had changed into sleepwear and settled down onto comfortable, plush sofas.

All four wore nightgowns draped with light cardigans. Since Celestine and Yuri hadn't brought clothes, the Rosemary sisters had kindly lent them extra sleepwear.

(Man... I feel like I just went through something incredible...)

Rest covered his face with his hands, blushing as the memory of what had just transpired washed over him again.

If this were a manga, he probably would have sprayed a jet of blood from his nose from sheer stimulation. Seeing all four of them in clinging bath garments had been that devastatingly impactful.

(Now that I think about it... maybe I should have taken a closer look? No, who am I kidding, I never would've had the nerve to stare at girls in their bathwear like a creep.)

“By the way...” Celestine began smoothly after everyone had taken a sip of chilled fruit juice and relaxed. “I would like to discuss something a bit more serious. The Monster Hunting Festival is approaching soon, is it not?”

She brought up the topic just as everyone was relaxing with their cold drinks.

“The Monster Hunting Festival...?” Rest asked, tilting his head in unfamiliarity.

“Ah, you are unaware of it, Rest-san?” Celestine explained graciously. “It is an annual monster-hunting event held by the Royal Academy.”

Celestine kindly laid out the details for him.

“While commoners do attend the Royal Academy, it was originally established as an educational institution for nobles. And a noble's paramount duty is to protect their territory and subjects.”

“The enemies that threaten our lands and people... are bandits, foreign armies, and monsters,” Viola added.

“Subduing monsters that appear within our domain is one of our primary duties as nobles,” Primula agreed.

Viola and Primula seamlessly picked up where Celestine left off.

“Subduing monsters...” Rest repeated thoughtfully. “So the Monster Hunting Festival is basically a practical drill for that?”

“Precisely,” Yuri chimed in with a nod, joining the discussion with keen interest.

Celestine nodded in agreement with Yuri's addition.

“Participation in the Monster Hunting Festival itself is voluntary,” Celestine elaborated. “Those who wish not to participate are under no obligation to do so. However... students aspiring to become Imperial Knights or Court Mages overwhelmingly sign up. Demonstrating your prowess by hunting numerous monsters provides a massive advantage for career prospects after graduation.”

“I see. So an event like that exists...” Rest nodded slowly, feeling a spark of excitement. “Monster hunting is my specialty, so I’m actually looking forward to it.”

Rest nodded in understanding.

He had been fighting monsters as part of his training ever since he was a child, so he had zero reservations. In this Monster Hunting Festival, he would hunt monsters to his heart’s content and fulfill his noble duties in style.

“Oh, no, Rest-san. You will not be participating in the hunt itself,” Celestine interjected gently, shaking her head.

“Huh? Really?” Rest blinked, his carefully prepared resolve suddenly deflating.

Celestine’s calm denial crushed his newfound enthusiasm on the spot.

“During the Monster Hunting Festival, the Student Council takes on an operational role,” Celestine explained. “Council officers handle administrative tasks, while members of the Executive Committee serve as emergency rescue staff.”

“Rescue staff?” Rest echoed.

“Yes,” Celestine continued. “The festival takes place in the Subnock Plains to the east of the royal capital, where students hunt monsters in small teams. Because the vast plains cannot be monitored by faculty members alone, Executive Committee members patrol the area to rescue participants in case of emergencies.”

“I see... So that’s how it works,” Rest said, nodding in comprehension.

Even if they were nobles, students unaccustomed to real combat could easily find themselves in grave danger.

Having capable personnel standing by to rescue them in an emergency was indeed essential.

“Normally, rescue staff duties are assigned to top-performing upperclassmen in their second year or above,” Celestine noted thoughtfully. “So if you prefer not to take on the task, Rest-san, I can speak with Prince Andrew on your behalf...”

“No, I’ll do it,” Rest cut in quickly. “I have no problem with it.”

“If it’s Rest, it won’t be a problem at all!” Viola assured with a smile. “After all, he’s strong enough to drive off a White Fenrir!”

“Lord Rest will handle it easily,” Primula agreed, nodding warmly. “He can even trade punches with Mother!”

“Rest’s got this in the bag!” Yuri cheered loudly. “We took down that gigantic bird together!”

Viola, Primula, and Yuri all nodded in unison, completely aligned in their faith in him.

While Rest appreciated their overwhelming trust, it put a fair bit of pressure on his shoulders. He would have to work hard so as not to betray their expectations.

“Everyone truly places their utmost trust in you, Rest-san...” Celestine murmured, a faint shadow touching her eyes. “I am beginning to feel genuinely envious.”

A momentary cloud passed over Celestine’s exquisite features.

Rest surmised she was likely comparing him to her own fiancé, Prince Rodel.

“Lady Celestine...” Primula began hesitantly, choosing her words with extreme care. “Is it truly impossible for you to break off your engagement with His Highness?”

Primula asked timidly, her voice filled with gentle concern.

It was a question everyone in the room shared—or rather, everyone except Yuri, who was looking on with a completely clueless expression.

Celestine was kind, polite, and exceptionally capable—the very picture of a future wise wife and loving mother. That someone like her was forced to marry a tyrannical fool of a prince like Rodel was nothing short of a tragedy.

“At the very least, I cannot refuse it from my side,” Celestine answered calmly. “He is royal blood, after all, and we cannot risk allowing His Highness to be manipulated by factions harboring hostility toward the Royal Family.”

She explained that with dangerous elements like the Queen Dowager’s faction lurking around, Prince Rodel could not simply be left to run wild without supervision.

Still, Rest couldn't help but feel it was completely wrong for Celestine to be sacrificed as a living pawn just to babysit him.

(Prince Rodel, the Third Prince, huh... I really wish that guy would just reform himself somehow.)

Rest recalled the stupid prince's smug face.

This was a man who fired offensive magic at people without hesitation—even at his own fiancée. As sorry as Rest felt for Celestine, he couldn't picture Rodel ever becoming a decent human being.

(Honestly, it'd be great if he'd just annul the engagement from his side, like in those romance novels...)

Rest recalled the web novels his high school classmates used to talk about in his previous life.

If that fool of a prince would just fall head over heels for some other woman and publicly annul his engagement to Celestine, she would finally be freed from babysitting that brat.

“I see... That must be rough,” Viola sighed gently, trying to lighten the mood. “Um, would you like some milk tea?”

“We have cookies as well, Lady Celestine,” Primula offered, offering a small plate of pastries.

“I don’t really get it all, but should I go punch him for you?” Yuri asked casually, cracking her knuckles.

Viola, Primula, and Yuri each tried to comfort Celestine in their own way.

“Thank you, I shall gladly accept...” Celestine chuckled softly, taking a cookie before turning to Yuri. “And Yuri-san, please do not go punching anyone or doing anything reckless.”

“Well... if there’s anything I can do to help, just let me know,” Rest offered warmly. “I can take you to the batting cages again or whatever else you need.”

“Thank you very much, Rest-san...” Celestine said with a gentle smile, before suddenly blinking as something occurred to her. “Ah, that reminds me.”

Celestine gave a wry smile at Rest’s thoughtful offer as she remembered an important detail.

“Regarding the Monster Hunting Festival... I believe Prince Rodel will likely be participating as well. His suspension should be lifted by then.”

“Ugh...” Rest groaned, letting slip a noise he definitely shouldn't have made in front of young ladies.

He cringed at his own unseemly grunt.

(That idiot prince in a school event... I really hope he doesn't pull any ridiculous stunts...)

Rest desperately hoped the guy would claim something like, 'A prince such as myself has no business doing lowborn work like monster hunting,' and decline to participate altogether.

Unfortunately... Rest's bad premonitions had a nasty habit of coming true.

“Why is it...” Rest muttered with a shudder, rubbing his arms. “Even though we just got out of the sauna, a chill is running straight down my spine...”

And that ominous foreboding would, sure enough, hit the mark dead-on.

At the Monster Hunting Festival one month later, Rest would once again find himself wiping the idiot prince's rear end.



ToC

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

close